• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Shamanism

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
I took a class on it one time, a gazillion years ago. Part of the class was an anthopologist's account of shadowing a Shaman in the Southwest.
One man came to him, wanting to find wild burros.
Shaman did his woo, described a particular ravine, and a place in that ravine. "Go there, you will find seven or eight burros." Man paid, went away happy.
Second man came to the shaman. Same question.
Shaman did the woo. Described the same location. "Go there, you will find three or four burros." This man wasn't sure that was worth the effort, but paid and went away.
Anthropologist observed, "I guess it pays to be first."
Shaman shrugged. "Doesn't really make a difference."
"But," she insisted, "the second man will find fewer burros. Doesn't that mean 1st man got there first?"
"No," he replied. "No matter what order they go, 2nd man will find fewer burros. Because he is an unhappy man, and would not believe he could have good luck in this."
"Oh! So, he's going to be pleasantly surprised when he finds 7-8 burros!"
"No, he's only going to find 3-4 because that is the reality he lives in."

This was a difficult concept for the class to accept. Our view of reality is that is an objective truth, independent of our expectations or opinions.

I could never fully grasp the concept until today.
The whistleblower, playing the shaman, told seekers that if they looked at certain things, they might find wrongdoing.
The Democrats, and, like, 75% of the nation, found wrongdoing. The Republicans found no more wrongdoing than they expected to find before any testimony was given.
But good God, we found a lot of jackasses, huh?

I took a class on it one time, a gazillion years ago. Part of the class was an anthopologist's account of shadowing a Shaman in the Southwest.
Shaman did his woo, described a particular ravine, and a place in that ravine. "Go there, you will find seven or eight burros." Man paid, went away happy.
Shaman did the woo. Described the same location. "Go there, you will find three or four burros." This man wasn't sure that was worth the effort, but paid and went away.
"But," she insisted, "the second man will find fewer burros. Doesn't that mean 1st man got there first?"
"No," he replied. "No matter what order they go, 2nd man will find fewer burros. Because he is an unhappy man, and would not believe he could have good luck in this."

This was a difficult concept for the class to accept. Our view of reality is that is an objective truth, independent of our expectations or opinions.

The whistleblower, playing the shaman, told seekers that if they looked at certain things, they might find wrongdoing.
The Democrats, and, like, 75% of the nation, found wrongdoing. The Republicans found no more wrongdoing than they expected to find before any testimony was given.

I think at least some if not most or all Republicans. if they were honest, saw the truth. They were just afraid it would make them take an action that scares them to death. I understand. The only thing scarier than removing a sitting POTUS is not removing one who has committed so many impeachable offenses, and IMO, treason. It would be uncharted territory to remove a sitting POTUS and I actually understand their reluctance. Plus Pence.

Instead, they chickenshitted it and threw it back to the voters. And are willing to lie their asses off to protect their own ass, no matter if it delivers up Donald J. Trump once again.

Well, they cannot condemn Trump for election manipulation wothout the risk of their election manipulation being limited.

Well, that's a stupid story. If someone believes in the shaman's ability enough to pay him/her actual money, then whatever number the shaman gave them would have been accepted in the mind of the payer. There may be a good point about subjective perception creating our reality, but that story doesn't do a good job of analogizing that.

Republicans don't believe in this particular shaman. They believe in their own shaman, the one(s) who say the first shaman is a never-Trumper.

Anyway, where do I find a class on how to be a shaman? I asked my daughter once, if I became a shaman, what would she tell her friends when they asked what her mother does, and she said she wouldn't wait for them to ask, she'd just tell everyone. :rotfl:

Hmm, I teach about shamans in my Magic & Religion class. But if you want to learn to be a shaman, you'll need to talk to Michael Harner over in Berkeley.

If you pay me money, I'll tell you where there are several shamans who can teach you.

Well, that's a stupid story. If someone believes in the shaman's ability enough to pay him/her actual money, then whatever number the shaman gave them would have been accepted in the mind of the payer. There may be a good point about subjective perception creating our reality, but that story doesn't do a good job of analogizing that.

Republicans don't believe in this particular shaman. They believe in their own shaman, the one(s) who say the first shaman is a never-Trumper.

Anyway, where do I find a class on how to be a shaman? I asked my daughter once, if I became a shaman, what would she tell her friends when they asked what her mother does, and she said she wouldn't wait for them to ask, she'd just tell everyone. :rotfl:

I prefer to pay my shamen by the burro, and get my burros up front. Shady sha-men piss me off.

Back
Top Bottom