• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Super Tuesday Is Upon Us!

The moderates are consolidating around Biden. This is what they should have done months ago, but it could still be effective now (although Sanders seems poised to win CA and TX at the very least).
They did not do it months ago because Biden has always been a weak candidate. That has been obvious since the first debates in the Summer.

The progressives, however, are not consolidating around Sanders, who has the best shot at nomination according to every single poll. And by progressives, I mean Warren, who has performed absolutely dismally in nearly every contest so far and is polling behind Sanders in her home state.
Warren is also a very different kind of "progressive". Sanders is an old school class warrior. Warren is the woke, intersectional, identity politics, radical feminist type. Other than both being placed on the left side of a one-dimensional political spectrum, they are not that much alike.

To remind everyone of why this is strange, recall that when Sanders was simply behind in the polls, long before a single vote had been cast, there were constant calls for him to drop out and endorse Warren. If Warren had won the popular vote in the first three primaries and came in 2nd place in SC, every network would be clamoring for Sanders to step aside. But Warren is staying in the race, and her campaign communications material indicates it's specifically to take votes AWAY from Sanders and force a brokered convention.
That is true. Warren is much more agreeable to the establishment. Both the party establishment and the liberal media establishment (CNN, MSNBC).

And now she is sidelining his path to nomination while having zero path herself, for no discernible policy-related reason and seemingly purely for personal gain.
She is hoping to emerge with a few hundred delegates, force a brokered convention and be nominated as a "compromise candidate". Seriously.

There was a time when I would have loved to see a Sanders-Warren unity ticket, as it would have ended the primary months ago. But as of right now, I don't think Warren has any progressive convictions that wouldn't be compromised by money and prestige.
That was never a viable ticket. Two septuagenarians? Not to mention both white (well, at least 99.9% white) and both NE Senators.

I confess I am not keen on unsolicited texts. The ones from Bloomberg have been getting increasingly rude responses from me.

Heh - he seems to be unfazed by people hating his intrusive presence. "Any response is a good response" seems to be the deal.

Non-Californians won't remember her, but Bloomberg reminds me a lot of Meg Whitman (who once tried to overtly buy the governor's seat about a decade back, inadvertently ensuring victory for an implausibly resurrected Jerry Brown) And I suspect he'll get a similar middle finger from the Golden State. We don't like being played for chumps!

I remember that name. Didn't she run for Senate once in the 90s against Barbara Boxer? I first started to follow politics regularly around '96.

Finally, Super Tuesday is here! I will be going to the doctor this morning. And then taking a nap so I can stay up late and watch this circus get underway. I have beer, food, and good connection to MSNBC on the ol' computer.

Now we will see if all those billions spent on politics did for this primary. Will turn out be massive or disappointing? How will the Greens and Libertarians do? What weird crap will Trump be tweeting as this all goes down? Will COVID-19 scare voters away from the voting booth? Can Bernie essentially put this away or will Bloomberg play spoiler? Is this it for Warren?

For political junkies, this will be like being a kid loose in a candy store.

So SC appears to be the DNC's slingshot manoeuver (see Talledegah Nights). It's a clever play. Have the party hierarchy endorse the favored status quo candidate, knowing the SC voters are likely going to fall in line. Then on the back of a strong win, you get a 3-day media boost, from all the massed ranks of print media and cable TV pundits deeply entwined with the party establishment, orchestrate the fellow moderates dropping out, and build momentum going into Super Tuesday. Biden is off the ropes now and looking to go strongly head-to-head with Sanders.

So, Biden either wins a plurality (unlikely), or ends up a nose ahead or slightly behind Sanders (likely). Either way, the superdelegates confirm him. The House Always Wins.

Forward into the Valley Of Death ride the Dems, behind General Biden, our fearless leader, ready to neuter all promising avenues of attack on Trumps major vulnerabilites (corruption, nepotism, corporate/oligarch servant, addled brain) with his own chequered resume, and counter the fanaticism of Trump's base with the meh of his, and especially the indifference of Latino and youth voters. Although he'll lose the rust belt states as Clinton did, and for the same reason (support for job-killing trade bills), he'll finish a respectable second in all the southern red states, and Trump will only win a narrow victory in November. We'll get the coveted Participation Trophy again (winning the popular vote).

But not to worry. A Biden Administration would have done next to nothing about healthcare costs (lobbyists and donors are running his campaign), climate change, worker rights, corporate overreach, foreign meddling, wealth inequality, military budget, student loan debt, educational opportunity. So Trump or Biden, what does it really matter for the vast majority? What matters is optics, the facade, the softening of oligarch rule, the pretense of a pivot.

No. You don't get it.

As each candidate drops and endorses Biden, their delegates will be advised to go for Biden. The vast majority will.

Also, Bloomberg...he has no viable path to victory but he does get decent vote counts from all the money. You see...he wouldn't be able to give Joe Biden $1B as that would be illegal, violating campaign finance law. But he can use a loophole to run as a candidate and then later give his delegates to Biden.

So Biden wins a majority. No super delegates needed.

No. You don't get it.

As each candidate drops and endorses Biden, their delegates will be advised to go for Biden. The vast majority will.

Also, Bloomberg...he has no viable path to victory but he does get decent vote counts from all the money. You see...he wouldn't be able to give Joe Biden $1B as that would be illegal, violating campaign finance law. But he can use a loophole to run as a candidate and then later give his delegates to Biden.

So Biden wins a majority. No super delegates needed.

But given that they're both competing for the same bloc of voters, that's less effective than not running at all, letting Biden get most of those delegates anyways and then funneling the money to him through any of of the 86,000 other loopholes which are available to him.

It's right here:
Bloomberg, who had said earlier this year that he would not run, reversed his decision because he doesn't think there's a candidate in the current field of Democrats who can beat Trump next November, several people close to the former mayor told CNN. That includes former Vice President Joe Biden, who Bloomberg has watched fade in Iowa polling and struggle with fundraising.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/24/politics/michael-bloomberg-2020-election/index.html

This establishes he wants Biden to win. Biden wasn't energizing enough voters or getting enough funds. Solution: get voters for him and give him money indirectly by being a candidate. The assumption is Biden will energize voters in the general which is slightly true but inadequate.

Just watch. Bloomberg will drop out. He will not stay in the race and his votes will go to Biden.

Non-Californians won't remember her, but Bloomberg reminds me a lot of Meg Whitman (who once tried to overtly buy the governor's seat about a decade back, inadvertently ensuring victory for an implausibly resurrected Jerry Brown) And I suspect he'll get a similar middle finger from the Golden State. We don't like being played for chumps!

I remember that name. Didn't she run for Senate once in the 90s against Barbara Boxer? I first started to follow politics regularly around '96.

That was Carly Fiorina who tried (embarrassingly) to unseat Boxer.

Is it just me or every time CNN runs out of something to say, they project Biden won Arkansas again?

Is it just me or every time CNN runs out of something to say, they project Biden won Arkansas again?
3aO6ot.gif

About the actual results:
1. great night for Biden, buoyed not just by SC but also Amy and Pete dropping out and endorsing him.
2. bad, but not horrible, night for Bernie, chiefly because of 1.
3. bad night for Bloomchen. He is going to get some good delegates though.
4. Horrible night for Lying Liz. Currently in third in her home state

Takeaways:
1. Triumph of Mediocrity. Because of the specter of Bernie haunting the primary states, DNC/establishment decided to get behind Biden despite his glaring deficiencies as a candidate. That may be a problem in the general election in the same way that Hillary lost because she was not a good candidate.
2. It is now impossible for Bernie to win a majority and virtually impossible to get even a plurality. What will Bernie Bros do?
3. Despite looking at 3rd place finish by delegates, Bloomchen should stay in the race. The danger of Bernie has now subsided, but that doesn't mean he and Biden should not fight it out. FL and NY should be good for Bloomberg, although New York is quite late. However, there is always a possibility that Biden will stroke out or say something even stupider than he has already done, so Bloomberg should not give up yet by a long shot.
4. Warren should drop out already. 3rd place in Taxxachusetts? Yeah, nobody will make you a compromise candidate at a contested convention Liz. It's over.

Good thing Warren won Massachusetts. If she had come in third in her own state it'd be a sign she's a terrible candidate. Or if Bloomberg ends up with more delegates. Persist on to the convention!

Looks like the DNC will get the contested convention they've been longing for. Ah, well. Four more years. We can survive four more years. :humph:

Looks like the DNC will get the contested convention they've been longing for. Ah, well. Four more years. We can survive four more years. :humph:

No, no! Have you not heard? Trump is a dictator colluding with Putin. We've got 20 more years! He'll never go!

I am in awe of the adage that a week is a lifetime in politics. Who can remember all the way back to to the New Hampshire primary when sleeply Joe had to go to avoid embarressment? Now he's got Bernie on the run.

Looks like Bloomberg might drop out. That would be a mistake.
- The danger of Bernie is largely gone.
- Biden is still a very weak candidate and might still do or say something very stupid that will derail Joementum. And he is 78. He may still stroke out before Milwaukee.
- Bloomberg is set to get some good delegates today.

He should keep trucking!

Somebody who should drop out is Lying Liz.

What will Bernie Bros do?

Was going to vote for Biden in November, if I had to, but after hearing him tonight, talk yet again about how he's the real Democrat, and by implication, those who support Sanders aren't, well he can GFH.

This is the guy who killed an amendment to end price gouging for prescription drugs, voted for Bush's idiotic invasion of Iraq, helped make it impossible to declare bankruptcy over student loans and harder to declare bankruptcy over credit card debt, and boasted about working with Republicans to make cuts in the welfare safety net. But he's the Democrat, not me.

He and Trump are both swamp creatures. And as Hillary proved, if you run on It's My Turn Now, and I'm Not Quite As Bad As That Trump Guy and My Long And Detailed Voting Record Only Made Things Go To Shit Slightly Slower, he'll throw all that mud back at you, and it will stick to you but not to him. Get ready for six more months of Hunter Biden.

If I meet a self-declared moderate in the next four years and they have the nerve to complain to me about medical bills, so help me, I just hope I can avoid any action that helps run up their bill even further.

“Irony” a two Act play:

Dems in 2018: Trump is mentally impaired and must be removed as per the 25th Amendment

Dems in 2020: We nominate Joe Biden!

Mediocre Joe just went into lead in Texas. Not looking good for anybody hoping to stop the Joegernaut, but I still think Bloomchen has a better chance than Bernie, if only because he has some hope to convince Superdelegates to back him instead if Biden fails to get to 1991. Bernie has no such hope.

“Irony” a two Act play:

Dems in 2018: Trump is mentally impaired and must be removed as per the 25th Amendment

I said it the other day: a Trump/Bided debate would resemble a bad Monty Python sketch. Not really funny, but bizarre and weird nevertheless.

By the way, Bernie is not the only one being attacked by the anti-milk nuts.

“Irony” a two Act play:

I said it the other day: a Trump/Bided debate would resemble a bad Monty Python sketch. Not really funny, but bizarre and weird nevertheless.

Which one would sneak up behind the other?

Back
Top Bottom