• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Stephen Breyer to retire at the end of this court session.

Derec, can you point to your complaints when Trump promised to nominate a woman as a justice?
I don't think I have. First of all, Trump did not make that promise ahead of time like Biden. He did it after RBG died. Can you imagine the outrage had he nominated a man to replace her? So I can kind of understand why he had to do it even if I think it was the wrong thing to do.
Lastly, I voted for Biden, and have not voted for Trump. So I feel more of a need to criticize him, especially since Trump is so widely hated on here and I am not much of an echo chamber guy.

Dems though have nominated three women in a row to the high court. After Breyer, there will be no white men nominated by Democrats left on the court. Talk about lack of representation!

So, that's a no then.

By the standards of present-day right-wing Republicans, Abraham Lincoln was a RINO.
  • Raising taxes
  • Aggression against the south
  • Freeing the slaves -- theft by redefinition
Opposition to slavery was the entire point of the Republican party. Freeing slaves isn't theft -- it's returning stolen property to its rightful owner. Enslaving someone is theft. Present-day right-wing Republicans aren't in favor of slavery; that's just something left-wingers tell themselves in order to feel superior to them. It's a little disturbing that they need to embellish in order to feel superior, given how awful what present-day right-wing Republicans really do stand for is.

• Homestead Act -- free stuff
  • Land-grant colleges -- free stuff
  • The Transcontinental Railroad -- free stuff and crony capitalism
Crony capitalism isn't RINO; it's straight-up R.

...But zero outrage that Trump openly stated he would replace Ginsberg with another woman.

Why?

That's a great question. My take: For the most part being conservative is based on maintaining power structures: The Church, Patriarchy, Whiteness, our Corporate Overlords.
Or maybe it's because most people regardless of persuasion only criticize the opposition.

I don't know what kind of man would rather have a man put a finger up his ass than a woman.
Really?
I find that hard to believe.

But I'll be happy to explain it to you. In great detail, including smells and tastes.

Tom

Ok, we need to stop this derail and get back on topic, it's getting out of hand. *rimshot*
You're so making me wanna explain rimshot.

But I'm a nice person, so I'll leave you to your imagination.
Tom

Ok, we need to stop this derail and get back on topic, it's getting out of hand. *rimshot*

Tom

Is not

Tom

Is not

I don't consider dictionaries to be Holy Writ.
What's your point?
Tom

I see you edited your post after I quoted it.
Doesn't matter.
Tom

Can we have just one thread about prospective SCOTUS nominations that doesn't get into sexual content?! Is that too much to ask?!

:D

Tom

Is not

I don't consider dictionaries to be Holy Writ.
What's your point?
Tom

I see you edited your post after I quoted it.
Doesn't matter.
Tom
I'm just trying to help you differentiate between two commonly confused terms. It could come in handyl

Please. You really do not want to be less cool than me.

If we keep this up the mods will be justified in advising we get a room and my sexual preference agrees that we should stop.
It's because I'm white isn't it.

Notice the lack of a question mark.
Tom

~I'm a little drunk and weather bound due to several inches of snow on top of a thick layer of ice.~

Can we have just one thread about prospective SCOTUS nominations that doesn't get into sexual content?! Is that too much to ask?!

:D

But...
I'm here to deliver such a deep and thorough understanding that penetrating insights squirt out your nose.

It occurs to me that the worst thing for the Democrats is if the Republicans don't fight this at all. They have a ready-made excuse for doing nothing even, that being that this doesn't change the balance of the court in any way.

If the Republicans go to the Senate confirmation hearings, ask a few basic procedural questions, then vote to confirm, that will totally undermine the upcoming attempt to say "see these Republicans were all opposed to a black woman".

Kind of like how every time I said I was not opposed to a black woman being nominated, the same poster QUOTED me saying that and then accused me of not answering.

I don't see the ambiguity. I think he meant that Democrats considered southern Democrats to be their "property"--like slaves were property of plantation owners--and that they left the "plantation" to become Republicans. They gained their freedom. ... And his remark about "Uncle Toms", although a bit muddled, was also meant to convey the impression that these defectors were being treated as members of a minority race that had betrayed their own people. Maybe that wasn't the impression that Jason intended, but I find it hard to interpret his remarks in any other way. Of course, he is free to clarify what he meant.
I should add, by the way, that your theory of what Jason meant is pretty implausible; I'm surprised the other way to interpret his remarks didn't occur to you. Jason appears to have meant that Democrats consider black people to be their property.
More like the Democratic Party considers the votes of minorities to be property of the Democratic Party, which is why they get so angry when a minority doesn't fall into line and obediently deliver the vote. Those who dare to actually rise to prominence in other parties are subject to all sorts of racist abuse, always accusing them of being "white on the inside".
Actually I sometimes think both the GOP and the Dems are working against their own best interests: the GOP is so very anti-immigration yet many of the immigrant groups are actually pretty conservative.

Last edited:
Dems though have nominated three women in a row to the high court.

Really? I must have been asleep. The last Dem nominee I recall was Merrick Garland, who was denied a hearing because … Republicans cheat.
Oopsie!

Hold on! ... Maybe Derec knows something about Merrick Garland that we don't know.
Besides, we got the drunken rapist instead, so who's complaining?

Back
Top Bottom