• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

SCOTUS - AA ... news from the future

Until you provide actual evidence that Alito changed his mind, you are peddling horseshit apologia.

I don't know if Alito changed his mind. I don't know what happened in private conversations from 2005.

You are convinced, based on your own prejudices, that Alito lied. I am not convinced, because there are scenarios consistent with all the evidence that do not involve Alito "lying".

Until you provide actual evidence that Alito changed his mind, you are peddling horseshit apologia.

I don't know if Alito changed his mind. I don't know what happened in private conversations from 2005.
Thank you for realizing you are making up excuses based on your prejudices.
You are convinced, based on your own prejudices, that Alito lied. I am not convinced, because there are scenarios consistent with all the evidence that do not involve Alito "lying".
Unlike you, my belief is not faith-based but based on the evidence.

Of course your belief is faith-based. You believe some people and not others, based on your pre-existing prejudices.

Of course your belief is faith-based. You believe some people and not others, based on your pre-existing prejudices.
Prove it. I based my conclusion on evidence that points to Mr. Alito having lied. While it is possible my conclusion is incorrect, it is based on actual evidence. You presented no evidence on which of my alleged pre-existing prejudices (as opposed to newly formed ones on the spot?) caused me to blindly come to a conclusion.

You have presented no evidence (only conjectures) to buttress your claim. Your opinion is not evidence-based. It is purely faith-based.

Prove it. I based my conclusion on evidence that points to Mr. Alito having lied.

You have already begged the question.

While it is possible my conclusion is incorrect, it is based on actual evidence. You presented no evidence on which of my alleged pre-existing prejudices (as opposed to newly formed ones on the spot?) caused me to blindly come to a conclusion.

You have presented no evidence (only conjectures) to buttress your claim. Your opinion is not evidence-based. It is purely faith-based.

What claim? That I am not privy to private conversations that don't involve me? That actions allegedly inconsistent with allegedly previously uttered words do not mean the words were 'lies'? That you are obviously partial to the people whose views already correspond with your own.

If Kavanaugh said "I never misled or lied to Senator Collins", would you believe him, and stop believing Collins?

No, you would not. You would not because you started out believing Kavanaugh lied.

I'm glad you haven't changed your mind on any subject since 2005.

Because Harvard has a ideological beliefs and untested premises about the desirable composition of its student body, and, if it relied solely on admission measures such as academic performance, academic aptitude, and extra-curriculars, there would be too many Asians in its student body.
Do you have proof of this or is this something you removed from your hind quarters?
Have you forgotten all the posts about admission score differences? Or just look at the current case--they're using a "personality" score to put their thumb on the scale.

Jobs, Gates, Trump, Musk, and Buffett, all new wealth.
The only one that was new wealth was Jobs.

Gates was given hundreds of thousands by his parents to start Microsoft (selling someone elses product, BTW). Trump was given millions from his father and would have done better by simply investing in a stock index fund than he did with his real estate ventures. Musk's family was very wealthy, his father being a property developer and half owner of an emerald mine. And Buffett's father was a US Congressman. That's a pretty damn good way to get seed money.
The point is none of this wealth is antebellum.
None of these people came from the antebellum south so I don't see what your point is.
I think his point is that none of it is from slavery.

This just shows the resilience of heredity. One of my favorite examples is from China, where the descendants of nobles and landed gentry - who were dispossessed of their property by the Communists and Cultural Revolution - now form China’s economic and political elite.
I think it's more attitudes than genes but that's going to be hard to settle.

My favorite example is Poland. The war destroyed the schools, the Russians rebuilt the system as fairly as they could make it--and it had very little effect.

Once again, your conclusion does not follow from your premise. No one claims the transfer of gernerational wealth is the only path to success. So pointing to success stories using different paths does not rebut the effect of generational wealth.
It was presented as a major factor in the disparity we see today. For it to matter there must be a lot of it. Most estates are small, most people who are inheriting are already on their life path. (Realistic examples, three people we know who have inherited recently. All are in their 60s, 2 of the 3 had already retired before losing their last parent. In all three cases the estate is pretty much the house.)

If an opinion doesn't go the way you want, the Court must be corrupt
Projection. That is a hallmark of Republicans, straight up. Their core platform is “the only way we can lose is if it’s rigged”. They actually SAY that. It’s the core premise of their (your?) whole dishonest method of attaining and retaining power.
The ACTUAL corruption of the SC is evident in the wife of one trying to overthrow a free and fair election, and her husband lying about what he knew about her. Just as the three Trump “justices” lied under oath about Stare Decisis and “settled law ”.
Previous courts have made decisions wth which I disagreed and I never thought them corrupt. But this one is.
Which justice lied?

'X is settled law' does not equal 'I believe the law was decided correctly and if the same case were before me, I'd settle it the same way'. Nor is the US Supreme Court legally bound to never overturn precedent.

Judges did not 'lie under oath' simply because you don't understand what stare decisis means and what it entails.
I think that you do not understand what stare decisis means or what it entails.

That said, I find it difficult to believe that ANY senator actually believed 4 or 5 of them during their confirmation appointments.

Keeping talking of generational wealth doesn't make it so.
Generational wealth is an observable fact. Families pass assets. It is delusional to deny the existence of generational wealth.
Paul Krugman is a fan of Piketty's book and said he was quite surprised to learn — as Piketty demonstrated with much evidence — the large portion of income disparity that is attributable to inheritance.
In the part of his book I read before giving up in disgust I saw he proved nothing. He showed a continual social structure, he noted that the things that made the people at the top be there changed, he didn't even address whether it was the same people or not. Just because he says things you want to hear doesn't make him right.

When the Supreme Court issues its opinions on these two cases
Lol! Like we don’t already know how corrupt the Gini Thomas court is …
If an opinion doesn't go the way you want, the Court must be corrupt. That we've long known how the justices viewed these issues is irrelevant. Brilliant.
The court is horribly messed up. That doesn't mean it can't pull a stopped clock.

Which justice lied?

'X is settled law' does not equal 'I believe the law was decided correctly and if the same case were before me, I'd settle it the same way'. Nor is the US Supreme Court legally bound to never overturn precedent.

Judges did not 'lie under oath' simply because you don't understand what stare decisis means and what it entails.
If it's settled law they shouldn't have revisited it in the first place.

Which justice lied?

It absolutely should be if the Court believes it was settled wrongly.

Why are you taking the word of the plaintiffs in this case instead of using independant research? The plaintiffs are willing to skew anything they can to win their case.
This case has been through multiple courts. If that data wasn't valid Harvard would have challenged it long ago.

And there's basically no way to do independent research--you need access to Harvard's data.

Which justice lied?

No. Settled law = let it stand.

Which justice lied?

Lower courts are bound by the precedent of higher courts. The US Supreme Court is not bound by its own precedent, no matter how long the precedent has stood. In fact, SCOTUS has overturned precedent dozens of times, whether those precedents were considered settled law or not.

Which justice lied?

Plessy?

Prove it. I based my conclusion on evidence that points to Mr. Alito having lied.

You have already begged the question.
As usual, you fling your conclusions without any basis.
While it is possible my conclusion is incorrect, it is based on actual evidence. You presented no evidence on which of my alleged pre-existing prejudices (as opposed to newly formed ones on the spot?) caused me to blindly come to a conclusion.

What claim? That I am not privy to private conversations that don't involve me? That actions allegedly inconsistent with allegedly previously uttered words do not mean the words were 'lies'? That you are obviously partial to the people whose views already correspond with your own.
No need to keep admitting you only have conjectures. For some reason, you feel repetition ofyour pedantic apologia makes it more convincing.
If Kavanaugh said "I never misled or lied to Senator Collins", would you believe him, and stop believing Collins?

No, you would not. You would not because you started out believing Kavanaugh lied.

I'm glad you haven't changed your mind on any subject since 2005.
Please learn to read. I did not say Mr Kavanaugh lied. I said Mr Alito lied.

As long as we are playing pedantic games, Mr. Kavanaugh did mislead Senator Collins. Whether he intentionally misled Senator Collins is a different question.

Back
Top Bottom