• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Sri Lanka Easter teracts

The dead are Christians. White Western males cannot be blamed. Hence, silence.

57904636.jpg

WTF? It's literally on every news channel; And you are here talking about it. What 'silence'??

Given the history of the country, the likely culprits are BBS or similar - Buddhist nationalists.
No, they say it's local islamists. Buddhists are 70% majority, so no need to be nationalists.

WTF? It's literally on every news channel; And you are here talking about it. What 'silence'??

Given the history of the country, the likely culprits are BBS or similar - Buddhist nationalists.
No, they say it's local islamists.
Who the fuck are 'they', and why would I take their word for it?
Buddhists are 70% majority, so no need to be nationalists.

Germans were an overwhelming majority in the Third Reich, and that didn't stop them from being nationalists for even an instant.

The Sinhalese Buddhist majority in Sri Lanka have included violent terrorist arseholes for decades.

The vast majority of Sri Lankan violence has been between the majority Sinhalese and one or more of the Muslim, Christian or Hindu minority groups, rather than between the various minorities (who usually have more to worry about than each other).

This is all speculation as far as I know - the authorities haven't named any suspects (and if the perpetrators are Sinhalese, may never do so), and no groups that I am aware of have claimed responsibility.

At this point, there is insufficient information as to the motivations or affiliations of the terrorists. Given the history of Sri Lanka - as bilby points out - there is no rational reason to jump to the conclusion at this point that 1) the terrorists are Muslims or Islamists, or 2) this is an attack on Christians.

No, they say it's local islamists.
Who the fuck are 'they', and why would I take their word for it?
The government, arrested bunch of people and name of at least one suicide bomber is known.
Buddhists are 70% majority, so no need to be nationalists.

Germans were an overwhelming majority in the Third Reich, and that didn't stop them from being nationalists for even an instant.
Nowdays nationalists it's usually a minority trying to get independence or power.
The Sinhalese Buddhist majority in Sri Lanka have included violent terrorist arseholes for decades.

The vast majority of Sri Lankan violence has been between the majority Sinhalese and one or more of the Muslim, Christian or Hindu minority groups, rather than between the various minorities (who usually have more to worry about than each other).

This is all speculation as far as I know - the authorities haven't named any suspects (and if the perpetrators are Sinhalese, may never do so), and no groups that I am aware of have claimed responsibility.
Interesting but in this case it's islamists.

The NY Times reports (https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/22/world/asia/sri-lanka-bombing-explosion.html):
The government on Monday blamed a little-known radical Islamist group for the devastating Easter Sunday suicide bombings that killed nearly 300 people. Officials said the group, which had not carried out any serious attacks before, had received help from an international terrorist organization.

• Sri Lanka’s security forces were warned at least 10 days before the bombings that the militant group was planning attacks against churches, but apparently took no action against it, indicating a catastrophic intelligence failure. Top government officials say the warning never reached them.

Sure, some people are saying it's muslims now, but when the facts adjust themselves to my worldview the brunch bombing will have been done by Trump supporting conservatives trying to kill brunch-eating hipster progressives.

Why did ABC and Obama and Clinton call the people bombed "Easter Worshippers" and not Christians?

There is not another reason? Is it even possible?

I am an atheist, so when there is a bombing during Ramadan please make sure to call the dead Ramadan Worshippers.

Why did ABC and Obama and Clinton call the people bombed "Easter Worshippers" and not Christians?

Because they are not as ignorant as you and realize not all Christians worship Easter last weekend.

Logic fail. "all Christians do not worship Easter yesterday" not equal "those worshipping Easter yesterday weren't Christians"

Then clearly they did it because they all hate Christians. That makes more sense.

Sure, some people are saying it's muslims now, but when the facts adjust themselves to my worldview the brunch bombing will have been done by Trump supporting conservatives trying to kill brunch-eating hipster progressives.

What's disgusting is that this is your first thought when learning about the deaths of 200 innocent people.

What's disgusting is that this is your first thought when learning about the deaths of 200 innocent people.

Correction: it was my first thought upon reading the bullshit people posted here about it.

I did not learn about this incident in this thread.

Sri Lanka blames local Islamist extremist group for Easter bombings that killed 290

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka — Sri Lanka on Monday accused a local Islamist extremist group, the National Thowheed Jamaath, of being behind a string of Easter bombings at churches and hotels that killed at least 290 people. Health Minister Rajitha Senaratne said the group, whose name roughly translates to National Monotheism Organization, perpetrated the attacks using suicide bombers at three churches and three hotels. He added that a foreign network was probably involved.

(Now that our local Trump-obsessed right wingers have gotten their points out, maybe we can have a discussion that doesn't make it all about American politics? Just a thought.)

These attacks were carried out with suicide bombings, so it looks like religious fanaticism was the main motivation for them. Christians were the major target here. Islamic extremists tend to see Christians as polytheists because of their concept of the Trinity--three gods in one--so it makes sense that a group called the "National Monotheism Organization" targeted them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom