• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

So...Green is the new Black now?

The parents say it was a joke. What was the joke? Putting green stuff on ones face isn’t particularly funny, or really a joke.

Are you an alien? Perhaps, some advanced AI?

Naw. I just understand comic form. This wasn’t a ‘joke’ if they were just putting on acne facial product, maybe goofing around, but who goofs around about facial products?

I mean yeah, during the pandemic maybe. Hey games on tonight, wanna watch it? No guys, I need an acne facial product. Or are tvs not allowed at this school?

The parents say it was a joke. What was the joke? Putting green stuff on ones face isn’t particularly funny, or really a joke.

Naw. I just understand comic form. This wasn’t a ‘joke’ if they were just putting on acne facial product, maybe goofing around, but who goofs around about facial products?
yeah.
Humor requires a victim. Who's being poked at, here?
I don't see a joke. Which is not to say, i see the joke and it's not funny. I don't see a joke, either.

private schools vs. white boys

Please tell me which of those you want me to hate more, and I'll try my best.

WTF?

You created a thread about some white boys seeking millions from a private school. Either it is a meaningless singular event of no general significance, or you think it reflects something of general relevance. So, are private schools generally bad, or are white boys generally bad? Or do you want to pretend that some group that has no relation to the parties involved in this lawsuit are somehow to blame? Maybe you'd like to pretend the woke boogie man is pulling the strings?

You created a thread about some white boys seeking millions from a private school. Either it is a meaningless singular event of no general significance, or you think it reflects something of general relevance. So, are private schools generally bad, or are white boys generally bad?

Were you educated in a private school? Did it teach you anything about false binaries?

but who goofs around about facial products?

I don't know, Jimmy. Have you ever met people with interests and thoughts and feelings and a sense of humour different to your own? Or is everyone else automata?

I mean yeah, during the pandemic maybe. Hey games on tonight, wanna watch it? No guys, I need an acne facial product. Or are tvs not allowed at this school?

You're right, Jimmy. There's no humour because you cannot imagine it to be so. And, if there is no humour, that means it was a night of deliberate blackface perversion that the boys wanted permanent evidence of so that they could hurt as many people as possible and destroy their education over.

We are being too sensitive. We now have a media enforced morality and speech police who are judge, jury, and executioner.

We are being too sensitive. We now have a media enforced morality and speech police who are judge, jury, and executioner.

Nah, what you have is freedom of speech, coupled with democracy, leading to a primacy of public opinion.

There was no authority that insisted that the school act against these boys. They acted because they wanted to maintain the good opinions of their customers. If what their customers want is draconian action, then that's what they will get. The media can say what they like - the First Amendment demands it - and the school is completely at liberty to ignore any and all media. But going against public opinion will cost them business, so they have to take public opinion into account.

Don't you support democracy? What is democracy, if not the elevation of public opinion over private opinion?

Nah, what you have is freedom of speech, coupled with democracy, leading to a primacy of public opinion.

There was no authority that insisted that the school act against these boys. They acted because they wanted to maintain the good opinions of their customers. If what their customers want is draconian action, then that's what they will get. The media can say what they like - the First Amendment demands it - and the school is completely at liberty to ignore any and all media. But going against public opinion will cost them business, so they have to take public opinion into account.

Don't you support democracy? What is democracy, if not the elevation of public opinion over private opinion?

What we have is the new Colosseum that these multinational media companies with large tentacles in other businesses are using instead of letting us think about more important things.

Yeah. What teenager goofs around with other teenagers and takes pictures of it. Don't worry, your secret is safe with me.

What a sad state of affairs. Self appointed Stasi trawling teenager’s social media looking for the slightest transgression in order to destroy them forever.

What we have is the new Colosseum that these multinational media companies with large tentacles in other businesses are using instead of letting us think about more important things.

You can think about whatever you please.

If you are easily distracted, that's on you.

You're being stopped from thinking about more important things???

This incident, and the unfortunate reaction of otherwise-intelligent TFTers, demonstrate that Political Correctness in the U.S. is going way too far.

A major magazine darkens the face of O.J. Simpson in a photo, and nobody goes to prison for it? The GOP and FoxNews have done many similar things, and nobody goes to prison for it.

Yet some 14 year-old kids do a minor prank* and are kicked out of school; and, with their identities exposed, apparently driven out of town? And it wasn't even a prank: just a random selfie blown out of proportion when a 3rd- and 4th-party published it. The reason it became such a "hot" item on the 'Net was NOT because of a racist happy to display blackface, but because an "anti-racist" thought it appropriate to advertise this alleged racism:
As outrage grew [over an unrelated incident], another student, “Minor V,” according to the lawsuit, pulled the alleged blackface photo [taken YEARS earlier] off the girl’s Spotify account and uploaded it to a group chat, naming the boys and saying the image was another example of racism at the school. That student urged others to share the photo, which quickly spread via Snapchat.

If I were in charge of discipline at that school, I might treat "Minor V" as the main culprit.

Whether the medication was black or just dark green seems irrelevant to me. A kid painting his face a strange color needn't be racist at all. Should adults be careful in this "hyper-correct" society? Sure. 14 year-olds? Maybe. But forced expulsion was an excessive penalty.

Off-topic question about link in OP: How do TFTers who are not sfchronicle subscribers read the article in its entirety? The Disable-Javascript trick seems to work, as does the horrible Control-U method. Are there other ways I don't know about? (Or maybe there are 3 free articles which I'd already used up.)

Yeah. What teenager goofs around with other teenagers and takes pictures of it. Don't worry, your secret is safe with me.

With face wash?

Yes, these could be three Carlton Banks who think something as innocuous as face wash on the face is ‘funny’, but I wanted an answer to what the joke the parents said this was. They made the claim, not me. Saying it was a ‘joke’ implies ‘they meant no harm’.

Maybe they are fans of Family Guy (Season 4+), and don’t understand what “jokes” actually are.

The fact they are shirtless tells me they were doing something that they knew would require water, so they were likely testing something out or acting like Carlton Banks who were screwing around. I believe either is perfectly fine.

But I’m not sold on the premise of the photo. Which was a ‘joke’ according the parents, ‘no harm’. Of which I’m unaware of what the actual ‘joke’ is.

private schools vs. white boys

Please tell me which of those you want me to hate more, and I'll try my best.

WTF?

You created a thread about some white boys seeking millions from a private school. Either it is a meaningless singular event of no general significance, or you think it reflects something of general relevance. So, are private schools generally bad, or are white boys generally bad? Or do you want to pretend that some group that has no relation to the parties involved in this lawsuit are somehow to blame? Maybe you'd like to pretend the woke boogie man is pulling the strings?

I think it is something of general relevance, which is why I posted it. It is part of an ongoing and disturbing trend of people being "thrown under the bus" (i.e. expelled, fired, publicly shamed, etc) for minor, questionable or even non existent (which is likely this case here) racist incidents. In this situation, there was no formal investigation by the school to get to the facts of what happened. The boys were just given the choice to leave the school or get expelled with only about 4 hours between when the school saw the photos and when the leave notice was given. Don't schools teach the kids about concepts like "innocent, until proven guilty" and due process? Why not give these boys that same opportunity? Both boys' families had to leave the area and start anew. It's kind of a big deal for anyone to be forced to start over in a new place.

I also don't see that this being a private school is relevant. It could have just as easily happened in a public school. Perhaps you can explain that aspect of it. I am more curious about your admitted hatred of white boys, though. What specifically is your issue with them? There are many members on this board with white teenage sons, nephews, etc who are dying to know why someone on this supposedly enlightened board can hate them when you have never even met them.

With face wash?

Yes, these could be three Carlton Banks who think something as innocuous as face wash on the face is ‘funny’, but I wanted an answer to what the joke the parents said this was. They made the claim, not me. Saying it was a ‘joke’ implies ‘they meant no harm’.

Maybe they are fans of Family Guy (Season 4+), and don’t understand what “jokes” actually are.

The fact they are shirtless tells me they were doing something that they knew would require water, so they were likely testing something out or acting like Carlton Banks who were screwing around. I believe either is perfectly fine.

But I’m not sold on the premise of the photo. Which was a ‘joke’ according the parents, ‘no harm’. Of which I’m unaware of what the actual ‘joke’ is.

Jesus, the deliberate obtuseness is astounding here. Or maybe, it's just obtuseness.

yeah.
Humor requires a victim. Who's being poked at, here?
I don't see a joke. Which is not to say, i see the joke and it's not funny. I don't see a joke, either.

A victim? Where's the victim in a pun?

Back
Top Bottom