• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

So...Green is the new Black now?

In the 80s I knew a guy from Libya, under Gadafi.

As he put it you could not confide in a brother out of fear of being denounced.

We are not there yet, but the media ferrets out and magnifies any speech that can be remotely interpreted as insensitive.

Being insensitive is becoming a crime.

We are not there yet, but the media ferrets out and magnifies any speech that can be remotely interpreted as insensitive.

Bullshit. Facing fully predictable consequences if the greater part of society holds you accountable for a statement =!= criminal prosecution.

We pretty much are there already but resistance is growing. These woke avengers are just dumb bullies, fuck them, they should get a life.

Bullshit. Facing fully predictable consequences if the greater part of society holds you accountable for a statement =!= criminal prosecution.

If your education or employment are at risk due to this woke inquisition, that is not much better than outright prosecution.

Even if the Soviet Union, sending somebody to the Gulag was the last resort. Demotion or termination from employment were preferred sticks to keep people in check.

Don't you support democracy? What is democracy, if not the elevation of public opinion over private opinion?

What you are describing is at best an illiberal democracy - a tyranny of a majority, where individual rights are trampled under the will of the "public".

But this is not even that - it is a tyranny of the loud minority. A stentocracy if you will.

There is tyranny of the majority like Jim Crow, and there is tyranny of the minority like PC speech enforecemnt.

The idea of a complex diverse society with free speech requires a certain amount of tolerance and insensitivity to words. The opposite would be Iran and Saudi Arabia where saying anything remotely critical of Islam and Allah can land you in jail.

India periodically erupts into violence over percved religious inslt. When the Tonigh Show showed a gaudy Hindu religious bulding in India calling it Romeny's place as a joke India went ballistic. They demnded our govt curtail free speech and tried to sue our govt.

That is what we try to avoiding by allowing wide open comedians that mock without regard to race, gender, politics, and sexual orientation.

For us we take it for granted today. I remember The Smothers Brothers TV show and the censorship on commentary. Lenny Bruce was hounded to death, literally. George Carlin on WBAI.

The new PC is taking us backwards, this time it is the left not the right.

So, I watched a leftist complain about Steven Crowder today. Crowder was doing a bit about the covid farm relief and racial quota distribution of it. It is a somewhat serious and detailed issue. But he was playing it like a skit from Kentucky Fried Movie - a decent movie for its time. I was upset about how comically unskilled, cringe inducing and dated his show was. We need fresh racism for the current generation, not for the deceased Don Rickles one.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/Cm1bwatu7Q4/

The video was removed for covid misinformation apparently.

There is tyranny of the majority like Jim Crow, and there is tyranny of the minority like PC speech enforecemnt.

The idea of a complex diverse society with free speech requires a certain amount of tolerance and insensitivity to words. The opposite would be Iran and Saudi Arabia where saying anything remotely critical of Islam and Allah can land you in jail.
But no one here is going to jail for being critical of Christ, right? So, you're being hyperbolic.
India periodically erupts into violence over percved religious inslt. When the Tonigh Show showed a gaudy Hindu religious bulding in India calling it Romeny's place as a joke India went ballistic. They demnded our govt curtail free speech and tried to sue our govt.
But no one here lost free speech, right? So, you're being hyperbolic.
That is what we try to avoiding by allowing wide open comedians that mock without regard to race, gender, politics, and sexual orientation.
which is still allowed, though you say we're headed towards "fear of being denounced." So, you're being hyperbolic.
For us we take it for granted today. I remember The Smothers Brothers TV show and the censorship on commentary. Lenny Bruce was hounded to death, literally.
No, he did not literally die of being censored. He was criticized until he died, and a little after, but not literally hounded to death. So, you're being hyperbolic.
The new PC is taking us backwards, this time it is the left not the right.
How do you figure that adding lists of people whose feelings matter is taking us backwards?
Dismisding offenses with 'just joking' and 'don't be so sensitive' is the part sticking inyo the current and producing drag.

For us we take it for granted today. I remember The Smothers Brothers TV show and the censorship on commentary.
The Smothers Brothers didn't "mock" regarding race, gender, politics. This again seems to be a failing in some people regarding jokes and comedy. There is a far difference between referencing and mocking.

Photographs often don't reveal the truth about a situation. A photo of a white man in blackface, standing next to another white man dressed as a Confederate general, yeah, that's plenty to draw a conclusion. Three kids putting on a green acne mask? Sorry, no. Unless there's evidence that they have exhibited other behavior that's considered racist, I'd be more inclined to think they're pretending to be the Hulk than anything else.

Someone who has access to the original image file can check the EXIF data to see when it was taken, if the age of the kids is a factor.

Photographs often don't reveal the truth about a situation. A photo of a white man in blackface, standing next to another white man dressed as a Confederate general, yeah, that's plenty to draw a conclusion. Three kids putting on a green acne mask? Sorry, no. Unless there's evidence that they have exhibited other behavior that's considered racist, I'd be more inclined to think they're pretending to be the Hulk than anything else.

Someone who has access to the original image file can check the EXIF data to see when it was taken, if the age of the kids is a factor.

In cases like these, you can be guaranteed absence of evidence is evidence of absence: the offense archaeologists will have dug up and forensically examined every social media post and recorded public utterance of these three boys for the telltale whiff of racism, like watching Gone With the Wind in year 4 and failing to identify how problematic it is.

In cases like these, you can be guaranteed absence of evidence is evidence of absence... <snipped>

Oh, bullshit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom