• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

SCOTUS - AA ... news from the future

Asians are not very likable or helpful and lack integrity and courage.
Is that your opinion? How about Hispanics?
Native Americans? Blacks? Caucasians?
Perhaps ascribing certain properties to entire populations is a mistake, and has nothing to do with Affirmative Action OR admissions policies.
Ever consider that?

To get around the SAT scores of Asian applicants, Harvard uses a personallity score. If Harvard is to be believed, Asians are just too boring to have on campus.
You got that from less than a page and a half of testimony???
No.

Strange. I don't see boring mentioned anywhere in that article.
It is easier to make crazy shit up and disprove that than deal with reality like an adult.

To get around the SAT scores of Asian applicants, Harvard uses a personallity score. If Harvard is to be believed, Asians are just too boring to have on campus.
No.

One of the most striking revelations pertains to Harvard’s consideration of applicants’ soft skills—things like “likability,” “helpfulness,” “integrity,” and “courage”—in determining their acceptance. Despite boasting higher test scores, better grades, and stronger extracurricular resumes than applicants of any other racial group, Asian American applicants consistently received lower rankings on those personality traits, according to a statistical analysis conducted on behalf of SFFA of more than 160,000 student records. This emphasis on personality, the analysis concludes, significantly undermined otherwise-qualified Asian Americans’ chances of getting in.

Nice dodge.
It's not a dodge. You said "boring" and it's nowhere in the article. It was your word choice.
But apparently Asians are not very likable or helpful and lack integrity and courage. Do you agree?
I don't know. I've had very little contact with asians in my lifetime.

Perhaps ascribing certain properties to entire populations is a mistake, and has nothing to do with Affirmative Action Or admissions policies.
Ever consider that?
And it's just an Affirmative Action miracle that Asians who apply to Harvard have such horrible personalities that this outweighs their higher test scores, grades, and extracurricular resumes. Praise!

No.

It is easier to make crazy shit up and disprove that than deal with reality like an adult.
So the personality test is just made up? The Atlantic just made it up? It was discussed at the Supreme Court for no reason at all?

And it's just an Affirmative Action miracle that Asians who apply to Harvard have such horrible personalities

Did someone in admissions make that judgment?
No, Ollie did.
that this outweighs their higher test scores, grades, and extracurricular resumes. Praise!

Who are you praising Ollie?
Yourself, apparently. Ascribing certain properties to entire populations seems to be your MO.

Yourself, apparently. Ascribing certain properties to entire populations seems to be your MO.
So you gotta agree something is up when Harvard consistently scores Asians with the lowest personality score. It's wrong. At least admit that, will ya?

It's not a dodge. You said "boring" and it's nowhere in the article. It was your word choice.
If you score someone low on personality, what else would you call that?
Off the top on my head...
Introverted
Sociapathic
Lazy
The possibilities could be many. The limits to your imagination is stunning.

Introverted
Sociapathic
Lazy
Yikes! You’re saying the reason Harvard consistently scores Asians the lowest on personality is because they’re sociopathic and lazy?

Introverted
Sociapathic
Lazy
Yikes! You’re saying the reason Harvard consistently scores Asians the lowest on personality is because they’re sociopathic and lazy?
No one said that. Nor would anyone remotely literate would honestly interpret "The possibilities could be many" as two specific possibiities out of an unspecified "many".

Introverted
Sociapathic
Lazy
No one said that. Nor would anyone remotely literate would honestly interpret "The possibilities could be many" as two specific possibiities out of an unspecified "many".
I don’t believe that the Asian applicants are lazy; much the opposite. But there’s clearly an effort here to excuse the use of the personality test to disadvantage Asians. Let’s all agree this is wrong.

So you gotta agree something is up when Harvard consistently scores Asians with the lowest personality score. It's wrong. At least admit that, will ya?
No, I hate to inform you but I “gotta” do no such thing. I’m not privy to the criteria used to determine high or low “personality scores” if such things even exist. Feel free to enlighten me:

What are those criteria, how are they weighted and - as always, because your statements are suspect based on past posting history - WHAT ARE YOUR SOURCES?

To be clear, I know that admissions at Ivy League schools are biased. I could have gotten into Yale despite dropping out of high school due to my father and older brother having been standouts there. No fair to … pretty much anyone else. Lucky for them I despised academia and had no desire to haunt the halls of ivy. But your assertion is of another order. I’m really curious about these “boring Asians”, how boring you have to be to get disqualified and how your boringness is calibrated.
You speak of a“personality test”… do you have a copy perchance?

No, I hate to inform you but I “gotta” do no such thing. I’m not privy to the criteria used to determine high or low “personality scores” if such things even exist. Feel free to enlighten me:
Dude, the Atlantic article is up thread if you want to read it.
But your assertion is of another order. I’m really curious about these “boring Asians”, how boring you have to be to get disqualified and how your boringness is calibrated.
That’s what Justice Alito wanted to know, too.

That’s what Justice Alito wanted to know, too.
Guess he should have read the Atlantic article, eh? FYI I don‘ search up thread to make your points. Link it again if it is germane.

Amazing that I’ve yet to get agreement that using a subjective personality test to discriminate by race is wrong.

Amazing that I’ve yet to get agreement that using a subjective personality test to discriminate by race is wrong.
So, Oleg do you think private schools should be required to follow some “objective” test for admissions? (Yeah, separate question). WHOSE test?

Just to put you at ease, I would personally not want to attend a school that used a subjective personality test (or anything else) to discriminate by ethnicity. I suggest you examine Howard University’s admissions policies, compare them to Harvard’s (since you are so familiar) and report back to us.

Introverted
Sociapathic
Lazy
I don’t believe that the Asian applicants are lazy; much the opposite.
I didn't say you believed anything about Asians. I pointed out your response was completely off base.

But there’s clearly an effort here to excuse the use of the personality test to disadvantage Asians. Let’s all agree this is wrong.
Okay. Do you agree that the use of any test that disadvantages any group is wrong?

Introverted
Sociapathic
Lazy
No. Why would you think that? Please follow along with the conversation better and stop using straw men in your arguments.

Back
Top Bottom