• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Case For Christ - A defence of Lee Strobel's 1998 apologetic book

"Interpretation"? What do you mean?

What you think the scripture read as, and what I think the scripture read as.

You replied to my opinion of the high priests that they knew more about their religion than me. It seemed in this way, to give the impression, your opinion of the high priests is quite correct and the high priests would agree with you.

As did I, but why are you limiting it to just 53?

But yes as you mention here :

"the High Priests (the holiest of holies and anointed ones) *knew that Jesus was their Messiah (debatable)* --the one their religion teaches them will one day come from Jehovah to kill all of the enemies of the Jews and those who are not holy/anointed in preparation for their God's arrival in Israel to forever rule the Universe from His throne amongst His chosen people--" This maybe all they were looking for.

I said "if" the High Priests somehow knew and what do you mean "all they were looking for"?
I said "maybe" ...this is all they were looking for (expecting). I was just highlighting the significance of Is 53:

It is a safe bet that the High Priests of all Judea--some two thousands years ago--knew precisely what was in Isaiah and what their own prophets prophesied, but if they did not know, then why would they care at all about a homeless carpenter Rabbi preaching anything at all, let alone the exact same non-orthodox teachings as hundreds of others were teaching at that time as well?

You know ? I don't doubt there may have been the odd one or two ,who knew. Let's say from one individual's perspective ; they were at odds with what the others were doing , not brave enough to say He is the Messiah. Thinking this is not a good idea to do harm to Jesus and would probably have said to the elder of the priests with the troubled feeling "I QUIT!"... or made some other excuse to leave the group. There may also be the odd few that did know ,by noticing the comparisons of Jesus and Is 53: . Although by not "fearing" any wrath reprisals from God may be down to their "self-delusion" or they " misinterpret" the prophecies in Isaiah. And others who had no idea but with the rest ,were piling on the list of grudges on this man for calling them out.

How--exactly--does the political power of, say, Pope Francis and the Holy See (i.e., the Catholic equivalent of the Sanhedrin today) get in any way challenged by some homeless guy standing on a street corner in Rome--hell, in the Vatican courtyard if you prefer--shouting about the sins of opulence and excess of Catholicism and the like? Careful--once again--about Isaiah 53:3.

How indeed ... a homeless guy. However Jesus ... is another level.

Ooh boy. Ok, first, I am not making them out to be anything; I am pointing out that the idea of the "power mad" theory (which is what you were in essence proposing and what is implicit in the gospels) is ridiculous. The theory is that the High Priests knew that Jesus was in fact their messiah, so they conspired with Pilate to kill him, because they didn't want to lose their jobs/political power/corruption racket.

The political power I was talking about was between the Pharisees and the High priests. We just happened to stay on the high priests for the last few posts. The Pharisees eventually won out, becoming the dominant Jewish sect. There are no more priests sects (sadducees etc..)

Secondly, if, as you say, they were more intelligent than that, then you would be in agreement with me that the theory is nonsense. But without that theory, then there is no reason for the Sanhedrin to conspire with their enemy--Pilate--to try and convince him to kill Jesus. That would--again--include the "lesser" notion that the Sanhedrin did not think Jesus was a divine being--i.e., not their messiah--but just an extremely popular Rabbi preaching non-orthodoxy and therefore the Sanhedrin considered him a threat to their political power.

I can mostly agree here. Jesus would no doubt have an effect on both pharisees and high priest's political status.

Again, not only does that not make any sense (see the Pope analogy above), it would also contradict Isaiah 53 in regard to YOUR other argument (i.e., that Jesus was the person Isaiah was talking about in I 53).

Clear now? There are two issues here that you are conflating. 1) is the power-mad theory behind the Sanhedrin inexplicably wanting to conspire with Pilate to kill Jesus and 2) is the fact that if it were in any way true (messiah or no messiah), it necessarily would mean that Jesus was not as Isaiah prophesied; i.e, that he was not, "despised and rejected by mankind" or held "in low esteem" and that he did, in fact, have a "beauty or majesty to attract us to him" (if you take that part figuratively and not in the literal context as it clearly is in Isaiah).
1. is sort of covered in previous above. 2. I disagree with your figuratively. No beauty or majesty means He was "physically ordinary in appearance. Opposite to the superheroes (attractive and majestic) we "like" to see, demi-gods, comic book heroes and bad-is-trendy movies etc..

So, no matter how you slice it, Isaiah 53 in particular (or any part of Isaiah in general) could not be describing Jesus and the Sanhedrin had no reason to conspire with Pilate to kill Jesus.

You mentioned others were described that way in Isaiah:. Who are they and where is it mentioned? It seems the Sanhedrin didn't think those others were the Messiah either. Is there "still " an expectation this would be fullfilled (other than Jesus did) ? This will be quite difficult , when the prophecies are concerned (biblical).

It doesn't matter who comes after...Jesus beats everyone to the post, so to speak. The first man to be acknowledged IS the man in Isaiah. The prophecy regards ONE person not one taken from others that follow after in the same way.
(for lack of better phrasing and sleep).

Last edited:
Too bad lion doesn't actually seem to want to engage in rational discussions as he does seem pretty smart.

He's very clearly disingenuous in that regard at best; an intellectual coward at worst. Much like Strobel, ironically. They both exhibit signs of being closet atheists, desperately trying to convince themselves that magic exists. Faith requires no rational thought, so the whole endeavor to concoct a bullshit artifice of "evidence" as Strobel (and all apologists) attempt just reeks of desperate atheistophobia, if you will.

Faith is, in fact, the antithesis of rational thought and deliberately so. Indeed, there are many many many passages in the NT that admonish against any such rational thinking. Paul in 1 Corinthians in particular (even though he suspiciously quoted Isaiah incorrectly).

Hang on, this is a basic matter of controversy - contested claims.

I'm as interested in knowing whether Blomberg is right or wrong as funinspace is in drawing the matter to my attention.

Clearly Blomberg (via Strobel) is technically correct to say that the extant biographical accounts of Jesus' life predate those of Alexander the Great. Nowhere do they claim that the historicity of Alexander the Great is less accurate than that of Jesus.

Glad you're contrubuting to the thread :hobbyhorse:

Did you read the celsus blog article which funinspace linked?

What you think the scripture read as, and what I think the scripture read as.

Except that, we weren't--or, rather, I wasn't--talking about scripture in regard to what actual High Priests would (or would not) know about in regard to their own religion.

You replied to my opinion of the high priests that they knew more about their religion than me. It seemed in this way, to give the impression, your opinion of the high priests is quite correct and the high priests would agree with you.

Agree with me that High Priests would know better than either of us about their own religion? I didn't think that would be a controversial statement.

It is a safe bet that the High Priests of all Judea--some two thousands years ago--knew precisely what was in Isaiah and what their own prophets prophesied, but if they did not know, then why would they care at all about a homeless carpenter Rabbi preaching anything at all, let alone the exact same non-orthodox teachings as hundreds of others were teaching at that time as well?

You know ? I don't doubt there may have been the odd one or two ,who knew.

Who "knew" that Jesus was a supernatural messiah sent from Jehovah? And how would they know such a thing? Again, in no way did Jesus fit anything in Isaiah 53. He was not afflicted (i.e., disfigured) in any way; he was not despised or held in low esteem (again, quite the contrary); he certainly did not keep his mouth shut, no matter whether you think that was just about complaining (what was the Sermon on the Mount if not one long list of complaints, if only tacit?); etc.

