• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Russian Invasion of Ukraine - tactics and logistics

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
There’s another thread for “what should US response be, but this has obviously become much bigger, soo I’m creating a new place to ask queestions and discuss the military tactics, logstics and etc.

And I’ll start:

that 40 mile-long convoy of Russians headed for Kyiv - what have they not been bombed to smithereens by now? What logistics prevent it?

I kind of expected the molotov army, at least, to make a move. If not the anti-tank weapons. Are they still on the way and the Ulkrainian army has none?

But perhaps it is too far. Perhaps there is not enough cover?

Anyway, wondering why a 40-mile long, slow-moving thing hasn’t been pestered by guerillas.

I'm very impressed that the Ukrainians are tracking Russian Troop movements by using their Grindr posts. Esp. considering that Putin keeps saying there are no gays in Russia.

And though women-gaslighting-invaders-to-get-intel is far older than gas lights, the fact that they're using Tinder to do it now? That's pretty nifty.

There’s another thread for “what should US response be, but this has obviously become much bigger, soo I’m creating a new place to ask queestions and discuss the military tactics, logstics and etc.

And I’ll start:

that 40 mile-long convoy of Russians headed for Kyiv - what have they not been bombed to smithereens by now? What logistics prevent it?

I kind of expected the molotov army, at least, to make a move. If not the anti-tank weapons. Are they still on the way and the Ulkrainian army has none?

Anyway, wondering why a 40-mile long, slow-moving thing hasn’t been pestered by guerillas.
I'm sure that they are being harassed continuously. I'd bet that 25% will be taking out. I'm sure hoping for at least that amount. But I'm probably being optimistic. I'm hearing that women and children are lying in roads trying to impede them. But the issue is that there are just so many Russians who are willing to die for the Putin death cult. And the Ukrainians don't have control of their airspace. They are fighting. But it's David vs Goliath.

Probably because Russia has air supremacy. The first wave of attacks was likely designed to destroy Ukrainian air assets and air defense. That’s why they withheld the bulk of their troops. Now they’re moving them in since they can easily protect them.

It’s easy to see the narrative that Ukraine is putting up stiff resistance, but who knows what’s going on for sure. If they could pound this column, they would. That they haven’t bodes very badly for Kiev. Nevertheless, once they are trapped in an urban environment, air power becomes significantly less effective.

It remains to be seen whether Russia proceeds much west of the Dnieper. CSIS‘s assessment is that they don’t have the troop strength to do it. They will stick to the eastern part to create a pro Russian state, where Russian support is stronger. We will see.

My guess is that if you asked the Ukrainians "do you know there's a 40 mile convoy heading towards Kyiv?" They'd say "yep."

My guess is that if you asked the Ukrainians "do you know there's a 40 mile convoy heading towards Kyiv?" They'd say "yep."
I know!

So I’m figuring (seriously now) that something iis preventive Ukranians from harming it, and I’m curious what it is. The convoy seems so exposed. I suppose guess # 1 is that the anti tank stuff hasn’t arrived or there is no cover to deploy along the road without getting fired on.

But dayum, those satellite photos sure make me wish for a drone or 12.

That column work have a lot of radar covering to try to prevent Ukrainian aircraft from hitting it. The fact that it has not been hit suggests the Ukrainian air force is too weak and /or waiting until it gets closer.

My guess convoy has not reached the place where nazis are waiting for them.

But dayum, those satellite photos sure make me wish for a drone or 12
Ukraine has 12 turkish drones which turned out to be highly effective in Azerbaijan illegal invasion of Karabakh which West half-heartedly supported becasue it was by one definitely non-democracy supported by NATO member Turkey against poor democracy but which was kinda between the West and Russia. So it was hard to decide what to do for you guys.

Problem with these drones they are easy to jam, and even easier to shoot down.
No satellite link, just ordinary radio link. Not useful against more sophisticated army.

Very early report said russian forces shot down at least one of these drones. But there is indirect evidence that it was successfully deployed in one case.

The only chance ukrainian nazi have is your javelin thingy.
reality of the situation is that there is still very little actual war outside Eastern Ukraine.

I kind of expected the molotov army, at least, to make a move
I think all these brave women with molotovs were doing it for a camera shot.
Motivation to repeal these hordes of evil Russians is being greatly exaggerated.

My guess convoy has not reached the place where nazis are waiting for them.
I hope they have snacks and a cushion because they're in for a fucking long wait.
Motivation to repeal these hordes of evil Russians is being greatly exaggerated.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

*deep breath*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Thank you. I needed that.

The photos, which were taken Monday and provided to Global News by American space technology company Maxar, suggest the convoy is nearly 65 kilometres (40 miles) long, stretching from near Antonov airport in Hostomel in the south to the northern-end of the convoy near the village of Prybirsk.

Ukrainian forces concentrated within Kyiv where they are needed most and the proper arms, Stingers and Javelins not in the right hands yet perhaps. Little logistic support for Ukrainian fighters in rural areas. Likely a number of factors. My concern is Kyiv getting starved out.

From the photos in the Global News article below, there looks to be plenty of wooded cover in which to fire from. Hopefully some of those trees start to move soon. My wishful thinking is there are Ukrainian forces to circle around behind the Russian convoy as it approaches Kyiv. If they could get them bunched up where movement is somewhat restricted, that would be great.

Global News

ExxonMobil has yet to sever ties with Russia. Shell has, of course. So if you need gas, do boycott ExxonMobil. Do your small part.

One news report I vaguely remember mentioned echelons sweeping the countryside on either side of the column and basically driving off every civilian they find.

That suggests that the Russians are protecting their flanks at least a little bit, maybe enough to make it hard to get close enough to the convoy to start shooting missiles at it.

The photos, which were taken Monday and provided to Global News by American space technology company Maxar, suggest the convoy is nearly 65 kilometres (40 miles) long, stretching from near Antonov airport in Hostomel in the south to the northern-end of the convoy near the village of Prybirsk.

Ukrainian forces concentrated within Kyiv where they are needed most and the proper arms, Stingers and Javelins not in the right hands yet perhaps. Little logistic support for Ukrainian fighters in rural areas. Likely a number of factors. My concern is Kyiv getting starved out.

From the photos in the Global News article below, there looks to be plenty of wooded cover in which to fire from. Hopefully some of those trees start to move soon. My wishful thinking is there are Ukrainian forces to circle around behind the Russian convoy as it approaches Kyiv. If they could get them bunched up where movement is somewhat restricted, that would be great.

Global News

ExxonMobil has yet to sever ties with Russia. Shell has, of course. So if you need gas, do boycott ExxonMobil. Do your small part.
Yep. We should boycott any company that doesn't stop doing business with Russia. If 65 year old Ukranian grandmas have the courage to take up arms; we should have the decency to boycott any and all Russian related products. I'll bet that Exon gets on board within a day. Boycott Exxon until they do.

I agree, Russia should immediately start boycott of Russian oil-gas in Europe and in Ukraine for that matter. That 65 year old grandma is too cozy in my opinion.

I agree, Russia should immediately start boycott of Russian oil-gas in Europe.
Well, the Nazis in Russia started this war. The brave Ukranians are doing the fighting. The least the west can do is try to bankrupt Russia as much as we can.

I agree, Russia should immediately start boycott of Russian oil-gas in Europe.
Well, the Nazis in Russia started this war. The brave Ukranians are doing the fighting. The least the west can do is try to bankrupt Russia as much as we can.
No, war was started by Nuland. Russian nazis, according to wikipedia are all retired and drinking tea on their dachas.

Back
Top Bottom