• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Seafood - What do you like?

How often do you eat seafood?

• Total voters

rousseau

Contributor
I haven't noticed a thread in this section about seafood yet, so here it is.

When I was in high school I worked in a seafood department at a grocery store and that got me started. At the time I tried a sizeable variety of fish, as well as shellfish, and since then seafood has been a regular part of my diet.

For a while I'd buy different types of fish (salmon, catfish, tilapia, sole, pickerel.. you name it), and occasionally treat myself to some premium shellfish (fresh scallops, jumbo shrimp, squid). But these days I'm more practical about it as I try to make seafood a normal, if not frequent, part of my diet. Lots of salmon lately, and in the past few months I've been buying frozen baby shrimp for those times I need a quick, healthy protein fix.

Anyway, will leave it there. If you like seafood, what do you tend to go for, and how often?

Halibut or cod as fish & chips, frequently.
Shrimp, occasionally.
Scallops, occasionally.
Smoked mussels, rarely.
Squid, rarely.

I'm not really a seafood fan, and I avoid most shellfish, crab and lobster are wasted on me, and I dislike salmon and tuna intensely.

I mostly don't like seafood, but there are certain exceptions.

Sushi (yes, including the raw fish) hardly seems like seafood at all. Anything that involves cooked seafood (eel, shrimp, etc) is probably not going to appeal to me.

Bonito katsuobushi is basically tuna bacon. Whether used to enhance the flavor of a sauce or as a garnish, I love it.

Seaweed is like any other vegetable to me, which is to say that I like some preparations, but not others.

Other than that, if it comes from underwater, I probably don't like to eat it.

I love salmon. We eat it grilled almost every Friday. If I'm at the beach, just about any fresh seafood is wonderful, including grilled tuna, grouper and snapper. I eat shrimp but I'm not as fond of it as I was when I was younger. Since my husband is now the chef at our house, I will eat fresh garlic shrimp if that's what he's in the mood to make. I like most high quality fish, so that leaves catfish and tilapia out. Fish has to be grilled or baked for me. I rarely eat fried fish, and we never make it at home. And, to each his/her own. I can't eat sushi unless the fish is cooked. Seriously. Raw fish doesn't do it for me, but my son loves it. I think it may be a generational thing. We never had sushi was I was young, but it became very popular when the Gen X kids were growing up. The only fresh water fish that I like is trout, but we only eat it when we go to a nearby restaurant. I try to eat fish at least two or three times a week. If I lived at the beach, it might be a daily thing.

Once or twice a week. Shrimp, tuna, salmon, mussels. Other fish occasionally. Oysters if the price is reasonable and someone else is shucking. Blue crab (steamed whole) very occasionally, due to cost. Squid once in a while. Scallops and crabcakes, usually at a restaurant when we're not trying to eat cheap.

I'm half Scandinavian and half Japanese. The fact that I don't like eating most kinds of seafood is frankly weird.

I love seafood! I wouldn't say as often as possible, because that would be like every day and it seems like that would get old.

But at least once a week or so, we have some ocean on our table, despite not otherwise eating a lot in the way of meat. We have a mostly-Chinese shopping center with supermarket a few blocks away from us, and our weekend pilgrimages there for tea, dim sum, and supplies generally end with us trekking back laden with at least one fresh fish and a few frozen crustaceans.

My favorites:
Halibut
Scallops
Bangus
Octopus
Lobster
Shark
Good tuna

My least favorites
Bad tuna
Salmon (never have liked the taste, don't know why; my boyfriend secretly cooks up a salmon whenever I'm gone for more than a night.)

My least favorites
Bad tuna
Salmon (never have liked the taste, don't know why; my boyfriend secretly cooks up a salmon whenever I'm gone for more than a night.)
For most of my life I hated salmon but then the only salmon I had eaten was canned. On a working trip out to Washington state, the person I was there to help invited me home for dinner and grilled fresh salmon. I was shocked how tasty fresh salmon is. I don't know what they do to make the canned version taste like it does but they should stop doing it. I now love salmon... fresh salmon - still hate canned salmon.

To the OP:
I grew up and live on the coast and self-caught fresh seafood is a staple. The shrimp are now running so I have my cast net ready.

Preferences in order:
Shrimp
Crab
Oysters
Flounder
Other

I am terribly underschooled at seafood.

Salmon
Tuna (canned)
Shrimp

I don't really like scallops, clams, lobster and have no idea about all other types of fish. I think I had red snapper twice, the first time was a religious experience, second time very bland. I had "whitefish" up in Tobermory twice and it was wonderful!!!!

I love seafood and I'd love to incorporate more of it into my diet but I'm too super picky about it. There's just too much ick to bother. I like the taste of lobster and shrimp, but I do not want to see a giant sea-insect carcass on my plate, or even just its tail. I do not want to see veins or stretchy bits of any kind or mystery sauces in it. I do not want to deal with rubbery silvery fish skin ever.

So I love seafood bisques and chowders that I didn't see getting prepared. I like fish patties from the freezer section of the store and sometimes at restaurants depending on if they remove all the yuck or at least hide some of it under breading if it can be removed. I like canned tuna. I occasionally eat some kinds of raw fish in sushi.

Rather than wade through all that, I just take my fish oil every day.

The immortal Terry Pratchett's Discworld equivalent of Sushi, was called Squishi....the perfect analogue.

I once had cold smoked oysters....yeeeeeuuuch...it was like eating someone else's cold snot. It brought on Pyloric Stenosis.

I didn't eat "store bought" fish until I'd moved out of the house I grew up in.

My dad was an uncanny fisherman. Our home base was on Lake St. Clair but we also ventured onto various points on Lake Huron, Lake Michigan, and on occasion down to the Florida Keys. It didn't matter where we were...he just had this knack for catching fish.

So we never had a shortage of seafood. Perch, bass, walleye, trout, salmon, etc. We even caught craw fish in rivers and cooked them up.

Now here's a simple recipe you can use. Get the freshest salmon steak you can find. A steak, not a filet. Sprinkle it with Lawry's Seasoned Salt, garlic powder, and lemon pepper seasoning. Put more on than you think you should. Cook it in a basket on a grill. Don't try to make it "mid rare" or anything...cook it all the way through. Serve with melted butter and lemon.

You're welcome.

I used to be the same way but came around when I started cooking it myself and under, rather than over-cooked it. Over-cooked Salmon is pretty awful, imo, but if you bake it right until the point that all of the bright orange colour disappears but it's moisture is still retained it's quite nice.

That said, I eat it more for it's nutritional value than anything else.

I used to be the same way but came around when I started cooking it myself and under, rather than over-cooked it. Over-cooked Salmon is pretty awful, imo, but if you bake it right until the point that all of the bright orange colour disappears but it's moisture is still retained it's quite nice.

That said, I eat it more for it's nutritional value than anything else.

I pretty much hate most seafood, but I really enjoy Salmon - I love it grilled with a crusting of poppy and/or sesame seeds.

Oh, and fake crab meat. I like that.

Although the batch of crab meat salad I just made is not that great... :/

I love seafood! I wouldn't say as often as possible, because that would be like every day and it seems like that would get old.

But at least once a week or so, we have some ocean on our table, despite not otherwise eating a lot in the way of meat. We have a mostly-Chinese shopping center with supermarket a few blocks away from us, and our weekend pilgrimages there for tea, dim sum, and supplies generally end with us trekking back laden with at least one fresh fish and a few frozen crustaceans.

My favorites:
Halibut
Scallops
Bangus
Octopus
Lobster
Shark
Good tuna

My least favorites
Bad tuna

You can probably buy Japanese bonito katsuobushi at that market if you wanna experiment.

I dislike salmon, tuna, and most oily/strong-smelling fish with a passion. I can't even be in the same room as tuna; the gag reflex kicks in.

But I love prawns, mussels, white fish (cod, tilapia, pangasius, etc.), lobster, crab, squid, octopus, scallops, cockles, even surimi (fake crab meat).

Never tried shark.

Does alligator count as seafood? Because I like that, too.

I never pay more than $3/pound for any meat. So it's frozen tilapia. Best is baked for 15 min in the toaster oven at 350F seasoned with black pepper, thyme and sumac powder, smeared with mayo and capers.

I make a very tasty bouillabaisse using frozen swai fillets, but the price of swai has suddenly gone through the roof. I add some wakami seaweed to give it more of a seafood flavor.

Love raw oysters with cocktail sauce and a beer. The beer is essential.

I love seafood and I'd love to incorporate more of it into my diet but I'm too super picky about it. There's just too much ick to bother. I like the taste of lobster and shrimp, but I do not want to see a giant sea-insect carcass on my plate, or even just its tail. I do not want to see veins or stretchy bits of any kind or mystery sauces in it. I do not want to deal with rubbery silvery fish skin ever.

So I love seafood bisques and chowders that I didn't see getting prepared. I like fish patties from the freezer section of the store and sometimes at restaurants depending on if they remove all the yuck or at least hide some of it under breading if it can be removed. I like canned tuna. I occasionally eat some kinds of raw fish in sushi.

Rather than wade through all that, I just take my fish oil every day.

I'm the same way and have found salmon a pretty good candidate to get around this problem. I bake fillets in a toaster oven on top of tin foil for about 10 - 15 minutes and the meat usually comes right off the skin. Tilapia and Sole fillets are also good candidates as a fish that's not too strong and usually sold skinned.

I'll avoid fillets like Pickerel for the reason you mention above, don't want to deal with getting around the skin.

Back
Top Bottom