• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Silver Lining to a Trumpidency... limiting executive power?

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism
The guy has pissed off everyone, this may be the best chance ever for congress and the courts to limit Presidential powers back to what they were 50 or 100 years ago.

Am I right about this?

The guy has pissed off everyone, this may be the best chance ever for congress and the courts to limit Presidential powers back to what they were 50 or 100 years ago.

Am I right about this?

We would have to elect the Congress we had 50 or 100 years ago.

Am I right about this?

We would have to elect the Congress we had 50 or 100 years ago.

Heh - after 4 years of a Trumpidency, I doubt that would be a problem.

Presidential power can be curtailed with respect to appointing judges. In the UK an independent Judicial Committee selects the judges. The list is given to the Lord Chancellor. If he refuses (rare) than he has to specify clearly his reasons which must be valid. This seems to work. There are no 'Tory' or 'Labour' judges.

The only silver lining to a Trumpidency is that all the hockey players in hell will start up a league.

The only silver lining to a Trumpidency is that all the hockey players in hell will start up a league.

If I interpret this accurately and it's awful, plausible deniability on your message oughtn't be regarded as plausible but merely possible--and accusations regarding the vividness of my imagination (on the heels of claims of plausible deniability) will not hold water with me ... and so, from a philosophical perspective, damn thee that regards my accuracy as a product of luck, as a deducement that couples precious logic with gut feeling via quality life experience paves way for a good chance of accurate interpretation when done so by one not merely smart.

[/alchohol induced esoteric bla bla] :)

Presidential power can be curtailed with respect to appointing judges. In the UK an independent Judicial Committee selects the judges. The list is given to the Lord Chancellor. If he refuses (rare) than he has to specify clearly his reasons which must be valid. This seems to work. There are no 'Tory' or 'Labour' judges.
Yes you tend to get idiot judges that way.

Am I right about this?
Umm, like most things, no.

Ya, that won't happen. The limits to the executive power would only happen if the legislative branch has the balls to stand up to him. There's no rational course of events where Trump wins the Presidency and the Dems win control of the House or Senate, so it would be the GOP needing to stand up to him and they have shown a complete inability to be anything but ball-licking bitches as far as Trump is concerned, so they won't do anything to limit his power.

Back
Top Bottom