• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Soccer

DAZN looks like the way to go.

But how do both CBS and DAZN get away with the claim of "exclusive" coverage of UEFA Champions League ?

Unimas or Univision. Spanish, but in NE Ohio, the PQ for Univision is the best.

DAZN looks like the way to go.

But how do both CBS and DAZN get away with the claim of "exclusive" coverage of UEFA Champions League ?

DAZN - Canada
CBS - US

DAZN might have spanish streaming rights.

Since I am in the USA, I cannot be sure DAZN will block access from USA devices. Can't be bothered with VPN, so CBS free trial it is.

That was one of the most enjoyable games I've watched all season, where there's so much on the line and both clubs are fully motivated. The last similar match I can recall was Liverpool - Man City round one.

The better team definitely won it, Bayern looked like a well-oiled machine.

Missed it. Some idiot scheduled the final the same day/time as the rescheduled Indy 500. And for whatever reason, my recording of the Final didn't record. C'est la vie.

Pretty much went as expected. Bayern controlled most of the ball, both teams played tight defense in the first half, PSG countered and created a few good chances early on. Going into the second half it looked like either team could take it, but Bayern had gotten the lion's share of chances, so I had to believe they were going to connect eventually.

Then they did and went on to completely shut PSG down. At that point Bayern continued to press a bit for a second, which kept things interesting. PSG got somewhat close to equalizing a few times but seemed to fall apart and get desperate after Bayern's goal. That was one of the few times I'd ever seen PSG play, and I didn't notice Neymar do much at any point of the game.

Overall Bayern was the better team and it showed. They reminded me of Liverpool somewhat, a complete team that could execute on their strategy.

A goal feast in the EPL, Man Utd stuffed 1-6 by Spurs, Leicester stuffed 0-3 by West Ham and Liverpool creamed 7-2 by Aston Villa which puts Liverpool's invincibility in to touch early doors.

Three Liverpool players with Covid now. Hopefully this doesn't continue spreading, or more accurately, the existing spread of the disease isn't wider.

The Reds were blitzed 7-2 by Aston Villa after conceded a spot in the League Cup in penalties to Arsenal. As people expected, Everton and Aston Villa is atop the table of the EPL.

*spit take*

Manchester United signs Uruguay star Cavini in what is supposed to be a good deal, but you just never know with talent on Manchester United. Man CIty are siting 14th on the table with a game in hand, and a win would put them in to about 8th-ish. Manchester United? 16th, a game in hand. 2 losses to their 1 win.

We seem to have a mix of parity and 2020 in the table. Also games at home aren't quite as important. Critical calls might not be happening now without crowd interfering with the ref's judgment.

League rankings are pretty meaningless after only four matches.

Teams separated by six points or fewer this early are effectively all at the same level.

The bottom half dozen (including Man U) can reasonably be disappointed with their start; But any team with one (or fewer) defeats in four matches is doing fine.

Once they've played ten or a dozen rounds, the table will start to be a useful indicator of how they are all doing (and obviously by that point, Leeds will be in the top three) ;)

Highest average top-flight goals per game (so far) since the 1930-31 season, apparently. Those were the days when everyone just ran after the ball, you couldn't foul a goalie and there was no offside rule, never mind VAR. It will be interesting to see the results of the next round of matches.

League rankings are pretty meaningless after only four matches.

Teams separated by six points or fewer this early are effectively all at the same level.

The bottom half dozen (including Man U) can reasonably be disappointed with their start; But any team with one (or fewer) defeats in four matches is doing fine.

Once they've played ten or a dozen rounds, the table will start to be a useful indicator of how they are all doing (and obviously by that point, Leeds will be in the top three) ;)
Right around Xmas, when their collapse occurs and they don't score a single non-PK goal until Easter.

Manchester United and Liverpool propose changes to EPL.

The leading clubs in Titles say they want to reduce the EPL to 18 teams, eliminate the League Cup, Community Shield and create a playoff for the 16th place team.

They also said they'll give $250,000,000 to the EFL to help the smaller clubs deal with the Covid issues, and up front!

I can't help but notice the $250 million thing (it could be pounds), I never trust a deal where a league is willing to part with so much money up front, it means they see greater value in the changes they want.

Now yes, the League Cup isn't necessary, at least, not for the EPL. There just isn't enough time! The community shield? I don't know. Is it that big of a deal for one game?

And reducing the EPL by 2 teams frees up 4 matches from the schedule. Now, that would mean fewer games for players to help manage the existing strains of the European calendar if the clubs was doing this for altruistic reasons. But those four games... let's be real. There is a ton of money in the summer tours and European competitions.

So, just get rid of the League Cup and give the EFL some money.

Diego Maradona, dead

One of the most talented players to ever have played the game has died. Diego Maradona was a gifted player and a joy to watch at his peak.

Some great video of Maradona available on youtube;

Argentina won the WC in '86 and of course Maradona was instrumental but that era of Argentine football was chock full of talent. Argentina would go on to appear in the WC final in Italia '90. Maradona made a brief appearance in the 94 WC and scored a cracking goal against Greece. What a fantastic player he really was.

Back
Top Bottom