• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Split Stoves, Ovens, And Parties, Oh My. Split from The Race For 2024

To notify a split thread.
Of course, we would use the "stove" occasionally, and I understood that restaurants usually had separate stoves and ovens hidden in the back kitchen, but it had never occurred to me that I ought to divide the different cooking functions into different object names.
My parents' old house had a separate range and oven. I guess the point was that the oven was at a nice working height and you did not have to bend down to take that roast out. So evidently, you can get them like that for residential use as well, not just for restaurants.
Yeah, we bought an old house with a kitchen circa 1960 or so that had a cooktop plus double ovens. Double ovens were useful enough that when we renovated the kitchen, we got a new cooktop and separate double ovens. It’s less needed now that the kids are grown and flown but it does come in handy near holidays.

It’s a somewhat more expensive option and you need to have the space for both.

Then they would not have the few hundred dollars to fix the manual windows either.

Bullshit.
I drive my cars until they roll over dead generally.
The only time I had a problem with a manual window was in a 15 year old Mitsubishi. Somebody leaned on a not quite rolled down window hard enough to break something.

Doug and I took off the door panel, propped up the glass with a stick, went to the auto store with the broken gear. We had to wait 2 whole days for delivery of a small plastic part, pay a ridiculous amount($25) put it in, and then it was fine.
Tom
Specialized plastic parts are outrageous—and even more so with medical equipment t…

Then they would not have the few hundred dollars to fix the manual windows either.

Bullshit.
I drive my cars until they roll over dead generally.
The only time I had a problem with a manual window was in a 15 year old Mitsubishi. Somebody leaned on a not quite rolled down window hard enough to break something.

Doug and I took off the door panel, propped up the glass with a stick, went to the auto store with the broken gear. We had to wait 2 whole days for delivery of a small plastic part, pay a ridiculous amount($25) put it in, and then it was fine.
Tom
Specialized plastic parts are outrageous—and even more so with medical equipment t…
The future for 3d printers is bright.

Of course, we would use the "stove" occasionally, and I understood that restaurants usually had separate stoves and ovens hidden in the back kitchen, but it had never occurred to me that I ought to divide the different cooking functions into different object names.
My parents' old house had a separate range and oven. I guess the point was that the oven was at a nice working height and you did not have to bend down to take that roast out. So evidently, you can get them like that for residential use as well, not just for restaurants.
Definitely. I have seen many a floorplan where ovens were placed in some form of tall cabinet. Since I was normally looking at it from a top-down view I rarely noticed whether they were the regular single-oven versions or the double-oven version. They were normally in larger kitchens, probably higher-end houses but I almost always saw abstract kitchens, not the houses they were part of.

Definitely. I have seen many a floorplan where ovens were placed in some form of tall cabinet. Since I was normally looking at it from a top-down view I rarely noticed whether they were the regular single-oven versions or the double-oven version. They were normally in larger kitchens, probably higher-end houses but I almost always saw abstract kitchens, not the houses they were part of.
Like Alice had. Working height oven and I would guess during that timeframe that would be a broiler on the bottom perhaps. And then the separate cooktop.
Alice.jpeg

I'd kill for a double oven, would be awesome for proofing. I see people with these things and have no need for them.

Separate cooktops with single (or even double) ovens are really common here in California, and especially in my area. Its a little suprising seeing so much awe and discussion here about them. Do you all know about "swimming pools" (aka cement ponds)?

Separate cooktops with single (or even double) ovens are really common here in California, and especially in my area. Its a little suprising seeing so much awe and discussion here about them. Do you all know about "swimming pools" (aka cement ponds)?

Not all are cement. Oh gawd, I just derailed the derail that derailed the other derail.

You mean chlorinated tree pollution catchers?

Back
Top Bottom