• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Biblical Flood Caused An Ice Age

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
I don't know who's who in creation science but I heard this in passing on a radio show,

Heard this in a Chi stain show. 'Secular' science says there is evidence that there have been multiple ice ages, but they are wrong there has only been one. And it was caused by the biblical flood.

It goes something like this.

1. A delugue occurs.
2. Oceans re warmed.
3. More water and higher temp increases evaporation.
4. Most in the atmosphere reflects sunlight.
5. Erath cools.
6. All the moisture falls as snow and we get an ice age.

Michael J. Oard is a young Earth creationist who has written about flood geology, ice ages, and the extinction of woolly mammoths. Oard is a member of the board of the Creation Research Society.[1][2] According to Creation Ministries International, Oard "has published about 200 articles in the creationist technical literature" and has been involved in "fourteen published creationist books".[1]

Scientific credentials

B.S. Atmospheric Science, University of Washington. M.S., Atmospheric Science, University of Washington.[3] Retired Meteorologist at US National Weather Service.[2]

A tetament to unbounded human imagination.

According to two of the three leading hypotheses for the formation of the Black Sea, the great flood that inspired the biblical flood story could well have been caused by the ending of an ice age.

So, as usual, the bible bashers have everything completely backwards.
Some arguments have been made that it could have coincided with an impact event in Greenland that would have precipitated said ending of said ice age.

You would have to dig up the article though as I can't be arsed.

Could be a pattern.

BIBLE EVENT // MODERN-DAY RESULT

Eve's fall // Midol gelcaps & caplets

Noah's Ark (he was 600 yr.old alcoholic) // Senior Olympics;
2 p.m. Happy Hour in Sun City

Tower of Babel // My grade in 7th gr. French: C-

Onan // Concept of nonskid tires

Abraham & Isaac // The cigar clipper;
Children's Protective Services

Moses & Mt. Sinai // Every tacky courthouse monument ever

David & Goliath // Biker beanie helmet

Samson & Delilah // Money back guarantee at Sport Clips

One idea I heard is an individual and family possibly a trader on a barge on a river that got caught in a flood. Washed out to sea.

When there was that big quake and tsunami in the Indian Ocean an island coast was flooded. Post flood a reporter interviewed a native islander on camera. He said there was an old cultural story about god periodically washing the world clean with a flood. In the story was a warning that when water started to receede from the shore head for high ground, which he did.

Myth based in a forgotten past.

Here in Washington it is believed that the rich soil in Eastern Washington was deposited by a flood resulting from the breaching of an ice.dam

Now our understanding of when people reached the Americas—and where they came from—is expanding dramatically. The emerging picture suggests that humans may have arrived in North America at least 20,000 years ago—some 5,000 years earlier than has been commonly believed

Long ago, physicists pointed out water vapor condensing to rain water releases heat energy.
The amount of rain of Noah's flood would have released so much heat energy, the seas would have boiled. No ice age, obviously.

Long ago, physicists pointed out water vapor condensing to rain water releases heat energy.

Thats not making everything warmer though.
It's just reversing what that same energy did in moving water from one state to another - and from one place to another.

They call it the hydrological cycle for a reason.

The amount of rain of Noah's flood would have released so much heat energy, the seas would have boiled. No ice age, obviously.

The bible doesn't say either the amount of rain or that rain was the sole/primary source of flood water.

40 days ÷ rain x 106 minus the average diameter of mountain at sea level....

BODMAS-2-01-01-1024x985.png

Living in an area where floods are common, I can state that it doesn't have to rain on your head to find yourself up to your waist in water.

There are two things which can't be disputed. First, floods happen, second, people who have a boat fair better in a flood. There is no Deluvian Myth which is possible as narrated, beyond "there was a flood and this guy had a boat."

Debating someone who wants to cherry pick scientific data which they don't understand to support their accepted reality is silly and a plain waste of time.

There are ancient ruins at the bottom of seas, and there is a great volume of water above them. There earth is 71% covered in water, therefore the whole earth being flooded at one point is easier to propose the plausibility.

There are ancient ruins at the bottom of seas, and there is a great volume of water above them. There earth is 71% covered in water, therefore the whole earth being flooded at one point is easier to propose the plausibility.
Yup. If a person doesn't know much, and they refuse to attempt to learn, then everything and anything can seem plausible.

But if they did learn some basic physics, some geology, some history, and some geography, suddenly they would not only be able to see why it is absurd to think that the whole Earth could be flooded at once during the existence of humanity; But also they would understand why ancient ruins would be found deep underwater in some parts of the world, and why no divine intervention nor global inundation would be required in order for this to occur.

