• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Russian Invasion of Ukraine - tactics and logistics

DrZoidberg, still think a lot of german words in ukrainian?

You said "German". I didn't. I said "Germanic". It's a big difference between German and Germanic. German, Swedish, Dutch and English are all Germanic languages. Yet, quite distinct. Ukrainian isn't a Germanic language, but has plenty of Germanic words. Something Russian doesn't have.

Azov nazis blocked at AzovSteel suggested exchanging hostages they are holding for food and medical supplies.
Unspun:
Russians in negotiations with pepole in AzovSteel because they lack the ability to take facility without serious losses.
Captured ukrainian soldiers complained that javelines and NLAWs were with expired batteries and only 1 in 4 actually worked.
Unspun:
Russia has detained surrendered Ukrainian soldiers.

The outcome of that battle is what later led to Ukraine being absorbed into Russia.
You sound almost as if Ukraine is a part of Sweden.

I haven't looked this up, but if remember my grade school history correctly Ukraine was allied with Sweden against Russia. It didn't go so well. They were defeated in the same way Napoleon and Germany later were. Scorched earth tactics.

Just imagine if half of them worked.
Zelensky would be presiding over Pootey’s trial by now!

If he declares war Putin can call up the reserves.

If he declares war Putin can call up the reserves.
You've gotta admire the fascist dictators who respect the nuances of constitutional law. Having said that, considering conscripts in Ukraine are currently using Mosin Nagants what are the reserves going to be equipped with? Martini Henrys? Krnkas?
I understand that there are several thousand 'Brown Bess' muskets still in storage at the Tower of London. Perhaps the UK government could donate them to Germany, who could swap them for gas and avoid the embarrassment of sending hard currency to Moscow. ;)

I understand that there are several thousand 'Brown Bess' muskets still in storage at the Tower of London. Perhaps the UK government could donate them to Germany, who could swap them for gas and avoid the embarrassment of sending hard currency to Moscow. ;)
They might as well:

T-90M

Russia has lost one of its most advanced tanks during a battle with Ukrainian forces near Kharkiv. Pictures have emerged of the damaged T-90M, which is built with extra layers of armour and systems designed to protect the vehicle from shells and missile attacks.

"Nice tank you got there ... shame is something should happen to it!" (video)
Yet another victory for Mother Russia! I mean... Ukraine... but that's still Russia, right?

Captured ukrainian soldiers complained that javelines and NLAWs were with expired batteries and only 1 in 4 actually worked.
So they're kicking your arses with sub-standard weapons?

I wonder how they'll go with top shelf ones.

See you in Moscow!

The Ukraine war has revealed the sorry state the Russian army is in. Rampant corruption has led to even the Russian army being bled dry, so they only have shit weapons. The post WW2 USSR army was also mostly just for show. In hindsight it was complete shit. And Putin hasn't bothered to modernize it. It's a total joke.

A Swedish military analyst made the comment that the reason Russia attacked now, is because he has a window of opportunity if he wants to keep Ukraine under the Russian thumb. It was just a matter of time before Ukraine would have been strong enough to defend itself against Russian aggression. Modern warfare is heavily technological, and Russia's only advantage is the ability to throw endless amount of fresh bodies at the enemy. If the western powers upgrade Ukraine's defenses enough, no amount of fresh bodies are enough to win against Ukraine. It's a decent theory. Does sound a bit like justification after the fact. But it makes sense IMHO.

Yeah. Hardly surprising. Pentagon denies sharing intel on general officers. But I really wonder.

I heard an interview a few weeks ago with a US military advisor who spent a couple years in Ukraine training their armed forces. It was pretty interesting. First off to realize that the US military was training the Ukrainians, but also what they were helping with. Simply put, the old Soviet command structure that Ukraine was operating under was very, very "top-down." If a colonel saw a vulnerable target in his area and wanted to move against it, he'd have to send his idea all the way up the chain to a general before he would be approved to do something about it. Of course, by the time it went up the food chain and all the way back down, the opportunity would be lost. That's out the window.

The US modernized the Ukrainian command structure (based upon all the hard lessons won in Afghanistan and Iraq) and taught them the value of having local commanders make tactical decisions on the fly. They also trained the Ukrainians in the latest (again, hard-won) urban warfare tactics and what works when you need to defend a city against a vastly superior force. Not saying they anticipated this conflict, but since 2014 when Putin - I mean "pro-Russian separatists" invaded Ukraine, the US has been working hand in hand with them to an extent, and passing along very valuable information.

Yes, the Ukrainian military is very motivated and putting up a helluva fight, but they're fighting not just harder, but smarter. Are they being helped by the US with regards to intelligence? Perhaps. Is the US telling them where the generals are? Gosh, I dunno. But if by chance the Ukrainians find a warship here or a general there, they know what to do with that information.

And now, we return you to Barbos' constant stream of propaganda...

Reactions: SLD
How Ukraine Uses Obsolete Soviet Grenades To Destroy Russian Tanks From Above
Soviet-era RKG-3 anti-tank grenades with 3D-printed tail fins attached to stabilize their fall from drones.
View attachment 38447
The fact is, while they can jam the drone's remote control, they can't jam a "held target solution". The idea would be get close enough and then put it on "do the thing mode" where it then goes radio silence and does the thing, exits the radio blackout zone, and then the controller gets it back and it fucks off back home.

Soviet-era RKG-3 anti-tank grenades with 3D-printed tail fins attached to stabilize their fall from drones.
View attachment 38447
The fact is, while they can jam the drone's remote control, they can't jam a "held target solution". The idea would be get close enough and then put it on "do the thing mode" where it then goes radio silence and does the thing, exits the radio blackout zone, and then the controller gets it back and it fucks off back home.

The "do the thing mode" is also known as "autonomous mode". The robots used on Martian missions cannot be teleoperated in real time, so they have sophisticated software programs that allow them to operate autonomously after receiving instructions. A lot of advances have been made in the autonomous operation of machinery in the past few decades. What is happening in Ukraine will lead to changes in how drones operate in the future, and I shudder to think of what that will mean for lethal drones that are cut free from control by human teleoperators. Fueled by popular science fiction fantasies, people have a strong tendency to overestimate the intelligence of autonomous operation of machinery.

View attachment 38447

The "do the thing mode" is also known as "autonomous mode". The robots used on Martian missions cannot be teleoperated in real time, so they have sophisticated software programs that allow them to operate autonomously after receiving instructions. A lot of advances have been made in the autonomous operation of machinery in the past few decades. What is happening in Ukraine will lead to changes in how drones operate in the future, and I shudder to think of what that will mean for lethal drones that are cut free from control by human teleoperators. Fueled by popular science fiction fantasies, people have a strong tendency to overestimate the intelligence of autonomous operation of machinery.
Well, think what you wish about what is "fiction" and what is "foretelling", I'm merely talking about ballistics solutions, and canned controls like "swoop in on visual structure marked, drop the grenade, pick random direction, Up Up and Away!"

People also overestimate the need for intelligence in certain operations. As long as it's more accurate than lobbing a grenade over a berm after a quarter second glance, it's probably good enough.

I'm not talking about stuffing a whole general intelligence structure in the thing, only a "constant target identifier" and a static scripted action.

...I'm not talking about stuffing a whole general intelligence structure in the thing, only a "constant target identifier" and a static scripted action.

You aren't, but the government is. I've worked in this area before.

Back
Top Bottom