• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Case For Christ - A defence of Lee Strobel's 1998 apologetic book

Does the book presume Jesus existed? Just checking.

No.
It relies on evidence.

That's just a flat out lie. Hearsay is only evidence of someone thinking they saw something, not of the something itself.

If I were tell you that a friend of mine said he saw Bigfoot thirty years ago, is that evidence that Bigfoot actually existed thirty years ago? Of course it is not. It is not even "weak" evidence. All that is evidence of is my claim that someone thirty years ago saw something they thought was something else.

You are desperately clinging to the word "evidence" (just like Strobel) in order to avoid the fact that you have faith. Why? What is the point?

How is this not just more Strobel bashing?
I don't find his back story "dramatic".
Why not just address his arguments?

His "real" history?
See that's the type of slur which folks use when they are too lazy to debate his ideas.

Though this really shouldn't be important, other than for intellectual honesty...

Since when is attacking his character "intellectual honesty"?
So instead of finding a source, like I asked about, that explained more of how his conversion timeline played out, you go for whining....sigh

Well, here is Strobel in his own words, very closely matching the initial site I found.
https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2009/01/29/lee-strobel-answers-your-questions-part-3/
How did I become a Christian? My wife’s conversion to Christianity (which deeply troubled me at first) resulted in a lot of positive changes in her attitudes and behavior, which I found winsome and intriguing. She invited me to a church, where I heard the Gospel explained in a way I could understand it. While I didn’t believe it, I realized that if it were true, it would have big implications for my life. So I decided to use my journalism experience and legal expertise (at the time, I was legal editor of The Chicago Tribune) to investigate whether there was any credibility to Christianity or any other faith system.

For nearly two years, I investigated science, philosophy, and history. I read literature (both pro and con), quizzed experts, and studied archaeology. On November 8th, 1981, alone in my room, I took a yellow legal pad and began summarizing the evidence I had encountered. In light of the scientific evidence that points toward a Creator and the historical evidence for the resurrection of Jesus, I came to the conclusion that it would have required more faith for me to maintain my atheism than to become a Christian.
Strobel does explain more of how/why he wrote the book some 17 years later, and after many years of then being a preacher, in the 3 part interview.

And a good point made about Strobel's 'investigation':
Also who can be impressed by The Case for Christ, his first book, composed by an investigative journalist who only interviews conservative Christians? Some investigation.

WUT???
He most certainly DOES quote and cite bible skeptics and atheist counter-arguments.
He acts as devils advocate when interviewing his subjects.
I've got dozens of chapter/pages I can cite if you don't believe me.
Uh, yeah, I find it odd to purposely interview 13 preachers/theologians that are only from one's own strain of Christianity to help lay out the book. No theologian like Marcus Borg or Hans Kung got to play, just the inerrant God-breathed Bible club members. When I was deconverting I spent a lot of time in many areas. If I wanted to write a book, kind of like an investigative journalist might, I would not have 13 key interviews from just one camp...

And the fact that he did the tee-ball exchange with Craig Bloomberg regarding Alexander the Great with their warped historical comparison to Jesus is telling of how his ax was grinding. Pointed out below in my other post:
https://talkfreethought.org/showthr...pologetic-book&p=643095&viewfull=1#post643095

And if you believe that......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euchites

The Euchites or Messalians were a Christian sect from Mesopotamia that spread to Asia Minor and Thrace. The name 'Messalian' comes from the Syriac ܡܨܠܝܢܐ, mṣallyānā, meaning 'one who prays'.[1] The Greek translation is εὐχίτης, euchitēs, meaning the same.

They are first mentioned in the 370s by Ephrem the Syrian,[2] and Epiphanius,[3] and Jerome,[4][5] and are also mentioned by Archbishop Atticus, Theodotus of Antioch, and Archbishop Sisinnius.[6] They were first condemned as heretical in a synod of 383 AD (Side, Pamphylia), whose acta was referred to in the works by Photius.[7] Their leader was supposedly a man named Peter who claimed to be Christ.[8] Before being stoned to death for his blasphemies, he promised he followers he would rise again from his tomb after three days, and he did so in the shape of a wolf, attracting the title of Lycopetrus or Peter the Wolf.[8] Christians believed it was not him who had come out of the grave, but a devil in disguise.[9]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euchites#cite_note-9

----

But, but... Eyewitnesses!

If in doubt, confused,( more so Christians) just stick to the gospels I say.

Strobel:
While I didn’t believe it, I realized that if it were true, it would have big implications for my life.

Couldn't the same be said for Scientology? Or astrology? Or a host of any other things?

Strobel:
While I didn’t believe it, I realized that if it were true, it would have big implications for my life.

Couldn't the same be said for Scientology? Or astrology? Or a host of any other things?

Believing in woo can have just as big implications.

One of those woo addicts actually sent me this book years ago after we met on an online forum. I began to read it, realized it was for people who didn't have a woo filter, and chucked it into the trash.

They wouldn't, is what I mean, for reasons being of a Messianic nature.

I'm not sure, then, what your point was on this.

Unfortunately it seems they overlooked verses

They were the High Priests and therefore knew far better than you--or anyone else--what their own religion taught them about their own Messiah. For example, the far more relevant sections of Isaiah you conveniently and ironically overlooked, like I 54:

“Do not be afraid; you will not be put to shame.
Do not fear disgrace; you will not be humiliated.
You will forget the shame of your youth
and remember no more the reproach of your widowhood.
5 For your Maker is your husband—
the Lord Almighty is his name—
the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer;
he is called the God of all the earth.
6 The Lord will call you back
as if you were a wife deserted and distressed in spirit—
a wife who married young,
only to be rejected,” says your God.
7 “For a brief moment I abandoned you,
but with deep compassion I will bring you back.
8 In a surge of anger
I hid my face from you for a moment,
but with everlasting kindness
I will have compassion on you,”
says the Lord your Redeemer.

9 “To me this is like the days of Noah,
when I swore that the waters of Noah would never again cover the earth.
So now I have sworn not to be angry with you,
never to rebuke you again.
10 Though the mountains be shaken
and the hills be removed,
yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken
nor my covenant of peace be removed,”
says the Lord, who has compassion on you.

11 “Afflicted city, lashed by storms and not comforted,
I will rebuild you with stones of turquoise,[a]
your foundations with lapis lazuli.
12 I will make your battlements of rubies,
your gates of sparkling jewels,
and all your walls of precious stones.
13 All your children will be taught by the Lord,
and great will be their peace.
14 In righteousness you will be established:
Tyranny will be far from you;
you will have nothing to fear.
Terror will be far removed;
it will not come near you.
15 If anyone does attack you, it will not be my doing;
whoever attacks you will surrender to you.

16 “See, it is I who created the blacksmith
who fans the coals into flame
and forges a weapon fit for its work.
And it is I who have created the destroyer to wreak havoc;
17 no weapon forged against you will prevail,
and you will refute every tongue that accuses you.
This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord,
and this is their vindication from me,”
declares the Lord.

And 59:

The Lord looked and was displeased
that there was no justice.
16 He saw that there was no one,
he was appalled that there was no one to intervene;
so his own arm achieved salvation for him,
and his own righteousness sustained him.
17 He put on righteousness as his breastplate,
and the helmet of salvation on his head;
he put on the garments of vengeance
and wrapped himself in zeal as in a cloak.
18 According to what they have done,
so will he repay
wrath to his enemies
and retribution to his foes;
he will repay the islands their due.
19 From the west, people will fear the name of the Lord,
and from the rising of the sun, they will revere his glory.
For he will come like a pent-up flood
that the breath of the Lord drives along.[a]

20 “The Redeemer will come to Zion,
to those in Jacob who repent of their sins,”
declares the Lord.

21 “As for me, this is my covenant with them,” says the Lord. “My Spirit, who is on you, will not depart from you, and my words that I have put in your mouth will always be on your lips, on the lips of your children and on the lips of their descendants—from this time on and forever,” says the Lord.

And ALL of I 61 and bits like this from I 65:

“But as for you who forsake the Lord
and forget my holy mountain,
who spread a table for Fortune
and fill bowls of mixed wine for Destiny,
12 I will destine you for the sword,
and all of you will fall in the slaughter;
for I called but you did not answer,
I spoke but you did not listen.
You did evil in my sight
and chose what displeases me.”

13 Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says:

“My servants will eat,
but you will go hungry;
my servants will drink,
but you will go thirsty;
my servants will rejoice,
but you will be put to shame.
14 My servants will sing
out of the joy of their hearts,
but you will cry out
from anguish of heart
and wail in brokenness of spirit.
15 You will leave your name
for my chosen ones to use in their curses;
the Sovereign Lord will put you to death,
but to his servants he will give another name.
16 Whoever invokes a blessing in the land
will do so by the one true God;
whoever takes an oath in the land
will swear by the one true God.
For the past troubles will be forgotten
and hidden from my eyes.

And so on. Which leads us to:

Power-mad-theory may just be right as you mention, touching on a somewhat poltical agenda and less of religious duty to God.

So, once again, you are doubling-down on the theory that the wisest and most venerated holy men--the High Priests--all suddenly forgot ALL of the above and thought (in unison), "Jesus is most definitely the divine, supernatural moshiach sent from Jehovah and prophesied by Isaiah--whose very presence means all of our enemies will be vanquished and we will all soon be in the Messianic Age of enlightenment and salvation and peace, where none will suffer or need or want again and all those who believe in Jehovah and obey him will be forgiven in his eyes--so we must KILL this unkillable divine, supernatural being or be out our jobs. And Jehovah will never know what we did, soooooo, we're safe."

Does that make any sense to you? To save our jobs, we must kill a divine savior and God won't ever find out what we did.

Not to mention the most obvious fact, which is that people generally don't think they have ever done anything wrong, even setting aside the fact that their God has declared repeatedly that the past will be set aside in this new age and his chosen people--the Jews--will all be exalted, etc.

At best, some members of the Sen Hedrin may have thought that what they were doing was working with the Romans to get concessions out of them--like being allowed to still worship as they did, which likewise contradicts your earlier notion of Caesar getting pissed off about anyone worshipping Jesus as a god--and that what they were doing was saving their fellow Jews from an occupying force.

Iow, they would NOT have just woke up one day and said, "We know we are all doomed unless we kill Jesus" because, you know, killing someone would doom them.

They didn't believe him then.

So why conspire with Pilate (who betrayed them, btw) to kill him at all? Because some homeless carpenter Rabbi was popular? In no way would yet another religious idiot spouting anything be a threat to the San Hedrin's political power. Oh, and in regard to his popularity being such a critical motivation, careful of Isaiah...

What He did and how He suffered is the discription mentioned in Isaiah 53.

Not quite. You, again, cherry picked and avoided things like:

He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.
3 He was despised and rejected by mankind,
a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.
Like one from whom people hide their faces
he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.

Surely he took up our pain
and bore our suffering,
yet we considered him punished by God,
stricken by him, and afflicted.

At no point is Jesus described in this manner anywhere in the NT. Precisely the opposite in fact and in full contradiction to your power-mad theory. Indeed, the reason why the San Hedrin colluded with Pilate was precisely because Jesus was so popular that they feared the crowds would riot:

14 Now the Passover and the Festival of Unleavened Bread were only two days away, and the chief priests and the teachers of the law were scheming to arrest Jesus secretly and kill him. 2 “But not during the festival,” they said, “or the people may riot.”

Then there's this handy bit of cherry-picking from Isaiah:

But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;

The "pierced" part is always mentioned in regard to Jesus supposedly being "pierced" by a Roman soldier on the cross to see if he is dead or not. Ok, but then if that's true, then so should the fact that he was "crushed." Was Jesus crushed? Nope.

And:

He was oppressed and afflicted,
yet he did not open his mouth;

If the oppression and affliction is meant to refer ONLY to what happened to Jesus after the "trial" (that wasn't actually a trial), then he did open his mouth. And if it was referring to Jesus' entire life, well, we have several books of him opening his mouth, so that's not applicable either.

And, the fuller quote:

he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
and as a sheep before its shearers is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.
8 By oppression[a] and judgment he was taken away.

So, again, Jesus was never personally oppressed and certainly not afflicted; he did open his mouth throughout his whole life (most definitely within the period prior to the "trial"); he was not "led a like a lamb to the slaughter" nor was he silent before his "shearers"; nor was he taken away by "oppression and judgment." Pilate supposedly washed his hands of it all and it was entirely the "fault" of the Jewish crowd that he was inexplicably killed for no reason.

There's more, but that should suffice to definitively establish that the Jesus depicted in the NT passion narrative mythology could not possibly have been who (or what) Isaiah was talking about in 53.

The question I would ask then (perhaps this would be more to Jews):

If Jesus was the not the one in Isaiah 53 ... IS it expected that someone else will arrive and suffer in that way

Suffer in what way? All of his life, as it is in 53 or just a temporary period after a fake "trial" where he is beaten and crucified like many thousands of others have been beaten and crucified before and after him?

Its not likely to happen imo nor has it ever happened "after" Jesus!

There have been MANY more people who suffered far worse than anything Jesus is said to have suffered. Hell, just the victims of Ted Bundy make being beaten and crucified a cake walk by comparison.

I'm not sure, then, what your point was on this.

They were the High Priests and therefore knew far better than you--or anyone else myself--what their own religion taught them about their own Messiah. For example, the far more relevant sections of Isaiah you conveniently and ironically overlooked, like I 54:

FIFY , What the high priests may have been or may not of been , is the interpretation discussed between both of us.

If the underlined above seemed that way, it wasn't my intention ( Is 54: comes after Is 53: easy to stumble upon). I used Isaiah 53: in context to what the priests should have expected as a prophesy. But yes as you mention here :

"the High Priests (the holiest of holies and anointed ones) *knew that Jesus was their Messiah (debatable)* --the one their religion teaches them will one day come from Jehovah to kill all of the enemies of the Jews and those who are not holy/anointed in preparation for their God's arrival in Israel to forever rule the Universe from His throne amongst His chosen people--" This maybe all they were looking for.

Many Jews today don't know whats in Is 53:

https://jewsforjesus.org/publications/issues/issues-v02-n05/the-rabbis-dilemma-a-look-at-isaiah-53/

Isaiah 53 – The forbidden chapter
https://www.oneforisrael.org/bible-based-teaching-from-israel/inescapable-truth-isaiah-53/

Power-mad-theory may just be right as you mention, touching on a somewhat poltical agenda and less of religious duty to God.

So, once again, you are doubling-down on the theory that the wisest and most venerated holy men--the High Priests--all suddenly forgot ALL of the above and thought (in unison), "Jesus is most definitely the divine, supernatural moshiach sent from Jehovah and prophesied by Isaiah--whose very presence means all of our enemies will be vanquished and we will all soon be in the Messianic Age of enlightenment and salvation and peace, where none will suffer or need or want again and all those who believe in Jehovah and obey him will be forgiven in his eyes--so we must KILL this unkillable divine, supernatural being or be out our jobs. And Jehovah will never know what we did, soooooo, we're safe."

Does that make any sense to you? To save our jobs, we must kill a divine savior and God won't ever find out what we did.

I see the logic you are making here but ... you're making the high priests out to be far less intelligent than they were (self-destructive) which doesn't really make sense. The poorest peasant would believe or assume "God knows everything" regardless. But I suppose you are taking from the last line in bold, perhaps:

Isaiah 65:16

16 Whoever invokes a blessing in the land
will do so by the one true God;
whoever takes an oath in the land
will swear by the one true God.
For the past troubles will be forgotten
and hidden from my eyes.

They would have to follow through in the "acceptance" of the Messiah first! (as it is with "believers" of Christ ... be forgiven)

So, again, Jesus was never personally oppressed and certainly not afflicted; he did open his mouth throughout his whole life (most definitely within the period prior to the "trial"); he was not "led a like a lamb to the slaughter" nor was he silent before his "shearers"; nor was he taken away by "oppression and judgment." Pilate supposedly washed his hands of it all and it was entirely the "fault" of the Jewish crowd that he was inexplicably killed for no reason.

Well thats your interpretation, mine is that "not opening His mouth " meant He didn't protest or complain.

Last edited:
So instead of finding a source, like I asked about, that explained more of how his conversion timeline played out, you go for whining....sigh

You asked me for a source to support your theory that he wasn't a "real" Christian.
Nope. I'm not your Google bus boy

You asked me for a source to support your theory that he wasn't a "real" Christian.
Nope. I'm not your Google bus boy
Thanks for reminding me of another reason why I generally ignore you. Putting words in people's writings, it goes so well with a helping of snarky.

And again, I see you choose to ignore a specific point that I brought up about his apologetic whilst you play. But I suppose you really did't want to engage in an 'intellectual defence or criticism of Strobel's stated position'...
And the fact that he did the tee-ball exchange with Craig Bloomberg regarding Alexander the Great with their warped historical comparison to Jesus is telling of how his ax was grinding. Pointed out below in my other post:
https://talkfreethought.org/showthr...pologetic-book&p=643095&viewfull=1#post643095

TTFN

What the high priests may have been or may not of been , is the interpretation discussed between both of us.

"Interpretation"? What do you mean?

I used Isaiah 53: in context to what the priests should have expected as a prophesy.

As did I, but why are you limiting it to just 53?

But yes as you mention here :

"the High Priests (the holiest of holies and anointed ones) *knew that Jesus was their Messiah (debatable)* --the one their religion teaches them will one day come from Jehovah to kill all of the enemies of the Jews and those who are not holy/anointed in preparation for their God's arrival in Israel to forever rule the Universe from His throne amongst His chosen people--" This maybe all they were looking for.

I said "if" the High Priests somehow knew and what do you mean "all they were looking for"?

Many Jews today don't know whats in Is 53

It is a safe bet that the High Priests of all Judea--some two thousands years ago--knew precisely what was in Isaiah and what their own prophets prophesied, but if they did not know, then why would they care at all about a homeless carpenter Rabbi preaching anything at all, let alone the exact same non-orthodox teachings as hundreds of others were teaching at that time as well?

How--exactly--does the political power of, say, Pope Francis and the Holy See (i.e., the Catholic equivalent of the Sanhedrin today) get in any way challenged by some homeless guy standing on a street corner in Rome--hell, in the Vatican courtyard if you prefer--shouting about the sins of opulence and excess of Catholicism and the like? Careful--once again--about Isaiah 53:3.

you said:
me said:

I see the logic you are making here but ... you're making the high priests out to be far less intelligent than they were (self-destructive) which doesn't really make sense.

Ooh boy. Ok, first, I am not making them out to be anything; I am pointing out that the idea of the "power mad" theory (which is what you were in essence proposing and what is implicit in the gospels) is ridiculous. The theory is that the High Priests knew that Jesus was in fact their messiah, so they conspired with Pilate to kill him, because they didn't want to lose their jobs/political power/corruption racket.

Secondly, if, as you say, they were more intelligent than that, then you would be in agreement with me that the theory is nonsense. But without that theory, then there is no reason for the Sanhedrin to conspire with their enemy--Pilate--to try and convince him to kill Jesus. That would--again--include the "lesser" notion that the Sanhedrin did not think Jesus was a divine being--i.e., not their messiah--but just an extremely popular Rabbi preaching non-orthodoxy and therefore the Sanhedrin considered him a threat to their political power.

Again, not only does that not make any sense (see the Pope analogy above), it would also contradict Isaiah 53 in regard to YOUR other argument (i.e., that Jesus was the person Isaiah was talking about in I 53).

Clear now? There are two issues here that you are conflating. 1) is the power-mad theory behind the Sanhedrin inexplicably wanting to conspire with Pilate to kill Jesus and 2) is the fact that if it were in any way true (messiah or no messiah), it necessarily would mean that Jesus was not as Isaiah prophesied; i.e, that he was not, "despised and rejected by mankind" or held "in low esteem" and that he did, in fact, have a "beauty or majesty to attract us to him" (if you take that part figuratively and not in the literal context as it clearly is in Isaiah).

So, no matter how you slice it, Isaiah 53 in particular (or any part of Isaiah in general) could not be describing Jesus and the Sanhedrin had no reason to conspire with Pilate to kill Jesus.

And that is setting aside the fact that the Sanhedrin could have killed Jesus themselves (no, there was no prohibition against Jews stoning anyone to death for blasphemy as is affirmed by the fact that they tried to stone Jesus to death twice before) and the fact that the "trial" of Jesus never could have happened the way it is depicted; from a Roman Prefect inexplicably wishing to appease a crowd of Jews by letting a seditionist/murderer (of Roman citizens) go free and then at the same time ordering the execution of a man he found completely innocent, betraying and revealing the Sanhedrin's plot to the festival crowd, no less, and yet, somehow, in spite of the fact that Sanhedrin had colluded with Pilate in the first place because they feared the crowd would riot against them, now, just two days later and after having their traitorous act betrayed by Pilate are just magically capable of whispering the crowd into inexplicably demanding Jesus be killed for no reason.

And please don't bring up the idiotic "We have no King but Caesar" as they did have kings and Jesus never was or claimed to be a King. Caesar, if he did actually make any such decree, certainly didn't mean figurative Kings. But I digress.

They would have to follow through in the "acceptance" of the Messiah first! (as it is with "believers" of Christ ... be forgiven)

Yeah, no. That's a Christian cult concept, not a Jewish cult concept. In the Jewish cult, God does whatever he wants and his messengers are typically supernatural beings that in turn just do whatever God wants. There are no meaningless rules like, "You have to believe the messiah is the messiah for the messiah to kill everyone that isn't anointed" or the like. They just go ahead and act and you are either killed or saved. No magical "belief" tokens are necessary.

you said:
me said:

Well thats your interpretation, mine is that "not opening His mouth " meant He didn't protest or complain.

Ok, but he did precisely that three times to God, no less, allegedly:

Mark 14:33 He took Peter, James and John along with him, and he began to be deeply distressed and troubled. 34 “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death,” he said to them. “Stay here and keep watch.”

35 Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. 36 “Abba,[f] Father,” he said, “everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.”

37 Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Simon,” he said to Peter, “are you asleep? Couldn’t you keep watch for one hour? 38 Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

39 Once more he went away and prayed the same thing. 40 When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. They did not know what to say to him.

41 Returning the third time, he said to them, “Are you still sleeping and resting? Enough! The hour has come. Look, the Son of Man is delivered into the hands of sinners. 42 Rise! Let us go! Here comes my betrayer!”

That's Mark's version, of course. Matthew's has some added flourishes, like the threatening, angry Jesus:

24 "The Son of Man is to go, just as it is written of Him; but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had not been born.”

And then Matthew has him falling on his face, no less, to pray "deeply grieved":

6 Then Jesus came with them to a place called Gethsemane, and said to His disciples, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.” 37 And He took with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be grieved and distressed. 38 Then He *said to them, “My soul is deeply grieved, to the point of death; remain here and keep watch with Me.”

39 And He went a little beyond them, and fell on His face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as You will.” 40 And He came to the disciples and found them sleeping, and said to Peter, “So, you men could not keep watch with Me for one hour? 41 Keep watching and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

42 He went away again a second time and prayed, saying, “My Father, if this cannot pass away unless I drink it, Your will be done.” 43 Again He came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were heavy. 44 And He left them again, and went away and prayed a third time, saying the same thing once more. 45 Then He came to the disciples and said to them, “Are you still sleeping and resting? Behold, the hour is at hand and the Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of sinners. 46 Get up, let us be going; behold, the one who betrays Me is at hand!”

Luke's embellishment of Mark's story is even more pronounced (emphasis mine):

Luke 22:39-44 . Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him. On reaching the place, he said to them, ‘Pray that you will not fall into temptation.’ He withdrew about a stone’s throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, ‘Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.’ An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.”

Deeply grieved, sweating blood, falling on his face and praying desperately to God three times. One would think once should be enough--or, actually, zero times would be enough--for Jesus/God/himself to pray to Jesus/God/himself to not have to go through with his own torture and death to appease Jesus/God/himself, but there you have it.

But, let me guess, that is just "my" interpretation and you don't think that getting upset with his disciples for not being able to stay awake during his time of need and throwing himself on his face--deeply grieved/anguished/sweating profusely--begging God to change his fate three times constitutes protesting and/or complaining?

And, of course, you missed several other examples of why Isaiah 53 (or any other part of Isaiah) could not possibly apply to Jesus--such as the fact that Jesus was no "afflicted" in any way and, if we are to believe Mark's passion narrative, was NOT taken away in oppression and judgement (again, Pilate declares him innocent in fact and washes his hands of any wrongdoing, betraying the Sanhedrin's collusion and is only ordering Jesus killed to inexplicably appease the crowd of Jews who just magically want Jesus killed now, because the Sanhedrin somehow crowd-whispered them into demanding he be killed for no reason)--but that's all right. You'd have to.

Last edited:
Strobel:

Yes. Or global warming. Or the link between smoking and cancer. Or whether meat is murder.
Or a gazillion other things Lee Strobel didn't write a book about.

Strobel:

Yes. Or global warming. Or the link between smoking and cancer.

Neither of those are matters of faith and are true regardless of whether or not anyone believes in them the way cult members believe in their cult dogma. What's more they both have shit-tons of objective, reliable, compelling, verifiable evidence that anyone can examine, unlike what we have with the NT mythologies (i.e., zero objective, reliable, compelling, verifiable evidence that anyone can examine).

Once again and until you address it, hearsay can only tell us what someone claimed someone else told them happened, it cannot evidence that the something claimed to have happened actually happened. In the case of the NT mythology, that means we have hundreds if not thousands of anonymous copyists and "church leaders" over centuries--and even a King ffs--who made any number of changes that we can only guess at (and still have no idea how many other books may still be out there in their own Qumran caves that may say something like, "And of course, all of us made this shit up just to fuck with people" or the like), so you have hearsay upon hearsay upon hearsay upon hearsay upon hearsay upon hearsay upon hearsay upon hearsay upon hearsay upon hearsay upon hearsay upon hearsay upon hearsay, etc.

In short, you have zero evidence that a particular guy named Jesus was divine or had supernatural powers. Which means you have nothing except for some cult mythology at best. There probably was a real guy named Paul Bunyan, but that doesn't mean he had a magical blue ox and superhuman powers and was a fifty foot giant or the like. Which of course would be the only claims about him that would require any evidence.

You will never address this directly--and have not addressed it directly regardless of what you will no doubt claim you have already done--which proves that you are in a cult, because there is literally no way in the fiery pits of an imagined hell that you would EVER accept somebody you don't know telling you something fantastical somebody else you don't know told them as any kind of objective/reliable/compelling/verifiable evidence that the something fantastical they claim happened actually happened.

