• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Survey

I was a Christian once, as you already know DLH, and I actually wouldn't mind seeing most religions destroyed. Not all of them, there are plenty that are peaceful and seem to actually do some good, but certainly those that teach little kids that they will be tortured with fire for eternity if they don't do what they are told, and the kinds that inspire people to form hideously evil groups like ISIS. In my opinion David, even this person belief you seem to have created by yourself seems to be unhealthy for you.

Hey, Smoker, glad to see you comment. How do you think it is unhealthy for me.

I was a Christian once, as you already know DLH, and I actually wouldn't mind seeing most religions destroyed. Not all of them, there are plenty that are peaceful and seem to actually do some good, but certainly those that teach little kids that they will be tortured with fire for eternity if they don't do what they are told, and the kinds that inspire people to form hideously evil groups like ISIS. In my opinion David, even this person belief you seem to have created by yourself seems to be unhealthy for you.

Hey, Smoker, glad to see you comment. How do you think it is unhealthy for me.

Well for starters, you believe in a book that says you shouldn't be allowed to live because of your sexual orientation. Maybe that is one of the misconceptions you've been talking about, but it seems to say pretty clearly to me in the Old Testament that homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to live.

Secondly, you seem to get quite mad when anybody questions the ideas you believe about this Bible. This is just going to raise your blood pressure talking to so many atheists like you are currently doing. Why do you care if the people here don't agree with you?

Well for starters, you believe in a book that says you shouldn't be allowed to live because of your sexual orientation. Maybe that is one of the misconceptions you've been talking about, but it seems to say pretty clearly to me in the Old Testament that homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to live.

Not at all. The so called Old Testament does say that homosexual activity is a capital offense. Being, as you know, a non practicing homosexual since I discovered the Bible, in ancient Israel I would have had to either leave or, as I've done in this stream of time, abstain from engaging in that activity, or leave to any of the surrounding areas where it was the norm. Christ done away with the Law of Moses so it is no longer considered a capital offense by Christians, only something to abstain from.

I don't know that I would agree that that decision is an unhealthy one. I've seen a lot of my old friends suffer the unhealthy lifestyle of homosexuality, some even dying of Aids.

Secondly, you seem to get quite mad when anybody questions the ideas you believe about this Bible. This is just going to raise your blood pressure talking to so many atheists like you are currently doing. Why do you care if the people here don't agree with you?

I don't get upset when anybody questions my ideas, I love it when they question my ideas, it gives me the opportunity to, not only explain those ideas it also challenges me. I learn more from researching those atheist challenges than I ever did on my own, with my own beliefs. I do this because I honestly think that out here, somewhere, I will eventually find some people who don't have the bitter, stubborn xenophobia that atheists collectively seem to possess and we can have a good conversation.

I get little pieces here and there. Mostly I work on my website but occasionally I need to get feedback, even if I have to take it in small doses with a lot of shit. Excrement, sorry.

Don't get me wrong, though. To a certain extent I see what you are saying and I agree.

Not at all. The so called Old Testament does say that homosexual activity is a capital offense. Being, as you know, a non practicing homosexual since I discovered the Bible, in ancient Israel I would have had to either leave or, as I've done in this stream of time, abstain from engaging in that activity, or leave to any of the surrounding areas where it was the norm. Christ done away with the Law of Moses so it is no longer considered a capital offense by Christians, only something to abstain from.

Actually I didn't know that you were a non practicing homosexual, but knowing that kind of pisses me off even more. In my opinion, you should be able to live however you want free from the restrictions of the Old Testament writers who lived a long ago. You shouldn't have to deny your own natural desires just because some homophobic sheepherders thousands of years ago didn't understand that homosexuality is something natural and not a sin. I think maybe you have more courage and patience than I do, because if I was born a homosexual I would be burning down the church of the Westboro Babtist Church and any other building that homophobic assholes meet at.

Actually I didn't know that you were a non practicing homosexual, but knowing that kind of pisses me off even more. In my opinion, you should be able to live however you want free from the restrictions of the Old Testament writers who lived a long ago. You shouldn't have to deny your own natural desires just because some homophobic sheepherders thousands of years ago didn't understand that homosexuality is something natural and not a sin. I think maybe you have more courage and patience than I do, because if I was born a homosexual I would be burning down the church of the Westboro Babtist Church and any other building that homophobic assholes meet at.

Scott, how in the hell could you have known me from years . . . years . . . of discussion at the SAB forum where the subject of my non practicing homosexuality was thoroughly run into the ground?!

Is it the weed, Scott? Is it the Whiskey? Oh, I know from personal experience what the Demon Alcohol and the Smokey Smoke do . . .

As a non practicing and even in the past a practicing homosexual I do and would have welcomed the right of the Westboro Baptist Church's homophobic asshole speech. If I didn't, I wouldn't have the integrity to express my own. Asshole speech.

If you haven't noticed yet, atheists tend to be pedantic (myself included). I think it has to do with our search for the truth.
Actually, i kinda thought DLH was setting up a trap. People would answer the question he SEEMED to be asking, then he'd rail against skeptics who projected things into apologist posts rather than read what was actually there.

I guess i gave him too much credit, there.

You're fucking theist paranoid is what it is. You have the world view of an anti crusader crusader. Don't you know you always become your own enemy?

That's why I have no enemies . . . you say we have locked swords but, dear old friend*, I say we have not locked swords, but only shields! (Insincere mocking, he knows it, paraphrased from Absolutely Fabulous quote)

Give me a hug, old buddy? No?

* Keith was the moderator at the SAB and often censured me because he couldn't defend his position as resident atheist messiah.

Scott, how in the hell could you have known me from years . . . years . . . of discussion at the SAB forum where the subject of my non practicing homosexuality was thoroughly run into the ground?!

Is it the weed, Scott? Is it the Whiskey? Oh, I know from personal experience what the Demon Alcohol and the Smokey Smoke do . . .

I guess I wasn't paying that much attention in all those years of how much you were practicing homosexuality; it makes me feel like an asshole writing stuff like this as if you are wrong to behave the way nature made you. But I'm not the one preaching that same sex people shouldn't be able to love and hold each other. It's this fucked up Bible that you think is so great that makes many people think that homo-relations is wrong. I reject that bullshit teaching in the Bible with all of my heart.

Maybe it is the weed and the Whiskey that makes me say things like this, when I get pissed off about homosexuals not being granted the same rights because of the rediculous theories of anceint men who didn't understand what science is, I tend to get a little chaotic.

I don't know that I would agree that that decision is an unhealthy one. I've seen a lot of my old friends suffer the unhealthy lifestyle of homosexuality, some even dying of Aids.

Right, and it's not as if heterosexuals or even celibate people ever die of aids or that one could provide oneself with reasonable protection from diseases by taken simple precautions.

Oh, wait.

How many of you spell skeptic with a c?
Five do. I'll intuit the names for you later.

There’s no group here in this disembodied space. The illusion’s incomplete. We interact a bit so it feels kind of “groupish” but anyone "hearing" the OP’s question hears it as a lone individual. To make the kids/ice cream analogy work, you’d have to imagine a person asking one lone kid after another “How many of you like ice cream?” And that rather highlights the clumsiness of the question.

Even if someone intended to survey a million people, he wouldn’t ask “How many of you million people…?” He’d just ask “Do you…?”

And “sceptic” is a Britishism, not a revisionism as bilby claimed. Though not so annoying a Britishism as “whilst”.

Skeptic is a revisionism, and that was my claim. It is also an Americanism.

Sceptic is not a 'Britishism' - firstly because there is no such thing, and secondly because it is the majority useage worldwide - not just in Britain, but in the whole English speaking world outside North America.

It would be difficult for me to get further from Britain without joining the space program. But sceptic is nevertheless the correct useage here.

Being, as you know, a non practicing homosexual since I discovered the Bible,

I appreciate your honesty here, even though I find your situation sad. God created you to be a certain way, then said, "Don't act that way or else."

in ancient Israel I would have had to either leave or, as I've done in this stream of time, abstain from engaging in that activity, or leave to any of the surrounding areas where it was the norm. Christ done away with the Law of Moses so it is no longer considered a capital offense by Christians, only something to abstain from.

You don't get to share your life intimately with someone you love. You don't get to engage in a loving sexual relationship, and all the physical, emotional, and psychological benefits that comes with it. Again, I find that sad.

I've seen a lot of my old friends suffer the unhealthy lifestyle of homosexuality, some even dying of Aids.

Have you seen anyone enjoy a healthy lifestyle of homosexuality?

I too have seen people suffer from an unhealthy lifestyle of heterosexuality. I've seen marriages destroyed and families torn apart when a heterosexual partner (or even both) engaged in risky behaviors, multiple affairs, etc. I've seen heterosexual people contract STDs from their heterosexual partners, even deadly diseases like AIDS.

But I'm still not convinced that my proper response to having seen all that is to stop engaging in my natural, inborn heterosexual desires. I've watched people drive recklessly, injuring themselves and others, but I'm not going to stop driving my own car because of it.

How many atheists here were once Christian?

If you answered yes, would you like to see religion destroyed and the same question to those who said no.

Never been Christian. Grew up in an atheistic home in an atheistic society. The first time I met an actually out and open religious person I was properly an adult.

No, I like religion. I think religions are on balance a good thing. But I do think theism should be destroyed. The belief in god seems to truly be a poison that corrodes and destroys societies. Because it elevates hunches and baseless opinions to absolute and objective truth. I have a hard time seeing that as positive. But religions... all for it.

Sceptic is not a 'Britishism' - firstly because there is no such thing, and secondly because it is the majority useage worldwide - not just in Britain, but in the whole English speaking world outside North America.
Where an overwhelming majority of native English speaking people reside (not worldwide majority- I wonder about the number of American English speakers and teachers vs. British English speakers and teachers?).

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/36749/why-did-sceptical-become-skeptical-in-the-us

Try: http://www.sceptic.org.uk/ You might get redirected to something with a better spelling.

But sceptic is nevertheless the correct useage here.
No no no. TFT is hosted (physically) in Dallas, TX. Speak American!

About your purposeful usage of useage.
http://linguistlist.org/ask-ling/message-details1.cfm?asklingid=200312267

I stuck a scepter in a sceptic's tank and it stank.

Been washed in Christian waters so many times my soul washed away. Same with creed inundations. How does one reconcile creeds based on holy books written by John Smith in upstate NY with ones sung by the Wesley brothers in Liverpool with ones said to be written by a man crucified in Rome with ones tacked on German Church door?

You might say my orientation evolved to the point where I'm now believing man has no free will just because, like all life, he is a reactive being.

This isn't the proper way to conduct a survey!

In the future, please give us a poll with a minimum of two options from which to select, one of which should be 'magical brownies', and a summary screen after participating in the poll that allows everyone to see how many people voted for each option.

How many atheists here were once Christian?

Undetermined. Unless you are asking us as individuals. In that case, 1 of me was once Christian.

But what about those who were once Muslim, or practicing Jews, or Rastafarians, or <insert religion here>. Why it's always got to be Christian, man?

If you answered yes, would you like to see religion destroyed and the same question to those who said no.

But I didn't answer 'yes', or 'no'!

I guess I can't participate in this follow-up question, even though I would really like to do so.

I have never been religious. My family was not religious. My parents were more atheistic than I am. I am not anti-religious. I am anti-clerical. I want to see all power removed from the clergy, ALL clergy, Muslim, Jewish, Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Asatruar, Atlantean Traditional ALL.

Eldarion Lathria

It is a little embarrassing to read responses from you guys that quibble over the phrasing of the question, "how many...".

There is a group of people in a room working late.. an admin comes in and asks, "how many people want pizza?" Is a reasonable response from intelligent adults, "I don't know how many people want pizza, so go away"? Or, more likely, would there be a chorus of people saying, "I do" or "no thank you", and then the admin confirms, "ok, so 5 people are eating, should be about 45 minutes".

I guess there is a difference between asking for a show of hands in a room full of people that can all see each other, versus asking the same of a group of largely-anonymous members of an internet message board.

I had a teacher back in school who would ask for a show of hands to an either-or question. "Raise your hand if you want to go outside or stay indoors."

It is a little embarrassing to read responses from you guys that quibble over the phrasing of the question, "how many...".
No, we're not quibbling over the phrasing of the question.
The quibble is over what the answers were predicted to be.

DLH is claiming some substantial superiority over the rest of all stupid Christendom and stupid Atheists for his command of the language of the ancients that wrote scripture.

Is it NOT reasonable to point out that his command of the language we're discussing the topic in makes some inaccurate assumptions, which may call into question if he can be trusted to display a superior, objective grasp of a completely different language? Or maybe he's making assumptions there, too, which might affect his credibility in discussion?

"Raise your hand if you want to go outside or stay indoors."
A chief in boot camp HATED it when sailors started trying to answer the question before he finished asking it.
On the topic of driving safety, he drew two one-way streets on the board and indicated someone in the left lane of the north-bound street. "Now who thinks it's possible to make a left hand turn on a red light..."
Seven of us had our hands up at this point. He turned around, turned red and finished with 'WHILE SUCKING MY DICK?'

Six guys yanked their hands out of the air and sat on them, trying desperately not to attract his attention any more. I still had my hand up. "Well!?!?!" he shouted.

"Yes, if there's a sunroof, it's open and you're standing up in the passenger seat."

He laughed for ten minutes. No one had ever actually answered the question before.

Then he made me run laps for twenty. No one ever answered that question ever again....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom