• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Star Trek Discovery?

Fair points, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it "generic space war bullshit show #915". I'd say it's at least #13, or maybe #6. Point being, there aren't that many scifi space shows out there to begin with, and even if it isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, it stands up fairly well in its own genre regardless. The third episode wasn't that interesting story-wise, but it did introduce the characters and the ship finally. What is untreklike is that we as the audience still don't know entirely what's going on, but have to speculate as to the captain's motives. The crew are keeping secrets from each other and generally not working together towards a same goal, as much as they are each there for their own personal agendas. Now sure, the story arc for the season may be how they discover the power of friendship, but that's not what any of the previous Star Trek series have been about.

Nevertheless, we're three episodes in, and it still feels like we haven't finished the pilot episode and moved on to the actual series. There better be a payoff, or this could end up falling flatter than Doctor Who.

We watched the 3rd episode this evening. The kids liked it. I didn't. Not star trek at all. No likeable charachers except perhaps the ensign room mate. A lot of the characters were dinks.

I expect that because the kids like it we will watch every episode but so far I don't like it.

Possibly he looked as weird to other animals in their form, and we simply couldn't appreciate that.
#notalltalerianbatslookalike

- - - Updated - - -

Fair points, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it "generic space war bullshit show #915". I'd say it's at least #13, or maybe #6. Point being, there aren't that many scifi space shows out there to begin with, and even if it isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, it stands up fairly well in its own genre regardless. The third episode wasn't that interesting story-wise, but it did introduce the characters and the ship finally. What is untreklike is that we as the audience still don't know entirely what's going on, but have to speculate as to the captain's motives. The crew are keeping secrets from each other and generally not working together towards a same goal, as much as they are each there for their own personal agendas. Now sure, the story arc for the season may be how they discover the power of friendship, but that's not what any of the previous Star Trek series have been about.

Nevertheless, we're three episodes in, and it still feels like we haven't finished the pilot episode and moved on to the actual series. There better be a payoff, or this could end up falling flatter than Doctor Who.
Seems to be the trouble, is that with the pay to watch model, they need to hook the viewer immediately. There is no time to get people on board with a well developed beginning.

I have Direct TV, and I set Discovery to record when it first aired through the channel guide. Unfortunately (maybe not) instead of the scheduled program getting recorded, some stupid Oprah show recorded instead. I looked for a re-airing to record, but there are none. I then discovered that the series was going to be Pay-per-view or some similar model where they think they can get more money for it. So, I will not be watching it.

I also watched a critique of the series, and was extremely disappointed in the "re-imagining" of the Klingons. I expected a tie-in to the Klingon mutagenic virus that was the plot device for the TOS -> TNG changes, but alas, no such effort was put into it. They are just different because they think they can be. IT would have been trivially easy to write in a simple tie-in.. .the groundwork was already laid.

So, originally I was disappointed that Direct TV scammed me by misrepresenting the scheduling / recording capability... but then became aware that they actually did me a favor and saved me some otherwise wasted time.

Get a streaming box for 60 bucks and be done with it.

So, originally I was disappointed that Direct TV scammed me by misrepresenting the scheduling / recording capability... but then became aware that they actually did me a favor and saved me some otherwise wasted time.

The first airing of the first episode was available through "regular" CBS programming for anyone to see. From the second episode one needs to subscribe to CBS All Access, CBS's own streaming product. It's $5.99 per month with commercials. I suspect that your Direct TV showed you the first episode in their guide but no longer because it's not available there any more.

The first airing of the first episode was available through "regular" CBS programming for anyone to see. From the second episode one needs to subscribe to CBS All Access, CBS's own streaming product. It's $5.99 per month with commercials. I suspect that your Direct TV showed you the first episode in their guide but no longer because it's not available there any more.

No, it was the original airing of the show that was supposed to be on that failed to record. You record the shows it says is on.. it's not a "set time and channel" thing... its a "record this show you say is on" thing... yet, it recorded something else. The same thing has been happening with my Bill Maher recordings.. it was a "season recording" where it is supposed to automatically record any new 'episode'... It just stopped recording them at some point recently. the issue is with Direct TV's channel guide simply having incorrect information (or a scheme by Direct TV to manipulate what their viewers watch). A little extra paranoia here: Youtube has mysteriously decided that whenever it is going to have a problem streaming a video to me, it is when I am trying to watch a clip from Bill Maher... not that I watch a lot of them (well, I have been missing the show lately, so that is how I catch up). "funny" , that.

No, it was the original airing of the show that was supposed to be on that failed to record. You record the shows it says is on.. it's not a "set time and channel" thing... its a "record this show you say is on" thing... yet, it recorded something else. The same thing has been happening with my Bill Maher recordings.. it was a "season recording" where it is supposed to automatically record any new 'episode'... It just stopped recording them at some point recently. the issue is with Direct TV's channel guide simply having incorrect information (or a scheme by Direct TV to manipulate what their viewers watch). A little extra paranoia here: Youtube has mysteriously decided that whenever it is going to have a problem streaming a video to me, it is when I am trying to watch a clip from Bill Maher... not that I watch a lot of them (well, I have been missing the show lately, so that is how I catch up). "funny" , that.

The problem with the first episode of Discovery, for those who set a DVR to record it, was that the NFL game that day went over time, which pushed 60 Minutes back about 30 minutes, and since 60 Minutes directly preceded Discovery, that showing was delayed as well. DirecTV sets their Guide schedule about two weeks in advance, and the guide is not adjusted in real time. Had there been a service interruption, like from a storm or something, the DVR would have picked that up, and recorded the next showing later that night (if CBS did another showing that night), but it isn't smart enough to know that the previous shows went over, so you got stuck with a partial recording. Luckily, I was watching the NFL games, so I was aware of the delay, and the wife and I watched Discovery in real time.

The problem with the first episode of Discovery, for those who set a DVR to record it, was that the NFL game that day went over time, which pushed 60 Minutes back about 30 minutes, and since 60 Minutes directly preceded Discovery, that showing was delayed as well. DirecTV sets their Guide schedule about two weeks in advance, and the guide is not adjusted in real time. Had there been a service interruption, like from a storm or something, the DVR would have picked that up, and recorded the next showing later that night (if CBS did another showing that night), but it isn't smart enough to know that the previous shows went over, so you got stuck with a partial recording. Luckily, I was watching the NFL games, so I was aware of the delay, and the wife and I watched Discovery in real time.

That definitely explains it. Thank you.

What I have learned from Discovery so far: A starship with two non-white women as the top ranking officers is going to end up in bad trouble, no matter how well intentioned. The disaster will be not just for the leaders and the starship, though it will bne mush harsher that the unfortunate consequences that follow white female Captain Janeway's earlier/ later bungling on Voyager. No, these particular two female leaders will incompetently bring down a dangerous war that threatens the whole Federation..
Further, I have learned that a white male captain, no matter how apparently skeezy, will probably provide sufficient mentoring to rehabilitate, with male Vulcan backup, the surviving, disgraced female former officer[/I][/I][/I]r[/I]
Gene Roddenberry's spirit burns on brightly.

I'm surprised at the lack of right wingnuts complaining about the presence of non-male and non-white characters. I expected more whining from the fragile snowflakes.

I liked what I saw of episode 1, but I'm just not sure I want to buy a new subscription for just one show.

Seems that they went with darker and more complex version of everything.
My only real complain is about pronunciation, it's hard to get what they are saying sometimes, specifically captain Lorca. And last name "Lorca" suggests to me that he will end up being a bad guy.

Last edited:
Well, right-wingers with a taste for Franco, might see "Lorca" as a name portending no good.

I've watched the last two episodes, and I'll keep watching it for awhile anyway. I want to see how it evolves. So far, it seems a lot like the Star Trek reboot, despite them saying it's not. I hated TNG when it started as I recall and I definitely changed my mind about that. I liked DS9 the best, I think, and unlike many, I ended up liking Voyager too. To me, Enterprise was the weakest link in the chain. Personally, I'm tired of the series going backward. Let's move forward again.

I've watched the last two episodes, and I'll keep watching it for awhile anyway. I want to see how it evolves. So far, it seems a lot like the Star Trek reboot, despite them saying it's not. I hated TNG when it started as I recall and I definitely changed my mind about that. I liked DS9 the best, I think, and unlike many, I ended up liking Voyager too. To me, Enterprise was the weakest link in the chain. Personally, I'm tired of the series going backward. Let's move forward again.
Hitler kind of had the same take on the show...

[YOUTUBE]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u-2wYg-BDt0[/YOUTUBE]

Hitler kind of had the same take on the show...

[YOUTUBE]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u-2wYg-BDt0[/YOUTUBE]
This is nothing but American war propaganda. Hitler lives in Germany, so he can watch it on Netflix.

As if that many people would think that Enterprise was that good.

Ok, after the fourth episode I think it's fair to cast judgment finally: not good enough. I can kind of appreciate the message of the episode, and the fact that they killed off a fan favourite character, but it's just too clichéd to stand out. And there is enough material to extrapolate that the rest of the series is likely going to be more of the same.

Anyone else reminded of the Star Wars Holiday Special, that started with about 20 minutes of wookie bleating and no other dialogue whatsoever? That's basically all the Klingon scenes from Discovery.

We watched the 4th episode tonight. Maybe it's an Ok sifi show but it's not Star Trek. The spinning saucer section killed it tonight. The characters continue to be unlikeable. With the exception of the ensign and that strange alian who are both boring, the rest are dinks. I see no continuity with any trek timeline except perhaps parallels to the worst trek movie ever made. Into Darkness. That wan't trek either.

The kids liked it and I'm surprised.

Where is Rick Berman when he's needed most?

Back
Top Bottom