If a person is sufficienly ignorant, then they can be persuaded that literally anything is plausible. The defence against this is for them to learn stuff.

Perhaps you should try living up to your username.

Here in Washington it is believed that the rich soil in Eastern Washington was deposited by a flood resulting from the breaching of an ice.dam

That flood would have happened 65-70 million years ago in the late Cretaceous. It deposited the dinosaur remains that litter Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas. So it doesn’t exist in human memory, unlike the Black Sea flood, which was probably the basis for The Fludde.

I don’t have a lot of bucket list items, but some day I’d like to wander around the Dino beds in the Hell Creek formation …

Except that there is no evidence for it. The biblical flood is really what de-converted me. I took a geology class in college for the specific reason to find evidence for a biblical or global flood. The first thing that I learned was that floods really stick out. They are easy to find. And a global flood would be easy to identify. Especially one only 6,000 years ago.

Last edited:
There are ancient ruins at the bottom of seas, and there is a great volume of water above them.
Locate them Learner. They’re all in places that have experienced huge geological upheaval and subsidence in recent millennia.
There earth is 71% covered in water, therefore the whole earth being flooded at one point is easier to propose the plausibility.

Nope not unless the earth was utterly flat. If that was its state 6000 years ago, the transition to its current state would render it a molten ball of slag for thousands of years.
Look around. If earth isn’t molten on its surface, your ignorant conjecture can be safely rejected.

I took a geology class in college for the specific reason to find evidence for a biblical or global flood.

I have heard the discovery of the fact that the earth is millions of years old attributed to good honest Christian geologists searching for proof that the earth was 6000 years old.

Except that there is no evidence for it. The biblical flood is really what de-converted me. I took a geology class in college for the specific reason to find evidence for a biblical or global flood. The first thing that I learned was that floods really stick out. They are easy to find. And a global flood would be easy to identify. Especially one only 6,000 years ago.
Who needs evidence and knowledge and curiosity when one has faith?

Pardon me, I hear the Tooth Fairy in the kids' bedroom.

There are ancient ruins at the bottom of seas, and there is a great volume of water above them.
Locate them Learner. They’re all in places that have experienced huge geological upheaval and subsidence in recent millennia.
There earth is 71% covered in water, therefore the whole earth being flooded at one point is easier to propose the plausibility.

Nope not unless the earth was utterly flat. If that was its state 6000 years ago, the transition to its current state would render it a molten ball of slag for thousands of years.
Look around. If earth isn’t molten on its surface, your ignorant conjecture can be safely rejected.

I took a geology class in college for the specific reason to find evidence for a biblical or global flood.

I have heard the discovery of the fact that the earth is millions of years old attributed to good honest Christian geologists searching for proof that the earth was 6000 years old.

There is an excellent BBC 3 part series detailing the beginnings of geology and James Hutton, the founder of geology. Well worth the effort to watch. The death of the 6,000 year old Earth of Genesis.

Yup. If a person doesn't know much, and they refuse to attempt to learn, then everything and anything can seem plausible.
Yeah, pretty much says that about people that refuse to learn.Besides you got to apply that to the actual person who fits the description above because I don't actually think just anything is plausible.
But if they did learn some basic physics, some geology, some history, and some geography, suddenly they would not only be able to see why it is absurd to think that the whole Earth could be flooded at once during the existence of humanity;
I certainly wouldn't want to be one of those who's so sure of his 'professing to be wise"self either.
But also they would understand why ancient ruins would be found deep underwater in some parts of the world, and why no divine intervention nor global inundation would be required in order for this to occur.
Fortunately I am aware of the theories of some of these ancient ruins. (What is it you understand about them?)

Huh? No devine intervention is required for a 'global inundation' to occur..anyway?

If a person is sufficienly ignorant, then they can be persuaded that literally anything is plausible. The defence against this is for them to learn stuff.

Perhaps you should try living up to your username.
The good thing as I mentioned, is that I don't think just anything is plausible. The earth being 71% flooded, shall we say then - here at least we can observe that.

(Learner has been learning the bible too...like I do many other things that's interesting).

So I can understand your understanding.

Are you saying these geological upheavals "caused' the great volume of water that's covering the earth to appear as they exist now?

or

Do you mean that the oceans today have always existed at the levels it exists now - and those ruins were once above the current sea level, then later at some point in time, the large land mass that the ruins were built on....sank?

or

Do you mean that those ancient ruins were built during the great ice age before the ice melted?

Above are some of theories I am not ignorant about.

Are there any who exist think otherwise?

( Interestingly, I sometimes used to ponder the thought: That there doesn't seem to be anyone proposing an in-between dating from the two opposite extremes- between millions of years or 6000 years. It could be either Christian or Secularist making the proposition).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom