• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Shutdown Thanksgiving in '23...Any Bets?

ideologyhunter

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism/beatnikism
What are the odds that this bunch in the House can get anything done to avert a shutdown? Or that they even want to? At this point it looks like their model is chaos so that they can chant next year that we need the mailed fist of Trump to set things right.
My odds are 10 to 1 for a great big American Turkey Paralysis Day. At least we have Pastor (er...Speaker) Mike to give us the relevant Bible verses.
And my odds are way too low.

I ponder if Israel keeps the lights on for the US Government. Israel has sucked all the air out of right-wing boondoggles regarding the budget. Speaker Johnson can try to make a show of it, but the idea of putting Israeli funding contingent on spending cuts and government staying open is a very dangerous tactic. Granted, he is a "true believer", so maybe that is what it comes down to, but I've got to imagine McConnell will be sending hired goons over to Johnson's office to manage this. McConnell doesn't want to not have the GOP take the Senate because of a lame brained n00b.

What are the odds that this bunch in the House can get anything done to avert a shutdown? Or that they even want to? At this point it looks like their model is chaos so that they can chant next year that we need the mailed fist of Trump to set things right
The sad thing is how likely this is to work. It's been part of the Trump paradigm from the start - break a federal agency, then ask "rhetorically" why everything is broken.

If they prevent a shutdown then what would have been the point in ousting McCarthy?

Even with utmost effort, sincere care, and fervent prayers, they are incapable of averting a government shutdown. A shutdown is inevitable.

Dumb asses who couldn't select a speaker without nearly a month of time, elect n00b as speaker, who seems to be suffering from the exact same issues as the previous notables.
article said:
In an effort to avert a government shutdown Saturday, House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) has opted to expedite his stopgap funding proposal for floor consideration Tuesday after it became clear Republicans could not pass it through their narrow and divisive ranks.
So Johnson is looking to pass a weird CR, but without cuts, something that Schumer seemed reluctant, but ultimately willing to manage. And the hard liners are pissed. Which again goes to show, when you are the Speaker, things change as your ass is hanging in the wind. So, the Speaker is using a rule that requires 2/3's support to pass the CR without the far-right wing of the party. That'd mean all of the Democrats and at least 1/6 of the Republicans have to vote for it. Again, the Democrats saving the day.

So how long until he gets the ax from the far right?

Mr. Johnson is learning that being in charge of the loony bin is very hard work.

how long until he gets the ax
Who cares?
The certainty is that the GOP will be putting on a show of stupidity for the foreseeable future no matter what. They’ve short-sheeted their own bed and now they have to sleep in it.

Mr. Johnson is learning that being in charge of the loony bin is very hard work.
And that if you have no leverage or clout... or anyone knows who you are at first glance... not that easy to pull weight or push an agenda. McConnell would probably look at him and pinch his cheek and say "Oh... look at how cute this little thing is. NOW PASS A CLEAN CR OR WE ARE GOING TO USE YOUR BONES TO MAKE BROTH FOR OUR SOUP!"

What are the odds that this bunch in the House can get anything done to avert a shutdown? Or that they even want to? At this point it looks like their model is chaos so that they can chant next year that we need the mailed fist of Trump to set things right.
My odds are 10 to 1 for a great big American Turkey Paralysis Day. At least we have Pastor (er...Speaker) Mike to give us the relevant Bible verses.
And my odds are way too low.
The only verse that should be relevant to any of those Christ Nazis is Matthew 19:12.

Which is to say "please do not reproduce".

Back
Top Bottom