• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Teen shot 7 times and killed by police officer - ruled "justified" of course

That's so incredible it is hard to fathom. That you _want_ a society that does that. That you think it is _better_ seriously, BETTER to shoot a kid dead than let him get away with operating a vehicle without a license..

That's not why officer Frost shot the kid. The kid was shot for attacking the officer.
Now whether the kid attacked the officer, we're not sure of. But we know what the kid was shot for. We know it, we know that.

We know. We know that. We know that. We know that. We know. We know. We know. We know. We know that. We know that. We know that.

The sky has clouds in it… The trees have leaves… A circle is round… These are the facts, these are the facts, these are the facts.

We know. We know that. We know that. We know that. We know. We know. We know. We know. We know that. We know that. We know that.

Seems to me that the officer still had multiple means of defense/compliance before resorting to his service weapon. He still has the taser, he has pepper spray, and he has his baton. Not to mention that he has training in hand-to-hand combat.

American police resort to firearms use way too quickly.

The officer also had the option of not driving around his with overly bright beams (which is arguably illegal itself) and pulling the distressed drivers over to harass them for trying to point out his problem to him.

Whoopti-fucking-do whether or not all the drivers in the area had their licenses on them, when he’s potentially a threat to their lives just for being on the road. The town in the area is 2000 people, right? He pulled over at least 3 out of 2000 people of the area because they were freaked out by how dangerous he himself was, and he can't figure out what's the right thing to do about that other than just enforce his stupid laws.

If police don't do what this man did that evening, then it will become a lawless society?! That's insane.

Does the legalist mind just not have any sense of context at all? It's just all principles and rules for whatever situation, I guess.

The officer also had the option of not driving around his with overly bright beams (which is arguably illegal itself) and pulling the distressed drivers over to harass them for trying to point out his problem to him.

Whoopti-fucking-do whether or not all the drivers in the area had their licenses on them, when he’s potentially a threat to their lives just for being on the road. The town in the area is 2000 people, right? He pulled over at least 3 out of 2000 people of the area because they were freaked out by how dangerous he himself was, and he can't figure out what's the right thing to do about that other than just enforce his stupid laws.

If police don't do what this man did that evening, then it will become a lawless society?! That's insane.

Does the legalist mind just not have any sense of context at all? It's just all principles and rules for whatever situation, I guess.

^^^ yep

Seems to me that the officer still had multiple means of defense/compliance before resorting to his service weapon. He still has the taser, he has pepper spray, and he has his baton. Not to mention that he has training in hand-to-hand combat.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Apparently, also true if that's the tool you like best.

In this case, there were multiple other tools at the officer's discretion. But he chose the hammer.

At that point is ceased to simply be a stop about flashing brights.

And instead it became about authoritarian compliance no matter what the cost would be to the kid, no matter what kind of violence the officer would have to do and he started showing it.

A society in which police back down at resistance is a lawless society.

No, it isn't. A society in which police have executive discretion is already the society we live in.

So the officer had discretion as to whether he pulled over the kid in the first place. He didn't need to. He also didn't need to do a bunch of other stuff he did or shoot 7 times.

Your assertion that police have ZERO discretion leads to a police state.

I guess an inflexible totalitarian state is okay with you, though.

ob1.jpg

They always ask for it.
I know from experience that is not true.

That's why I said "in a fashion". It doesn't work but not doing it meant a basically certain ticket.
Thanks for admitting it made no sense. And not doing does not mean a certain ticket.

Tasers are a pain compliance tool. Fewer injuries than if he simply forced matters.
This incident proves you wrong on both counts (compliance and fewer injuries).

If you can't follow the thread why do you post in it?
I can follow the thread fine. You had lots of nonsense in the part of your post, and you were vague about what you were referring to.

A society in which police back down at resistance is a lawless society.
Mindless shirt slogans are not compelling arguments. Especially when they are false. Police back down to resistance all the time. A good police officer disintinguishes when to push and when not to. This traffic stop is an excellent example of how not to do one.

Unfortunately this is where we are at. We have people in their 70s being asked for ID when ordering a glass of wine at the bar. We have kids handcuffed and dragged off to the police station for building clocks.

why people conclude there’s a fight; the mind tends to fill in the blanks of what’s not known with easy answers. But skepticism requires people to not do that.

Do you accept these as facts:

1) The officer seems level headed and to be conducting a fairly routine traffic stop
2) The kid is not cooperative in the traffic stop
3) The kid was told to be lying on the ground
4) At some point after that he is on video on his feet coming at the officer swinging his arms
5) The camera breaks
6) The officers face is beaten up
7) The kid ends up shot

One possible explanation for this is that the officer shot the kid in self defense. Indeed this is the officer's explanation.

