• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

So What Are Republicans Screaming About Now?

That's not much of a distinction. The earthly Christ only ever claimed the title of Son of Man, never the other. If Trump is claiming to be thd Son of Man, he is therefore also claiming to be the Jesus of ancient Palestine whose chosen title that was.

That's not much of a distinction. The earthly Christ only ever claimed the title of Son of Man, never the other. If Trump is claiming to be thd Son of Man, he is therefore also claiming to be the Jesus of ancient Palestine whose chosen title that was.
You don’t really think Trump has ever considered these things beyond what seems like an advantageous response to questions from the “idiot religious voter”, do you?

I'm just pointing out that the theological argument, such as it is, makes no sense. There is no meaningful difference between calling someone by one of Jesus' titles as opposed to another.

I'm just pointing out that the theological argument, such as it is, makes no sense. There is no meaningful difference between calling someone by one of Jesus' titles as opposed to another.
That doesn't seem to be what the author was claiming. I agree with you that Jeebus is said to have called himself Son of Man--that's my recollection. However, the author claims that Jeebus only used that phrasing in the third person and then goes on to say they are different people.

That doesn't seem to be what the author was claiming. I agree with you that Jeebus is said to have called himself Son of Man--that's my recollection. However, the author claims that Jeebus only used that phrasing in the third person and then goes on to say they are different people.
There's no ambiguity, though. Matthew 16:13 has Jesus saying "who are people saying that I, the Son of Man, might be?" In short, he's aware that people have been calling him other things, but he has only ever claimed one title for his own, and prefers it. The capital letters shouldn't be there, that's posturing by the translators.

2 Corinthians 11:13-14
13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

There's no ambiguity, though. Matthew 16:13 has Jesus saying "who are people saying that I, the Son of Man, might be?" In short, he's aware that people have been calling him other things, but he has only ever claimed one title for his own, and prefers it. The capital letters shouldn't be there, that's posturing by the translators.
That is consistent with my recollection. Since when have most Christians sat down, read their book independently, and engaged in critical thinking about it, though? By and large they are told what verses are important, how to interpret them, etc, the main differences being across denominations. It is interesting that the roots of Protestantism may come from independence from a hierarchy deciding proper interpretations, but they've ended up doing the same. So, it doesn't surprise me that some Christians will believe the author without checking and thinking.

It's like the example I always give like a broken record... Jeebus said to pray in a closet. How many studious Christians even know this? For the few who find out, how many are told by the higher ups that it means something it doesn't?

when have most Christians sat down, read their book independently, and engaged in critical thinking about it, though?
Indeed. The author of this book is assuming people will vaguely recall the verbiage from sermons past, and just assume that this new book knows what it's talking about, just like they assume their pastor knows what he's talking about when he bloviates about the "true meaning" of this or that passage on Sundays. People who are dispositionally apt to do their homework before believing shit someone tells them wouldn't fall into Trumpism to begin with.

People who are dispositionally apt to do their homework before believing shit someone tells them wouldn't fall into Trumpism to begin with.
Nor, indeed, into Christianity.
That depends on what you consider Christianity to be. If someone told me they were a Platonist, then elaborated by explaining that they dismiss most of Plato's writings and heavily favor empiricism over idealism, I would take their self-identification as a Platonist with a bit of a grain of salt. They might genuinely believe themselves to be Platonists, but if the slightest bit of study of Plato would disabuse them of that notion, I'm not going to take them as seriously as a I would someone who calls themselves a Platonist due to having studied (and agreed with) his principle works and ideas.

People who are dispositionally apt to do their homework before believing shit someone tells them wouldn't fall into Trumpism to begin with.
Nor, indeed, into Christianity.
That depends on what you consider Christianity to be. If someone told me they were a Platonist, then elaborated by explaining that they dismiss most of Plato's writings and heavily favor empiricism over idealism, I would take their self-identification as a Platonist with a bit of a grain of salt. They might genuinely believe themselves to be Platonists, but if the slightest bit of study of Plato would disabuse them of that notion, I'm not going to take them as seriously as a I would someone who calls themselves a Platonist due to having studied (and agreed with) his principle works and ideas.
I consider both Christianity and Platonism to be what the majority of their members reveal them to be by their actions and beliefs.

There's undoubtedly a minuscule subset of people who think themselves Christian because they have deeply studied the story of Jesus the Christ, and wish to emulate many of the ideas that character was alleged to have espoused; But there's a vast, global movement of people who are called Christians, whose membership of that movement is entirely founded in believing the self-serving bullshit of fraudsters.

Neither group has any claim to a carefully thought through basis for their choice of lifestyle. The tiny minority who carefully studied the story of Jesus are still foolishly basing their life choices on an old set of fables, and would do better to base those choices on something more modern, and more reality based.

People who are dispositionally apt to do their homework before believing shit someone tells them wouldn't fall into any religious or cult beliefs at all.

That's true whether the "someone" who is doing the telling is Trump, Jesus, Mickey Mouse, or any of the biographers of any of these characters.

Nullius in Verba, as they say at the Royal Academy.

Neither group has any claim to a carefully thought through basis for their choice of lifestyle. The tiny minority who carefully studied the story of Jesus are still foolishly basing their life choices on an old set of fables, and would do better to base those choices on something more modern, and more reality based.
Yes, thank goodness the atheist worldview has produced so many notoriously utopian societies to save us from our collective follies.

In any case, I continue to feel that belonging to a philosophical school means more if you've actually read and understood some of its corpus. It doesn't mean nothing to claim a label out of ignorance, it just doesn't mean very much.

Yes, thank goodness the atheist worldview has produced so many notoriously utopian societies to save us from our collective follies.
There's no such thing as "the atheist worldview", but even if there were, Tu Quoque would remain a logical fallacy.

Even if Christianity were the last word in goodness and morality, it would be so despite its foolish basis on a set of old fables, and not because of that basis.

Of course, Christianity is no such thing. It's just one of many half-baked efforts by humans since forever, to find a set of universal behavioural rules. The pursuit is quite possibly futile, but if it's not, it's certainly not helped by pretending that a bunch of old fables necessarily has more value than a bunch of new ones; Nor by pretending that the value of a fable rests in the identity of its originator, rather than in its content.

If "turn the other cheek" is good advice, it remains good advice whether or not it cones from Jesus, or from the Bible.

Whether or not it's good advice is dependent upon how well it fits current reality, not on its originator.
In any case, I continue to feel that belonging to a philosophical school means more if you've actually read and understood some of its corpus. It doesn't mean nothing to claim a label out of ignorance, it just doesn't mean very much.
That's certainly true.

Back
Top Bottom