• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Seafood - What do you like?

How often do you eat seafood?

• Total voters
My least favorites
Bad tuna
Salmon (never have liked the taste, don't know why; my boyfriend secretly cooks up a salmon whenever I'm gone for more than a night.)
For most of my life I hated salmon but then the only salmon I had eaten was canned. On a working trip out to Washington state, the person I was there to help invited me home for dinner and grilled fresh salmon. I was shocked how tasty fresh salmon is. I don't know what they do to make the canned version taste like it does but they should stop doing it. I now love salmon... fresh salmon - still hate canned salmon.

It certainly does taste better fresh. I'm afraid I refused to eat even fresh salmon when I was a child and my grandpa had a river to fish it out of. But as an adult, I've had it a few times; once, cooked woodplank, Yurok-style by a Native guy who knew what he was doing. I could tell that it was of very high quality, but I would still prefer other kinds of fish. To my slight chagrin really, as you can see from the above example where a dislike of salmon sits a bit awkwardly with my usual research interests!

You can probably buy Japanese bonito katsuobushi at that market if you wanna experiment.

And I like it alright, but you know who fricking loves "bonito flakes", the cheapo street snack food version of the same? My cat. Not kidding, she will kill a bitch to get a pinch of the stuff. :D

I never pay more than $3/pound for any meat. So it's frozen tilapia. Best is baked for 15 min in the toaster oven at 350F seasoned with black pepper, thyme and sumac powder, smeared with mayo and capers.

I make a very tasty bouillabaisse using frozen swai fillets, but the price of swai has suddenly gone through the roof. I add some wakami seaweed to give it more of a seafood flavor.
Forgot to mention swai, which I am also fond of.

When making either, I like to throw in a bit of butter with the other seasonings. Because life is young and I work out.

I never pay more than $3/pound for any meat. So it's frozen tilapia. Best is baked for 15 min in the toaster oven at 350F seasoned with black pepper, thyme and sumac powder, smeared with mayo and capers.

I make a very tasty bouillabaisse using frozen swai fillets, but the price of swai has suddenly gone through the roof. I add some wakami seaweed to give it more of a seafood flavor.
Forgot to mention swai, which I am also fond of.

When making either, I like to throw in a bit of butter with the other seasonings. Because life is young and I work out.

That would be de rigueur. Unfortunately I need to steer away from butter, cheese and other animal fat in my recipes as a matter of course. But I use lots of olive oil. And I use "Just Mayo" that has no eggs in it and somehow tastes just like mayo.

I enjoy a lobster roll, scallops, calamari and clam chowda when in Cape Code. I love fish tacos but not with talapia, has to be cod.

Growing up, we had a house on the beach in Naples FL about 2 blocks from the fishing pier. We had Stone Crab Pots - those are my fav crustaceans to this day. The bait house on the pier netted shrimp (right off the pier) and sold them by the dozen (cheap). Variable sizes, and we'd save the big ones to eat. Still the best ever! But also learned to love redfish, mangrove snapper, pompano and a slew of other white-fleshed fish. Spoiled me for life, I'm afraid. Now living in CO, I rarely eat fish unless I'm traveling. :(

Very little seafood that I don't like, and I have it generally about 1/week, usually in the form of sushi (which really makes me miss living in Seattle).

If I'm cooking for myself, I generally like to make salmon, or when I can get it, steelhead.

Back
Top Bottom