• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Bible And Slavery

No, I said "refuse Him," not refuse the role He has prescribed for us. The Bible says He has mercy on whom He will have mercy, and whom He will He hardens. So those who refuse Him and never repent would fall in the latter category.

The Bible makes it clear that no one whom He has chosen will refuse Him. Jesus said, "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day." (John 6:44)

So what are you doing here? You're stumping around for slavery, copy-pasting some incoherent nonsense your pastor told you and annoying people, but you're not accomplishing anything. You cannot accomplish anything. By your logic, there's nothing for a person to do in this life. God will save whom he will save, or he won't. And by your testimony, he desires that most of us should not be saved, but rather to die in eternal agony.

I'm glad your version of God does not choose me, I'd worry about the company I was attracting frankly. I do not love torturers, slavers, or sadists, nor desire that they should love me.

A wise man once advised me to judge a person by the fruits of their labor, not by how smoothly they can talk. What fruit are you growing?

There are only two possibilities for anyone in this world, either you are for Jesus Christ or against Him. That's what Jesus said. There's no middle ground. Many who say they are for Him are not, as they believe in "another Jesus." These are such as are, "deceiving, and being deceived." As for the category of "atheist" - the Bible indicates contemporary atheism is willful ignorance (2 Peter 3:3-5). Because, otherwise, it is clear and knowable to men that God exists, being clearly understood from what has been made. Me, I was essentially an agnostic right until the time God put it in my heart to seek Him. Jesus Himself, during His earthly ministry, did remark that the prostitutes and tax collectors were entering the kingdom before the self-righteous, religious chief priests and elders. So it does not follow that just because someone calls himself an atheist, that he is further from the kingdom of God than a religious person. The opposite is quite possibly true, in many cases. Therefore, if by any means, I could explain why the Bible treats slavery the way it does, then I'm inclined to do that.

No, I said "refuse Him," not refuse the role He has prescribed for us. The Bible says He has mercy on whom He will have mercy, and whom He will He hardens. So those who refuse Him and never repent would fall in the latter category.

The Bible makes it clear that no one whom He has chosen will refuse Him. Jesus said, "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day." (John 6:44)

So what are you doing here? You're stumping around for slavery, copy-pasting some incoherent nonsense your pastor told you and annoying people, but you're not accomplishing anything. You cannot accomplish anything. By your logic, there's nothing for a person to do in this life. God will save whom he will save, or he won't. And by your testimony, he desires that most of us should not be saved, but rather to die in eternal agony.

I'm glad your version of God does not choose me, I'd worry about the company I was attracting frankly. I do not love torturers, slavers, or sadists, nor desire that they should love me.

A wise man once advised me to judge a person by the fruits of their labor, not by how smoothly they can talk. What fruit are you growing?

There are only two possibilities for anyone in this world, either you are for Jesus Christ or against Him. That's what Jesus said. There's no middle ground. Many who say they are for Him are not, as they believe in "another Jesus." These are such as are, "deceiving, and being deceived." As for the category of "atheist" - the Bible indicates contemporary atheism is willful ignorance (2 Peter 3:3-5). Because, otherwise, it is clear and knowable to men that God exists, being clearly understood from what has been made. Me, I was essentially an agnostic right until the time God put it in my heart to seek Him. Jesus Himself, during His earthly ministry, did remark that the prostitutes and tax collectors were entering the kingdom before the self-righteous, religious chief priests and elders. So it does not follow that just because someone calls himself an atheist, that he is further from the kingdom of God than a religious person. The opposite is quite possibly true, in many cases. Therefore, if by any means, I could explain why the Bible treats slavery the way it does, then I'm inclined to do that.

Yes, I can see that you and the atheists assembled here agree on a great many things. Nothing new there.

Again, what is the fruit of your labor? What good is it to wander around urging people to treat others cruelly in the name of "God"?

Ezekiel 36:26-8
26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within
you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will
give you an heart of flesh.
27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my
statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.
28 And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye
shall be my people, and I will be your God.

Isaiah 59:20-21
20 And the Redeemer shall come to Zion, and unto them that turn from
transgression in Jacob, saith the Lord.
21 As for me, this is my covenant with them, saith the Lord; My spirit
that is upon thee, and my words which I have put in thy mouth, shall not
depart out of thy mouth, nor out of the mouth of thy seed, nor out of the
mouth of thy seed's seed, saith the Lord, from henceforth and for ever.

See also:
Ezekiel 36:26-8, Isaiah 59:20-21, Jeremiah 24:6-7,
Jeremiah 31:33-34, Ezekiel 11:19, 1 Samuel 10:9,
2 Corinthians 1:21-22

If God can put his laws and commands into all men's hearts, why doesn't God do so? No, it is not because God values free will. Why does God as per Paul choose to make some people elect, others not, as Paul states, not according to our works.

Ephesisans 2
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Romans 11, Paul tells us God hardened the hearts of the Jews not to believe in Jesus as messiah. Why not make all Jews believe, why not indeed all l men and women?

If God decides to create Jane as elect and saved, and John as not elect and damned, is that fair, just, merciful and compassionate? Preordained from the beginning of the world.

Original sin you say? There is no original sin in Genesis. That is an invention of Paul. A real God that loves us, is just, fair, merciful and just would have eliminated original sin on day one, if such a thing existed, which is not found in Genesis anyway.

Christianity is a crock. Paul's theology is stupid. The verses I quoted that tell us God will put his laws into our innermost parts, our hearts means Christians cannot pull the old free will nonsense on us any more. Those verses demonstrate Paul's rancid theology is false and untrue, yet almost no Christians i have debated over the years know these verses or want to think about what they tell us about the false doctrines of Paul.

Yes, I can see that you and the atheists assembled here agree on a great many things. Nothing new there.

Again, what is the fruit of your labor? What good is it to wander around urging people to treat others cruelly in the name of "God"?

I don't urge any such thing. We are not to treat others cruelly but to love our neighbor as ourselves. I intend no political commentary on slavery. I only point out that the things which are eternal are infinitely more important than the present things of this world, whether pleasures or sufferings.

See also:

If God can put his laws and commands into all men's hearts, why doesn't God do so? No, it is not because God values free will. Why does God as per Paul choose to make some people elect, others not, as Paul states, not according to our works.

Ephesisans 2
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Romans 11, Paul tells us God hardened the hearts of the Jews not to believe in Jesus as messiah. Why not make all Jews believe, why not indeed all l men and women?

If God decides to create Jane as elect and saved, and John as not elect and damned, is that fair, just, merciful and compassionate? Preordained from the beginning of the world.

Original sin you say? There is no original sin in Genesis. That is an invention of Paul. A real God that loves us, is just, fair, merciful and just would have eliminated original sin on day one, if such a thing existed, which is not found in Genesis anyway.

Christianity is a crock. Paul's theology is stupid. The verses I quoted that tell us God will put his laws into our innermost parts, our hearts means Christians cannot pull the old free will nonsense on us any more. Those verses demonstrate Paul's rancid theology is false and untrue, yet almost no Christians i have debated over the years know these verses or want to think about what they tell us about the false doctrines of Paul.

Just because you don't like this doctrine doesn't mean it is untrue. To your objection, Paul asks in Rom 9:20-21, Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

But this is actually a separate issue from, for example, the Ezekiel passage you quoted, because God does not cause men to keep the law after the flesh, but after the Spirit. When the Scripture says, that we will walk in His statutes and keep His judgments and do them, this is the imputed righteousness of Christ, not infused righteousness.

I don't urge any such thing. We are not to treat others cruelly but to love our neighbor as ourselves. I intend no political commentary on slavery. I only point out that the things which are eternal are infinitely more important than the present things of this world, whether pleasures or sufferings.

See also:

Ephesisans 2

Just because you don't like this doctrine doesn't mean it is untrue. To your objection, Paul asks in Rom 9:20-21, Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

But this is actually a separate issue from, for example, the Ezekiel passage you quoted, because God does not cause men to keep the law after the flesh, but after the Spirit. When the Scripture says, that we will walk in His statutes and keep His judgments and do them, this is the imputed righteousness of Christ, not infused righteousness.

