• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

RIP Frank Drake

Hundreds of millions of dollars squandered and nobody in that realm has a problem with throwing good money after bad, after all, THIS is what they call *science* and it is super hallowed.
Which specific money are you referring to?
I have to explain it to you? Frank Drake? SETI?
Hello.
Hundreds of millions of dollars squandered and nobody in that realm has a problem with throwing good money after bad, after all, THIS is what they call *science* and it is super hallowed.
Hello.

Even if it were hundreds of millions of dollars that Frank spent on SETI there are many ways in which private entities have wasted money over the years.

Hello.
Hello.

Even if it were hundreds of millions of dollars that Frank spent on SETI there are many ways in which private entities have wasted money over the years.

So wasting money is quite all right with you as long as they are wasting it in ways you approve of. Oh the poor, the hungry. Oh the humanity for your Faux *Science*.
(More tax dollars for education, *art*, and illegals crossing our border!)

Hello.
Hello.

So wasting money is quite all right with you as long as they are wasting it in ways you approve of. Oh the poor, the hungry. Oh the humanity for your Faux *Science*.
I didn’t say that. It’s not my place to tell other people how to spend their money. Far more money is spent on cosmetics that I think make people look bad, on music I think is garbage, on hobbies I think are stupid.

And SETI isn’t using tax money to look for extraterrestrial life.

You seem to enjoy putting words in my mouth. And you are calling us rude?

Hello.
Ah, I see. You object to people choosing how to spend their money, if it's not directed to your narrow definition of the public good.

You should have identified yourself as a communist from the start and saved everyone some confusion.

The fact is, figuring out what to put on a probe so that folks know how to find and maybe even start talking to us is a problem that doesn't just present solutions and models of thinking for that context.

Learning ways to give the future a fundamental insight into our culture and language and existence is important for the future and for learning more complete models of education and teaching, for encoding knowledge in ways that cannot be erased by time.

This is an aspect of human culture and I can't state enough how important it is to learn how to do it "effectively enough to teach an alien".

Whales, gorillas, chimpanzees, orangutans and porpoises are species unfamiliar with physics, math and chemistry. What leads you to believe that IF something is out there, it can even see? Why would you make such a presumption? Why would it be more advanced than we are, and even if it is and can see and understand, you made no mention of turnaround time much less its unfamiliarity with us, our DNA and are particular habits, diseases and problems.
The Pioneer probes are in space. They wouldn't survive atmospheric entry, thus anything that sees that plaque must be capable of seeing them in the environment they exist in--outer space. Thus only species capable of space travel will even be trying to figure out that plaque, if they can find it they should be able to decode it.

And the cost of those plaques is quite small. You're looking at the cost of the mission--but the plaques only weigh a pound. The purpose of the mission was looking at the planets.
To be fair, yeeting a pound of shit that hard costs a lot of money.
True, but he said "hundreds of millions". I would be very surprised if it cost even one million to yeet a pound out of the solar system.

Whales, gorillas, chimpanzees, orangutans and porpoises are species unfamiliar with physics, math and chemistry. What leads you to believe that IF something is out there, it can even see? Why would you make such a presumption? Why would it be more advanced than we are, and even if it is and can see and understand, you made no mention of turnaround time much less its unfamiliarity with us, our DNA and are particular habits, diseases and problems.
The Pioneer probes are in space. They wouldn't survive atmospheric entry, thus anything that sees that plaque must be capable of seeing them in the environment they exist in--outer space. Thus only species capable of space travel will even be trying to figure out that plaque, if they can find it they should be able to decode it.

And the cost of those plaques is quite small. You're looking at the cost of the mission--but the plaques only weigh a pound. The purpose of the mission was looking at the planets.
To be fair, yeeting a pound of shit that hard costs a lot of money.
True, but he said "hundreds of millions". I would be very surprised if it cost even one million to yeet a pound out of the solar system.
He hasn’t specified what the hundreds of millions are. Only a hand waving “frank drake. SETI”. Without citations we may consider it to be a made up number.

Deniers of reality, such as the fraud that is SETI, are usually too lazy to do their own work.
They demand the work be done by others which reality deniers proceed to nitpick and play semantic games with.

"The Alan Telescope that is now a primary reception device for SETI cost roughly $50 million to construct and an estimated $2.5 million annually to run. The SETI Institute itself costs about $2 million per year to operate their research and around $20 million a year in worldwide SETI activities."

Hello.
Hello.

I didn’t say that. It’s not my place to tell other people how to spend their money. Far more money is spent on cosmetics that I think make people look bad, on music I think is garbage, on hobbies I think are stupid.

"Tax money" is YOUR PHRASE, not mine.
You deceive yourself and then put your words in my mouth time and again and think yourself superior.

Hello.
Hello.

You deceive yourself and then put your words in my mouth time and again and think yourself superior.
The issue here is that you are either 1: attempting to tell private interests how to spend their money; or 2: telling us (very ignorantly) what we ought spend our money on as a group despite the fact that this is a group decision and we decided on "yeet that plaque".

Hello.
Hello.

Actually, you said quoted above “more tax dollars…” so I thought you were bringing up
The SETI spending in the context of taxes. I apologize if I was incorrect. But as I said far more money is spent on other more frivolous things than SETI. Do you complain about those? James Cameron himself probably outstrips SETI.

Hello.
Hello.

Actually, you said quoted above “more tax dollars…” so I thought you were bringing up
The SETI spending in the context of taxes. I apologize if I was incorrect. But as I said far more money is spent on other more frivolous things than SETI. Do you complain about those? James Cameron himself probably outstrips SETI.
I think we spent more tax dollars on Brett Favre's fraud, and WAY more tax dollars on G-Dubb's fraudulent revenge war than we ever spent on yeeting plaques or looking for signals.

Hello.
Hello.

Your dedication to communism is noted, but I am afraid it's badly misplaced.

In decades long since past, atheists giggled that "the universe is so huge, with billions of stars that no intelligent creator would have bothered to waste all that matter and energy just for us."

Fast forward to today and the Anthropic Principle, a statistical study of physical constants fine-tuned to an impossible degree.

What is the atheist response? Why there are an INFINITE NUMBER of universes and WE just HAPPEN to be in the *right* one, wink, nudge, giggle.

That and the Quantum Vacuum made everything. This is *science* atheist style.
No basis, no common sense, just semantics and snarks.

Fast forward to today and the Anthropic Principle, a statistical study of physical constants fine-tuned to an impossible degree.

What is the atheist response? Why there are an INFINITE NUMBER of universes and WE just HAPPEN to be in the *right* one, wink, nudge, giggle.
Who you calling "the", Kemosabe? There are a lot of atheists and a lot of responses.

The most straightforward response is that there's no evidence of "physical constants fine-tuned". The claims that constants are fine-tuned are illogical -- they're of a piece with "We've proven bumblebees can't fly". They're derived from some calculation to the effect that if for example the fine structure constant were a little different but the rest of physics were as we understand it, then the resulting system would be inconsistent with life. But the same sort of calculation shows that if all the constants are exactly as they are measured to be and physics is as we understand it, then the resulting system is inconsistent with life. It's inconsistent with rocks. It's inconsistent with everything. Physics as we understand it is inconsistent, period. We have two well-confirmed theories that together explain all observations -- General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics -- and the two of them are inconsistent with each other. They cannot both be correct. So we already know our theory of physics is wrong. To conclude the universe is fine-tuned because a wrong theory wouldn't support life if it were a little bit wronger is insane. To justifiably make that sort of inference you first need a theory that's correct.

So get back to us when you have your Nobel Prize for solving the problem of Quantum Gravity, and let us know whether that theory also contains physical constants that look fine-tuned.

How did it get from possible ETs to cretioism?

I am atheist and I ascibe generally to naturalism. By definition things that exist are natural however they apear to us. There can be no supernatural.

Reality does not need to be explained as to why it is what it is, it just is. No need for a creator.

To me the questionon of why there are constants and ratios is a meaningless question.

When we quantify a model of reality uisng our brains, math, and human science we find relationsips in physcal relity. There is nothing more to it than that.

Momentum of a moving object.

In decades long since past, atheists giggled that "the universe is so huge, with billions of stars that no intelligent creator would have bothered to waste all that matter and energy just for us."

Roughly 75% of Nobel Laureates believe in Nature's God. So much for the atheist snark of Christianity and science being mutually exclusive.

http://ProofThereIsNoGod.blogspot.com

Roughly 75% of Nobel Laureates believe in Nature's God. So much for the atheist snark of Christianity and science being mutually exclusive.

More illogic.

Being a scientist and believing in god is not proof of god. One of the old theist arguments, a lot of people believe it theretofore it is true.

I worked with creationists who were very good engineers. They compartmentalized science and beliefs.

Newton was a theist and even invoked god for something he could not explain, the god of the gaps.

Now he's replying to his own posts, even though he apparently doesn't have the time to respond to posts by other people.

The level of stupid with this one's posts is special. Enjoy the entertainment as it is likely to be fleeting.

Back
Top Bottom