• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Should this "Karen" be locked up for falsely accusing an innocent Black?

How would he and his father know the stranger was not a lizard creature who would pull her skin suit off and snatch the phone with her 8 foot long forked tongue?
You can play the what if game all day, but most people acknowledge defeat when they are definitively proven to be wrong.

Your scenario would fly in the face of all known evidence, while the existence of irrational people, including racists, is in fact well-documented throughout US history and into the present day.

I don't KNOW. I'm just playing the odds here and they are heavily in favor of her acknowledging the mistake once it is proven beyond reasonable doubt to be one.

Evidence? This runs against my own experience.

And just a reminder here, revealing the mistake would literally take half a second.

This assumes that the violent racist was acting in a rational manner, which she obviously was not.

Your scenario would fly in the face of all known evidence, while the existence of irrational people, including racists, is in fact well-documented throughout US history and into the present day.
Oh, I see. So my scenario was just TOO far fetched to be considered. So exactly how many far fetched scenarios do we need to consider before we can confidently decide that swiping our phone in front of a stranger is worth the effort or not? Do we need to consider the 1 in 100 scenarios? The 1 in 1000 scenarios? The 1 in 10,000 scenarios?

Evidence? This runs against my own experience.
Really in your experience when you say to your friends, "Hey, that movie you saw in the trailer a couple months ago is coming out on Friday," and they say, "No way! I heard it was delayed until next summer!" So you say, "Yeah, look at my phone. The internet says they have a midnight premier Friday night!" When this happens your friends always double down on disbelief? How sad. That is quite unfortunate. All my experience says that people are willing to accept strong evidence that their perceptions were mistaken. Your friends must really get upset when they go to a Penn and Teller show and the magicians try to tell them that they DIDN'T just catch a bullet fired from a gun with their teeth.

And just a reminder here, revealing the mistake would literally take half a second.

This assumes that the violent racist was acting in a rational manner, which she obviously was not.
Wow, "Violent racist." I love how I'm getting flack for placing my bets on disturbed but probably rational, but you are totally confident in assigning her the title of "violent racist." No room for doubt here, right? No, her behavior was completely explainable by a rational actor put in a stressful and unfamiliar situation; Especially if we allow for the fact that she may have had specific (but unknown to us) reasons to suspect the kid had her phone.

So getting back to my point: Yes, if the woman is completely irrational then proving to her that your kid doesn't have her phone will fail to convince her. But what have you lost in the attempt? You've lost half a second of effort to defuse the situation and you are back where you started. So basically nothing. You have nothing to lose and a lot to gain if the gambit works. Proving your innocence in this sort of situation is the SMART move.

Shouldn't more people try to defuse confrontations? Shouldn't the police take the time to rethink escalating dangerous situations unnecessarily? I certainly think so, and I think WE should too. Especially when it SO fucking easy like it is in this situation.

What's wrong with her facing legal & professional consequences for unacceptable behavior?

The Karen Law ! I like it.

There are already laws on the books against physical violence against other people outside of legal justification. Why not apply them? You haven't given a good reason to exempt her from the legal or social consequences for her behavior.

Women are never charged for domestic violence.

And while on the subject, the real news should be all the fake domestic charges that routinely happen during divorce. Why is all that lying socially acceptable? If a women wants the guy out she fills out an order of protection even if there was never any harm done to anyone. Why is that socially acceptable to society and wrong people accused on a routine basis? But then in this case, someone not stealing a phone is some kind of big news for this story?

Its because the media has to make the news and not report it.

If a women wants the guy out she fills out an order of protection even if there was never any harm done to anyone. Why is that socially acceptable to society and wrong people accused on a routine basis?

It would be interesting to know how routine this is, if it is. Or to put it another way, how do you know it's actually routine?

I ask, partly because I am pretty certain that this:

Women are never charged for domestic violence.

....is very incorrect.

Karen stories are not national news.

If they’re White they are; no matter how trivial. That’s the point. We’re living in a Tom Wolfe novel.

It must be horrid to be white in the U.S., constantly being persecuted like the Tutsis in Rwanda.

Is it increasingly common for U.S. whites to paint their skin black, so that they can walk the streets and run errands in safety?

It must be horrid to be white in the U.S., constantly being persecuted like the Tutsis in Rwanda.

Is it increasingly common for U.S. whites to paint their skin black, so that they can walk the streets and run errands in safety?

Why is this a national news story?

I don't think anyone should feel obligated to prove their innocence. But I do think that in this situation choosing to do so would have been simultaneously fast, easy, safe, charitable to a stranger in distress, and a self beneficial alternative to enduring the continued rude pestering of that same stranger. You lose so little, and gain so much. People have been shot dead in the streets of the US for much less.

Pretty much this.

Instead of a ridiculous altercation, she could have asked the clerk to call her phone number. If the kid's phone rang, she'd have reason to go ballistic. If not, maybe she'd have actually found her phone.
The whole thing is stupid.
Tom

Seconded.

Really! This happens every day.
It would be news if a black person called the cops on an innocent white person ... and they showed up and arrested the white person.

It would be news if a black person called the cops on an innocent white person ... and they showed up and arrested the white person.

If all involved were white or if all involved were black, the media would not care. If the boy was white and the woman black, the media would not care. But every story about this trivial event emphasizes that the boy is black and the woman is not. That’s why it’s a national story.

If all involved were white or if all involved were black, the media would not care. If the boy was white and the woman black, the media would not care. But every story about this trivial event emphasizes that the boy is black and the woman is not. That’s why it’s a national story.

I think you and Elixer are both right.

Why I think so I'll explain when I get access to a device that doesn't think it knows what I want to type more than I do.

1) Soho
2) Happened to teen of established professional
3) Pulpy Llama Drama

Don't worry, it has likely already evaporated into the ether.

I hope it has evaporated. But the problem remains.

All too many people draw their opinions about the U.S., law enforcement, and race relations from whatever videos and stories go viral. Unaccustomed as I am to agreeing with [MENTION=230]Trausti[/MENTION]; he's more right than [MENTION=236]Elixir[/MENTION];

Without the unsupported accusation of racism this would have been just another stupid misunderstanding. It wouldn't have gotten enough traction to add to the "wypepo bad, black people innocent victims" narrative. But it did.
Tom

Because the boy's father is a musician who has worked with a number of famous people.

Also, incident was caught on camera, that always helps.

...I'll explain when I get access to a device that doesn't think it knows what I want to type more than I do.

It already knows you're looking for such a device, and is taking steps to ensure that when you find it, it will know what you want to type more than you do.
Submit NOW! :D

Reactions: WAB
De Blasio on Twitter Monday called the incident "racism. Plain and simple."
Smart move dipshit. Stoke those fires, Mr. Mayor.

teen.jpg

Civil rights attorney Ben Crump accused the hotel of empowering the woman's accusations by asking Harrold's son to prove his innocence and called for charges against her.
You're an asshole. Now you're gonna get this poor manager fired for the sake of optics when all he was trying to do was take the most commonsense approach to defuse the situation.

Thinking you've lost your phone is a bogus feeling for anyone. It's probably a near panic situatiuon for a 22 year old girl. Adult trumpeter dad could have handled this better. Just show her the apps on the phone instead of being a dick and destroying this 22 year old girl with racism accusations. These were for all intents and purposes two kids with one adult between them. You could not have handled this worse, dad.

1) Soho
2) Happened to teen of established professional
3) Pulpy Llama Drama

Don't worry, it has likely already evaporated into the ether.

I hope it has evaporated. But the problem remains.

All too many people draw their opinions about the U.S., law enforcement, and race relations from whatever videos and stories go viral. Unaccustomed as I am to agreeing with [MENTION=230]Trausti[/MENTION]; he's more right than [MENTION=236]Elixir[/MENTION];

Without the unsupported accusation of racism this would have been just another stupid misunderstanding. It wouldn't have gotten enough traction to add to the "wypepo bad, black people innocent victims" narrative. But it did.
Tom

Truth told...

A large part of the problem is the number of people who rush to the defense of this women, or worse, loudly insisting that black people should bow/beg/who knows what, digging through records so they can screech about that one time a black person involved smoked weed or used a bad word, and so on. All while feverishly looking for news articles they can link to various forums, tweets, and the like.

De Blasio on Twitter Monday called the incident "racism. Plain and simple."
Smart move dipshit. Stoke those fires, Mr. Mayor.

View attachment 31036

Civil rights attorney Ben Crump accused the hotel of empowering the woman's accusations by asking Harrold's son to prove his innocence and called for charges against her.
You're an asshole. Now you're gonna get this poor manager fired for the sake of optics when all he was trying to do was take the most commonsense approach to defuse the situation.

Thinking you've lost your phone is a bogus feeling for anyone. It's probably a near panic situatiuon for a 22 year old girl. Adult trumpeter dad could have handled this better. Just show her the apps on the phone instead of being a dick and destroying this 22 year old girl with racism accusations. These were for all intents and purposes two kids with one adult between them. You could not have handled this worse, dad.

That could be a fair statement.

On the other hand, I have a 22 year old daughter. Yes, if she lost her phone in that situation (alone, away from home) she might easily panic. And I think panic is this young woman's only mitigation.

What's a little odd is that she was asking for the case to be taken off the phone. In other words, it looked different to her phone in at least some ways.

Now, it could be that the boy was the first person she saw with a phone similar to hers and that she would have reacted/panicked the same way if it had been a white boy, or, there was some implicit racial bias going on in her head. Possibly. It's not clear. It's even less clear, imo, that there was any going on in the head of the manager.

So for that reason I think the statements you quoted (from the mayor and the lawyer) are a bit ott.

Back
Top Bottom