• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Roe v Wade is on deck

Foot, meet bullet:

Anti-ACA provisions are being used to try to block abortion bans. Health care choice is health care choice.

I'm starting to think that women who are forced to give birth to a non-viable baby should preserve it in a jar, and take it to every political hearing on the subject. "This is the 'life' that you 'saved' with your abortion ban" Force people to face what it is they are doing to women.

That's the same state where even convicted double murderer Alex Murdaugh didn't get the death penalty.

But the repubs are backing off of it.

Wow... 9 feckless cowards who supported it, but now that it isn't happening because it is awful, are running from it.

I'm starting to think that women who are forced to give birth to a non-viable baby should preserve it in a jar, and take it to every political hearing on the subject. "This is the 'life' that you 'saved' with your abortion ban" Force people to face what it is they are doing to women.
Oh, but there are laws against that!

(Also a lot of deep grief. Most of the time, those non-viable fetuses were very much wanted and longed for. The parents go through a lot emotionally; the mother goes through a lot physically.)

Sometimes I DO wish that there were a way to induce men into feeling what it feels like to be pregnant (wanted or not), to be pregnant and lose a child; to be pregnant and give birth. Also to have menstrual cramps. Or to menstruate. To be worried about breast cancer. To be worried about being sexually assaulted or raped. To be sexually assaulted and/or raped. To not be able to walk down the street without attracting unwanted attention, no matter how long your skirt or how lose your jeans.

(Also a lot of deep grief. Most of the time, those non-viable fetuses were very much wanted and longed for. The parents go through a lot emotionally; the mother goes through a lot physically.)

Sometimes I DO wish that there were a way to induce men into feeling what it feels like to be pregnant (wanted or not), to be pregnant and lose a child; to be pregnant and give birth. Also to have menstrual cramps. Or to menstruate. To be worried about breast cancer. To be worried about being sexually assaulted or raped. To be sexually assaulted and/or raped. To not be able to walk down the street without attracting unwanted attention, no matter how long your skirt or how lose your jeans.
I don't know, I went through four years of Trump, that's got to count for something for suffering!

If it makes you feel better, I don't think it is personal. They just want people not to have sex. They, themselves, get off on that. And if people have sex, they sinned and must be punished. Technically it is the woman doing most of the suffering, but they want the men to be responsible so that counts for something. Though, probably should take the indifference and ignorance personally.

I don't know, I went through four years of Trump, that's got to count for something for suffering!

If it makes you feel better, I don't think it is personal. They just want people not to have sex. They, themselves, get off on that. And if people have sex, they sinned and must be punished. Technically it is the woman doing most of the suffering, but they want the men to be responsible so that counts for something. Though, probably should take the indifference and ignorance personally.
No offense but whatever you endured through the Trump administration does not compare with what women endured during the Trump administration and the fallout we are still experiencing.

I don't agree that they don't want people to have sex. They DO want people to have sex that they approve of: with them, or for their profit or pleasure or in service to their causes which mostly centers on their profit and their pleasure and the profit and the pleasure are very much intertwined. People must keep producing workers and soldiers!

What they don't want is for people who are not them to have choices.

They get off on power, control, and their own sense of superiority and entitlement. Giving people choices might interfere with all of that.

A federal judge has suspended the FDA approval of mifepristone, an ingredient in the 'abortion pill', after 23 years of successful and safe use in the US.

A federal judge has suspended the FDA approval of mifepristone, an ingredient in the 'abortion pill', after 23 years of successful and safe use in the US.
And a federal judge in Washington State has ordered the FDA not to suspend its approval
Had not read that.

Let the shitshow begin. Republicans must be really sure they can seize power without any consent from the electorate.
Keep this kind of crap front and center for another year and it could be a dire day for the Grand Old Party in fall of '24.
Hopefully the SCOTUS upholds the ban, so as to remove all doubt and force a reconfig/expansion upon the court.

Texas judge halts FDA approval of abortion pill - POLITICO - "The Biden administration has filed an appeal."
A Texas federal judge ruled Friday evening to suspend the FDA’s approval of mifepristone — one of two drugs used together to cause an abortion — virtually banning the sale of the pills across the country. The decision, however, will not take effect for a week, giving higher courts time to consider the appeal the Biden administration filed Friday night and delaying for now the impact on hundreds of thousands of patients who use the medication both for abortions and treating miscarriages.

U.S. District Court Judge Matthew Kacsmaryk in Amarillo, Texas, an appointee of former President Donald Trump, sided with anti-abortion medical groups that challenged the federal regulation of the drug, ruling that both the initial approval of the pills in 2000 as well as more recent FDA decisions allowing them to be prescribed via telemedicine, sent by mail and dispensed at retail pharmacies, are unlawful.
gov.uscourts.waed.102225.80.0.pdf
Meanwhile, a Washington State federal judge issued a conflicting order Friday night that blocks the FDA from rolling back access to the pills in the dozen blue states that brought the lawsuit.

The ruling from U.S. District Court Judge Thomas O. Rice, an appointee of former President Barack Obama, clashes with Kacsmaryk’s in that it orders the FDA to maintain the status quo, raising the likelihood that the issue could go before the Supreme Court.
About that Texas judge,
... he also wrote that “the FDA stonewalled judicial review” and “ignored” petitions from anti-abortion organizations to revisit the pill’s approval.

The judge’s decision includes language commonly used by anti-abortion advocates, describing the intent of the pill as one “to kill the unborn human,” referring to abortion providers as “abortionists,” and describing the “intense psychological trauma” of people who use the pills and then see “the remains of their aborted children.”

About that Texas judge,
... he also wrote that “the FDA stonewalled judicial review” and “ignored” petitions from anti-abortion organizations to revisit the pill’s approval.

The judge’s decision includes language commonly used by anti-abortion advocates, describing the intent of the pill as one “to kill the unborn human,” referring to abortion providers as “abortionists,” and describing the “intense psychological trauma” of people who use the pills and then see “the remains of their aborted children.”

That judge is a real wackjob, he belongs in a loony bin and nowhere near a judge's seat.

This matter will end up in front of the Supreme Court wackos where it's up to whatever Harlan Crow and Leonard Leo want.

And he laid down another crap alt-right ruling. Which contains a proclamation that embryos have rights, which is laying the groundwork for the banning of abortion nationally.

And thanks to the alt-right judges appointed by the GOP, a court decision no longer needs to be coherent or judicial.

The problem with this is that there are laws which control the disposal of human remains.

Believe me, in the event of my own death I would absolutely want my skull removed from my body, cleaned, preserved, and carved to look cool, and traded between people as a really cool carved human skull, but alas, it's impossible, or at least really difficult and legally fraught.

There are ways to create such an artifact and legally own it, but it is almost impossible to acquire such a thing from an arbitrary corpse, and the chains of custody for human remains which allow acquisition of such things end up being rather "grain elevator": even if you could remit a corpse for that purpose, you couldn't then re-acquire those precise remains from the system, I don't think.

Over the past 25 years, Congress and the FDA have determined the safest and most beneficial way to regulate the use of mifepristone (Mifeprex), the medication that accounts for the majority of abortions in the United States. The Dobbs decision has renewed the importance of those scientific determinations, especially FDA's decisions implementing the Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy (REMS) provisions of the Federal Food Drug and Cosmetic Act (FDCA), that mifepristone may be taken by patients outside the presence of any healthcare provider (often through telemedicine prescription and shipment across state lines). Now that Dobbs has been decided, state officials have indicated that they will seek to enforce state statutes which conflict with FDA's regimen for the proper use of mifepristone, by banning its use entirely, prohibiting telemedicine prescription, or imposing other requirements which FDA has specifically considered and now rejected as contrary to the congressional mandate that FDA-approved drugs be as accessible as safety considerations allow. Litigation has already been filed to invalidate such statutes on the grounds that they are preempted by the doctrine that state law which conflicts with, or undermines the purposes of, FDA actions with respect to approved drugs are preempted under the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution. This article examines the Supreme Court caselaw and FDA actions which will dictate the outcome of that litigation. Part I details the statutory basis for FDA preemption of conflicting state law and the four decisions by the Supreme Court over the last 13 years (Levine, Mensing, Bartlett and Albrecht) which enunciate the governing legal standards for FDA preemption. We pay particular attention to the opinions of Justice Alito and the other conservative justices, which hold that such FDA preemption should be robust to ensure that there is one consistent, national policy for the distribution and regulation of drugs, under the science-based decisions of the FDA, rather than the 'parochialism' of differing state standards. Part II details FDA's comprehensive program for the balanced, though appropriately restricted, use of mifepristone, and the 22 years of FDA actions that brought that about. It then catalogs the state statutes limiting the use of the drug which, in material ways, conflict with those FDA determinations. Part III outlines the arguments made in one early lawsuit seeking preemption of the statutes of one state (Mississippi)–a law suit which previews the wider litigation to come. It then sets forth the strong arguments for FDA preemption of each type of state restriction and responses to the 'defenses' of those statutes that have been offered in an effort to avoid FDA preemption under the Supremacy Clause. That review shows that a straight-forward application of the FDCA and the Supreme Court caselaw should result in the preemption of the state restrictions that squarely conflict with the relatively free access to abortion medications which FDA has mandated.

Back
Top Bottom