• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

“Revolution in Thought: A new look at determinism and free will"

But we have been given the ability of consent.
Consent and non-consent are perceived outcomes. They have no objective existence other than as experiences, i.e. biochemical responses to environmental stimulae. There is no 'gifter" involved (though there are lots of grifters selling one).

Reactions: DBT
If it is deterministic ten cellmate change from pollution was inevitable.

Lions, tigers, and feed on other organisms, is that harm or just nature?

Humans are not the only cultures to use tools and affect the environment.

Army ants on the move devour everything in ts path it can kill. Leaf cutter ants. Tree pests destroy forests.

We are violent screechy advanced chimps with guns and nuclear weapon.

The combination of our brains, dexterity, and articulate speech gibes us science which gives us the ability for large scale exploitation of the environment.

We do what all organisms do, expand until limited by resources or predators.

There is a history of civilizations expanding, over consuming, and collapsing.

From a documentary I think it is the Incas who it is believed poluted their water and farmlands from processing mortar for large scale construction.

Is this a new take which people on this forum already discussed with you like, at least several years ago?

It has been ongoing, on and off, for a decade or more. The given definition of determinism is not my personal definition, just how it is defined. Where, if determinism is true, the past states of the system must necessarily set the present state of the system, which in turn sets/determines the future states of the system.
We are very similar to computer systems that have learned to take in information, compare options based on the available data, and spit out the best response based on that input.
We are also very similar to a rock rolling down a hill. We submit to the forces governing our actions, and follow the path of least resistance until our potential energy is used up.
:shrug:
I’m getting impatient for the astounding revelation portion of this program.
But we have been given the ability of consent. Nothing can be done to us without our consent. The standard definition implies that determinism is doing something to us without our consent. That’s why people are up in arms. People know intuitively that they are participants in the choices they make. They are not simply rocks rolling down a hill.

We have the ability to consent and decide, but what we in fact do consent to, or not consent to, do this rather than that - given determinism - is determined by everything that brings us to that point in time where whatever option is taken,must be taken necessarily with no possibility of an alternate action.

Which is not a matter of being forced, just determined.

Is this a new take which people on this forum already discussed with you like, at least several years ago?

It has been ongoing, on and off, for a decade or more. The given definition of determinism is not my personal definition, just how it is defined. Where, if determinism is true, the past states of the system must necessarily set the present state of the system, which in turn sets/determines the future states of the system.
We are very similar to computer systems that have learned to take in information, compare options based on the available data, and spit out the best response based on that input.

Any information that we receive is inseparable from the system itself, as is the state of the brain/mind that acquires and processes that information.
True. The only difference between what I am presenting and the standard definition is that the past is gone. It cannot cause the present. The memory of what occurred presents conditions in the present that determine our choices or preferences, but we must give consent. Nothing is chosen without our consent so we cannot blame something or someone for what is our responsibility in an action.

The past is gone and the future is yet to happen, yet the system - if deterministic - progresses or evolves from past to present and future states of the system without deviation or realizable alternate actions.

Each and every point in the past was a present state of the system, as shall each and every point in time in all future states of the system.

People know intuitively that they are participants in the choices they make.
People also know intuitively that nature abhors a vacuum, that the world is flat, and that an object in motion will come to a stop unless propelled by a force.

Intuition is an awful way to get at truths about reality.
That's certainly a fashionable belief at the moment. It's not obvious to me that it is in any way accurate.

Consent and non-consent are perceived outcomes. They have no objective existence other than as experiences, i.e. biochemical responses to environmental stimulae. There is no 'gifter" involved (though there are lots of grifters selling one).

They can be outcomes. (i.e., I consented to this and now must deal with the consequences) They can be gifts (i.e., I consented to give my share of the money for the teacher's gift). I am talking about decision making. Consent is what must take place whenever you make a choice. Even if you were being held prisoner and were being tortured in order for your captors to get information out of you, you may choose to give them the information they want rather than continue to be tortured. You are consenting. Consent is a prerequisite for any choice made, even if it's the lesser of two evils. For example, you could die before giving information that would be a death sentence for a family member. No one can pry your mouth open and force information out of you unless you consent to it.