But, fine, for the sake of argument, let's pretend that one or two members of the Sanhedrin (SH from now on) just somehow knew the Jesus was one of their long-awaited moschiachs (there were several, btw, not just one). So what?

Let's say from one individual's perspective ; they were at odds with what the others were doing , not brave enough to say He is the Messiah.

Not "brave" enough? What do you mean? Why would bravery have anything to do with it? You need to stop assuming that any of these people would have anything at all to fear. Do YOU fear your messiah? No, you love him and can't wait for him to return. The exact same thing would be true of any Jew.

Again, no one thinks they are unworthy and therefore they must try to kill divine beings. Christianity, in general, teaches that humans are born "wicked" ("sinful") and that their only redemption is "through" (whatever that means) Jesus just as Judaism teaches that when their messiah comes, it will mean a new paradise. So why wouldn't every Christian--born wicked and sinful and evil and unworthy and more than likely going to burn in hell--likewise think, "As soon as Jesus comes back, I'm going to have to kill him so that I don't lose my station in life and burn in hell"?

If it makes no sense for a Christian, then it makes no sense for a Jew either. So if any of the SH somehow knew that Jesus was Elijah/Immanuel, they would have rejoiced and danced and sang at his arrival, as, again, it would have meant that they--all Jews--would be immediately delivered from their enemies and exalted and that peace and harmony and love and all that other stuff would be the new normal, etc.

Whether you understand it or not, the notion that any of the SH would look upon their own messiah as a threat to their power/position is an extremely anti-semitic notion. It's how a non-Jew (aka, a Roman) would have viewed Jews.

It's just like the money-changers that Jesus was supposedly angry with. Exchanging money was a necessary service, as people would come from miles away to go to the Temple and therefore carried with them coins of the realm, i.e., Roman currency and the like, that typically had what Jews considered "graven images" on their coins. Those graven images (pictures of Caesar, for example) would desecrate the Temple, so no Jew would get upset that there existed a service--even if it charged a fee for services--to exchange out any such coins.

Going into the Temple was, of course, voluntary. So if you did not know the rule against desecration, there was still a way for you to enter the Temple. All Jews would know this and it would be as controversial to them as, say, exchanging US dollars for Canadian (or any other country's currency) at the border. Less so, in fact, since, again, it would only apply to anyone who wanted to go into the Temple exclusively and not for other "tourists" who just wanted to see Jerusalem or the like.

The point being, that, again to a non-Jew that may seem scandalous, but to every Jew in Judea (which would have included Jesus, of course), the notion of charging a small service fee for exchanging out coins with graven images of them in order to maintain the sanctity of the Temple would never in a million years cause any kind of angry outburst.

Again, there's that anti-semitism subtly at work, because to someone else--a non-Jew--seeing something like that? They charge their people money to go into the Temple!!?? Well, no, they did not. If anything, they charged a small exchange fee, again just like anyone does who travels to another country.

The point being, context matters.

Thinking this is not a good idea to do harm to Jesus

You've got the cart before the horse. Again, if Jesus were just some homeless carpenter Rabbi standing on the street corner shouting anti-orthodoxy, the SH wouldn't give two shits about him. There were MANY people doing the same thing all over the place, not to mention entire sects of Jews--like the Essenes and the Sadducees--who were openly anti-orthodox.

If there is any "good" stereotype, it is that of Jews of all different stripes endlessly and openly disagreeing and arguing over the exact meanings of every phrase/word in the Torah, from the highest of the High Priests to the lowest of the low servants or slaves. The fact that anyone existed that challenged orthodoxy and/or the status quo was somehow seen as a threat to the political clout/power of the SH is, once again, a non-Jewish perspective on things.

There were some four thousand Essenes alone in Jerusalem at that time who openly preached anti-orthodoxy (or, rather, a radically different form of orthodoxy, one might say, which amounts to the same thing), so again, the idea that one homeless carpenter squeaking on a corner somewhere in "downtown" Jerusalem would even be on the SH's radar in any capacity is ludicrous.

Which is where the notion that it was actually Jesus' popularity that was at the heart of the SH's irrational fear/hatred of him. But, once again, if that were the case--that Jesus was so massively popular among a large percentage of the Jews in Jerusalem (which is what he'd have to be in order for them to feel in any way threatened by him in order to want to murder him)--then he couldn't possibly have been the person Isaiah is talking about in I 53.

and would probably have said to the elder of the priests with the troubled feeling "I QUIT!"... or made some other excuse to leave the group.

Again, why? If for some inexplicable reason the other members wished to inflict harm on a homeless carpenter Rabbi for no reason--and some other members thought this guy was their divine savior/messiah--why would any of those people quit the group and not instead warn the others and stay to fight for their beliefs or simply watch as Jehovah smites them all? THEY wouldn't be in any harm's way from Jehovah for doing so! Quite the opposite in fact.

There may also be the odd few that did know ,by noticing the comparisons of Jesus and Is 53

Again, how? It isn't applicable no matter how you look at Jesus' life, particularly while he was still alive, since the majority of the description in I 53 would only remotely be applicable only after Jesus was (allegedly) killed. Iow, only after certain things the SH allegedly set in motion, not during and certainly not before for all the reasons given.

Although by not "fearing" any wrath reprisals from God may be down to their "self-delusion" or they " misinterpret" the prophecies in Isaiah.

Yeah, well, "Thou shalt not kill" and "Thou shalt not bear false witness" were still the bigger hits on their hit parade, so, no, they would have been under no delusion they could somehow fool Jehovah by trying to kill an innocent man, let alone one that some among them claimed was their messiah.

Again, you're (presumably) a Christian, right? And not even a High Priest, I further presume. Do you think YOU would not need to fear any reprisals from your God if you murdered or conspired to murder an innocent man just because he was more popular than you?

Sorry, Learner, but no matter how you slice it, it makes no sense and, at best, proves that Jesus could not have been the person Isaiah describes in 53, let alone anywhere else.

How--exactly--does the political power of, say, Pope Francis and the Holy See (i.e., the Catholic equivalent of the Sanhedrin today) get in any way challenged by some homeless guy standing on a street corner in Rome--hell, in the Vatican courtyard if you prefer--shouting about the sins of opulence and excess of Catholicism and the like? Careful--once again--about Isaiah 53:3.

Again, no, unless you are arguing that Jesus was massively popular; so popular in fact that he somehow directly challenged the ruling authority of the SH. Think about what that would entail. Estimates vary, but at that time, there were between 3,000,000 to 5,000,000 Jews in the world. In Jerusalem alone (pre-70 war and in a daily basis sense), the estimates are around 70,000 to 80,000.

The SH were, of course, the most exalted and highest of the high; like our Supreme Court, except there were 71 of them. Yes, 71. So for any of them to feel in any way threatened from just the Jews that lived in Jerusalem on a regular, daily basis, then Jesus would have needed to be not just popular, but so popular that a good 50-60% of Jews would be openly willing to back him in some political way (or seditionist way) against the SH (as positions were evidently appointed from the following sources: "former High Priests, representatives of the 24 priestly castes, scribes, doctors of the law, and representatives of the most prominent families.")

So, once again, in order for any of the seventy one members of the SH to feel in any way intimidated by a homeless carpenter rabbi preaching what thousands of Essenes and any other nutcase was spouting on a street corner at the time, it would necessarily have had to have meant that this person had tremendous sway over the minds of some forty to fifty thousand Jews in Jerusalem alone and some one to two million Jews world wide (for the time).

And then the threat would only be dire enough to act against him iff [sic] Jesus had been inciting those tens of thousands of devote, fanatical Jews to rise up against the SH and overthrow them or kill them and instead do....what exactly? Put Jesus in charge of everything? He wasn't preaching anything of the kind, if the gospels are to be believed. He was preaching exaclty the opposite in fact. Be meek and you inherit the earth. Rejoice in your suffering because it means you're blessed. Turn the other cheek when struck. Don't risk going before the courts. Etc., etc., etc.

So even if he were massively popular, it still wouldn't constitute any kind of threat to the political clout/power of the 71 members of the Jewish Supreme Court any more than if Kanye West were to instruct all of his fans to riot against the US Supreme Court. It just didn't work that way.

Which, once again, would conclusively prove that Jesus could not have been the person Isaiah was describing in I 53 (or elsewhere). You can't have it both ways. Either no one held Jesus in high esteem, in which case the SH had zero reason to fear him or he was held in such high esteem that the SH feared him, but then he couldn't be the one Isaiah prophesied.

Ooh boy. Ok, first, I am not making them out to be anything; I am pointing out that the idea of the "power mad" theory (which is what you were in essence proposing and what is implicit in the gospels) is ridiculous. The theory is that the High Priests knew that Jesus was in fact their messiah, so they conspired with Pilate to kill him, because they didn't want to lose their jobs/political power/corruption racket.

The political power I was talking about was between the Pharisees and the High priests. We just happened to stay on the high priests for the last few posts. The Pharisees eventually won out, becoming the dominant Jewish sect. There are no more priests sects (sadducees etc..)

Irrelevant to the point.

Secondly, if, as you say, they were more intelligent than that, then you would be in agreement with me that the theory is nonsense. But without that theory, then there is no reason for the Sanhedrin to conspire with their enemy--Pilate--to try and convince him to kill Jesus. That would--again--include the "lesser" notion that the Sanhedrin did not think Jesus was a divine being--i.e., not their messiah--but just an extremely popular Rabbi preaching non-orthodoxy and therefore the Sanhedrin considered him a threat to their political power.

I can mostly agree here. Jesus would no doubt have an effect on both pharisees and high priest's political status.

Then, once again, he could not have been who Isaiah was talking about in 53 (or elsewhere).

I disagree with your figuratively. No beauty or majesty means He was "physically ordinary in appearance.

No, it couldn't as you are conveniently omitting certain qualifiers (emphasis mine):

He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.
3 He was despised and rejected by mankind,
a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.
Like one from whom people hide their faces
he was despised, and we held him in low esteem

4 Surely he took up our pain
and bore our suffering,
yet we considered him punished by God,
stricken by him, and afflicted

He was oppressed and afflicted

This is very clearly describing physical afflictions. And, of course, there's the fact that I 53 is not in isolation. The storyline of the "suffering servant" actually begins with I 52 (and Jews consider it to be in reference to Israel, not a person at all and certainly not their moschiach). There we have (emphasis mine):

The Suffering and Glory of the Servant

13 See, my servant will act wisely;
he will be raised and lifted up and highly exalted.
14 Just as there were many who were appalled at him—
his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any human being
and his form marred beyond human likeness

15 so he will sprinkle many nations,
and kings will shut their mouths because of him.
For what they were not told, they will see,
and what they have not heard, they will understand.

But, of course, cherry-picking has its advantages, so you don't consider I 52 to be connected to I 53, but a simple demonstration proves it:

See, my servant will act wisely;
Just as there were many who were appalled at him—
and his form marred beyond human likeness—
so he will sprinkle many nations,
Who has believed our message
and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?
He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
and like a root out of dry ground.
He was despised and rejected by mankind,
he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.
Surely he took up our pain
and bore our suffering,
stricken by him, and afflicted.

Etc. Again, everything there directly contradicts the power-mad theory. Jesus could not possibly have been "despised" and held in "low esteem" AND been immensely popular and held in the highest esteem to the point where 71 members of the Jewish Supreme Court feared his popularity against them.

Again, you can't have it both ways. You keep trying to, of course, but then that's the problem. Pull one thread...

So, no matter how you slice it, Isaiah 53 in particular (or any part of Isaiah in general) could not be describing Jesus and the Sanhedrin had no reason to conspire with Pilate to kill Jesus.

You mentioned others were described that way in Isaiah:. Who are they and where is it mentioned?

The other is the actual messiah Isaiah is referring to. Again, 53 is just a continuation of 52, which is, in turn, a continuation of 51, which is in turn a continuation from as far back as 41. It's all explained very succinctly here here.

It doesn't matter who comes after

It most certainly does to just about every one of the millions of Jews left in the world.

Jesus beats everyone to the post, so to speak.

Nope. There is not a single Jewish prophecy that applies to Jesus. I know you think there is (and have been repeatedly lied to that there is), but just as I have done here, every single one of such claims is easily and readily disproven, most notably from the simple fact that nothing Isaiah prophesied about what would happen when the messiah came happened when Jesus came.

The first mention of any kind of "messiah" in Isaiah is in 4 with the "Branch of the Lord":

2 In that day the Branch of the Lord will be beautiful and glorious, and the fruit of the land will be the pride and glory of the survivors in Israel. 3 Those who are left in Zion, who remain in Jerusalem, will be called holy, all who are recorded among the living in Jerusalem. 4 The Lord will wash away the filth of the women of Zion; he will cleanse the bloodstains from Jerusalem by a spirit of judgment and a spirit of fire. 5 Then the Lord will create over all of Mount Zion and over those who assemble there a cloud of smoke by day and a glow of flaming fire by night; over everything the glory will be a canopy. 6 It will be a shelter and shade from the heat of the day, and a refuge and hiding place from the storm and rain.

None of that happened when Jesus arrived in Jerusalem. Not even figuratively, let alone literally.

Then in I 5, we have a song presumably about God's "vineyard":

I will sing for the one I love
a song about his vineyard:
My loved one had a vineyard
on a fertile hillside.
2 He dug it up and cleared it of stones
and planted it with the choicest vines.
He built a watchtower in it
and cut out a winepress as well.
Then he looked for a crop of good grapes,
but it yielded only bad fruit.

3 “Now you dwellers in Jerusalem and people of Judah,
judge between me and my vineyard.

Is that the messiah? No, because a little later it clearly states:

The vineyard of the Lord Almighty
is the nation of Israel,
and the people of Judah
are the vines he delighted in.

And the rest of 5 is about how God (not his messiah, but God) is going to do a whole lot of "woe" to everyone.

Then we have in 6 Isaiah's "commission" from God:

6 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple. 2 Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying.
8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

9 He said, “Go and tell this people:

“‘Be ever hearing, but never understanding;
be ever seeing, but never perceiving.’
10 Make the heart of this people calloused;
make their ears dull
and close their eyes.[a]
Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
hear with their ears,
understand with their hearts,
and turn and be healed.”

