• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

“Revolution in Thought: A new look at determinism and free will"

Every now and then I browse this thread for entertainment, although I have no desire to engage in constant flame throwing regarding free will, I did find a line that I thought was very ignorant and while it's off topic, it's been determined that I must respond. :sneaky:

Peacegirl said that animals can't reason. WTF! Go read more on that topic instead of being so obsessed regarding whether or not humans have free will. I have dogs. I know that dogs, ravens, elephants and many other animals can think and reason, at least to a certain extent. Hummingbirds can travel thousands of miles each year and make their way back to my feeders in the spring. Doesn't that take some special navigational skills and reasoning abilities? Maybe animals don't have free will, but they certainly have the ability to reason. And, since dogs are my favorite animals, and I think they are usually better than most humans, I'll simply post an article about dogs ability to reason. Then you can go back to your arguments regarding determinism. I'm doing this because y'all need a break and also because it makes me angry when humans think they are the only ones with reasoning abilities, when so many other animals, maybe most animals also have reasoning abilities. Humans aren't nearly as smart as we might think we are, regardless of free will. Maybe peace girl would benefit from learning more about the other animals instead of concentrating on a book she seems to think answers important questions. Excuse me for being off topic, but then again, this thread is all over the place, so it needed a little something extra.

https://simplyfordogs.com/do-dogs-think-feel-and-reason-understanding-canine-intelligence/

Canine cognition is diverse and complicated. It’s more than just problem-solving and learning; it includes communication, understanding social cues, interpreting emotions, and responding to situations. Intelligence varies across breed, individual temperament, and environmental factors.

Perception, spatial awareness, attention span, sensory perception, adaptability, creative thinking, intuition, and reasoning skills all affect intelligence. Dogs that can process information quickly and make accurate decisions are considered smart. Training can help them learn to tackle new problems, making them better at processing and adapting.

Dog owners underestimate their pets’ cognitive capabilities, thinking they can’t understand humans. But in 2011 a German Shepherd named Orion saved his owner’s life by leading firefighters to him, despite never being trained for it.

Canine Intelligence goes beyond what we know. Pet owners should nurture their dog’s abilities instead of focusing on basic training. Knowing your dog’s strengths will help them succeed! From genetics to training, factors influencing a dog’s intelligence are complex.

Can Dogs Develop Higher Forms of Thinking?​

Dogs possess cognitive capabilities similar to humans. Memory, attention, and reasoning are all present in dogs. But, can dogs think abstractly and solve problems? It’s a debate the scientific community is still split on.

Many believe dogs can use critical thinking skills to solve complex challenges, showing an advanced level of intelligence. Lastly, a study showed dogs can recognize human emotions. This suggests dogs have a higher emotional intelligence than we thought.

Researchers continue to explore the cognitive abilities of dogs. Areas like executive function, language manipulation, object permanence, and logic skills are all being researched.

The stray dog, Betsy, showed remarkable intelligence. She used her teeth to open a gate and lead her pack out of imprisonment multiple times until authorities moved them to a more secure location. This example demonstrates how higher-level thinking can be used by dogs to achieve their goals, even in difficult situations.

That’s not all. Dogs use these language boards to converse with people, and even ask questions. A recent scientific study ruled out them somehow responding to hidden cues. It appears they really do understand what they are “saying” via the labeled buttons they push.

OK, everyone. We would see the sun instantly if God turned it on at noon, but we would not see light from the sun for eight minurtes.

All clear? :D
That's a lot different Pood and you know it. Did you leave out light on purpose? I wouldn't be surprised.
Perhaps you could explain the difference, peacegirl.
Seeing light reach us where we can see it arriving after 81/2 minutes is not the same as seeing the Sun explode in real time. You would understand the difference if you tried to follow him even a little bit, but you have failed again. You were so excited because you thought you caught him in a contradiction (or worse, you thought I changed the text), but it backfired on you, so what do you have left that you didn’t already lie about?

Calling people liars is a violation of the rules. And yes, you did change the text.
You are a liar and if they want to ban me, that's fine. If you're not a liar, prove it Pood. To think that you can call me a liar by telling me I changed the text regarding light, is a big fat lie. You're not going to get away with this. A double standard if I ever saw one. :angry:
I didn’t call you a liar. I said you changed the text, which you clearly did Perhaps you did it inadvertently, mistranscribing it or something. Perhaps you don’t recall changing it. Regardless, the proof is there for all to see.
The same idea is presented two different, contradictory, and mutually exclusive ways. There is no difference between “seeing the sun,” and “seeing the light from the sun,”
It's a huge difference. It is what makes it noncontradictory. But, of course, you can't make sense of it because you are too set in your belief that he must have been wrong. If he turns out to be right, you will have to deal with the guilt of what you did to him to hurt his reputation in ff.

It is totally contradictory.
because we do not ever see light at all. We see the source of the light (the sun in this case) or objects that the light reflects of off. Since that is the case, the two passages are directly contradictory.
We do see light when it reaches us 81/2 minutes later.

We never see light, peacegirl.
We see it every day when nighttime turns to morning.

No. We see the sky, not the light.
Why did he distinguish between travel time and the Sun exploding? Because they are not the same. One we see instantly

No, we do not.
(if he is right about the eyes and the brain) because the Sun exploding meets the requirements of brightness and size while seeing each other does not meet the requirements of brightness and size because there's no light here (it's still traveling for 81/2 minutes) in which to see each other. What is it you still don't understand?

There is nothing to understand. These claims exceed crackpottery. They are like street-corner raving on a soapbox.

there’s no travel time when the eyes work the opposite way from what you believe.
To pick just one element from the fractal wrongness here; Why would there be no travel time if the eyes work "the opposite way"?

That's like saying it takes an hour to drive to Nerang, but if I was going the opposite way, it wouldn't take any time at all. But we observe that it actually takes an hour to drive here from Nerang.
No bilby, light traveling to the moon and back would be the same speed and distance each way. We are talking about how the eyes work ONLY. He demonstrated why he believed we see in real time. It makes absolute sense, but the problem is he is he is an unknown, someone who couldn't possibly have made a true discovery. Anybody who went against the grain of the thinking of Galileo's day, was ostracized, or worse. I hope you are not like the Catholic Church who told Galileo to stop discussing his ideas, or else. Throwing out his claims without a thorough study of his work is just as bad. This is what stops progress.

Galileo: His intellectual arguments, mathematical models and telescopic data failed to impress the Catholic authorities, and in February of 1616, Cardinal Robert Bellarmine took him aside and privately warned him to comply with the orders of the Church and stop writing or discussing his ideas—or else.
"But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
That's why it's very important to distinguish between Bozo the clown and Einstein.

Says the person who has stated she rejects the theory of relativity.
The problem is not that he's an unknown, an iconoclast, a maverick, a contrarian, or an outsider.
Oh but it does. He was all of these things, but he was never given a fair chance to demonstrate his findings. He was not the typical academic who came from a highly respected university which caused people to be uninterested in what he had to say. There was no way he could have brought his discovery to light in his lifetime. The same thing happened to Gregor Mendel and others. How can you even talk about him in this derogatory way when you don't understand anything about his observations or why he came to these conclusions. Do you understand why he believed the eyes are not a sense organ (explain it to me) or why it matters? Do you understand why man's will is not free, or are you just a run of the mill skeptic?
The problem is that he is wrong.
Says bilby who is now the arbiter of truth. :D
He never said he was the arbiter of truth. It is you who are saying that the author, with his daft ranting, is the arbiter of truth.
His idea can be, and has been, tested against reality, and found to be false.
No one tested this version of how the brain works in relation to sight, so you're wrong again.

There is no version to test. You have offered no explanatory model of how this nutty idea is supposed to work. We see, because something is “big enough, and bright enough, to be seen” is NOT an explanatory model.

Galileo was abused by the church for his heresies; But he wasn't disproven, and his ideas did become widely accepted - not because he was a heretic, but because he was not wrong.
The Catholics thought they were right based on what they believed to be true using their methods to determine this. It's the same thing here. Scientists have made up their minds that their evidence is airtight and that what we SEE must be delayed because light travels, but they never took into account that their proof may not be proof at all. Now anyone who disagrees with this "fact" ( :unsure: ) is considered to be a crank or a flat earther. This is no different than how the Catholic Church acted toward Galileo, even though the circumstances were different.
No, Galileo had an empirical demonstration that he was right. You’ve got nothing, just a daft, empty claim'
Says Pood who hasn't shown me where his claim in any of his books are contradictory and where he lies about me changing the text.
I have shown where they the contradictory, and the two texts posted side by side proves the relevant passage was changed.
that is contradicted by all empirical evidence. Your author is not Galileo or Einstein, he is Bozo.
Shut up Pood. If you say this again, I will not talk to you. You are a jerk.

Whatevahs.

Every now and then I browse this thread for entertainment, although I have no desire to engage in constant flame throwing regarding free will, I did find a line that I thought was very ignorant and while it's off topic, it's been determined that I must respond. :sneaky:

Peacegirl said that animals can't reason. WTF! Go read more on that topic instead of being so obsessed regarding whether or not humans have free will. I have dogs. I know that dogs, ravens, elephants and many other animals can think and reason, at least to a certain extent. Hummingbirds can travel thousands of miles each year and make their way back to my feeders in the spring. Doesn't that take some special navigational skills and reasoning abilities? Maybe animals don't have free will, but they certainly have the ability to reason. And, since dogs are my favorite animals, and I think they are usually better than most humans, I'll simply post an article about dogs ability to reason. Then you can go back to your arguments regarding determinism. I'm doing this because y'all need a break and also because it makes me angry when humans think they are the only ones with reasoning abilities, when so many other animals, maybe most animals also have reasoning abilities. Humans aren't nearly as smart as we might think we are, regardless of free will. Maybe peace girl would benefit from learning more about the other animals instead of concentrating on a book she seems to think answers important questions. Excuse me for being off topic, but then again, this thread is all over the place, so it needed a little something extra.

https://simplyfordogs.com/do-dogs-think-feel-and-reason-understanding-canine-intelligence/

Canine cognition is diverse and complicated. It’s more than just problem-solving and learning; it includes communication, understanding social cues, interpreting emotions, and responding to situations. Intelligence varies across breed, individual temperament, and environmental factors.

Perception, spatial awareness, attention span, sensory perception, adaptability, creative thinking, intuition, and reasoning skills all affect intelligence. Dogs that can process information quickly and make accurate decisions are considered smart. Training can help them learn to tackle new problems, making them better at processing and adapting.

Dog owners underestimate their pets’ cognitive capabilities, thinking they can’t understand humans. But in 2011 a German Shepherd named Orion saved his owner’s life by leading firefighters to him, despite never being trained for it.
Recently, a dog saved his owner's life by getting help when his owner fell and could not move. They called him another Lassie.

Canine Intelligence goes beyond what we know. Pet owners should nurture their dog’s abilities instead of focusing on basic training. Knowing your dog’s strengths will help them succeed! From genetics to training, factors influencing a dog’s intelligence are complex.
Dogs are amazing and they can be trained to do many new things.

Can Dogs Develop Higher Forms of Thinking?​

Dogs possess cognitive capabilities similar to humans. Memory, attention, and reasoning are all present in dogs. But, can dogs think abstractly and solve problems? It’s a debate the scientific community is still split on.
I believe they can solve problems to a certain degree. I've seen where a dog figured out how to pull up a chair up to a kitchen counter to get some chicken fingers. I saw a video of a raccoon figuring out how to get out of a dumpster using a tree branch. Certain birds have amazing cognitive ability as well.
Many believe dogs can use critical thinking skills to solve complex challenges, showing an advanced level of intelligence. Lastly, a study showed dogs can recognize human emotions. This suggests dogs have a higher emotional intelligence than we thought.
That may be true. I remember my friend's cat would run across the room to jump on her and start purring and kneading when she heard my friend crying. It was unusual behavior, but this cat felt her emotion and tried to help her. I witnessed it.
Researchers continue to explore the cognitive abilities of dogs. Areas like executive function, language manipulation, object permanence, and logic skills are all being researched.

The stray dog, Betsy, showed remarkable intelligence. She used her teeth to open a gate and lead her pack out of imprisonment multiple times until authorities moved them to a more secure location. This example demonstrates how higher-level thinking can be used by dogs to achieve their goals, even in difficult situations.
I am in agreement that dogs, as well as other animals, have the cognitive ability to solve certain problems which is goal oriented, but in spite of this, there is no indication that they can identify individual features without other cues.

I am in agreement that dogs, as well as other animals, have the cognitive ability to solve certain problems which is goal oriented, but in spite of this, there is no indication that they can identify individual features without other cues.
Dogs can recognize their human partners in photos and on videos.

there’s no travel time when the eyes work the opposite way from what you believe.
To pick just one element from the fractal wrongness here; Why would there be no travel time if the eyes work "the opposite way"?

That's like saying it takes an hour to drive to Nerang, but if I was going the opposite way, it wouldn't take any time at all. But we observe that it actually takes an hour to drive here from Nerang.
No bilby, light traveling to the moon and back would be the same speed and distance each way. We are talking about how the eyes work ONLY. He demonstrated why he believed we see in real time. It makes absolute sense, but the problem is he is he is an unknown, someone who couldn't possibly have made a true discovery. Anybody who went against the grain of the thinking of Galileo's day, was ostracized, or worse. I hope you are not like the Catholic Church who told Galileo to stop discussing his ideas, or else. Throwing out his claims without a thorough study of his work is just as bad. This is what stops progress.

Galileo: His intellectual arguments, mathematical models and telescopic data failed to impress the Catholic authorities, and in February of 1616, Cardinal Robert Bellarmine took him aside and privately warned him to comply with the orders of the Church and stop writing or discussing his ideas—or else.
"But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
That's why it's very important to distinguish between Bozo the clown and Einstein.

Says the person who has stated she rejects the theory of relativity.
The problem is not that he's an unknown, an iconoclast, a maverick, a contrarian, or an outsider.
Oh but it does. He was all of these things, but he was never given a fair chance to demonstrate his findings. He was not the typical academic who came from a highly respected university which caused people to be uninterested in what he had to say. There was no way he could have brought his discovery to light in his lifetime. The same thing happened to Gregor Mendel and others. How can you even talk about him in this derogatory way when you don't understand anything about his observations or why he came to these conclusions. Do you understand why he believed the eyes are not a sense organ (explain it to me) or why it matters? Do you understand why man's will is not free, or are you just a run of the mill skeptic?
The problem is that he is wrong.
Says bilby who is now the arbiter of truth. :D
He never said he was the arbiter of truth. It is you who are saying that the author, with his daft ranting, is the arbiter of truth.
His idea can be, and has been, tested against reality, and found to be false.
No one tested this version of how the brain works in relation to sight, so you're wrong again.

There is no version to test. You have offered no explanatory model of how this nutty idea is supposed to work. We see, because something is “big enough, and bright enough, to be seen” is NOT an explanatory model.

Galileo was abused by the church for his heresies; But he wasn't disproven, and his ideas did become widely accepted - not because he was a heretic, but because he was not wrong.
The Catholics thought they were right based on what they believed to be true using their methods to determine this. It's the same thing here. Scientists have made up their minds that their evidence is airtight and that what we SEE must be delayed because light travels, but they never took into account that their proof may not be proof at all. Now anyone who disagrees with this "fact" ( :unsure: ) is considered to be a crank or a flat earther. This is no different than how the Catholic Church acted toward Galileo, even though the circumstances were different.
No, Galileo had an empirical demonstration that he was right. You’ve got nothing, just a daft, empty claim'
Says Pood who hasn't shown me where his claim in any of his books are contradictory and where he lies about me changing the text.
I have shown where they the contradictory, and the two texts posted side by side proves the relevant passage was changed.
The passages were not changed and they are not contradictory. These are the 3 books, other than my version, that mentioned seeing the Sun instantly. I don't think he was as clear as he could have been in his 1970 version, but the remaining two books clarified what he meant. There is no disputing this Pood, so please stop harping on it and telling me that he didn't mean what he obviously did mean.

The Secret 1970:

“Focusing takes place for the first time when sense experience (hearing, taste, touch and smell — these are doorways in) awakens the brain, which then focuses the eyes so that the child can look through them, as binoculars, at what exists around him. The eyes are the windows of the brain through which experience is gained, not by what comes in on the waves of light that strike the optic nerve but by what is looked at in relation to sense experience. This is an efferent experience, the other an afferent experience. In other words, if we on earth were living in total darkness because God had not yet turned on the light of the sun, but we knew that he planned to flip the switch at 12 noon, it is true we would not be able to see it (he meant the light of the Sun, not the Sun itself) until 8 minutes later because there would not be any light until then since it is traveling towards us at a high rate of speed. But once the light is here, it is here because the photons of light, emitted by the constant energy of the sun, surround us. When the earth rotates on its axis so the section on which we live is in darkness, this only means the photons of light are on the other side. When our rotation allows the sun to smile on us again, this does not mean that it takes another 8 minutes for this light to reach us because these photons are surrounding us. And if the sun were to explode while we were looking at it, we would see it the instant it happened, not 8 minutes later. The reason we are able to see the moon, the sun, the distant stars, etc., is not because one is 3 seconds away, the other 8 minutes away, and the last many light years away, but simply because these objects are large enough to be seen at their great distance when enough light is present. To put this another way and paraphrase your quotation: ‘If we could sit upon the star Rigel with a very powerful telescope focused upon the earth, we would be able to see the very same things going on right now that everybody else sees. This fallacy has come into existence because the eyes were considered a sense organ like the ears. Because it takes longer for the sound from an airplane to reach our ears when it is five thousand feet away than a thousand, it was assumed that the same thing occurred with the object sending a picture of itself on the wings of light.”

Beyond the Framework of Modern Thought 1976:

In fact, if someone on Rigel had a telescope powerful enough to see me writing this very moment, he would see me at the exact time that you would, sitting right next to me, which brings us to another very interesting point.

If I couldn’t see you standing right next to me because we were living in total darkness since the sun had not yet been turned on, but God was scheduled to flip the switch at 12 noon, we would be able to see the sun instantly, at that very moment, although we would not be able to see each other for 8 minutes afterwards. The sun at 12 noon would look exactly like a large star, the only difference being that in 8 minutes we would have light with which to see each other, but the stars are so far away that their light diminishes before it gets to us. We don’t need light around us to see the stars, nor would we need light around us to see the sun turned on at 12 noon. To sum this up – just as we have often observed that a drum corps is marching out of step to the beat when seen from a distance, because the sound reaches our ears after a step has been taken, so likewise, if we could see someone talking on the moon via a telescope and hear his voice on radio, we would see his lips move instantly but not hear the corresponding sound for approximately 3 seconds later, simply because the sound of his voice is traveling 186,000 miles a second, but our gaze is not, nor is an electric image of his lips impinging on our optic nerve after traversing this distance. But let me prove in still another way that the eyes are not a sense organ.

This is an Urgent Message From a Visitor to Your Planet 1988:

Your scientists, taking for granted that five senses are an undeniable fact and becoming enthralled over the discovery that light travels at a high rate of speed, made the statement that still exists in your encyclopedias: “If we could sit on the star Rigel with a very powerful telescope focused on the Earth, we would just be able to see the ships of Columbus reaching America for the very first time.” They made the assumption that since the eyes are a sense organ, it is obvious that light must reflect an electric image of everything it touches, which then travels through space and impinges on the optic nerve. But why the telescope? Let me show you where certain facts have been confused, and all the reasoning except for light traveling at a high rate of speed is completely fallacious.

The sound from a plane, even though you can’t see it, will tell you it is in the sky, but why can’t you see it if an image is being reflected towards the eyes on the waves of light? An image is not being reflected. You can’t see the plane simply because the distance has reduced its size to the point where it is impossible to see it with the naked eye. You can’t see bacteria with the naked eye, but you can with a microscope. The reason you are able to see the moon is simply because there is enough light present and it is large enough to be seen. The reason the sun looks to be the size of the moon, although much larger, is simply because it is much farther away, as if you didn’t know this, which is the reason it would look like a star to someone living on a planet trillions of miles away. This proves conclusively that the distance between someone looking, and the object seen, has no relation to time because images are not traveling towards the optic nerve on waves of light. However, this is not the same as transmitted messages that travel through space and are picked up by your ears. This means that it takes no time to see the moon, the sun, and the distant stars. In fact, if someone on Rigel had a telescope powerful enough to see a golf tournament, he would see it at the exact same time that you would, which brings up another very interesting observation.

If you couldn’t see me standing right next to you because we were living in total darkness because the sun had not yet been turned on, but God was scheduled to flip the switch at noon, we would be able to see the sun instantly, at that very moment, although we would not be able to see each other for 8 minutes afterwards. The sun at noon would look exactly like a large star. To sum this up, just as you often observe that a drum corps is marching out of step to the beat when seen from a distance because the sound reaches your ears after a step has been taken, likewise, if you could see someone talking on the moon via a telescope and hear his voice on the radio, you would see his lips move instantly but not hear the corresponding sound for approximately 3 seconds later. But let me prove in yet another way that the eyes are not a sense organ.

Line up 50 people who will remain motionless, and a dog, from a slight distance, cannot identify his master. If an image is traveling on the waves of light and striking the optic nerve, then he would recognize his master instantly, as he can from sound and smell. In fact, if he were vicious and trained to attack any stranger entering the back gate at night, and if his two senses — hearing and smell — were turned off, he would have no way of identifying his master and would attack, even if every part of his master’s body and clothes were lit up like a Christmas tree. That is why a dog cannot identify his master from a picture or statue, which raises the question: why can man accomplish this? The answer will be given shortly.

Dogs can recognize their human partners in photos and on videos.
Show me where they recognize their human partners in photos or cardboard replicas, or anything else.

Sound matters more (but it isn’t perfect)​

Even if your dog doesn’t recognise your face on an iPad, they may recognise your voice. Studies show that dogs recognise individual voices, and are far more responsive to tone of voice than specific words. So if you call your dog on the phone, remember to use a calm, positive voice.

However, as with images on a smartphone or tablet, sound through these devices is compressed. Also, dogs’ brains don’t work the way ours do; sometimes, they can’t connect the face and voice on screen with the flesh and blood human they love. Even the best-hearing dogs get confused by a disembodied voice coming from a device.

Of course, on-screen and audio recognition vary from dog to dog. Some dog sitters swear their canine clients perk up when they hear their owner’s voice over the phone! It all depends on the technology and the specific dog.

Smell is stronger than sight​

If you’re going out of town, you can still set up a Skype date with your dog. Even if they don’t recognise you onscreen, you’ll get the satisfaction of seeing their cute, fuzzy face!

But offer your dog another option: leave your scent behind when you go out of town.

Dogs have amazing noses, with 44 times more olfactory receptors than humans. Appeal to their strongest sense, and remind them of you while you’re gone, by leaving behind a scented item from home. Bedding, a well-worn jumper, or even an old shoe gives your dog a sensory reminder of their person until you’re reunited.

The bottom line is, most dogs can’t recognise faces on phone screens or tablets. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t FaceTime or Skype with your pets while you’re out of town! It won’t harm them, and they may even recognise and be comforted by the sound of your voice. Plus, you get the benefit of seeing their adorable face while you’re away. It’s a win-win for you and your dog.

Sound matters more (but it isn’t perfect)

Even if your dog doesn’t recognise your face on an iPad, they may recognise your voice. Studies show that dogs recognise individual voices, and are far more responsive to tone of voice than specific words. So if you call your dog on the phone, remember to use a calm, positive voice.
However, as with images on a smartphone or tablet, sound through these devices is compressed. Also, dogs’ brains don’t work the way ours do; sometimes, they can’t connect the face and voice on screen with the flesh and blood human they love. Even the best-hearing dogs get confused by a disembodied voice coming from a device.
Of course, on-screen and audio recognition vary from dog to dog. Some dog sitters swear their canine clients perk up when they hear their owner’s voice over the phone! It all depends on the technology and the specific dog.​

Smell is stronger than sight

If you’re going out of town, you can still set up a Skype date with your dog. Even if they don’t recognise you onscreen, you’ll get the satisfaction of seeing their cute, fuzzy face!
But offer your dog another option: leave your scent behind when you go out of town.
Dogs have amazing noses, with 44 times more olfactory receptors than humans. Appeal to their strongest sense, and remind them of you while you’re gone, by leaving behind a scented item from home. Bedding, a well-worn jumper, or even an old shoe gives your dog a sensory reminder of their person until you’re reunited.
The bottom line is, most dogs can’t recognise faces on phone screens or tablets. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t FaceTime or Skype with your pets while you’re out of town! It won’t harm them, and they may even recognise and be comforted by the sound of your voice. Plus, you get the benefit of seeing their adorable face while you’re away. It’s a win-win for you and your dog.
___​

Last edited:
Neil deGrasse Tyson shows a dog using inference (process of elimination) to solve a problem, a problem-solving technique previously thought restricted to humans. In fact lots of animals can probably do this. We are not as special as we think we are.
This is way off track. It doesn't even close to what this conversation is about.
I was addressing Southernhybrid, not you She is the one who introduced dogs into the discussion, after your asinine claim that non-human animals lacked cognition and reason.

As to your latest copypasta, forget it. This stuff isn’t even worth talking about. It’s like giving to the time of day to someone who thinks the earth is flat and stands on the back of a gigantic turtle.

Neil deGrasse Tyson shows a dog using inference (process of elimination) to solve a problem, a problem-solving technique previously thought restricted to humans. In fact lots of animals can probably do this. We are not as special as we think we are.
This is way off track. It doesn't even close to what this conversation is about.
I was addressing Southernhybrid, not you She is the one who introduced dogs into the discussion, after your asinine claim that non-human animals lacked cognition and reason.
I don't care who you were talking to. This is my thread, and I can respond to whomever I want.
As to your latest copypasta, forget it.
You were the one that wanted to see the copy of his versions side by side. I did what you wanted and now you say forget it? I think you're gaslighting me.
This stuff isn’t even worth talking about. It’s like giving to the time of day to someone who thinks the earth is flat and stands on the back of a gigantic turtle.
This book has never been for you. You resent this author because he defies what you believe is holy grail, untouchable. As Richard Milton wrote with great insight:

“We are living in a time of rising academic intolerance in which important new discoveries in physics, medicine, and biology are being ridiculed and rejected for reasons that are not scientific. Something precious and irreplaceable is under attack. Our academic liberty — our freedom of thought — is being threatened by an establishment that chooses to turn aside new knowledge unless it comes from their own scientific circles. Some academics appoint themselves vigilantes to guard the gates of science against troublemakers with new ideas.

<snip>

It seems that there are some individuals, including very distinguished scientists, who are willing to risk the censure and ridicule of their colleagues by stepping over that mark. This book is about those scientists. But, more importantly, it is about the curious social and intellectual forces that seek to prohibit such research; those areas of scientific research that are taboo subjects; about subjects whose discussion is forbidden under pain of ridicule and ostracism. Often those who cry taboo do so from the best of motives: a desire to ensure that our hard-won scientific enlightenment is not corrupted by the credulous acceptance of crank ideas and that the community does not slide back into what Sir Karl Popper graphically called the ‘tyranny of opinion.’ Yet in setting out to guard the frontiers of knowledge, some scientific purists are adopting a brand of skepticism that is indistinguishable from the tyranny they seek to resist. These modern skeptics are sometimes the most unreflecting of individuals yet their devotion to the cause of science impels them to appoint themselves guardians of spirit of truth. And this raises the important question of just how we can tell a real crank from a real innovator — a Faraday from a false prophet. Merely to dismiss a carefully prepared body of evidence — however barmy it may appear — is to make the same mistake as the crank.

I really have no idea why you're wasting your time here. Your modal logic can easily take you to another logical world where you can do otherwise; where your choice to stay is contingent, not necessary. So, prove it. This would be a great empirical test. Never come back and we will know that you were under no compulsion to stay. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I don't care who you were talking to. This is my thread, and I can respond to whomever I want.

Wha? First, you don’t “own” the thread, and second, I can, and did, respond to whomever I want as well. Did I say you couldn’t?
You were the one that wanted to see the copy of his versions side by side. I did what you wanted and now you say forget it? I think you're gaslighting me.

Yes, and they directly contradict each other.
This stuff isn’t even worth talking about. It’s like giving to the time of day to someone who thinks the earth is flat and stands on the back of a gigantic turtle.
This book has never been for you.

It has never been for anyone, has it? In 25 years of doing the message-board rounds, have you ever found a single supporter of the author’s claims?
You resent this author because he defies what you believe is holy grail, untouchable. As Richard Milton wrote with great insight:

Ad hominem, will be reported. So will the insult of calling me a liar.
I really have no idea why you're wasting your time here.

At first it was to help you formulate, for the first time in your life, a clear argument with premises and a conclusion for your two-sided equation. But you don’t want help and are uneducable in any case.
Your modal logic can easily take you to another logical world where you can do otherwise; where your choice to stay is contingent, not necessary. So, prove it. This would be a great empirical test. Never come back and we will know that you were under no compulsion to stay. :ROFLMAO:

You don’t know shit about modal logic or any kind of logic, or about anything else for that matter.

Wha? First, you don’t “own” the thread, and second, I can, and did, respond to whomever I want as well. Did I say you couldn’t?
You implied.

Yes, and they directly contradict each other.
No they don't. He just wasn't as clear in his first attempt in 1970 as in 1976 and then 1988. He was very clear what he meant but for some reason, you can't stand that science may have gotten it wrong.
This book has never been for you.

It has never been for anyone, has it? In 25 years of doing the message-board rounds, have you ever found a single supporter of the author’s claims?
I've only been to online forums because I was unable to contact those who could be instrumental in helping me. FF was the worst. How mistaken can anyone be to use this as some kind of proof the author has nothing valuable to offer. You're grasping at anything you can to discredit him, but it's not working.
This has no bearing on anything. I've only been with
You resent this author because he defies what you believe is holy grail, untouchable. As Richard Milton wrote with great insight:

Ad hominem, will be reported. So will the insult of calling me a liar.
You have called me a liar indirectly so many times, you just want to shut me up because your ideas are being challenged. You are not beyond reproach.
I really have no idea why you're wasting your time here.

At first it was to help you formulate, for the first time in your life, a clear argument with premises and a conclusion for your two-sided equation. But you don’t want help and are uneducable in any case.
This is why I don't believe you were sincere in your effort. You had an agenda which was to educate me. You did not give a decent summary of the two-sided equation and, more importantly, your belief in free will cancels out any understanding on your part. The only reason this new world can actually take place is because we don't have free will of any kind. If we did, we could hurt people regardless of the conditions that prevail, but that's just not true. IOW, if we had free will, we could choose A (to hurt someone) or B (not to hurt someone) equally. It wouldn't matter if we were justified or not. Nothing would have an impact on our decision to cause harm. Can't you see that this would be impossible because hurting someone under these changed conditions would give us LESS SATISFACTION, which cannot be done when not to strike this blow is the preferable choice? This is a necessary tautological truth and offers absolute proof that free will is a figment of the imagination.

Your modal logic can easily take you to another logical world where you can do otherwise; where your choice to stay is contingent, not necessary. So, prove it. This would be a great empirical test. Never come back and we will know that you were under no compulsion to stay. :ROFLMAO:

You don’t know shit about modal logic or any kind of logic, or about anything else for that matter.
That's just your frustration talking. Logical worlds don't prove you could do anything different than what you have already done, are already doing, or will do in the future. So I gather you're not leaving. This proves you are under a compulsion to stay because not to stay would give you no satisfaction, therefore you have no choice in the matter. Maybe tomorrow you'll be so frustrated that you will choose to leave for real. Each moment offers a new set of options but always in the direction of greater satisfaction.

Last edited:
Never come back and we will know that you were under no compulsion to stay. :ROFLMAO:
Which is the whole problem with your claim: it is empty. If I never come back, you’ll say I was under a compulsion never to come back. Whatever anyone chooses you simply define it as “compulsion,” rendering your whole silly argument explanatorily empty.
But that is what it is. We cannot choose otherwise given meaningful differences to ponder. That is the necessity in the phrase "necessary tautological truth." You cannot escape it Pood. You are doing what you are compelled to do because not to do it would be less satisfying or preferable. And btw, dogs, cats, fish, snakes, ants, and all other creatures have not an ounce of free will. They just follow their instincts from moment to moment without ANY ability to do otherwise.

TAUTOLOGIES MUST NOT BE DISMISSED

Tautologies are not circular. They are simply true in all circumstances. Or you might say “they are not false in any circumstance.” Being necessarily true is a poor reason to dismiss an idea as trivial or redundant.

Overall, it’s a grave error to overlook the usefulness and profundity of tautologies. Not only should we examine them, we should embrace them and incorporate them into the foundations of our ideas.

Discovering tautologies is exciting, and it’s literally synonymous with discovering truth. Not to mention: any sound deductions that follow from tautologies are also necessarily true. If we construct theories that are founded on necessarily-true premises, we can built a robust worldview that is justified all the way to its foundations.

Last edited:
Seeing light reach us where we can see it arriving after 81/2 minutes is not the same as seeing the Sun explode in real time. You would understand the difference if you tried to follow him even a little bit, but you have failed again. You were so excited because you thought you caught him in a contradiction (or worse, you thought I changed the text), but it backfired on you, so what do you have left that you didn’t already lie about?
This isn't an answer to the quesion; It's a set of excuses for not giving an answer. The bolded part is also an Ad Hominem.

If you had an answer, it would likely have been quicker and easier to post it than to post this contentless whine about not being trusted and believed without evidence.

This is a skeptic's forum. Nobody can justify expecting to be trusted and believed without evidence around here.

Back
Top Bottom