• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Share your recipes

Underseer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism, resistentialism
Holy crap, we never started a recipe thread on the new forum?

Or did I just bungle my search?

Anyway, for Christmas dinner this year, I experimented with all side dishes, and was happy with the results, so I'm sharing them here.

Garlic Dill Potatoes

Pretty much like any other garlic dill potato recipe you can find on the Internet, except roasted.

• Small red potatoes, cut into fourths or eighths depending on size.
  • Fresh garlic
  • Fresh dill
  • Salt and pepper
  • Canola oil

Toss all ingredients together. Lay out on cookie sheets and roast at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.

Scotch n' Butter Carrots

• Baby carrots
  • Onions
  • Fresh garlic
  • Butter
  • Diced pear
  • Scotch whiskey
  • Brown sugar
  • Salt and pepper
  • Shichimi togarashi or red pepper flakes

Sautee onions in a hefty amount of butter. Add garlic, then all other ingredients. Simmer/reduce in a pot until carrots reach desired texture.

Sprinkle fresh parsley for color.

Roasted Asparagus with Gruyere-Parmesan Sauce

• Asparagus
  • Onions
  • Fresh garlic
  • Roux (butter and flour)
  • Heavy cream
  • Gruyere
  • Parmesan
  • Salt & pepper
  • Olive Oil

Caramelize onions in a pot. Add fresh garlic. Then add roux, heavy cream, cheeses, and salt & pepper. Simmer until cheese melted.

Toss asparagus with olive oil, salt & pepper. Roast at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes.

Serve asparagus and cheese sauce separately. Let the guests combine the two on their plate in whatever proportions they prefer.

Caramelizing the onions was a happy accident. I got distracted because I was busy preparing the potatoes, but was really happy with the result.

Salad dressing: fresh garlic, balsamic vineagar, olive oil, and a hint of Chicago-style gairdiniera for kick.

I mention this only because this is my go-to salad dressing for low-salt salad. The balsamic vineagar and Chicago giardiniera (which usually has Serrano chile peppers in it) adds more than enough flavor to make up for the lack of salt.

Cranberry sauce

Happened to have tangerines I needed to use up, so I used them instead of the usual lemon. Used less sugar than I usually do. Really liked the results.

Put fresh cranberries in a pot. Add zest and juice from a tangerine or two (one tangerine per bag of fresh cranberries). Add water until the cranberries just barely start to lift in the pot. Add sugar to taste and simmer/reduce until thick. Once the cranberries burst, check the sour-sweet ratio to see if you need to add more sugar.

Served as a side for ham.

I make sweet potato pies in those little Keebler pie shells.

I only made this once, but it was so good I plan to make it again on special occasions. Any dish with two pounds of bacon in it is obviously going to be unhealthy, which is why I'll only make it once or twice a year, but holy shit does it taste amazing.

Serves eight

Two pounds or so of room temperature bacon

One minced onion

Four minced garlic cloves

1 tablespoon of minced fresh thyme

Four cups of grated medium aged cheddar

Five or six large unpeeled baking potatoes

Salt and pepper to taste

Parchment paper

10334387_10153710204447209_5282923812291891385_n.jpg

Bacon wrapped onion or capsicum rings. Smothered with bbq sauce and either fried or baked.

Delicious.

Holy crap, we never started a recipe thread on the new forum?

Or did I just bungle my search?

Anyway, for Christmas dinner this year, I experimented with all side dishes, and was happy with the results, so I'm sharing them here.
There is a Foodie Thread in M&PC, but that is a mix of recipes and pictures.

- - - Updated - - -

Scotch n' Butter Carrots

• Baby carrots
  • Onions
  • Fresh garlic
  • Butter
  • Diced pear
  • Scotch whiskey
  • Brown sugar
  • Salt and pepper

Sautee onions in a hefty amount of butter. Add garlic, then all other ingredients. Simmer/reduce in a pot until carrots reach desired texture.

Would you care to add a qty for the scotch whiskey?

I only made this once, but it was so good I plan to make it again on special occasions. Any dish with two pounds of bacon in it is obviously going to be unhealthy, which is why I'll only make it once or twice a year, but holy shit does it taste amazing.

Serves eight

Two pounds or so of room temperature bacon

One minced onion

Four minced garlic cloves

1 tablespoon of minced fresh thyme

Four cups of grated medium aged cheddar

Five or six large unpeeled baking potatoes

Salt and pepper to taste

Parchment paper

Wait, I didn't see him use any garlic, thyme, or onion.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a Foodie Thread in M&PC, but that is a mix of recipes and pictures.

- - - Updated - - -

Scotch n' Butter Carrots

• Baby carrots
  • Onions
  • Fresh garlic
  • Butter
  • Diced pear
  • Scotch whiskey
  • Brown sugar
  • Salt and pepper

Would you care to add a qty for the scotch whiskey?

I didn't measure. I upended the bottle and it was a couple/few glugs. Three glugs?

I used a whole stick of butter, a fairly large bag of baby carrots (from one of those warehouse stores [Costco] so I'm guessing 2-4 bags of baby carrots if you go to a normal grocery store), a single pear, a large handful of diced onion, a small handful of garlic. It didn't need very much brown sugar because the pear already added so much sweetness, but it did end up taking more salt than I expected, so taste as you cook.

Last edited:
I didn't measure. I upended the bottle and it was a couple/few glugs. Three glugs?
That works for me as a measurement.

I used a whole stick of butter, a fairly large bag of baby carrots (from one of those warehouse stores [Costco] so I'm guessing 2-4 bags of baby carrots if you go to a normal grocery store), a single pear, a large handful of diced onion, a small handful of garlic. It didn't need very much brown sugar because the pear already added so much sweetness, but it did end up taking more salt than I expected, so taste as you cook.
Maybe use molasses instead of the brown sugar? May add the flavor you are looking for a little better. A bit darker.

That works for me as a measurement.

Maybe use molasses instead of the brown sugar? May add the flavor you are looking for a little better. A bit darker.

Like I said, I didn't add very much brown sugar, so I'm not sure it would make a big difference.

It ended up having more liquid than I was expecting, so maybe molasses would be a bad idea? Isn't the main difference between molasses and brown sugar the water?

Molasses is much darker, I think, flavor wise. I understand what you were meaning. I was suggesting another ingredient option.

Ingredients:

One (1) Phone
One (1) Credit Card

1) Dial the phone, substituting the number for whichever type of restaurant serves the food you want as needed
2) Order the food from that restaurant
3) Give them your credit card number
4) Sit on couch watching TV and drinking beer until doorbell rings
5) Open door and take food from delivery guy

I've found that this recipe works for most every situation, from single meals to larger gatherings.

I put in a few cloves or bulbs of garlic when I made it. I wanted to put in at least one onion too, but my roommate I was making it for is allergic to onions. I was making it for him because he loves bacon, and I supposedly ate his last cupcake when I was drunk.

I put in a few cloves or bulbs of garlic when I made it. I wanted to put in at least one onion too, but my roommate I was making it for is allergic to onions. I was making it for him because he loves bacon, and I supposedly ate his last cupcake when I was drunk.

Ah, those were your own modifications. Kewl.

You put whole garlic cloves in there?

Ah, those were your own modifications. Kewl.

No actually I copied and pasted that straight from Michael Smiths's own website. I didn't notice he didn't add that stuff until you pointed it out. So I guess those are his own modifications since he made the video. I'll have to add in the thyme too next time.

Underseer said:
You put whole garlic cloves in there?

I think I was using the wrong terminology. I thought a clove meant a head of garlic, but the internet says it just means one of the wedges. What I meant is I might have put in a whole head of minced garlic because I love it.

Here's a recipe for Beef Stroganoff that has impressed many of my roommates and my girlfriend. It's kind of a lot of work, especially if you make your own creme fraiche, but it's very much worth it. Chef John is probably the best teacher of cooking I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom