• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

So when does it stop being 'PC' and start being 'Common Decency'

"Often"? I've never seen it or experienced it, and I've been a liberal since the 1960s.

The closest I've come to that sort of thing was a few vague accusations that I don't like Jews because I don't think they should be held to a different standard than everyone else in the world. But that was just rhetoric from a few people who have a really hard time thinking of Palestinians as the equal of Israelis.

Is there a link somewhere to Mr. Sowell's comment in context? I'd like to see him expand on his point and perhaps cite instances of this accusation being leveled in all seriousness. Right now his statement looks like a rather silly bit of hyperbole, probably because the quote was mined.

I think he means radical in the good way. 60 years ago blacks weren't allowed to use the same drinking fountains as whites in America. Or use the same restaurants and so on. I think he also means liberal in a good way.

Thomas Sowell is not white. He is black. I think that may be relevant. He is now a conservative. But didn't use to be. He used to be very left indeed. He just thinks that the war on racism is won now. So we can stop fighting it. For example, he is against affirmative action. He argues that affirmative action at this point will only increase racism. It used to be good. Now it is bad.
When was Thomas Sowell "very left"? I ask because when I was in graduate school over 30 years ago, Sowell was very conservative.

I think he means radical in the good way. 60 years ago blacks weren't allowed to use the same drinking fountains as whites in America. Or use the same restaurants and so on. I think he also means liberal in a good way.

Thomas Sowell is not white. He is black. I think that may be relevant. He is now a conservative. But didn't use to be. He used to be very left indeed. He just thinks that the war on racism is won now. So we can stop fighting it. For example, he is against affirmative action. He argues that affirmative action at this point will only increase racism. It used to be good. Now it is bad.
When was Thomas Sowell "very left"? I ask because when I was in graduate school over 30 years ago, Sowell was very conservative.

He claims that he was. He claims he was a Marxist. His earliest works were Marxist analysis of stuff

It depends on the specific issue in question and how it's being addressed.

Don't be an asshole = common decency.

Negative reaction to President Obama saying that (then) CA AG Kamala Harris was good looking = overly PC.

C1Ss3m0VIAEdz9D.jpg

Why does Thomas Sowell think that nowadays, believing everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards would get someone labeled a racist?

Because you will be called a racist for rejecting extra privileges for the minorities.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah. There's a lot I disagree with him on but he's spot on on this.

He claims that he was. He claims he was a Marxist. His earliest works were Marxist analysis of stuff
Thanks. I looked it up. According to him, he has not been a Marxist since he left the "decades of his 20s" which is over 50 years ago.

Please stop with your Izlamohfobya. You need a little perspective.

C1QR6ZsUsAAZtom.jpg

LOL! Good find.

Those numbers seem off.

According to official Hillary Clinton US State Dept stats there were 11,774 terrorist attacks in 2015 (I don't see 2016) and given the prevalence of muslim sounding countries and groups on the list, I'm guessing a clear majority of those are islamic.

https://www.state.gov/j/ct/rls/crt/2015/257526.htm

Let's just guess 7500 for now. Someone can refine that later. Given 16 pennies per inch, equals 192 pennies per foot, that would be 39 feet.

LOL! Good find.

Those numbers seem off.

According to official Hillary Clinton US State Dept stats there were 11,774 terrorist attacks in 2015 (I don't see 2016) and given the prevalence of muslim sounding countries and groups on the list, I'm guessing a clear majority of those are islamic.

Let's just guess 7500 for now. Someone can refine that later. Given 16 pennies per inch, equals 192 pennies per foot, that would be 39 feet.

What's 26 feet between friends? :D
Terrorists still don't kill as many people as cows, coconuts and a large number of other things that people aren't upset about.

Those numbers seem off.

Terrorists still don't kill as many people as cows, coconuts and a large number of other things that people aren't upset about.
You need to find some other menace than coconuts and cows for comparison. According to Wiki, there are an average of 150 people killed per year by coconuts. I can't find a consistent number for cows killing people but hippopotamuses kill many more and that number is about 2,900. You may go with mosquitoes... they are credited with over a million deaths/year. But then there are several nations involved in mosquito eradication programs.

You need to find some other menace than coconuts and cows for comparison. According to Wiki, there are an average of 150 people killed per year by coconuts. I can't find a consistent number for cows killing people but hippopotamuses kill many more and that number is about 2,900. You may go with mosquitoes... they are credited with over a million deaths/year. But then there are several nations involved in mosquito eradication programs.

Also there seems to be an implicit assumption that those people killed by coconuts are just 'random acts of god' as opposed to people using said coconuts to kill people (Far more likely.) In which case, people aren't killed by coconuts at all, but rather are killed by other people using coconuts. OR perhaps they really are random acts of god, I don't know because nobody specified.

well then, who gives a fuck about Dylann Roof or the guys who dragged James Byrd?!? Because more blacks die from slipping on icy sidewalk...

/sarcasm...

well then, who gives a fuck about Dylann Roof or the guys who dragged James Byrd?!? Because more blacks die from slipping on icy sidewalk...

/sarcasm...

Well I care. But that's because I also care about people in positions of power and/or authority having to answer for themselves and their crimes when they do the wrong thing, and don't want to live in a USA where citizens with rights and liberties can be gunned down by police for absolutely no good reason. It has nothing to do with blacks, actually.

Also there seems to be an implicit assumption that those people killed by coconuts are just 'random acts of god' as opposed to people using said coconuts to kill people (Far more likely.) In which case, people aren't killed by coconuts at all, but rather are killed by other people using coconuts. OR perhaps they really are random acts of god, I don't know because nobody specified.

No, the VAST majority of deaths from coconuts are people being unfortunate enough to be underneath them when they fall. Coconuts are heavy, and coconut palms are high. It's a significant hazard.

No, the VAST majority of deaths from coconuts are people being unfortunate enough to be underneath them when they fall. Coconuts are heavy, and coconut palms are high. It's a significant hazard.

Okay that's fair then. Moving on.

Those numbers seem off.

According to the Hillary Clinton State department report I linked earlier terrorists killed 28,000 people in 2015. This includes the 6900 terrorists who killed themselves.

I had no idea the coconut death toll exceeded this. Those suckers are more sinister than they look.

Hmmm, it appears we are the victim of some fake news here. Documented death by coconuts appear to be somewhat less than 1 per year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_by_coconut

I suggest the local cocophobes issue some sort of apology before the Council on American-Coconut Relations (COACOR) gets on our ass.

Back
Top Bottom