• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Russian Invasion of Ukraine - tactics and logistics

Denmark’s armed forces released a video showing bubbles rushing to the surface of the Baltic Sea above the Nord Stream 1 and 2 pipelines, and said the largest gas leak had caused surface disturbance of well over 1km in diameter.

They posted a video on Twitter:

Ukrainian presidential adviser, Mykhailo Podolyak, has described the major leaks in two Russian gas pipelines under the Baltic Sea as a “terrorist attack”.

In a statement on Twitter, he called for more arms and said:

The apparent leaks in the Nord Stream pipeline are both near the island of Bornholm, which belongs to Denmark in the Baltic sea.

Sweden’s SVT quotes seismologist Björn Lund saying that the area where they detected explosions is not an area usually used for military drills. He told SVT: “We usually get information about explosions that take place underwater, but sometimes we don’t get it. In this case, we have not received any information.”

According to Lund, one of the explosions had a magnitude of 2.3 on the Richter scale, and was recorded at 30 measuring stations in southern Sweden.

Prior to the reports from the seismologists, there had already been speculation about possible sabotage, as the pipeline operator had described three lines suffering significant damage within the space of a day as “unprecedented”.

The Iranian kamikaze drones seem to be a big problem. They're cheap to manufacture, relatively hard to shoot down.

The US has given them NASAMS now for air protection. How many and where they are deployed is anyone's guess. I suppose they grew tired of waiting for anything from Israel.

They need and deserve longer range artillery and missiles to go after Russian military targets deeper within Donbas and Crimea. They have proven themselves responsible with regards to respecting the US request not to attack within Russia. This seems like it would be a wise investment with regards to duration of the war.

In general, I think it's too early to tell from anecdotal evidence how the mobilization is going to affect the war. Even if they are poorly equipped or trained, they don't need to be super soldiers to dig trenches and whatnot. The sheer numbers will make a difference, and it's foolish to bet that Russia is completely incapable of improving or learning from its mistakes.
If you send 300,000 conscripts with hopelessly inadequate training or none at all and equipped with not much more than rusty AK47 rifles into a war zone, the intent is obvious. Their contribution to Mother Russia's war effort will be to act as OADs*.

*Ordnance Absorption Devices

In general, I think it's too early to tell from anecdotal evidence how the mobilization is going to affect the war. Even if they are poorly equipped or trained, they don't need to be super soldiers to dig trenches and whatnot. The sheer numbers will make a difference, and it's foolish to bet that Russia is completely incapable of improving or learning from its mistakes.
If you send 300,000 conscripts with hopelessly inadequate training or none at all and equipped with not much more than rusty AK47 rifles into a war zone, the intent is obvious. Their contribution to Mother Russia's war effort will be to act as OADs*.

Worked for USSR in WW2. :confused2:

They had their backs to the wall.

I'll just point out the obvious differences. Defending is cheaper than invading. In WW2 Russia was receiving supplies from the Allies instead of being pretty much isolated. And Ukraine has nearly universal support from the rest of the world wheras Nazis were only liked by Libertarians at Madison Square Garden.

How soon before we see Pewstain's version of Stalin's order 227?

No it didn’t. In WWII, Russia was getting significant logistical supplies from America and other parts of the world. They did train their soldiers, for the most part, before going into battle. They couldn’t in some emergency situations, but they worked hard to give them as much as they could and to ensure that they knew what to do. It won’t work now. Giving a fuck ton of weapons to people who don’t support this war could turn out very bad for Putin. Defeated and demoralized armies have a habit of turning on their masters. At a bare minimum their defeatism and demoralization will spread like a virus through the ranks. It will likely exacerbate their problems, not help. You need professionals to fight modern wars, not unwilling conscripts. That’s lesson #1 for new NATO members.

That particular dumbass was permanently "demilitarized" and denazified.

It seems peculiar. And while barbos will ignore it, Putin didn't ask for people to enlist... he is tapping people to go. Putin knows that not drafting soldiers isn't going to work. So, the domestic desire for this war in Ukraine is much smaller than advertised. And to force people to go... into the fall and winter? How does the math work here?

It seems peculiar. And while barbos will ignore it, Putin didn't ask for people to enlist... he is tapping people to go. Putin knows that not drafting soldiers isn't going to work. So, the domestic desire for this war in Ukraine is much smaller than advertised. And to force people to go... into the fall and winter? How does the math work here?
You do realize that Ukraine has had mobilization for a while now?
They are mobilizing women now. I guess, good job, neocons!

Figured you were stuck in traffic.

:rimshot:

what?
Just wondered about your whereabouts. Thought maybe you headed for the border.
So, I'm just going to note that drafting those who faithfully engage on behalf of Russia in propaganda and informational warfare are probably a lot less likely to end up on the front lines.

Last I knew that was what protestors we're for. The only thing Barbos is protesting is the reality that Russia is losing the war for hearts and minds.

Last I knew that was what protestors we're for. The only thing Barbos is protesting is the reality that Russia is losing the war for hearts and minds.
Well, China, India, Pakistan, Iran, Africa support Russia. That's a lot of hearts.
NATO is supported only by, well, NATO countries alone.

Back
Top Bottom