The Bible claims that God is merciful, compassionate, just and fair. This God that decides to for no good reason to hate some and love others, and treat men differently for no good reason is none of these sub-goodnesses of God claimed by the Bible, supposedly a revelation from God to us. It is not a case of me disliking these claims of Paul's theology than looking at how these claims are contradictory to the claimed goodness of God and shows God to be a failed proposition.

The verses of the prophets I quoted demonstrate this same supposed revelation of God that this God does not value free will at all, the usual excuse given by Christians as to why there is sin. Which itself ignores Paul's rancid theology.

And there are far deeper problems besides. We are Told, God created all. And that God is perfectly good. And is essentially omnipotent, knowing the future in full detail.

If so, if God decides to create a Universe, God must choose an initial state of creation. Once God creates that universe chosen, God will know how that Universe will unfold in full detail. If that Universe has a Genghis Khan, a Hitler, a Stalin, and Idi Amin, and all the moral evil that follows in their wake, all of that moral evil occurs because God decided to have all of that moral evil in the universe God creates. We have no free will at all. All moral evil in the Universe is God's fault. If God decides in his determinate Universe, Jane is good and saved, and John is evil, does evil and is damned forever in torment in Hell, this is not merciful, compassionate, fair, nor just.

The whole scheme of Christianity falls dead. And yet, Christians tell us, without Christianity, life has no meaning. Is there any meaning in this Universe where God is omniscient and creator of all, with all it's moral evil, and eternal hell?

Isaiah 41:22-3
22 Let them bring them forth, and shew us what shall happen: let them shew the
former things, what they be, that we may consider them, and know the latter end
of them; or declare us things for to come.
23 Shew the things that are to come hereafter, that we may know that ye are gods:
yea, do good, or do evil, that we may be dismayed, and behold it together.

Isaiah 42:9
"Behold, the former things have come to pass, Now I declare new
things; Before they spring forth I proclaim them to you."

See also:

Isaiah 41:22-3, Isaiah 42:9, Isaiah 44:6-7, Isaiah 46:10,
Jeremiah 1:5, Daniel 2:28, Exodus 3:19, Deuteronomy 31:21,
1 Samuel 23:10-13, Psalm 139:4-5 & 16, John 16:13, Acts 2:23,
Acts 3:18, Acts 4:27-28, Ephesians 1:11, Romans 8:29, Romans 11:2

Christianity makes no sense at all. and even though this is easy to understand if one actually reads the stupid Bible and use a little reason, rational thinking and logic, tens of millions cannot do that.

What meaning does life have in such a monstrous Universe? God loves us? Obviously not. Christianity is true? Obviously not. We all should read the Bible? I have, millions of Christians cannot read it and see these things clearly, nor understand them for what they are. I have and see that it is all nonsense.

And having pointed this out repeatedly over the years on the internet, I find that Christians rarely can think rationally, logically, and want me to be just as illogical, irrational, and unreasoning as they are. The true horror
of Christianity is how it turns many into unreasoning intellectual nihilists.

https://thechurchoftruth.org/god-jesus-condone-slavery/

The bible was used by whites to justify slavery. In the climate today of symbols of Confederate oppressions, it would seem like the bible should also be held up tp scrutiny.

From the link in the Op...
"The Bible contains not one mention of God’s desire to end slavery. Out of all the “thou shalt nots” and multitude of rules..."

But this is simply untrue.
The bible (God) says thou shall not steal.

Slavery is stealing a person's labor without payment. The economic greed which underpins slavery is condemned outright in countless verses throughout the bible.

Biblical references to ancient slavery are nether supportive or encouraging. There is no...laissez faire ambivalence to this SECULAR institution. And what you see in those verses is the word "IF". If there is slavery then...

"if the slave says...if a man sells his...if someone beats his slave..."

This is acknowledgement not "endorsement".

Harm minimisation - treating heroin addiction as a medical issue not a criminal issue - is not "condoning" heroin use. Jesus forgiving the woman caught in adultery does not imply that Jesus condoned her behaviour. When Jesus says there will always be poor people, He isnt endorsing poverty.

Where the New Testament mentions slavery (apart from Paul's preachy metaphoric use of the word) it is acknowledging the brute reality that slavery - in many varied forms - exists not because it is desirable but because it was and still is a part of life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweatshop

The bible was used by whites to justify slavery. In the climate today of symbols of Confederate oppressions, it would seem like the bible should also be held up tp scrutiny.

"The Bible contains not one mention of God’s desire to end slavery. Out of all the “thou shalt nots” and multitude of rules..."

Slavery is stealing a person's labor without payment. The economic greed which underpins slavery is condemned outright in countless verses throughout the bible.

Biblical references to ancient slavery are nether supportive or encouraging. There is no...laissez faire ambivalence to this SECULAR institution. And what you see in those verses is the word "IF". If there is slavery then...

Harm minimisation - treating heroin addiction as a medical issue not a criminal issue - is not "condoning" heroin use. Jesus forgiving the woman caught in adultery does not imply that Jesus condoned her behaviour. When Jesus says there will always be poor people, He isnt endorsing poverty.

Where the New Testament mentions slavery (apart from Paul's preachy metaphoric use of the word) it is acknowledging the brute reality that slavery - in many varied forms - exists not because it is desirable but because it was and still is a part of life.

There is a great deal of condemnation of actions that are "part of life" in the Old Testament and in the New Testament but, notably, there is no condemnation of slavery itself in either book, only condemnation of a few of the common abusive treatments of the slaves by some of the slave owners.

If you own a slave, being your property, you are not stealing their labour. Their labour, as with their body, belongs to you.

If you own a slave, being your property, you are not stealing their labour. Their labour, as with their body, belongs to you.

Except that's not in the bible.

Not once in Paul's epistles is slavery denounced. Nor by Jesus in the gospels.

Aristotle of Stageira (lived 384 – 322 BC) in his Politics 1.1253b, which has been translated here by H. Rackham:
“For some thinkers hold the function of the master to be a definite science, and moreover think that household management, mastership, statesmanship and monarchy are the same thing, as we said at the beginning of the treatise; others however maintain that for one man to be another man’s master is contrary to nature, because it is only convention that makes the one a slave and the other a freeman and there is no difference between them by nature, and that therefore it is unjust, for it is based on force.

Exodus 21:20 is supposedly Jehovah's words verbatim. The verse ends by saying, "for the slave is his money." The slave by definition is the money (goods, property) of the owner. Anyone who says to me that it's a settled matter that a slave is the property of the owner goes down in my judgment as approving of slavery. Most especially if I'm talking to a deity. A deity who could have told his human creations that slavery was depraved and that they must immediately free all of their slaves. Neither of these declarations is anywhere in the Bible. Jehovah got around to telling his people not to eat hoopoes, bats, and winged insects. Slavery? He put in some regulations.
You're not convinced? I don't care. It's pretty plain in the phrase "for the slave is his money."

The dictionary/semantic meaning of a word is not a biblical endorsement.
You're going have to try harder than that to convince me God approves of slavery.
...or slave traders and liars and perjurers

https://www.biblestudytools.com/1-timothy/1-10.html

The Bible provides explicit instruction on a wide variety of activities that humans should not engage in. Owning slaves is not one of those activities. The Bible provides explicit instructions on how slaveholders should treat their slaves, how they can be beaten, how their offspring should be dealt with and so on. Not once does the Bible say "DO NOT OWN SLAVES!".

The Bible endorses slavery. God endorses slavery. God endorses the use of violence and pain to allow slaveholders to control their slaves. It says so in the damn book, and no amount of hand-waving is going to make it go away.

Reactions: DBT
The dictionary/semantic meaning of a word is not a biblical endorsement.
You're going have to try harder than that to convince me God approves of slavery.
...or slave traders and liars and perjurers

https://www.biblestudytools.com/1-timothy/1-10.html

Failing to condemn the practice is a form of tacit support. A lack of condemnation, the instructions that slaves should obey their masters, all things according to the will of God, etc, builds a picture of a God that does not condemn slavery.

Here's the opposite of an argument from silence.
An unambiguous penalty for slave traders who kidnap.

Anyone who kidnaps someone is to be put to death, whether the victim has been sold or is still in the kidnapper’s possession.

The word victim here refers to the kidnapped person - involuntary slave.

Back
Top Bottom