11 Then I said, “For how long, Lord?”

And he answered:

“Until the cities lie ruined
and without inhabitant,
until the houses are left deserted
and the fields ruined and ravaged,
12 until the Lord has sent everyone far away
and the land is utterly forsaken.
13 And though a tenth remains in the land,
it will again be laid waste.
But as the terebinth and oak
leave stumps when they are cut down,
so the holy seed will be the stump in the land.”

And that then takes us to 7, aka, "The Sign of Immanuel."

13 Then Isaiah said, “Hear now, you house of David! Is it not enough to try the patience of humans? Will you try the patience of my God also? 14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you[c] a sign: The virgin[d] will conceive and give birth to a son, and[e] will call him Immanuel.[f] 15 He will be eating curds and honey when he knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right, 16 for before the boy knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right, the land of the two kings you dread will be laid waste. 17 The Lord will bring on you and on your people and on the house of your father a time unlike any since Ephraim broke away from Judah—he will bring the king of Assyria.”

Assyria, the Lord’s Instrument

18 In that day the Lord will whistle for flies from the Nile delta in Egypt and for bees from the land of Assyria. 19 They will all come and settle in the steep ravines and in the crevices in the rocks, on all the thornbushes and at all the water holes. 20 In that day the Lord will use a razor hired from beyond the Euphrates River—the king of Assyria—to shave your head and private parts, and to cut off your beard also. 21 In that day, a person will keep alive a young cow and two goats. 22 And because of the abundance of the milk they give, there will be curds to eat. All who remain in the land will eat curds and honey. 23 In that day, in every place where there were a thousand vines worth a thousand silver shekels,[g] there will be only briers and thorns. 24 Hunters will go there with bow and arrow, for the land will be covered with briers and thorns. 25 As for all the hills once cultivated by the hoe, you will no longer go there for fear of the briers and thorns; they will become places where cattle are turned loose and where sheep run.

So, yeah, flies and bees and a guy keeping a cow and two goats that somehow will have such abundant milk that it will fee all of Jerusalem or Assyria or something and briers and thorns! Lot's and lot's of briers and thorns.

And then 8:

5 The Lord spoke to me again:

6 “Because this people has rejected
the gently flowing waters of Shiloah
and rejoices over Rezin
and the son of Remaliah,
7 therefore the Lord is about to bring against them
the mighty floodwaters of the Euphrates—
the king of Assyria with all his pomp.
It will overflow all its channels,
run over all its banks
8 and sweep on into Judah, swirling over it,
passing through it and reaching up to the neck.
Its outspread wings will cover the breadth of your land,
Immanuel!”

9 Raise the war cry,[c] you nations, and be shattered!
Listen, all you distant lands.
Prepare for battle, and be shattered!
10 Devise your strategy, but it will be thwarted;
propose your plan, but it will not stand,
for God is with us.[d]

Again, none of that happened. And shit gets really real in 9:

For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
7 Of the greatness of his government and peace
there will be no end.
He will reign on David’s throne
and over his kingdom,
establishing and upholding it
with justice and righteousness
from that time on and forever.
The zeal of the Lord Almighty
will accomplish this.

It didn't. At all. Nor the rest:

The Lord’s Anger Against Israel

8 The Lord has sent a message against Jacob;
it will fall on Israel.
9 All the people will know it—
Ephraim and the inhabitants of Samaria—
who say with pride
and arrogance of heart,
10 “The bricks have fallen down,
but we will rebuild with dressed stone;
the fig trees have been felled,
but we will replace them with cedars.”
11 But the Lord has strengthened Rezin’s foes against them
and has spurred their enemies on.
12 Arameans from the east and Philistines from the west
have devoured Israel with open mouth.

Yet for all this, his anger is not turned away,
his hand is still upraised.

13 But the people have not returned to him who struck them,
nor have they sought the Lord Almighty.
14 So the Lord will cut off from Israel both head and tail,
both palm branch and reed in a single day;
15 the elders and dignitaries are the head,
the prophets who teach lies are the tail.
16 Those who guide this people mislead them,
and those who are guided are led astray.
17 Therefore the Lord will take no pleasure in the young men,
nor will he pity the fatherless and widows,
for everyone is ungodly and wicked,
every mouth speaks folly.

18 Surely wickedness burns like a fire;
it consumes briers and thorns,
it sets the forest thickets ablaze,
so that it rolls upward in a column of smoke.
19 By the wrath of the Lord Almighty
the land will be scorched
and the people will be fuel for the fire;
they will not spare one another.
20 On the right they will devour,
but still be hungry;
on the left they will eat,
but not be satisfied.
Each will feed on the flesh of their own offspring:
21 Manasseh will feed on Ephraim, and Ephraim on Manasseh;
together they will turn against Judah.

Then in 10 it gets even weirder with mention of both a "Holy One" and a "Mighty One." And then, of course, we have 11, with the "Branch of Jesse" that so many apologists try to apply to Jesus:

A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse;
from his roots a Branch will bear fruit.
2 The Spirit of the Lord will rest on him—
the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding,
the Spirit of counsel and of might,
the Spirit of the knowledge and fear of the Lord—
3 and he will delight in the fear of the Lord.

He will not judge by what he sees with his eyes,
or decide by what he hears with his ears;
4 but with righteousness he will judge the needy,
with justice he will give decisions for the poor of the earth.
He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth;
with the breath of his lips he will slay the wicked.
5 Righteousness will be his belt
and faithfulness the sash around his waist.

Seems good, right? Trouble is:

The wolf will live with the lamb,
the leopard will lie down with the goat,
the calf and the lion and the yearling[a] together;
and a little child will lead them.
7 The cow will feed with the bear,
their young will lie down together,
and the lion will eat straw like the ox.
8 The infant will play near the cobra’s den,
and the young child will put its hand into the viper’s nest.
9 They will neither harm nor destroy
on all my holy mountain,
for the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the Lord
as the waters cover the sea.

10 In that day the Root of Jesse will stand as a banner for the peoples; the nations will rally to him, and his resting place will be glorious.

Never happened.

Which is why some cult apologists try to claim that this is in regard to the second coming Jesus (as if Jesus/God fucked everything up the first time and needed a do-over). And it also means that anything after--that says "in that day"--is likewise not applicable to the "first" time Jesus came. But the problem is, where is it mentioned about a "first time"? There is no mention of a "first coming." Unless we just inexplicably consider the previously mentioned "branch" NOT the "branch of Jesse" and the "Holy One" and the "Mighty One" and basically anything prior to Isaiah 11 not applicable to Jesus and Jesus is only the "Branch of Jesse" starting with 11.

And so on.

Last edited:
Except that, we weren't--or, rather, I wasn't--talking about scripture in regard to what actual High Priests would (or would not) know about in regard to their own religion.

You seem to post a lot "defending" a POV on someone else's behalf , if not you i.e giving your (plural) explanations or counter-explanations for the biblical quotes you and I posted.

Agree with me that High Priests would know better than either of us about their own religion? I didn't think that would be a controversial statement.

I have no probs with it. I thought you used it in a different context.

(bear with me have tons of jobs to sort out)

You know ? I don't doubt there may have been the odd one or two ,who knew.

Who "knew" that Jesus was a supernatural messiah sent from Jehovah? And how would they know such a thing? Again, in no way did Jesus fit anything in Isaiah 53. He was not afflicted (i.e., disfigured) in any way; he was not despised or held in low esteem (again, quite the contrary); he certainly did not keep his mouth shut, no matter whether you think that was just about complaining (what was the Sermon on the Mount if not one long list of complaints, if only tacit?); etc.

But, fine, for the sake of argument, let's pretend that one or two members of the Sanhedrin (SH from now on) just somehow knew the Jesus was one of their long-awaited moschiachs (there were several, btw, not just one). So what?

Let's say from one individual's perspective ; they were at odds with what the others were doing , not brave enough to say He is the Messiah.

Not "brave" enough? What do you mean? Why would bravery have anything to do with it? You need to stop assuming that any of these people would have anything at all to fear. Do YOU fear your messiah? No, you love him and can't wait for him to return. The exact same thing would be true of any Jew.

Again, no one thinks they are unworthy and therefore they must try to kill divine beings. Christianity, in general, teaches that humans are born "wicked" ("sinful") and that their only redemption is "through" (whatever that means) Jesus just as Judaism teaches that when their messiah comes, it will mean a new paradise. So why wouldn't every Christian--born wicked and sinful and evil and unworthy and more than likely going to burn in hell--likewise think, "As soon as Jesus comes back, I'm going to have to kill him so that I don't lose my station in life and burn in hell"?

If it makes no sense for a Christian, then it makes no sense for a Jew either. So if any of the SH somehow knew that Jesus was Elijah/Immanuel, they would have rejoiced and danced and sang at his arrival, as, again, it would have meant that they--all Jews--would be immediately delivered from their enemies and exalted and that peace and harmony and love and all that other stuff would be the new normal, etc.

Whether you understand it or not, the notion that any of the SH would look upon their own messiah as a threat to their power/position is an extremely anti-semitic notion. It's how a non-Jew (aka, a Roman) would have viewed Jews.

It's just like the money-changers that Jesus was supposedly angry with. Exchanging money was a necessary service, as people would come from miles away to go to the Temple and therefore carried with them coins of the realm, i.e., Roman currency and the like, that typically had what Jews considered "graven images" on their coins. Those graven images (pictures of Caesar, for example) would desecrate the Temple, so no Jew would get upset that there existed a service--even if it charged a fee for services--to exchange out any such coins.

Going into the Temple was, of course, voluntary. So if you did not know the rule against desecration, there was still a way for you to enter the Temple. All Jews would know this and it would be as controversial to them as, say, exchanging US dollars for Canadian (or any other country's currency) at the border. Less so, in fact, since, again, it would only apply to anyone who wanted to go into the Temple exclusively and not for other "tourists" who just wanted to see Jerusalem or the like.

The point being, that, again to a non-Jew that may seem scandalous, but to every Jew in Judea (which would have included Jesus, of course), the notion of charging a small service fee for exchanging out coins with graven images of them in order to maintain the sanctity of the Temple would never in a million years cause any kind of angry outburst.

Again, there's that anti-semitism subtly at work, because to someone else--a non-Jew--seeing something like that? They charge their people money to go into the Temple!!?? Well, no, they did not. If anything, they charged a small exchange fee, again just like anyone does who travels to another country.

You've got the cart before the horse. Again, if Jesus were just some homeless carpenter Rabbi standing on the street corner shouting anti-orthodoxy, the SH wouldn't give two shits about him. There were MANY people doing the same thing all over the place, not to mention entire sects of Jews--like the Essenes and the Sadducees--who were openly anti-orthodox.

If there is any "good" stereotype, it is that of Jews of all different stripes endlessly and openly disagreeing and arguing over the exact meanings of every phrase/word in the Torah, from the highest of the High Priests to the lowest of the low servants or slaves. The fact that anyone existed that challenged orthodoxy and/or the status quo was somehow seen as a threat to the political clout/power of the SH is, once again, a non-Jewish perspective on things.

There were some four thousand Essenes alone in Jerusalem at that time who openly preached anti-orthodoxy (or, rather, a radically different form of orthodoxy, one might say, which amounts to the same thing), so again, the idea that one homeless carpenter squeaking on a corner somewhere in "downtown" Jerusalem would even be on the SH's radar in any capacity is ludicrous.

Which is where the notion that it was actually Jesus' popularity that was at the heart of the SH's irrational fear/hatred of him. But, once again, if that were the case--that Jesus was so massively popular among a large percentage of the Jews in Jerusalem (which is what he'd have to be in order for them to feel in any way threatened by him in order to want to murder him)--then he couldn't possibly have been the person Isaiah is talking about in I 53.

and would probably have said to the elder of the priests with the troubled feeling "I QUIT!"... or made some other excuse to leave the group.

Again, why? If for some inexplicable reason the other members wished to inflict harm on a homeless carpenter Rabbi for no reason--and some other members thought this guy was their divine savior/messiah--why would any of those people quit the group and not instead warn the others and stay to fight for their beliefs or simply watch as Jehovah smites them all? THEY wouldn't be in any harm's way from Jehovah for doing so! Quite the opposite in fact.

There may also be the odd few that did know ,by noticing the comparisons of Jesus and Is 53

Again, how? It isn't applicable no matter how you look at Jesus' life, particularly while he was still alive, since the majority of the description in I 53 would only remotely be applicable only after Jesus was (allegedly) killed. Iow, only after certain things the SH allegedly set in motion, not during and certainly not before for all the reasons given.

Although by not "fearing" any wrath reprisals from God may be down to their "self-delusion" or they " misinterpret" the prophecies in Isaiah.

Yeah, well, "Thou shalt not kill" and "Thou shalt not bear false witness" were still the bigger hits on their hit parade, so, no, they would have been under no delusion they could somehow fool Jehovah by trying to kill an innocent man, let alone one that some among them claimed was their messiah.

Again, you're (presumably) a Christian, right? And not even a High Priest, I further presume. Do you think YOU would not need to fear any reprisals from your God if you murdered or conspired to murder an innocent man just because he was more popular than you?

Sorry, Learner, but no matter how you slice it, it makes no sense and, at best, proves that Jesus could not have been the person Isaiah describes in 53, let alone anywhere else.

Again, no, unless you are arguing that Jesus was massively popular; so popular in fact that he somehow directly challenged the ruling authority of the SH. Think about what that would entail. Estimates vary, but at that time, there were between 3,000,000 to 5,000,000 Jews in the world. In Jerusalem alone (pre-70 war and in a daily basis sense), the estimates are around 70,000 to 80,000.

The SH were, of course, the most exalted and highest of the high; like our Supreme Court, except there were 71 of them. Yes, 71. So for any of them to feel in any way threatened from just the Jews that lived in Jerusalem on a regular, daily basis, then Jesus would have needed to be not just popular, but so popular that a good 50-60% of Jews would be openly willing to back him in some political way (or seditionist way) against the SH (as positions were evidently appointed from the following sources: "former High Priests, representatives of the 24 priestly castes, scribes, doctors of the law, and representatives of the most prominent families.")

So, once again, in order for any of the seventy one members of the SH to feel in any way intimidated by a homeless carpenter rabbi preaching what thousands of Essenes and any other nutcase was spouting on a street corner at the time, it would necessarily have had to have meant that this person had tremendous sway over the minds of some forty to fifty thousand Jews in Jerusalem alone and some one to two million Jews world wide (for the time).

And then the threat would only be dire enough to act against him iff [sic] Jesus had been inciting those tens of thousands of devote, fanatical Jews to rise up against the SH and overthrow them or kill them and instead do....what exactly? Put Jesus in charge of everything? He wasn't preaching anything of the kind, if the gospels are to be believed. He was preaching exaclty the opposite in fact. Be meek and you inherit the earth. Rejoice in your suffering because it means you're blessed. Turn the other cheek when struck. Don't risk going before the courts. Etc., etc., etc.

So even if he were massively popular, it still wouldn't constitute any kind of threat to the political clout/power of the 71 members of the Jewish Supreme Court any more than if Kanye West were to instruct all of his fans to riot against the US Supreme Court. It just didn't work that way.

Which, once again, would conclusively prove that Jesus could not have been the person Isaiah was describing in I 53 (or elsewhere). You can't have it both ways. Either no one held Jesus in high esteem, in which case the SH had zero reason to fear him or he was held in such high esteem that the SH feared him, but then he couldn't be the one Isaiah prophesied.

Irrelevant to the point.

Then, once again, he could not have been who Isaiah was talking about in 53 (or elsewhere).

I disagree with your figuratively. No beauty or majesty means He was "physically ordinary in appearance.

No, it couldn't as you are conveniently omitting certain qualifiers (emphasis mine):

and bore our suffering,

This is very clearly describing physical afflictions. And, of course, there's the fact that I 53 is not in isolation. The storyline of the "suffering servant" actually begins with I 52 (and Jews consider it to be in reference to Israel, not a person at all and certainly not their moschiach). There we have (emphasis mine):

But, of course, cherry-picking has its advantages, so you don't consider I 52 to be connected to I 53, but a simple demonstration proves it:

and bore our suffering,

Etc. Again, everything there directly contradicts the power-mad theory. Jesus could not possibly have been "despised" and held in "low esteem" AND been immensely popular and held in the highest esteem to the point where 71 members of the Jewish Supreme Court feared his popularity against them.

Again, you can't have it both ways. You keep trying to, of course, but then that's the problem. Pull one thread...

You mentioned others were described that way in Isaiah:. Who are they and where is it mentioned?

The other is the actual messiah Isaiah is referring to. Again, 53 is just a continuation of 52, which is, in turn, a continuation of 51, which is in turn a continuation from as far back as 41. It's all explained very succinctly here here.

It most certainly does to just about every one of the millions of Jews left in the world.

Nope. There is not a single Jewish prophecy that applies to Jesus. I know you think there is (and have been repeatedly lied to that there is), but just as I have done here, every single one of such claims is easily and readily disproven, most notably from the simple fact that nothing Isaiah prophesied about what would happen when the messiah came happened when Jesus came.

The first mention of any kind of "messiah" in Isaiah is in 4 with the "Branch of the Lord":

2 In that day the Branch of the Lord will be beautiful and glorious, and the fruit of the land will be the pride and glory of the survivors in Israel. 3 Those who are left in Zion, who remain in Jerusalem, will be called holy, all who are recorded among the living in Jerusalem. 4 The Lord will wash away the filth of the women of Zion; he will cleanse the bloodstains from Jerusalem by a spirit of judgment and a spirit of fire. 5 Then the Lord will create over all of Mount Zion and over those who assemble there a cloud of smoke by day and a glow of flaming fire by night; over everything the glory will be a canopy. 6 It will be a shelter and shade from the heat of the day, and a refuge and hiding place from the storm and rain.

None of that happened when Jesus arrived in Jerusalem. Not even figuratively, let alone literally.

on a fertile hillside.

is the nation of Israel,
and the people of Judah

And the rest of 5 is about how God (not his messiah, but God) is going to do a whole lot of "woe" to everyone.

6 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple. 2 Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying.
8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

make their ears dull
and close their eyes.[a]
hear with their ears,
and turn and be healed.”

And he answered:

and without inhabitant,

13 Then Isaiah said, “Hear now, you house of David! Is it not enough to try the patience of humans? Will you try the patience of my God also? 14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you[c] a sign: The virgin[d] will conceive and give birth to a son, and[e] will call him Immanuel.[f] 15 He will be eating curds and honey when he knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right, 16 for before the boy knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right, the land of the two kings you dread will be laid waste. 17 The Lord will bring on you and on your people and on the house of your father a time unlike any since Ephraim broke away from Judah—he will bring the king of Assyria.”

18 In that day the Lord will whistle for flies from the Nile delta in Egypt and for bees from the land of Assyria. 19 They will all come and settle in the steep ravines and in the crevices in the rocks, on all the thornbushes and at all the water holes. 20 In that day the Lord will use a razor hired from beyond the Euphrates River—the king of Assyria—to shave your head and private parts, and to cut off your beard also. 21 In that day, a person will keep alive a young cow and two goats. 22 And because of the abundance of the milk they give, there will be curds to eat. All who remain in the land will eat curds and honey. 23 In that day, in every place where there were a thousand vines worth a thousand silver shekels,[g] there will be only briers and thorns. 24 Hunters will go there with bow and arrow, for the land will be covered with briers and thorns. 25 As for all the hills once cultivated by the hoe, you will no longer go there for fear of the briers and thorns; they will become places where cattle are turned loose and where sheep run.

So, yeah, flies and bees and a guy keeping a cow and two goats that somehow will have such abundant milk that it will fee all of Jerusalem or Assyria or something and briers and thorns! Lot's and lot's of briers and thorns.

And then 8:

and rejoices over Rezin
and the son of Remaliah,
run over all its banks
Immanuel!”

for God is with us.[d]

to us a son is given,
And he will be called
there will be no end.
and over his kingdom,
will accomplish this.

it will fall on Israel.
who say with pride
and arrogance of heart,

but still be hungry;
but not be satisfied.

Then in 10 it gets even weirder with mention of both a "Holy One" and a "Mighty One." And then, of course, we have 11, with the "Branch of Jesse" that so many apologists try to apply to Jesus:

on all my holy mountain,

10 In that day the Root of Jesse will stand as a banner for the peoples; the nations will rally to him, and his resting place will be glorious.

Never happened.

Which is why some cult apologists try to claim that this is in regard to the second coming Jesus (as if Jesus/God fucked everything up the first time and needed a do-over). And it also means that anything after--that says "in that day"--is likewise not applicable to the "first" time Jesus came. But the problem is, where is it mentioned about a "first time"? There is no mention of a "first coming." Unless we just inexplicably consider the previously mentioned "branch" NOT the "branch of Jesse" and the "Holy One" and the "Mighty One" and basically anything prior to Isaiah 11 not applicable to Jesus and Jesus is only the "Branch of Jesse" starting with 11.

And so on.

Wow,

Irrelevant to the point.

and bore our suffering,

and bore our suffering,

on a fertile hillside.

is the nation of Israel,
and the people of Judah

make their ears dull
and close their eyes.[a]
hear with their ears,
and turn and be healed.”

And he answered:

and without inhabitant,

And then 8:

and rejoices over Rezin
and the son of Remaliah,
run over all its banks
Immanuel!”

for God is with us.[d]

to us a son is given,
And he will be called
there will be no end.
and over his kingdom,
will accomplish this.

it will fall on Israel.
who say with pride
and arrogance of heart,

but still be hungry;
but not be satisfied.

on all my holy mountain,

Never happened.

And so on.

Wow,

Gee

Part 1
Who "knew" that Jesus was a supernatural messiah sent from Jehovah?
Witnesses and followers ! Its seems no-one else , even the priests or Romans.

And how would they know such a thing? Again, in no way did Jesus fit anything in Isaiah 53. He was not afflicted (i.e., disfigured) in any way; he was not despised or held in low esteem (again, quite the contrary); he certainly did not keep his mouth shut, no matter whether you think that was just about complaining (what was the Sermon on the Mount if not one long list of complaints, if only tacit?); etc.

Its your interpretative opinion (oblivious to the obvious, imo). Other than Christians who focus on the NT, there are Jews who become Messianic Jews , who would interpret from the Torah and Tanakh. They also believe it refers to Jesus.

I was agreeing with you from your previous posts , I wouldn't doubt (plausibly) there'd be one or two (or what ever number) who (felt) they knew :

(It is a safe bet that the High Priests of all Judea--some two thousands years ago--knew precisely what was in Isaiah and what their own prophets prophesied, but if they did not know, then why would they care at all about a homeless carpenter Rabbi preaching anything at all, let alone the exact same non-orthodox teachings as hundreds of others were teaching at that time as well?)

Brave enough to openly declare He was the Messiah is what I'm talking about e.g. The lack of courage, that Jesus's deciples, at first, cowered away, hiding amongst the crowd denying they knew Jesus.

BUT...they did declare He was the Messiah openly without fear , regardless of the consequences, AFTER He was ressurected.

(Saw this explanation by Strobel on a vid, but much better, linked by Tharmas, cheers BTW )

What ever it means in brackets does seem the correct position coming from you. Your post could also be called a "Distortion" to the biblical theme. You sort of sound a tad like our friend Steve Banks (which should be a compliment in a way) but to be fair, its how you see it , merely different from how I see it.

Jesus has enemies you know? He met the most powerful in the desert. Satan's influence (hidden, even in discussions) enticing with great power, riches etc.etc. Why not try to stop the very birth of Jesus in the first place ? "Yeah ..great idea!", God's enemies would have said. "Destroy the true word of God by disrupting the prophecies", one slight change to the prophecy, all else changes ! But...but.. where shall we start to find this named one ... who among the many , is to be called Immanuel ,... this "God is with us" fellow?

:confused:

Last edited:
Other than Christians who focus on the NT, there are Jews who become Messianic Jews, who would interpret from the Torah and Tanakh. They also believe it refers to Jesus.

It's funny how you dismiss whatever I argue as being just my opinion, and then go on to affirm the opinions of others, instead of addressing the fact that it is not a matter of interpretation. I have demonstrated precisely how and why Isaiah 53 could not apply to Jesus. It's not a matter of opinion.

you said:
me said:

Brave enough to openly declare He was the Messiah is what I'm talking about

Yeah, again, why would "bravery" have anything to do with it?

The lack of courage, that Jesus's deciples, at first, cowered away, hiding amongst the crowd denying they knew Jesus.

Also something that makes no sense as written, but irrelevant to my question. The SH had no reason to fear their own messiah or others among them who did not believe Jesus to have been their messiah, nor did they have any reason to fear Jesus, based on his alleged teachings or the general facts as I laid them out. There were literally thousands of Jews in Jerusalem teaching/believing/arguing about all forms of Judaism and Orthodoxy and Anti-Orthodoxy and what one should believe over what someone else said one should believe and how this person was a messenger from Jehovah or how that person might be Elijah, etc., etc., etc. Iow, everything in Judaism is always up for debate, not murder.

And, regardless, all that Jesus was allegedly teaching was to follow the Law and love each other and keep the commandments and turn the other cheek and do as you are told by authority and be meek and rejoice in your suffering and don't change your lot in life because it means you're blessed, etc., etc., etc. There was literally nothing he ever allegedly said that would have bothered any member of the SH, including criticism of the SH as, once again, there were already thousands of Essenes and Zealots and Sadducees and Pharisees and I'm sure other smaller sects we don't know about all insisting that their version of Judaism and their interpretation of the Law was the only "right" version and complaints about ruling class from a servant class were no doubt replete, etc, and yet, no member of the SH ever seems to have feared any of the other thousands of similar "Jesus's" running around likewise shouting their beliefs on the street corners.

As to why any of his disciples may have acted as they allegedly did, that has no bearing on the notion that they feared he was their messiah.

BUT...They then declared He was the Messiah openly without fear , regardless of the Consequences, AFTER He was ressurected

Again, why would any of the 71 members of the SH ever fear their own messiah, let alone a homeless carpenter Rabbi preaching what thousands of others were preaching literally all over the place?

you said:
me said:

What ever it means in brackets does seem the correct position coming from you.

You have an odd, but understandable habit of avoiding the substance of my arguments and instead cherry-picking irrelevant points. My fault, I guess, for throwing in parentheticals.

you said:
me said:

Jesus has enemies you know?

He does? What has that got to do with my point that the SH would not have been among them? Again, to them, Jesus would have been no different than any of the other thousands of Jews in Jerusalem arguing about their own interpretation of Jewish scripture and/or claiming to be a "messiah." There were many who claimed such a thing.

So, again, back to the point, unless Jesus was somehow massively influential--on the order of being able to control tens of thousands of Jews in the area to do his political bidding and back him in some manner to overthrow seventy one members of the SH, they had exactly no reason at all to fear Jesus in any way.

And, again, to get back to the point, IF Jesus was that popular, then he could not possibly have been what Isaiah was describing in 53. That's what it means to demonstrate a point. Iow, that's not my "interpretation" or "opinion," that is a cold, objective fact. Again, read what Isaiah said:

Jesus could not have been "despised and rejected by mankind" and held "in low esteem" at the same time that he was beloved by mankind (on the order of forty to fifty thousand Jews at the very least) and held in such high esteem that the SH feared those thousands of fanatical Jews would riot agains them.

Again, being a popular Rabbi--particularly one that preached everything that Jesus allegedly preached--would not have been anything new or threatening to the Supreme Court of Jerusalem anymore than any young lawyer out of law school shouting about Roe V. Wade would in any way threaten the Justices of our Supreme Court.

Just think about it for five seconds. I know it goes against programming, but try. It's a simple matter. If Kanye West were to tweet out, "We must riot against the Supreme Court tomorrow" (aside from being immediately arrested for inciting violence), would any SCOTUS Justice fear for their power from Kanye? Their lives, maybe, but that's a different matter. The argument in regard to Jesus is that he threatened the SH's authority--their power--due to Jesus' alleged popularity (that mysteriously instantly disappears seconds after Pilate reveals the SH's traitorous collusion with him to have a man he finds completely innocent be nevertheless murdered).

So, again, Jesus was either despised and rejected by mankind and held in low esteem, which would necessarily mean he would be no threat whatsoever to the SH's power/authority, OR Jesus was beloved and embraced by mankind and held in very high esteem, which would necessarily mean he could not have been who Isaiah was talking about in 53.

Again, that's not my opinion or interpretation; those are directly contradictory notions that can't both be true at the same time. So, you have a choice. Either I 53 does not apply to Jesus or it does and then the whole notion of the SH fearing Jesus so much that they colluded with their enemies makes no sense.

He met the most powerful in the desert. Satans influence enticing with great power, riches etc.etc. Why not try to stop the very birth of Jesus in the first place , maybe kill Mary ? Yeah ..great idea ... destroy the true word of God by disrupting the prophecies! But...but.. where , and who is Immanuel?

Ok, you took a higher dive off the deep end there than I was expecting, so I think we're dealing with a whole new level of programming. I tell you what, instead of following you down that bit of crazy, I'm going to lay out a fun little mind-blower for you. Since you evidently and inexplicably believe in an actual "Satan" you have probably heard the common trope of challenging the Devil for your soul, right (as in Faust, or The Devil and Daniel Webster and the like)?

If not and in short, you make a deal with the Devil for fame and power and money, etc., in exchange for your soul, but when the Devil comes to collect, you can challenge him to a game of your choosing and if you beat him--whatever the game or challenge may be--you win your soul back. Fun, right? But of course the Devil is very cunning and brilliant in ways no human can be, so you have to find a way to trick him before he tricks you. That kind of thing.

Want to know how you do it instantly?

You challenge him to save your soul. If he succeeds, your soul is saved. If he fails, you beat him and your soul is saved.

Last edited:
It's funny how you dismiss whatever I argue as being just my opinion, and then go on to affirm the opinions of others, instead of addressing the fact that it is not a matter of interpretation. I have demonstrated precisely how and why Isaiah 53 could not apply to Jesus. It's not a matter of opinion.

I will keep saying its your opinion because you are giving me "your" explanations. My opinion agrees with the Messianic Jews,in regards to Is 53: ...I'm not alone.. thats all I highlighted. You can if you want do the same.

(I won't respond to rest of post (yet) before the previous one)

Koyaanisqatsi said:
Part 1

Didn't members of the Sanhedrin accuse Jesus of healing on the Sabbath?
Didn't they accuse Him of having a relationship with beelzebub?
Wasn't there a centurion at the foot of the Cross declaring that Jesus was a supernatural being?
Didn't Jesus heal the severed ear of a temple guard?
Wasn't Jairus a witness to Jesus' miracles?
Didn't a Roman soldier have his servant healed?

Koyaanisqatsi said:
Part 1

Wasn't there a centurion at the foot of the Cross declaring that Jesus was a supernatural being?

And didn't Clark Kent work as a reporter for a newspaper?

What ever it means in brackets does seem the correct position coming from you.
Consider this part retracted. You are making your points and discussing what you find as issues to you.

Koyaanisqatsi said:
Part 1

Not forgetting :

Matthew 22:34-40

34 But when the Pharisees had heard that "he had put the Sadducees to silence", they were gathered together.

23 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,

Matthew 23:

2 Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:

3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,

and so on.

(Hey Lion still haven't looked up the link yet .. will when I can get time , I'm off again)

I will keep saying its your opinion because you are giving me "your" explanations.

No, I'm presenting a fundamental contradiction. It has nothing to do with me or my opinion. Someone cannot both be held in low esteem at the same time they are held in high esteem; detested by mankind while at the same time beloved by mankind. That has nothing to do with anyone's opinion.

My opinion agrees with the Messianic Jews,in regards to Is 53

What exactly is that opinion? Can you quote and link to it please?

Do you know who "Messianic Jews" are, btw? The more common name for them is "Jews for Jesus." Do you know who they are? Hint, it's a trick question.

Didn't members of the Sanhedrin accuse Jesus of healing on the Sabbath? *snip*

What did any of that evasive drivel have to do with whether or not 71 members of the Supreme Court of Jerusalem would in any way fear a homeless carpenter Rabbi preaching among thousands of others whatever version of Judaism he wanted to preach or the fact that Isaiah could not have been describing Jesus?

Still waiting on your argument that hearsay on top of hearsay on top of hearsay for thousands of years could possibly constitute evidence of anything other than someone once told someone else a story. I guess we all know you were full of shit on that one and never will address it. No big surprise.

Last edited:
Not forgetting :

Matthew 22:34-40

34 But when the Pharisees had heard that "he had put the Sadducees to silence", they were gathered together.

23 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,

Except that, you are forgetting Matthew 22: 34-40:

The Greatest Commandment

34 Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Can you spot the two revealing things with that section? Here's a hint: the fact that it mentions Sadducees and Pharisees, who were--wait for it--two different sects of Judaism, each with their own version of what was, to them, the "true" Judaism. And yet, not only did they not try to collude with Pilate to have the Romans kill the other sect off, they actually sat together on the SH! Oh my goodness me! How is it possible that one Jew could tolerate another Jew having a different interpretation of Judaism without colluding with the Romans to have them all killed lest it diminish their power!!???

Oh, and the other revelation hint: He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before its shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth.

Pretty sure "Jesus replied" means he wasn't silent as a sheep before its shearers and did in fact open his mouth.

Oops.

Matthew 23:2 Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.
5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,
and so on.

You forgot the "seven woes," which is the best part! So, we'll try this again. Do you think the Supreme Court justices would give a shit if some homeless guy on a street corner in Washington DC was saying to anyone that might be listening, “Woe to you, keeper of the law, you hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people’s faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to." Or the like?

Once again, YOU think that Jesus "is" God, so YOU think such words have some sort of monumental meaning. But the SH did not think Jesus was Jehovah, so such words would have meant absolutely nothing to them, if they ever even heard the homeless carpenter speak.

Again, for any of that to be a threat to the SH's authority it would have necessarily meant that Jesus was massively popular--in the magnitude of the tens of thousands of devout, fanatical followers who would be ready for violence at a moment's notice. That--and only that--would be something that might threaten the SH's authority, but then only if Jesus were inciting his massive number of devout followers to somehow overthrow the Supreme Court and not merely wag his finger disapprovingly at them.

A homeless nutjob saying, "WOE TO YOU, YOU HYPOCRITES!" no matter how loud and persistently he shouted would not have meant jack shit to the ruling elite of Jerusalem. Why would it? It carries absolutely no weight. Again, just imagine some guy--hell, not even a nutjob; handsome, well dressed, white--standing on a street corner or right outside of the Supreme Court and he starts speaking in a pleasant, if rebuking tone, "Woe to you, you hypocrites of the Law!"

Do you seriously think Justice Kavanaugh would feel his power or authority was in any way threatened by that? Let's even say there's a crowd of ten or twenty people standing there listening to the man. Would any of the Justices feel like their power was in jeopardy?

So, once again, you are faced with a contradiction. For the SH to in any way fear Jesus, it would necessarily have to mean that he was held in VERY high esteem and fanatically beloved by at least a good 50-60% of the Jewish population of Jerusalem (iow, "mankind" to the "chosen people"), or around 40,000-50,0000 men. That would be diametrically opposed to the idea in Isaiah 53 (despised by mankind and held in low esteem).

Again, not an opinion, but then I'm arguing with someone who evidently thinks there are magical beings and one of them presides over an eternal burning lake of fire, so, shame on me.

Back
Top Bottom