• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Russian scientists created cure for cancer (all types/kinds of it)

As I understand it a universal treatment for cancers is the Holy Grail for researchers.

There has been reporting of progress here and elsewhere, but no breakthroughs.

There are periodic news reporsS of medical research as if something profound has happens, but if you listen it is usually a small study that shows potential.
Here is a thing though. Western claims do not have the same weight as russian. For the reasons I posted earlier.

Laugh without reason is a sign of stupidity

Invade without reason is a sign of stupidity (proverb I made up).
yes, George W Bush is stupid............And Clinton, and Obama, And Biden, and Trump.

Yup, I don't worship any of these people.
I don't worship other person either. But what you said does not apply to him, while it does apply to the ones I just mentioned.

Geoge Bush and Putin were both stupid and lied themselves and their nations into hopeless wars.

Show us on the doll where Ukraine touched Russia.

As I understand it a universal treatment for cancers is the Holy Grail for researchers.

There are periodic news reporsS of medical research as if something profound has happens, but if you listen it is usually a small study that shows potential.
Here is a thing though. Western claims do not have the same weight as russian. For the reasons I posted earlier.
:rofl:

Um … Lysenko?

And that was really impressive how the Soviets beat the U.S. to land men on the moon … oh, wait.

Wouldn’t surprise me, though, if Russian school kids were taught that “alternative” history.

Yes, and Russian soldiers get resurrected after they are killed in Ukraine.

This is the science forum. The sourced article is in Russian. Can we have the actual supposed science behind this, from an independent source, in a language everyone can read?
I don't think we can. It appears that the research is at the stage where one experiment on mice with one type of cancer (melanoma) is still ongoing, so there probably is no scientific study yet in any language. The article is a popular press interview with an institutes lead researcher. The theoretical prediction seems to be that the method should also work on other kinds of cancer, but so far there's only preliminary data on melanoma in mice: the researcher is quoted saying the mice in the control group died after an average of 18-22 days while the mice in the study group are all still alive, but if it mentioned how long the experiment had been running, I didn't catch it.

The method is an individualised mRNA vaccine, which requires extracting samples from an individual patients healthy and cancerous tissue and identifying specific mutations on the cancerous tissue that can than be used to train the immune system on "novel" antigens only present in the cancer. A couple potential problems I see and that aren't addressed (not would I exist them to be addressed in a popular press piece) are these:

- as far as I know, not all mutations can be detected through the membrane, ie not all proteins and peptids a cell produces are presented, or are they? And even if they typically are, don't advanced cancers have advanced methods of hiding themselves?
- what guarantees that the mutant antigens are specific to the cancer rather than being the product of a benign somatic mutation that long predates the development of the cancer? If it's the latter, wouldn't training the immune system against them risk having the consequence of it attacking healthy tissue in hard to predict ways?
- this sounds like it is going to remain very expensive for the foreseeable future. How likely is it to ever become available for regular patients?

Take all of this with a grain of salt. My understanding of Russian is only marginally better than my understanding of oncology.

Um … Lysenko?

And that was really impressive how the Soviets beat the U.S. to land men on the moon … oh, wait.

Wouldn’t surprise me, though, if Russian school kids were taught that “alternative” history.
Lysenko is another story, but the Soviets did beat NASA to every milestone except landing a man on the moon: first satellite in orbit, first animal in space, first human in space, first probe on the moon, first photos from the far side of the moon, first probe on the surface of another planet, need I go on?

Maybe American school kids are taught alternative history too?

Unfortunately I am not even a tiny bit fluent in Russian
You are not fluent in google translate either, apparently.
With recent advances in biology, DNA and RNA sequencing etc, lots of companies are working on cancer vaccines and other cures. So nothing really new here. Already vaccines are available that prevent cervical cancer,
Cervical cancer vaccine is really a vaccine against virus which is the main cause of that kind of cancer. And it's preventive.
Russian cure is therapeutic and works against all cancers.
Something that works on all forms of cancer? That doesn't pass the laugh test.
Laugh without reason is a sign of stupidity (russian proverb for you)
If you had read the news article you would have understood why and how it should work against all cancers.
Over a decade ago, don't remember exactly when, scientists had a great cancer cure that worked in mice. I learned about this when I worked in biotech from a PhD colleague who was following the studies. He said next the scientists tried it in humans and it just didn't work. If you think about it, all the cancer cure candidates are tried in animal testing first and do very well. Then, with humans maybe not so much.
US researchers are under constant pressure for funding and publications and are forced to bullshit.
in other words "Fake it till you make it".
It is considered to be considerate to post links in the language common to the majority of the posters.

That said, I’m well aware of the deficits of google translate, particularly with scientific papers, which I assume your link contained, not merely a link to a news article?

Unfortunately I am not even a tiny bit fluent in Russian
You are not fluent in google translate either, apparently.
With recent advances in biology, DNA and RNA sequencing etc, lots of companies are working on cancer vaccines and other cures. So nothing really new here. Already vaccines are available that prevent cervical cancer,
Cervical cancer vaccine is really a vaccine against virus which is the main cause of that kind of cancer. And it's preventive.
Russian cure is therapeutic and works against all cancers.
Something that works on all forms of cancer? That doesn't pass the laugh test.
Laugh without reason is a sign of stupidity (russian proverb for you)
If you had read the news article you would have understood why and how it should work against all cancers.
Over a decade ago, don't remember exactly when, scientists had a great cancer cure that worked in mice. I learned about this when I worked in biotech from a PhD colleague who was following the studies. He said next the scientists tried it in humans and it just didn't work. If you think about it, all the cancer cure candidates are tried in animal testing first and do very well. Then, with humans maybe not so much.
US researchers are under constant pressure for funding and publications and are forced to bullshit.
in other words "Fake it till you make it".
It is considered to be considerate to post links in the language common to the majority of the posters.

That said, I’m well aware of the deficits of google translate, particularly with scientific papers, which I assume your link contained, not merely a link to a news article?
It's a news article, an interview with an institute's lead researcher in part covering ongoing unpublished research about an individualised mRNA vaccine based method of cancer treatment.

It's a news article, an interview with an institute's lead researcher in part covering ongoing unpublished research about an individualised mRNA vaccine based method of cancer treatment.
IOW, it’s bullshit.

If we look for historical patterns of Russian claims of a cure for cancer we can see that they've cured cancer multiple times. This makes their latest claim to have cured cancer especially believable. I mean, if they've cured cancer over and over, then why couldn't they again cure cancer? This just shows how superior their science is.

1899: The Daily News and Intelligencer. Jan 18, 1899. Page 2. A Russian Cancer Cure.
The basis of the new cancer cure of the Russian scientist, Dr. Gospodeen Denisenko, is swallow-wort, known to botanists as Cholidonium majus. ...​

1925: TRY RUSSIAN CANCER 'CURE'; Moscow Hospitals Report Success With Dr. Molotkov's Remedy.

1934: RUSSIAN SCIENTIST CLAIMS NEW CURE; Dr. Kasakof Describes Use of Serum Obtained From High Water Pressure. GLANDS ARE STIMULATED Healing of Cancer and Many Other Diseases Reported -- His Book in Demand.

1947: The Daily Mail. Jul 01, 1947. Page 1. New Russian Cancer Cure, KR, Is Proving Highly Effective.
New York, July 1 (AP) - The American Review of Soviet Medicine, published by the American-Soviet Medical Society of New York, reports today that the new Russian cancer remedy, KR, is dissolving the malignant growths on about half of the patients thus far tested.

1962. Lansing State Journal. Aug 02, 1962. Page 21. Russian 'Cancer Cure' Has Communist Party in Middle.
MOSCOW, Aug. 2 (AP) - A controversy over a Leningrad therapist's "cancer cure" spilled onto the pages of Pravda Wednesday.

The Soviet Communist newspaper published angry letters from opposing camps in a dispute over a treatment developed by A.T. Kachugin, who blames consumption of yeast for human cancer. ...​

2006. Cancer vaccine may soon be available for everybody

2006. Russian miracle water can cure cancer and restore youth

2006. Miraculous garlic vodka treats diabetes and cancer

2008. Russian scientists grow new tobacco that kills cancer instead of humans

2009. Supercell Produces Oil and Cures Cancer

IOW, it’s bullshit.
As I understand it, mRNA vaccines are widely considered our current best hope for a broadband cure against cancer, and not just in Russia either. It's not pseudoscience they're doing. They haven't however moved beyond the "promising preliminary results in mice" stage yet, so calling it THE cure seems premature to say the least.

The method is an individualised mRNA vaccine, which requires extracting samples from an individual patients healthy and cancerous tissue and identifying specific mutations on the cancerous tissue that can than be used to train the immune system on "novel" antigens only present in the cancer. A couple potential problems I see and that aren't addressed (not would I exist them to be addressed in a popular press piece) are these:

- as far as I know, not all mutations can be detected through the membrane, ie not all proteins and peptids a cell produces are presented, or are they? And even if they typically are, don't advanced cancers have advanced methods of hiding themselves?
- what guarantees that the mutant antigens are specific to the cancer rather than being the product of a benign somatic mutation that long predates the development of the cancer? If it's the latter, wouldn't training the immune system against them risk having the consequence of it attacking healthy tissue in hard to predict ways?
- this sounds like it is going to remain very expensive for the foreseeable future. How likely is it to ever become available for regular patients?

Take all of this with a grain of salt. My understanding of Russian is only marginally better than my understanding of oncology.

Exactly--cancer is simply too varied to fall for a single attack method. That's why I said it doesn't pass the laugh test.

And as you say it could go after benign tissue. This would be a risk but against a tumor that can't be addressed by other means go ahead anyway. When the situation is dire enough quite dangerous treatments still get approval. I've got one drug in mind that has a mortality rate above 1% per use--yet it's not even a last resort option.

It doesn't strike me as that expensive, though. Full genomic sequence of the body and of the tumor, look for the differences. I believe you can have 99.99% coverage for under $1k.

US researchers are under constant pressure for funding and
Russian researchers get all the funding they need /s
The Russian space program survives only because we contract out some of our needs to them. I doubt their cancer team is doing any better.
yes, George W Bush is stupid............And Clinton, and Obama, And Biden, and Trump.
... especially Trump.

And even less attainable. Cancer is simply too varied.
It would not be one single vaccine or drug. The technique would tailor a specific genetic match to a particular cancer, as I understand it. No different in principle with different vaccines for COVID variations.

We have gene therapy and RNA based COVID vaccines.

Russian scientists created cure for cancer (all types/kinds of it).
Works on mice 100%
Russian cure for all cancers: a bullet to the head.

Um … Lysenko?

Lysenko is another story, but the Soviets did beat NASA to every milestone except landing a man on the moon: first satellite in orbit, first animal in space, first human in space, first probe on the moon, first photos from the far side of the moon, first probe on the surface of another planet, need I go on?

Maybe American school kids are taught alternative history too?
Also things are supposed to be more about cooperation now than competition with the whole ISS thingy. Although nationalistic tensions (on all sides) are making that somewhat more difficult.

Russia was never been able to make a decent car or commercial jet. Don;t think I would rely on any Russian drug or vaccine, at least not until it was tested and manufactured outside Russia.

How did the efficacy of Russian and Chinese COVID vaccines compare to European and North American vaccines? Oh wait, China and Russia never released independent data analysis and tests, go figure.

Russian and Chinese nationalism preclude any meaningful cooperation and collaboration with the west.

In the space race Russia did not place as high a value on humans as we did.

Russia had its Nazi rocket scientists and we had ours, most noted Von Braun.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom