• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Special Counsel investigation of Trump part 2

Read the Trump indictment - POLITICO - has the full text of the indictment. It has
Count 1: 18 U.S.C. § 371 (Conspiracy to Defraud the United States)

Count 2: 18 U.S.C. § 1512(k) (Conspiracy to Obstruct an Official Proceeding)

Count 3: 18 U.S.C. §§ 1512(c)(2), 2 (Obstruction of and Attempt to Obstruct an Official Proceeding)

Count 4: 18 U.S.C. § 241 (Conspiracy Against Rights)
and notes six co-conspirators without naming them.
a. Co-Conspirator 1, an attorney who was willing to spread knowingly false claims and pursue strategies that the Defendant's 2020 re-election campaign attorneys would not.

b. Co-Conspirator 2, an attorney who devised and attempted to implement a strategy to leverage the Vice President's ceremonial role overseeing the certification proceeding to obstruct the certification of the presidential election.

c. Co-Conspirator 3, an attorney whose unfounded claims of election fraud the Defendant privately acknowledged to others sounded "crazy." Nonetheless, the Defendant embraced and publicly amplified Co-Conspirator 3's disinformation.

d. Co-Conspirator 4, a Justice Department official who worked on civil matters and who, with the Defendant, attempted to use the Justice Department to open sham election crime investigations and influence state legislatures with knowingly false claims of election fraud.

e. Co-Conspirator 5, an attorney who assisted in devising and attempting to implement a plan to submit fraudulent slates of presidential electors to obstruct the certification proceeding.

f. Co-Conspirator 6, political consultant who helped implement a plan to submit fraudulent slates of presidential electors to obstruct the certification proceeding.
Who are they?

The average number of felony charges per president is 2.

Probably my first political memory was watching Nixon resign on live TV. I didn't really grasp what was going on. I was two days shy of turning 9 years old. But I remember asking who he was, and why it seemed like he was about to cry.

That's the thing that still gets me. Richard M. Nixon was a lot of things. A genius, a crook. a racist, an egomaniac, and an all around terrible person, but...

I think he was at his core, a patriot. From the "you won't have Dick Nixon to kick around anymore" speech until the moment he boarded the helicopter at the end, he really thought he was doing the best for the country. His misguided patriotism led him to believe that he was the only person who could do what was best for the country, and - being the crook that he was - figured that the ends justified the means. He almost broke down and cried that August day in 1974 because that was the hardest thing he'd ever had to do. To accept that the country he loved with all his heart didn't need him anymore.

At the end of his life, I remember watching an interview he did. He was still plugged in. He was using his position as an ex President to stay in the loop. To get briefings. To go over intelligence that was available to him. I got the sense that he was saying "put me in, coach." He felt he still had something to contribute. He wanted to serve again. I almost felt sorry for him.

Trump? Well...we're seeing this play out. He's going to live out the rest of his life insisting that he won, and that everyone loved him. Donald J. Trump doesn't have a fraction of the self awareness of Richard M. Nixon. And that's sad for our country.

I always felt somehwat sorry for Nixon, too. He was a deeply conflicted man with both noble and base impulses. Utlimately he succumbed to the latter. Lincoln said, “Any man can stand adversity. If you want to test a man’s character, give him power.”

The footage, which was obtained by MSNBC having been captured by Danish filmmaker Christoffer Guldbrandsen for his documentary A Storm Foretold, shows Stone dictating to an associate a plan to install a group of electors who "accurately reflect" that Trump had won in states where the results had been "illegally" denied to him "through fraud." The clip of Stone discussing ways to overturn the election results was recorded on November 5, 2020, two days before Biden was declared the winner.

MSNBC's Chief Legal Correspondent Ari Melber said the footage disproves the suggestions from Trump and his aides that the plan to overturn the election results was based on a "good faith belief they had won," as Stone was already discussing a plot to install fake electors to falsely name the former president as the winner in several key states before Biden had even won the last election. Stone also discussed the need to "lobby" Republican figures to support the plan. Newsweek link

Probably my first political memory was watching Nixon resign on live TV. I didn't really grasp what was going on. I was two days shy of turning 9 years old. But I remember asking who he was, and why it seemed like he was about to cry.
Felony charges against Nixon: Zero.

Felony charges against Nixon: Zero.
Somehow though, Nixon got a pardon from his successor, VP Ford.

I think Ford did the right thing, all things considered. But not a good precedent to set.
Tom

PREDICTION:
If Trump is not on the ballot for the general election, then he will receive the most write-in votes of any candidate in any election, ever.
I made this prediction weeks ago. There are just too many negatives for the Republican party.

I am now betting on a disgruntled MAGA loon coming to the conclusion that Trump was a traitor all along and taking matters into his own hands.

There is nothing more dangerous than a TRUE BELIEVER that has been betrayed

PREDICTION:
If Trump is not on the ballot for the general election, then he will receive the most write-in votes of any candidate in any election, ever.
I made this prediction weeks ago. There are just too many negatives for the Republican party.

I am now betting on a disgruntled MAGA loon coming to the conclusion that Trump was a traitor all along and taking matters into his own hands.

There is nothing more dangerous than a TRUE BELIEVER that has been betrayed
Hopefully he lasts long enough to lose one more election. Had they not assented to creating the whole fake Barbie/Trumpworld, the GOP could just pick someone else. But now they’re pretty much screwed if they can’t come up with a better coup attempt. Some loon taking out the Dems’ best hope for a unified government would be a terrible thing for the Democrats, and would solve a lot of GOP’s problems.

Last edited:
All bets are now off?

Judge Aileen Cannon’s intrusive and unjustifiable reign over the Justice Department’s criminal investigation into Donald Trump is over.

On Thursday, the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that Cannon had no jurisdiction to hear Trump’s complaint in the first place. Its decision means that Cannon’s orders are void, and everything she had done—including the appointment and oversight of a special master—must be undone. The special master must be dismissed, and Cannon must relinquish all control over this dispute. Any other outcome, the court explained, would constitute “a radical reordering of our caselaw” that violates “bedrock separation-of-powers limitations.”

All bets are now off?

Judge Aileen Cannon’s intrusive and unjustifiable reign over the Justice Department’s criminal investigation into Donald Trump is over.

On Thursday, the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that Cannon had no jurisdiction to hear Trump’s complaint in the first place. Its decision means that Cannon’s orders are void, and everything she had done—including the appointment and oversight of a special master—must be undone. The special master must be dismissed, and Cannon must relinquish all control over this dispute. Any other outcome, the court explained, would constitute “a radical reordering of our caselaw” that violates “bedrock separation-of-powers limitations.”

That's from December of last year.

All bets are now off?

That's from December of last year.
Yeah, that was the decision that should have gotten Cannon the cannon from her bench.

The footage, which was obtained by MSNBC having been captured by Danish filmmaker Christoffer Guldbrandsen for his documentary A Storm Foretold, shows Stone dictating to an associate a plan to install a group of electors who "accurately reflect" that Trump had won in states where the results had been "illegally" denied to him "through fraud." The clip of Stone discussing ways to overturn the election results was recorded on November 5, 2020, two days before Biden was declared the winner.

MSNBC's Chief Legal Correspondent Ari Melber said the footage disproves the suggestions from Trump and his aides that the plan to overturn the election results was based on a "good faith belief they had won," as Stone was already discussing a plot to install fake electors to falsely name the former president as the winner in several key states before Biden had even won the last election. Stone also discussed the need to "lobby" Republican figures to support the plan. Newsweek link

The weird thing about this to me is that the person filming seems pretty obvious about it, unless this was a hidden camera. And Stone just doesn't seem to care. I'd say it was staged, but the narcissism and arrogance of these assholes makes it believable.

I'm seeing reports that Meadows has flipped. Nothing concrete yet.

I'm seeing reports that Meadows has flipped. Nothing concrete yet.
Color me skeptical. To get any kind of deal from Jack Smith he’d have to plead guilty to something, and there’s no indication that he has done that. He is also indicted in the RICO case, so any deal he has with Smith isn’t covering him in Atlanta …

Mark Meadows Might Have Just Thrown Donald Trump Under the Bus

Donald Trump's ex-chief of staff, Mark Meadows, may have struck a major blow to the former president's defense in the federal classified documents case after reportedly telling investigators he couldn't recall Trump ever attempting to declassify sensitive materials before he left office.

Meadows is alleged to have told Special Counsel Jack Smith's office that he had no knowledge of Trump even talking about declassifying sensitive documents before he left office in January 2021, nor was he aware of any "standing order" from the former president authorizing the automatic declassification of such materials removed from the White House, ABC News reported, citing unnamed sources.

Trump has pleaded not guilty to 40 charges over allegations he illegally retained classified documents after he was no longer president, then attempted to obstruct the federal investigation to retrieve them.

Three Georgia Republicans who falsely claimed to be electors for Donald Trump — and are now charged alongside him in a sprawling racketeering indictment brought by local prosecutors — say they took the steps they did because Trump, then the sitting president, told them to.

In a series of court filings this week, those false electors, who became part of Trump’s last-ditch bid to subvert the 2020 election, said it was Trump and his campaign lawyers who urged them to sign the false documents, claiming they were necessary to preserve Trump’s flailing court efforts to reverse his defeat to Joe Biden. That exhortation from Trump’s campaign lawyers, they said, amounted to federal government permission to take the actions they did.

Trump is fucked.

Back
Top Bottom