Skepticism allows you to consider other possibilities. It does not give you a license to believe whatever else you prefer to believe.

Putting on your nicest skeptic hat, what are the other possibilities that you feel fit the evidence better?

I've only seen the video once and I couldn't tell if the kid attacked the cop. However, some of the other possibilities I've read sound almost like creationist arguments against evolution: "The cop tripped and that's how he got multiple injuries on his face" or "The recoil of the gun caused the injuries". The great leaps people are making to defend the kid of all wrong doing are extraordinary, as if admitting the kid fucked up is the same as saying he deserved to die. If there were marks on the kids knuckles they would say the cop was trying to headbutt the kid & the kid put his fists in front of his face to protect himself.

Loren, it continues to appall me that you consider it a decent society to live in where a police force uses electricity to subdue citizens for being mouthy or confused.

That you assert that all citizens should expect to be electrically shocked into unconsciousness if they fail to understand the cop's frame of mind.

That's so incredible it is hard to fathom. That you _want_ a society that does that. That you think it is _better_ seriously, BETTER to shoot a kid dead than let him get away with operating a vehicle without a license.

You continue to blame the officer for the kid's actions. When the officer decided to arrest him he had no idea it was going to lead to a shooting. It was the kid's felonious attack that caused that.

No "attack" - "vicious" or "felonious" or any other kind - has been shown as factual. We are blaming the COP for the COP's actions.

In the meantime, you are defending the factual tasing of the teen when there was ZERO reasonable reason for the cop to tase him. Your blanket statement that tasers are supposed to be "compliance tools" in passive non-compliance situations is factually wrong. Many police jurisdictions require the use of tasers only when there is ACTIVE resistance (defined by the Orlando PD, for instance, as "the subject’s actions are intended to facilitate an escape or prevent an arrest. The action is not likely to cause injury"). Deven was not attempting an escape. There was no reason for the cop to use a taser on him.

That you would advocate for taser use against citizens who are not actively resisting nor trying to escape is appalling.

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/...n=display_arch&article_id=2204&issue_id=92010

Last edited:

We've been down this list before. It's no more sensible this time as last time.

Taser--it was already fired. Until the cartridge is replaced it is at best a stun gun. (Contact-range weapon--it will not work though heavy clothing and thus is pretty much useless in this case.)

Pepper spray--at that range it will reflect back on the officer. He's going to disable himself as badly as his attacker.

Baton--it's unlikely had one (they've been replaced with tasers) and even if he did they're pretty useless at such range.

Taser--it was already fired. Until the cartridge is replaced it is at best a stun gun. (Contact-range weapon--it will not work though heavy clothing and thus is pretty much useless in this case.)

Pepper spray--at that range it will reflect back on the officer. He's going to disable himself as badly as his attacker.

Baton--it's unlikely had one (they've been replaced with tasers) and even if he did they're pretty useless at such range.
Apparently tasers are at that range as well. Especially if the target is wearing a heavy jacket.:rolleyes:

I think someone said it best about the defense of Frost: "It's no more sensible this time as last time."

Unfortunately this is where we are at. We have people in their 70s being asked for ID when ordering a glass of wine at the bar. We have kids handcuffed and dragged off to the police station for building clocks.

Actually, there's a reason for IDing the 70-somethings. If you put a dividing line (say, ID anyone who appears to be under 40) you'll get some insulted old-looking people a bit younger than the cutoff.

And that kid wasn't hauled off for making a clock, but for making a hoax bomb. Since the fallout of this has been a meeting with the butcher of Darfur and now he's moving to Qatar--one of the major players in the terrorism game. It's looking more like a setup.

Actually, there's a reason for IDing the 70-somethings. If you put a dividing line (say, ID anyone who appears to be under 40) you'll get some insulted old-looking people a bit younger than the cutoff.

...and we certainly cannot have old people challenging police on their policies. Sounds like these old people are just asking to be beaten up.

At the point Frost used his taser, he should not have been using ANY of those methods because Deven was not actively resisting nor attempting to escape. Frost should have simply backed off as this teen was no danger to anyone.

What heavy clothing???????? The kid was wearing a t-shirt. Which is obvious to anyone who actually watches the video.

They should have another cop with them as well. This guy couldn't even physically handle a teenage kid.

Suppose it took more than 5 seconds for you to set up your phone to record a police officer. Does that give the police officer the right to arrest you and tase you?

Did you not watch the video? He's constantly messing with the phone, even when he's down on the ground about to be cuffed.
This doesn't answer my inquiries about how using a phone constitutes a reasonable threat or even a reasonable suspicion. Revise my hypothetical situation involving YOU and and 5 seconds of phone interaction and adjust the time upwards because the time is unconsequential. Suppose a police officer is talking to you for 15 minutes and you are using your phone for the entire time because your old phone technology only allows you to record 30 second clips at a time. Is that suspicious? Is that a threat to the officer? In most cases the answer is clearly no.

Throughout this entire thread you have been insisting that the version of events that you have pictured in your mind must be true and factual because to you they are the most likely explanation for the evidence we do have. But examine what the officer said about the cell phone. He thought that the boy could have been calling for backup to threaten the officer's safety. Is that the most likely reason for a person to be using their cellphone during a traffic stop? No. It's not in the top 10 reasons Family Feud would list as a reason to use a phone during a traffic stop. This one quote from the officer may indicate that he has serious paranoia problems.

It is unreasonable for police officers to escalate traffic stops to violence and tasing because people are using cell phones.
I know you disagree with me about this, but ask yourself: Why do I grant the police so much freedom to violate your body over such flimsy excuses?
I was using my cell phone but he didn't know I wasn't calling in a hit on him so I deserved the tasing. I was reaching for my reading glasses but he didn't know that I wasn't reaching for a hand grenade so I deserved to be slammed into the asphault. Etc.

If the officer hears the boy say out loud into the phone "There's a police officer here with me on route 9, please send the gang to help me take him out," he could reasonably conclude that the boy was a threat. The officer may not presume that every outgoing message is a coded threat just because the boy is texting and the officer can't see what he's texting. The threshold needed for officers to investigate a crime is reasonable suspicion. A paranoia that every outgoing text message is a threatening request for a posse to come attack the officer does not meet the "reasonable" threshold.

He's describing the situation--that's really all that's needed if he's talking to someone of such a mindset. The phone can be traced by someone with access to the account.
You clearly think people routinely call in hitmen to execute police officers during traffic stops. You may ignore what I wrote to you above. Introspection may not be as helpful to you as I hoped.
As for a backup taser--you still don't get it. Tasers aren't self-defense weapons, period! They sometimes see use in a standoff, otherwise they're a compliance tool.
You don't have to treat a taser as a self defense weapon to want to have a back up. They are single use weapons and there are a lot of people out there.

The point is that you are suggesting it's use as a self-defense weapon. That's why I'm saying you don't get it. It's not a matter of whether he has a backup or not. (And there's basically no reason to carry two, anyway. Tasers are single-shot but reloadable--pop a new cartridge on and it's good to go.)
No the problem here is that you assume that the missing 10 seconds of video footage consists entirely of "self defence situations" when you have no objective evidence of what happened during those 10 seconds. I'll say it again. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED. I know you think you know. But you really don't. You don't know if the two were flung apart after first contact leaving one of them dazed and the other one prone on the ground (It doesn't matter which. The ensuing tragedy could happen either way) You don't know if one of Michigan's infamous black squirrels (considered bad luck by the superstitious) jumped onto the Officer's face while the boy was tripping over the mound where Jimmy Hoffa was buried.

You assume the boy attacked and they were engaged in close combat only because you trust authority figures nearly blindly.

OMG, You don't know that they were at extremely close range because there is no objective evidence as to what happened during those 10 seconds. So many assumptions you have! There ARE situations where pepper spray is preferable to a taser! I know it and you know it. Those missing 10 seconds could have contained one of those situations because again, we have no objective evidence as to what happened.

We know he was being injured in those 10 seconds--the kid had no ranged weapon so that means they were at contact range for a good portion of the time.
We actually don't see the Sgt. get injured in any portion of the video so we have no objective evidence as to what injured him or when he was injured. The officer's injuries could be self-inflicted, during or after the shooting. They could be accidental injuries sustained from a fall. Again, We don't know. You don't know.

Calling it "confusion" doesn't make it not resistance.
You seriously don't think police should make allowances for confused citizens? Citizens who are deaf? Citizens who don't speak English? Citizens with mental disabilities? Citizens who recently recieved a concussion? Citizens who are near death? Citizens who are simply confused? All of these people should be tased into pain-compliance when they don't immediately follow the commands of police officers?

No--I'm saying that keep pretending his resistance was due to confusion. The only thing he might actually have been confused about was getting face down rather than just kneeling.
I take this response to mean that you DO believe that police officers should make some allowances for confusion. Well that's some small example of compassion. Good for you.
But in this case that allowance was irrelevant because the video demonstrates active resistance with no possible component of confusion.

No possible confusion in someone who just had someone pull a weapon on him and threaten him, kick his phone out of his hands and twist his arm behind his back only to then insist that he put his arms behind his back. That must happen every day for this kid so of course he knew exactly what was going on and exactly what the officer expected from him. I see now that confusion was impossible in this situation. :(

Back
Top Bottom