• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Speaker Who!

It's worth asking why this story didn't surface during this past election if it was that important.

- - - Updated - - -

Children, behave.

I know this will freak you all out, but Pelosi is the most qualified person to be speaker at this time. She's been unfairly demonized by both parties. She is the only one who has both the knowledge, the experience and the guts to do the job. Imo, if she becomes speaker again, she should start grooming a younger person who also has lots of experience and the ability to do the job. This is not the time to put someone new in the job.

The speaker needs to be someone that has the ability to negotiate with both parties and get things done. So, seriously. Who in the world, other than Pelosi, could do this job given the current climate in the country? I've heard the name Tim Ryan bounced around. I don't know enough about him, so I don't know if he'd be a good speaker. Do any of you know much about him?

And enough about her age. A lot of the same young people who say that she's too old, want whacky Bernie to run for president again, and never say a word about the fact that RBG is 85 and has no plans of retiring. Sorry, but RBG should have retired during the early part of the first or second term of Obama. Now she's becoming more frail. She says she will work until she's at least 90. Earth to Ruth. When you're 85, you never know how many years or days you have left.

She has not been much of a leader the past two years IMO. We don't know where the dems stand in a consistent coherent message. I thought her speech yesterday was not very empowering or definitive. There is no one speaking up and calling the Orange menace out on his outrageous tactics. I don't care how old she is. I just think the repubs will walk all over her.

Like so many of those who oppose Pelosi, I think you underestimate her. She held the Democrats together after the 2010 gerrymander-infused debacle that wiped out their majority. For the two short years when she was majority leader, the House actually passed some very important legislation and got a lot done. After that, all she could do was play defense while other Democrats joined circular firing squads. What is needed in the House is a leader who knows how to bring together a very diverse group of people to pass legislation and keep people working together. She will still be hampered by the fact that the Senate remains under Republican control, so we really very much need someone who knows how to strike deals.

What most folks here seem not to understand is that not everyone in Pelosi's opposition is actually trying to topple her. What many of them are doing is maneuvering for power and influence within the caucus. Pelosi knows this, and she is using that fact to slowly whittle down the opposition by shaping the power structure within her caucus. Rep. Fudge is an excellent case in point. She was one of those who led the charge, but she quickly reversed herself after meeting with Pelosi and striking a deal on her role in the next Congress. That is how leadership usually works in a legislature--through coalition-building.

All that may or may not be true, however, it doesn't answer the question as to why Fudge never had the opportunity to articulate herself as a potential speaker, instead of having to answer charges about her character. Why wasn't she engaged intellectually?

All that may or may not be true, however, it doesn't answer the question as to why Fudge never had the opportunity to articulate herself as a potential speaker, instead of having to answer charges about her character. Why wasn't she engaged intellectually?

So, your complaint is that the Dems didn't have a public, internecine war in the press as opposed to sitting down together like mature adults and hashing out their issues in private? Fudge wanted more power in the caucus in exchange for supporting Pelosi and she got it and Pelosi enhanced her image as a deal maker who can handle disparate factions within her party. It was a win-win for both of them.

So, your complaint is that the Dems didn't have a public, internecine war in the press as opposed to sitting down together like mature adults and hashing out their issues in private? Fudge wanted more power in the caucus in exchange for supporting Pelosi and she got it and Pelosi enhanced her image as a deal maker who can handle disparate factions within her party. It was a win-win for both of them.

Gulp!

Gulp!

Fair point. I retract my argument.

It's worth asking why this story didn't surface during this past election if it was that important.

- - - Updated - - -

Children, behave.

Do you honestly believe that the entire media, controlled by Pelosi, conspired to hide this story until the moment that Fudge decided to make noise about being the speaker, then they all at once pounced and took her down? Seriously?

- - - Updated - - -

Children, behave.

Do you honestly believe that the entire media, controlled by Pelosi, conspired to hide this story until the moment that Fudge decided to make noise about being the speaker, then they all at once pounced and took her down? Seriously?

Load those questions. Ask again in a less hyperbolic fashion, if you can manage it.

It wasn't an argument per se, it was a talking point.

As opposed to your detailed analysis of how everyone who didn't support your candidate was evil.

Fudge wasn't "my" candidate, and I'll never find out if she might have been. All I did was convey an observation regarding a person who had the nerve to oppose Nancy Pelosi.

I don't know if Fudge would be a better speaker, but I've now been denied the opportunity to find out.

- - - Updated - - -

Children, behave.

Load those questions. Ask again in a less hyperbolic fashion, if you can manage it.

I think that I've asked enough questions. Let me answer them for you: there is democratic control of the press. The press is far from united. And they don't take to being controlled. Tom's explanation of what happened to Fudge above is pretty plausible to me. I'm mocking you and I apologize. But I so tire of the right wing TV/Radio shock jocks promoting this crap. Have a great Turkey Day!

It wasn't an argument per se, it was a talking point.

As opposed to your detailed analysis of how everyone who didn't support your candidate was evil.

Fudge wasn't "my" candidate, and I'll never find out if she might have been. All I did was convey an observation regarding a person who had the nerve to oppose Nancy Pelosi.

I don't know if Fudge would be a better speaker, but I've now been denied the opportunity to find out.

Yes, you were denied the opportunity to find out. You weren't, however, denied this opportunity because of some kind of deep state conspiracy controlling the fake news networks, but because Pelosi and Fudge are both adults who know how to negotiate. Fudge leveraged her power to get the chairmanship of a committee and good job by her - her power played had her play her way to more power.

Yes, you were denied the opportunity to find out. You weren't, however, denied this opportunity because of some kind of deep state conspiracy controlling the fake news networks, but because Pelosi and Fudge are both adults who know how to negotiate. Fudge leveraged her power to get the chairmanship of a committee and good job by her - her power played had her play her way to more power.

The media's job is to inform us based on information critical and relevant to events. We got none of it in this case.

The media's job is to inform us based on information critical and relevant to events. We got none of it in this case.

Well, it wasn't all that important a story. Someone who had little to no chance to become speaker threw her hat into the ring for speaker and leveraged that announcement into a committee chairmanship. It's not a big deal. You can't expect the major news networks to interrupt their round-the-clock coverage of the atrocities in Yemen for something like that.

Well, it wasn't all that important a story. Someone who had little to no chance to become speaker threw her hat into the ring for speaker and leveraged that announcement into a committee chairmanship. It's not a big deal. You can't expect the major news networks to interrupt their round-the-clock coverage of the atrocities in Yemen for something like that.

So instead of cycling through the same stories over and over, room could not have been made? Nah! Nancy Pelosi appears to be the choice of the corporate media. The question is why. The answers might be totally legitimate. At least give us the respect of being honest about it.

There was also probably some serious pushback from Jim Clyburn's supporters in the Congressional Black Caucus. He is the third ranking Democrat in the House. Fudge was trying to use that caucus as her base of support.

Back
Top Bottom