• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Super Tuesday Is Upon Us!

Looks like the DNC will get the contested convention they've been longing for. Ah, well. Four more years. We can survive four more years. :humph:

Help me out here...

Based on the exit polls, the simple fact is that more primary voters checked the Biden box than Bernie. Why is this a sinister conspiracy by the DNC to rig the contest against Sanders? I'd be convinced that something was fishy going on if Bernie got massive numbers of votes yet Biden still "won," but that's clearly not the case.

Looks like the DNC will get the contested convention they've been longing for. Ah, well. Four more years. We can survive four more years. :humph:

Help me out here...

Based on the exit polls, the simple fact is that more primary voters checked the Biden box than Bernie. Why is this a sinister conspiracy by the DNC to rig the contest against Sanders? I'd be convinced that something was fishy going on if Bernie got massive numbers of votes yet Biden still "won," but that's clearly not the case.

Who said anything about a conspiracy? The pundits and party officials have been open about their desire for a brokered convention, it isn't a secret. The American public seems to agree with them, so... four more years.

Who said anything about a conspiracy? The pundits and party officials have been open about their desire for a brokered convention, it isn't a secret. The American public seems to agree with them, so... four more years.

Why do you think a brokered convention == 4 more years?
I think the brokered convention is the only way to nominate somebody other than Biden, who I think will be a poor GE candidate.

Why do you think a brokered convention == 4 more years?
I think the brokered convention is the only way to nominate somebody other than Biden, who I think will be a poor GE candidate.

Tends to result in a weak candidate, no matter who wins. Too many hurt feelings too close to the general.

Help me out here...

The pundits and party officials have been open about their desire for a brokered convention, it isn't a secret.

Well if it's so open, then you can surely provide a source to back up your claim that the party officials want this.

Tends to result in a weak candidate, no matter who wins. Too many hurt feelings too close to the general.
Because unbrokered convention and a nominee with a clear delegate lead coming into the convention resulted in such a strong candidate and no hurt feelings in 2016, right?
On the other hand, 2008 was a much more contested primary season, even if it (due to only two candidates going the distance) did not result in a contested convention. The result was a stronger GE candidate.

A lot is to be said of the idea that "iron sharpens iron". Bring on the contested convention and may the best man win!

It's a "I hope so, but I'm not optimistic". This is looking a lot like a remix of 2016, and I've seen the ending.

Remind me again how 2016 was a brokered convention and Clinton just didn't have the votes.

I mean the Boomers pick an ineffective candidate out of fear of "too much change" and Trump wins.

It's a "I hope so, but I'm not optimistic". This is looking a lot like a remix of 2016, and I've seen the ending.

Remind me again how 2016 was a brokered convention and Clinton just didn't have the votes.

I mean the Boomers pick an ineffective candidate out of fear of "too much change" and Trump wins.

Yeah, I'm afraid of that too. I'm pretty disappointed, for Bernie to have a realistic path forward, he would have had to have clinched Texas, California at a bare minimum, and Massachusetts for good measure.

Biden has a lot of baggage. But who knows? He is popular in the Midwest. Trump really won the electoral college on a fluke. However, I fear his supporters are extremely motivated, a cursory look at the turnout in the Republican primaries shows that people want to come out and vote for him.

I think Biden is the most likely candidate to beat Trump, but let's be. honest. It was primarily African American voters and then people over 45, not just boomers, who chose Biden. I don't want to fight or argue about it. Those are the facts.

This looks like a boomers last stand year. Dems have a hollowed out 45-65 group of candidates who ran and, obviously, didn't win. Oh Booker, Harris, Bedo, Patrick, Klobacher, Delaney, Bennett, Steyer, Castro,and Yang are somewhat attractive - most have boomer patina views - but they don't have much to separate them from the real things. Beating Trump is all that democrats really care about this cycle.

Unless there is an economic dip by June or July I'm not hopeful. Light Brigade comes to mind.

Yeah, I'm afraid of that too. I'm pretty disappointed, for Bernie to have a realistic path forward, he would have had to have clinched Texas, California at a bare minimum, and Massachusetts for good measure.

Biden has a lot of baggage. But who knows? He is popular in the Midwest. Trump really won the electoral college on a fluke. However, I fear his supporters are extremely motivated, a cursory look at the turnout in the Republican primaries shows that people want to come out and vote for him.

Biden can do well in the small group of states that gave SCROTUS the win (PA, MI, WI). I don't think Sanders can.

Sanders has to be very concerned that his massive fundraising and organizational advantages haven't given him more than a small lead. And if a lot of people in California hadn't voted early, he might not even have that. Biden has all the momentum, and he'll probably be receiving a massive infusion of cash to go with it. Remember also that super-delegates make up 15% of the total, and they're likely to go heavily for Biden unless Sanders has an insurmountable lead at the convention.

Beating Trump is all that democrats really care about this cycle.
That's not going to sound at all convincing given the fact that Biden has been tracking a few points lower against Trump than Sanders, both nationally and in rust belt states, and has bet on the smaller minority voting block over the larger, and concentrated more in states he can't win.

I really don't care at this point to be honest. There's not much difference between going in the wrong direction fast and going in the wrong direction slow. Either way, you end up bankrupted by medical bills.

Can't wait for Hunter Biden to replace Jared Kushner as special envoy to the Middle East. And for the stripper he inpregnated and refused to pay child support for to show up at the debate as Trump's guest.

I think Biden is the most likely candidate to beat Trump, but let's be. honest. It was primarily African American voters and then people over 45, not just boomers, who chose Biden. I don't want to fight or argue about it. Those are the facts.

This.

Sanders had a clear and commanding lead amongst younger voters, but they didn't come out for him in higher numbers than the demographic has come out in previous elections. In order to beat Trump, the Dems need more voters in the right areas. Sanders has shown an inability to get new voters out to the polls, so the appeals to the independents and moderates which Biden is better at is a far more optimal strategy, since the people he appeals to have a better track record of actually getting up off the couch and standing in a line for a bit, which is a key requirement in a democracy.

Sanders has a good message about starting a revolution and fighting against the power, but it's not a revolution with enough people in it.

Biden's campaign was running on fumes last week. No money, no presence on the ground in CA or many other large ST states. And no real vision of why he's running to inspire voters, other than a claim to be able to unseat Trump. Much like Clinton in 2016.

What happened was the DNC got alarmed at the prospect of Sanders building an unsurmountable lead yesterday, based on performance in NV and polling afterwards, and engineered the other moderates dropping out. Because Sanders threatens the DNC, and their cozy shadow-RNC insider shell game of pretending to represent their base and its economic priorities, but prefering to court rich donors and corporations in order to get rich themselves and keep access to power. This devils bargain requires them to neuter anything that threatens the status quo, and Biden is the perfect totem for this. He has that track record. He reassures rich donors. He did reassure them last year - he told them he wouldn't change anything fundamentally.

The cable and broadcast media support this: they are corporations too and are threatened by Sander's assault on healthcare profiteering - most of the ads that run on their shows are for prescription drugs. MSNBC have openly attacked Sanders, and CNN do it more discretely. Their pundit panels are stacked with DNC operators, veterans of Clinton and Obama campaigns and those ambitious enough to play the insider game and not bite the hands that feed them by calling attention to the dysfunction in the capitol. All of these people are there to reassure their audience that the adults are in charge, that the economy is doing well (because unemployment is low) and that wars are patriotic.

The message being amplified over and over again is that Sanders is not "us" (he isn't), he's a threat (he is to them), and he must be stopped, and the DNC needs to stop him. This has been going on for weeks now. Given that the voters broke massively for Biden last night, and it wasn't because anyone for him knocked on their doors or called them up or they saw any of his ads, it's likely that this drumbeat TV messaging and the big win in SC swayed them. The key endorsement was Clyburn, and he's deep in the pockets of the pharma industry. He took over a million in funding from them over 10 years. He's another symbol of what's wrong with the DNC. Of course he's not going to endorse the candidate angry about his constituents (and everyone else) being ambushed and bankrupted by medical bills.

This isn't entirely a CT narrative, and that Democrat voters are no more than just zombies with transmitters, but I think the reality is more complex than, well, Sanders wasn't able to make his case. He's been right about just about every negative trend in the past 20-30 years, and this Coronavirus outbreak and the threat it poses underlines every point he's making about the need for access to medical care at the point of delivery, paid sick leave, and the compassionate treatment of the most impoverished members of society. His candidacy is not without risks, but progressives have no seat at the table, that much is obvious, and yet again we're being asked to back a weak, compromised, corrupt, establishment-friendly candidate, who doesn't inspire anyone, just attracts those willing to settle, and not willing to think about what helped create Trump in the first place.

It's right here:
Bloomberg, who had said earlier this year that he would not run, reversed his decision because he doesn't think there's a candidate in the current field of Democrats who can beat Trump next November, several people close to the former mayor told CNN. That includes former Vice President Joe Biden, who Bloomberg has watched fade in Iowa polling and struggle with fundraising.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/24/politics/michael-bloomberg-2020-election/index.html

This establishes he wants Biden to win. Biden wasn't energizing enough voters or getting enough funds. Solution: get voters for him and give him money indirectly by being a candidate. The assumption is Biden will energize voters in the general which is slightly true but inadequate.

Just watch. Bloomberg will drop out. He will not stay in the race and his votes will go to Biden.

And done.

It's right here:
Bloomberg, who had said earlier this year that he would not run, reversed his decision because he doesn't think there's a candidate in the current field of Democrats who can beat Trump next November, several people close to the former mayor told CNN. That includes former Vice President Joe Biden, who Bloomberg has watched fade in Iowa polling and struggle with fundraising.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/24/politics/michael-bloomberg-2020-election/index.html

This establishes he wants Biden to win. Biden wasn't energizing enough voters or getting enough funds. Solution: get voters for him and give him money indirectly by being a candidate. The assumption is Biden will energize voters in the general which is slightly true but inadequate.

Just watch. Bloomberg will drop out. He will not stay in the race and his votes will go to Biden.

And Warren is staying in, so her votes don't go to Bernie.

Back
Top Bottom