• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Share your recipes

So, uhm, kielbasa tastes good in stir fry. Didn't expect that.

I had an odd collection of leftovers I had to get rid of.

• Kielbasa sliced into medallions
  • Various kinds of fruit chopped up (pineapple, tangerine, grape, raspberry)
  • Fresh garlic & ginger
  • Rice vinegar
  • 1 small onion
  • 2 bell pepers
  • Sliced mushrooms
  • Soy sauce

Should've made rice. It would've tasted good on top of rice.

I heard somewhere that putting a bit of vegetable oil in the wrapper dough can make them stick less to the pan. I haven't tested that out, though.

Maple Chicken Wings

3 to 4 pounds of chicken wings
1/3 cup teryaki sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp onion powder
1 to 2 cups maple syrup.

Preheat oven to 350.

Divide the wings into drumsticks, forearms and trash the tips.

Place in a large disposable baking pan (we always place that pan on a sturdy cooking sheet). Add half the maple syrup and all of the other ingredients, toss to coat.

Bake for approx 1 to 1 1/2 hours, tossing every 20 minutes. The liquid should gradually evaporate. When most of it is gone, increase the oven temp to 425, pour the remaining syrup over the wings and toss to evenly coat them. Cook an additional 10 minutes.

It's often quite salty, so I serve with a fruit salad, or just a whole bunch of cut up fruit.

Made a discovery last night. Usually i have used a small disposable pan, the wings basically boil in the sauce.

For the office party, i tried cooking them in a turkey roasting pan.
The sauce was shallow, greater surface area, more of the chicken stuck out, got a crispier coating, very popular at the pot luck.

Maple Chicken Wings

3 to 4 pounds of chicken wings
1/3 cup teryaki sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp onion powder
1 to 2 cups maple syrup.

Preheat oven to 350.

Divide the wings into drumsticks, forearms and trash the tips.

Place in a large disposable baking pan (we always place that pan on a sturdy cooking sheet). Add half the maple syrup and all of the other ingredients, toss to coat.

Bake for approx 1 to 1 1/2 hours, tossing every 20 minutes. The liquid should gradually evaporate. When most of it is gone, increase the oven temp to 425, pour the remaining syrup over the wings and toss to evenly coat them. Cook an additional 10 minutes.

It's often quite salty, so I serve with a fruit salad, or just a whole bunch of cut up fruit.

Made a discovery last night. Usually i have used a small disposable pan, the wings basically boil in the sauce.

For the office party, i tried cooking them in a turkey roasting pan.
The sauce was shallow, greater surface area, more of the chicken stuck out, got a crispier coating, very popular at the pot luck.

Interesting, although most people cook the winglets separately (on a rack in a convection oven or deep-fried), then toss them in sauce after they're done cooking. That way you get a crunchy outside, juicy inside, and the sauce isn't altered by the cooking process in any way.

• Fresh garlic & ginger
  • Rice vinegar
  • 1 small onion
  • 2 bell pepers
  • Sliced mushrooms
  • Soy sauce

Many types of fried rice. Why not kielbasa? My shrimp fried rice is much the same. I did drop the mushrooms from the list. I think they clash with the sweetness of the fruit.

• Fresh garlic & ginger
  • Rice vinegar
  • 1 small onion
  • 2 bell pepers
  • Sliced mushrooms
  • Soy sauce

Many types of fried rice. Why not kielbasa? My shrimp fried rice is much the same. I did drop the mushrooms from the list. I think they clash with the sweetness of the fruit.

Fair enough. I was kinda going for a salty-sweet thing, which is why I went out and bought them.

In retrospect, a lot of the other stuff got overcooked because I was trying to reduce the thin runny syrup the fruit salad was in. I should've reduced the chopped fruit by itself, then set it aside while cooking the other ingredients.

A search of this thread didn't turn up anything.

Anyone got a good recipe for mulled wine or cider?

I'm going with cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, orange slices, and cloves for the mulling spices. Probably just put it in the crockpot on low for a few hours.

Something simple.

My one and only kitchen gadget is a chopper. I put a potato in the microwave for 3.5 minutes. While it cooks I chop a mix of carrots, cucumber, celery, carrots, onion, and red cabbage.

When the potato cools cut it up, mix in the vegetables, add a little mayo. Quick potato salad. Easy cleanup, rinse out the chopper.

Goes great with a ham and cheese sandwich.

The microwave power is 450 watts. For the smaller red potatoes I use 3.5 minutes give me perfect potatoes very time. You may have to experiment with other kinds of potatoes. I put the potato on a small cup. Otherwise the bottom will end up hard.

Last edited:
Tonight I literally chucked together the following in a non stick frypan with butter and garlic infused olive oil, until cooked:

2 chicken thigh fillets - chopped into bite sized bits
A red onion - chopped.
3 large mushrooms- chopped
250g cherry tomatoes - left whole
A tin of baby potatoes - drained and left whole
A decent drizzle of balsamic glaze,
A handful of fresh basil.

It was surprisingly good! And only took about 15 mins from wo to go!

Do you like french toast? Have you tried one of them fancy "overnight" french toast casserole recipes that sounds real good but was so sloppy, soft, over sweet, and you wanted to turn back time to smack yourself in the face to prevent you from making something like that ever? But you still want a viable french toast casserole! I present my french toast cube recipe. It provides the french toast experience, in a casserole, with layers of soft, tender, and crispy.

French Toast Cubes

Bread

Enough fresh white bread cubes to fill a 13x9 glass dish. Cubes should float above the top of the dish, but not too high above. Cubes should be around 1 inch x 1 inch x 1 inch and it'll take about (1 to 1.5 loaves of white bread)

Mixture
5 eggs
1 3/4 cups milk
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla

Topping
3 to 4 tbsp cinnamon sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pull out a 9x13 glass pan.
Line bottom of pan with bread cubes. So recipes for this sort of thing say to grease, but I haven't had issues of not greasing.
In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, 2 tbsp sugar, salt, and vanilla. Pour egg mixture over bread being sure to drizzle it over each piece. The cubes should not be soggy from the drizzling. The sog will be found at the bottom of the dish. Mixture should be about 1/2-inch deep. You DO NOT want to drown all of the bread. Why bother using fresh bread if you are just going to drown it?!

Let stand for about 10 minutes.

Evenly spread cinnamon sugar across top of bread.

Bake in preheated oven about 45 to 50 minutes, until top is toasted.

Serve as is, with pancake syrup, maple syrup, blueberry sauce… that is up to you.

Tonight I literally chucked together the following in a non stick frypan with butter and garlic infused olive oil, until cooked:

2 chicken thigh fillets - chopped into bite sized bits
A red onion - chopped.
3 large mushrooms- chopped
250g cherry tomatoes - left whole
A tin of baby potatoes - drained and left whole
A decent drizzle of balsamic glaze,
A handful of fresh basil.

It was surprisingly good! And only took about 15 mins from wo to go!

The joys of non stick cookware.

Easy breakfast. Put a potato in the microwave. Scramble eggs in a non stick pan with ham, onions, and peppers. I add garlic powder and hot sauce. Eggs and potatoes in about 5 minutes. The pan cleans up with a sponge. I like Black Forest ham. I usually have a piece in the refrigerator.

Or, fry an egg, put on bread with ham and cheese. Much better than MacDonald's.

I guess if you can't cook eggs in a non stick pan you are in a bit of trouble:D

Do you like french toast? Have you tried one of them fancy "overnight" french toast casserole recipes that sounds real good but was so sloppy, soft, over sweet, and you wanted to turn back time to smack yourself in the face to prevent you from making something like that ever? But you still want a viable french toast casserole! I present my french toast cube recipe. It provides the french toast experience, in a casserole, with layers of soft, tender, and crispy.

French Toast Cubes

Bread

Enough fresh white bread cubes to fill a 13x9 glass dish. Cubes should float above the top of the dish, but not too high above. Cubes should be around 1 inch x 1 inch x 1 inch and it'll take about (1 to 1.5 loaves of white bread)

Mixture
5 eggs
1 3/4 cups milk
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla

Topping

Directions:
Line bottom of pan with bread cubes. So recipes for this sort of thing say to grease, but I haven't had issues of not greasing.
In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, 2 tbsp sugar, salt, and vanilla. Pour egg mixture over bread being sure to drizzle it over each piece. The cubes should not be soggy from the drizzling. The sog will be found at the bottom of the dish. Mixture should be about 1/2-inch deep. You DO NOT want to drown all of the bread. Why bother using fresh bread if you are just going to drown it?!

Serve as is, with pancake syrup, maple syrup, blueberry sauce… that is up to you.

Something similar. I like it for Christmas Day breakfast.

French Toast Cubes

Bread

Mixture
5 eggs
1 3/4 cups milk
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla

Topping

Directions:

I have two "overnight" baked french toast recipes and I certainly don't find them "sloppy, soft, and over sweet." In fact one of them is savory, using no sugar, cinnamon, or vanilla whatsoever. In my experience the bread absorbs much of the egg mixture (my recipes use more eggs and less milk than yours) and when baked they firm up. You bake until a knife comes out clean. My most popular is, as I said, savory and uses a topping of shredded cheese and sausage crumbles. Still, it goes well with syrup.

However I find the idea of the top of the bread being toasted intriguing. Do you use any particular kind of white bread? ETA: I'm not nearly the accomplished cook that you are.

I just bake a couple loaves of white bread. Nothing special in the recipe.

Back
Top Bottom