Last edited:
If it is deterministic ten cellmate change from pollution was inevitable.

Lions, tigers, and feed on other organisms, is that harm or just nature?

Humans are not the only cultures to use tools and affect the environment.

Army ants on the move devour everything in ts path it can kill. Leaf cutter ants. Tree pests destroy forests.

We are violent screechy advanced chimps with guns and nuclear weapon.

The combination of our brains, dexterity, and articulate speech gibes us science which gives us the ability for large scale exploitation of the environment.

We do what all organisms do, expand until limited by resources or predators.

There is a history of civilizations expanding, over consuming, and collapsing.

From a documentary I think it is the Incas who it is believed poluted their water and farmlands from processing mortar for large scale construction.
You're making a huge leap that human beings don't have the capacity for change and that we will ultimately destroy ourselves. That could happen if we continue the way we are, especially with nuclear capability. This knowledge lies outside of the framework of modern thought, so there is no way you can compare what is happening now and concluding that the trajectory of where we are headed is inevitable. Yes, total destruction can happen unless there is a major shift. That's what I'm trying to demonstrate; we can now change that trajectory by a complete shift in human conduct based on a change in the environment.

Any information that we receive is inseparable from the system itself, as is the state of the brain/mind that acquires and processes that information.
True. The only difference between what I am presenting and the standard definition is that the past is gone. It cannot cause the present. The memory of what occurred presents conditions in the present that determine our choices or preferences, but we must give consent. Nothing is chosen without our consent so we cannot blame something or someone for what is our responsibility in an action.

The past is gone and the future is yet to happen, yet the system - if deterministic - progresses or evolves from past to present and future states of the system without deviation or realizable alternate actions.

Each and every point in the past was a present state of the system, as shall each and every point in time in all future states of the system.
Points in a system do not explain how human beings use information from the past to make present day choices. As the author stated, the past is not here. It can't CAUSE the present, which is very problematic when we are dissecting what is true and what isn't. Humans take in information from the past (using their memory) and make choices based on those past experiences. Many of their choices are influenced by what occurred, but the past does not cause their choices as if to say they are dominoes without any say at all. Humans are able to contemplate. The past is a huge part of that contemplation, but again, the past does not CAUSE the present. If anyone can't temporarily accept this observation, I won't be able to continue because the discovery hinges on this fact.

The idea that mind is an independent reality in isolation is old pre 20th century metaphysics.

However, no one here to my knowledge has ever argued for that. That would be libertarian free will. My position and those of others is compatibilist free will.

if we shoot someone we cannot use the excuse that we didn’t do it because we have no self.
Sure we can, but if we are right, then we must accept that the judge has no choice but to reject our claim, because he has no self either. It's not his fault that he won't believe that it's not our fault.

Hard determinism debayes always founder on this; If hard determinism is true it makes no difference to anything.

A completely deterministic universe looks exactly the same as one in which we have freedom of action, for the simple reason that we only get one go around on each action.

How do you tell whether a choice is, or is not, forced when you can only ever have a sample size of one?
That’s true, but suppose you could really run an experiment and “back up” the universe, and then replay it with the same initial conditions. If, at the termination of this replay, a person made the exact same choice as he or she did in the first iteration, and if you replayed the same history again and again and the person made the same choice, it still would not prove hard determinism. The compatibilist simply points out that the person will always make the exact same choice given the exact same initial conditions and antecedent events because that is precisely what he or she wants to do, under those particular circumstances.

The compatibilist doesn’t reject determinism. The compatibilist rejects HARD determinism, while agreeing that we ourselves are part of the deterministic stream. The means a novelist REALLY writes a novel. This is crucial, becuase it provides independent justification for compatiblism, also known as soft determinism. Hard determinism is really PRE-determinism, and it suggests absurdly that the novel was written before the novelist was born. How did that happen? The big bang knew how to write novels some 14 billions years before they were actually written? How did the big bang figure out how to write novels?

But you continue to omit that humans are part of the deterministic process, and not mindless meat puppets of the big bang. Deterministically, a menu of options is generated from which humans can determine the next output in the system.

Free Will has to do with autonomy.

First off, the past does not reach into the future. It does not control us; the past is dead and gone the moment it births the present.

This means that our causes, while they caused us, do not actually impinge on our autonomy. After all, if I launch a robot without any means to contact, communicate, or reprogram it, there is nothing I can do short of physically restraining it which would impact its behavior or function. It doesn't matter that the program is a simple one to follow a line on the floor, it is nonetheless doing that autonomously, despite the fact that I caused that autonomy. Clearly autonomy can be caused.

Only objects "in the present" are challenges to our present autonomy. I could challenge the autonomy of the robot by physically restraining it.

IF instead I programmed it such that it had a remote control, I could also challenge it's autonomy by turning on the remote control.

But this changes nothing of the fact that challenges to its autonomy require present action.

When something autonomously does something, we say it was "responsible" for that action. Someone may have been responsible in the past for creating those, but it's still responsible NOW as what it IS.

Further, the only responsibility that can be sanely actioned on is a present responsibility, because you can only be responded to in the present. You aren't responsible NOW, for example, for "releasing a robot". You WERE responsible for that until the robot was released. You might be responsible now as "someone who, at an unacceptable high probability, may make and release another robot", however.

Responsibilities, to be real, require a thing about you about which response, if leveled, would effectively create change of the truth value of the statement.

Last edited:
To summarize, what you seem to be saying is that we need a new definition of determinism, not the definition that is traditionally used, which is that a combination of past events combined with the laws of physics cause events to happen without deviation, including human actions. This is the hard determinist position that DBT espouses, that human will is not free because what we do now, is determined by the past. You, on the other hand, seem to be saying that we lack free not because of that kind of determinism, but because of a different kind, which is our inner nature which compels us to move in the direction of what we believe to be greater satisfaction, whether it is or not. Is that correct?
What we do is determined by antecedent events, as well as our heredity and our immediate environment, but we are not caused by these things as if to say we are not agents of our own choices. The problem is with the words "past" and "cause" because the past is gone so it cannot cause the present. IOW, we cannot say according to how determinism is presently defined; the past caused me to shoot that person. I had no choice in the matter. Of course you had a choice. What would be the point of contemplation, which is a human attribute, if we couldn't compare alternatives to decide which choice is preferable based on our particular circumstances and the situation before us? As was explained, our memory of past experiences, our personalities, our beliefs, our genetics, our knowledge base, all factor into the decisions that we find most preferable from moment to moment, but this is all occurring in the present. This will become important as we proceed. I know that my explanation is spotty at best, so I am going to give you another long excerpt that may clarify things a bit better. I really hope you take this in because it's an important chapter and leads up to Chapter Two, which is where you will find his discovery.
This is, more or less, what I think.

if we shoot someone we cannot use the excuse that we didn’t do it because we have no self.
Sure we can, but if we are right, then we must accept that the judge has no choice but to reject our claim, because he has no self either. It's not his fault that he won't believe that it's not our fault.
No one has a choice once it is made, but you are jumping ahead by assuming that excuses will be necessary.
Hard determinism debayes always founder on this; If hard determinism is true it makes no difference to anything.

A completely deterministic universe looks exactly the same as one in which we have freedom of action, for the simple reason that we only get one go around on each action.

How do you tell whether a choice is, or is not, forced when you can only ever have a sample size of one?
I'm not sure what you mean by "forced." Choices are sometimes made under duress and, but again, no one can force out of you what you don't give permission to or force you to do what you make up your mind not to do, for over this we have absolute control. What do you mean by a sample size of one? Try to make a choice that you haven't consented to and let me know what you come up with.

That’s true, but suppose you could really run an experiment and “back up” the universe, and then replay it with the same initial conditions. If, at the termination of this replay, a person made the exact same choice as he or she did in the first iteration, and if you replayed the same history again and again and the person made the same choice, it still would not prove hard determinism. The compatibilist simply points out that the person will always make the exact same choice given the exact same initial conditions and antecedent events because that is precisely what he or she wants to do, under those particular circumstances.

The compatibilist doesn’t reject determinism. The compatibilist rejects HARD determinism, while agreeing that we ourselves are part of the deterministic stream. The means a novelist REALLY writes a novel. This is crucial, becuase it provides independent justification for compatiblism, also known as soft determinism. Hard determinism is really PRE-determinism, and it suggests absurdly that the novel was written before the novelist was born. How did that happen? The big bang knew how to write novels some 14 billions years before they were actually written? How did the big bang figure out how to write novels?
I agree that when hard determinism is defined in the way you suggest, it is absurd, but that is what is being contested, the definition, which is faulty. As far as compatibilism, they are also playing with words. In one sense they say that we have no free will if we have a gun to our head or have OCD but could be judged harshly according to how much "free will" a person has if they don't have a gun to their head or have OCD. They use the term "free will" arbitrarily by fabricating a definition that allows them to accept the status quo of blame and punishment while trying desperately to make their kind of free will compatible with determinism without contradiction. I understand why they have done this. We need to hold people accountable, yet the knowledge of determinism is being supported more and more everyday by science. This is their concerted effort to reconcile this dilemma, but it's flawed.

Last edited:
I will make my viewpoint as simple as possible as someone who has never had much interest in philosophy but who also doesn't believe we have much if any free will. I tend to bend towards determinism but maybe not hard determinism. I think of it this way, while I despise Trump and consider him a huge threat to the country, I don't think he can help who he is. Imo, based on my reading, he has symptoms of psychopathy, a disease of the frontal cortex, which we have no effective treatment for. Psychopaths lack empathy as well as any type of a moral compass. He also obviously suffers from the mental illness known as malignant narcissism and based on my decades working as a nurse who cared for both mentally ill people and people with dementia, he certainly exhibits symptoms of dementia. He belongs in a confined area, to protect the rest of us from him. I had a patient who honestly believed she was a queen with billions of dollars and she would get angry if anyone denied her that status. In reality, she was an older woman, poverty stricken and living in an assisted living facility, so she was harmless. He reminds me a bit of her, but he's not harmless due to his political status. As long as people worship him and agree with him, it's all good, but if you don't, he will say that he hates you, like for example Taylor Swift after she endorsed Harris. I'm not trying to make this political but we all know these people so they are examples of why I don't find free will to be a real thing. If we do have any, it's very limited. Based on reading some of these discussions, the jury is still out. ;)

That doesn't mean we shouldn't have prisons, it means they should be humane places that keep dangerous people away from the rest of society, unless or until they can be positively influenced. Sadly, many if not most of our current prisons in the US are far from humane.

I put it like this. We are all victims or benefactors of our genetic and environmental influences. So, imo, people can change to some extent based on the influences they are exposed to. Mental illnesses are hard to treat successfully, so that's part of it too, but if someone who is bipolar with schizo effective disorder, like my former patient the queen, is treated with medications that are effective, they might change. Effective meds for mental illnesses are rare.

I enjoyed reading two rather simple books about free will by Richard Oerton. One was "The Nonsense of Free Will" and the other was "The Cruelty of Free Will". I was already skeptical that we have free will, based on my life experiences with a large variety of people from diverse backgrounds, as well as having several mentally ill family members, but I liked the way that author explained it. He supports hard determinism. One doesn't need a degree in philosophy to understand his explanations, so the books were perfect for someone like me.

Have fun discussing one of IIDB's favorite topics. Not sure it's been determined for me to continue to post in this thread. :giggle:
Those who support compatibilist free will, which remember is also know as soft DETERMINISM, would agree with most of what you say. No compatibilist denies that we are exempt from our genes and upbringing, and certainly not from the effects of mental illness. What we deny is that just because we didn’t choose our nature or nurture, it follows that we can’t choose anything at all, including what color shirt to wear or what soft drink to choose. That’s a huge non sequitur.

No one has a choice once it is made, but you are jumping ahead by assuming that excuses will be necessary.

I'm not sure what you mean by "forced." Choices are sometimes made under duress and, but again, no one can force out of you what you don't give permission to or force you to do what you make up your mind not to do, for over this we have absolute control. What do you mean by a sample size of one? Try to make a choice that you haven't consented to and let me know what you come up with.

I agree that when hard determinism is defined in the way you suggest, it is absurd, but that is what is being contested, the definition, which is faulty. As far as compatibilism, they are also playing with words. In one sense they say that we have no free will if we have a gun to our head or have OCD but could be judged harshly according to how much "free will" a person has if they don't have a gun to their head or have OCD. They use the term "free will" arbitrarily by fabricating a definition that allows them to accept the status quo of blame and punishment while trying desperately to make their kind of free will compatible with determinism without contradiction. I understand why they have done this. We need to hold people accountable, yet the knowledge of determinism is being supported more and more everyday by science. This is their concerted effort to reconcile this dilemma, but it's flawed.
Peacegirl, what I would say is this: you and your author’s conception of time is broadly Buddhistic, which is fine and dandy with me, because, as mentioned, it has real support in modern physics. And it sounds to me as if you and your author’s conception of determinism/free will is mainly compatibilist free will, which, remember, is still DETERMINISM — it’s called soft determinism. However, you’re free to reject that label if you wish; I get the idea that you are calling yourself a determinist while contesting the standard definition of determinism. So go ahead and lay out the rest of your argument.

Peacegirl, what I would say is this: you and your author’s conception of time is broadly Buddhistic, which is fine and dandy with me, because, as mentioned, it has real support in modern physics. And it sounds to me as if you and your author’s conception of determinism/free will is mainly compatibilist free will, which, remember, is still DETERMINISM — it’s called soft determinism. However, you’re free to reject that label if you wish; I get the idea that you are calling yourself a determinist while contesting the standard definition of determinism. So go ahead and lay out the rest of your argument.
It is not compatibilist free will because, in the account of determinism that the author demonstrates [accurately], there are no exceptions. We cannot be a little bit pregnant. We either are or we are not. The same goes for free will. We either have it or we don't. We cannot have both. Just because we can make choices "freely", which is a colloquial expression only and can be said accordingly: "I did this of my own free will" (without force, influence, or external pressure), does not mean we have the "free will" that compatibilists use to judge the moral rightness of a choice? Aren't they saying in so many words that if a person chooses what they believe is not morally right, that that person could have chosen otherwise? How could a person have chosen otherwise when determinism says that's impossible? Yes, a person can do otherwise when there is reason to change, but that does not grant us the kind of free will compatibilists are using. What is their motive? Obviously, it's to separate those who should be given a free pass and those who should not, and it boils down to the same status quo that society has always used; critical judgement, blame, and punishment. They just try to justify it in a different way.

I'm trying to lay out the rest of my argument, but this is hard knowing that no one (it appears) has read any of the three chapters I gave on my second post. I am urging those people who are sincerely interested to read it and report back because by my trying to explain in my own words not only why man's will is not free, but what follows when this knowledge is extended (Chapter Two), it will create gaps in understanding and most likely create more resistance. I will explain again that man's will is not free because we can only move in one direction (i.e., the direction of greater satisfaction when there are meaningful differences from which to choose). We cannot move against our nature and choose what we don't prefer when what we do prefer is available.) It can't be done. This knowledge of having no free will, when extended properly, will prevent the very thing that blame and punishment could never accomplish.

Last edited:
How does Buddhist time have support in physics?

Back
Top Bottom