If you did, then you're a fucking moron. Which anyone has every right to be, but just don't try and teach it.

And yes, that would include just accepting the same claims from any scientists in regard to anything as monumentally important as the alleged salvation of an eternal soul and/or the eternal punishment that allegedly results from disbelieving.

Blomberg on Alexander - an error?

funinspace thinks I deliberately ignored this post.
So....

As I haven't read the book, I found this an interesting reason to consider it to be just another preaching to the choir effort.

Spinning history is not a good route...
https://celsus.blog/2013/08/24/anot...shonesty-in-lee-strobels-the-case-for-christ/
And so, in the first interview, I found Blomberg making a rather egregious comparison. Apparently we have earlier and more reliable historical evidence for Jesus than even the famous Macedonian general Alexander the Great. After all, Blomberg (pp. 41-42) points out the following fact about the dating of the Gospels: “The standard scholarly dating, even in very liberal circles, is Mark in the 70s, Matthew and Luke in the 80s, [and] John in the 90s” of the 1st century. That’s roughly 40-60 years after the death of Jesus.

But what is the time gap for our earliest biographies of Alexander the Great? Here is where Blomberg makes an egregious error, stating (pg. 41):

“The two earliest biographies of Alexander the Great were written by Arrian and Plutarch more than four hundred years after Alexander’s death in 323 B.C., yet historians consider them to be generally trustworthy.”

Really? You mean that in the literate Hellenistic world nobody bothered to write a biography of the Greeks’ greatest general, who conquered most of the known world, until four hundred years after his death? They even constructed a great library at Alexandria, and yet nobody thought to write a biography of the city’s founder? Wait a second…
Sounds like another version of the silly 'more of Jesus, than of Caesar' meme...

Strobel and Blomberg are not saying the biographical accounts of Alexander are unreliable on account of their dating.
On the contrary. They are pointing out the double standard of those who use the dating of the Gospels in an argument about their supposed unreliability. The (written) historicity of Alexander the Great (and Caesar) is almost as good as what we have about Jesus. (And by 'Jesus' I mean THE Jesus of Nazareth.)

So....

As I haven't read the book, I found this an interesting reason to consider it to be just another preaching to the choir effort.

Spinning history is not a good route...
https://celsus.blog/2013/08/24/anot...shonesty-in-lee-strobels-the-case-for-christ/
And so, in the first interview, I found Blomberg making a rather egregious comparison. Apparently we have earlier and more reliable historical evidence for Jesus than even the famous Macedonian general Alexander the Great. After all, Blomberg (pp. 41-42) points out the following fact about the dating of the Gospels: “The standard scholarly dating, even in very liberal circles, is Mark in the 70s, Matthew and Luke in the 80s, [and] John in the 90s” of the 1st century. That’s roughly 40-60 years after the death of Jesus.

But what is the time gap for our earliest biographies of Alexander the Great? Here is where Blomberg makes an egregious error, stating (pg. 41):

“The two earliest biographies of Alexander the Great were written by Arrian and Plutarch more than four hundred years after Alexander’s death in 323 B.C., yet historians consider them to be generally trustworthy.”

Really? You mean that in the literate Hellenistic world nobody bothered to write a biography of the Greeks’ greatest general, who conquered most of the known world, until four hundred years after his death? They even constructed a great library at Alexandria, and yet nobody thought to write a biography of the city’s founder? Wait a second…
Sounds like another version of the silly 'more of Jesus, than of Caesar' meme...

Strobel and Blomberg are not saying the biographical accounts of Alexander are unreliable on account of their dating.
On the contrary. They are pointing out the double standard of those who use the dating of the Gospels in an argument about their supposed unreliability. The (written) historicity of Alexander the Great (and Caesar) is almost as good as what we have about Jesus. (And by 'Jesus' I mean THE Jesus of Nazareth.)

You clearly did not click on the link. If you had, you would have seen this just after funinspace's quote (emphasis in original):

Didn’t Alexander have a personal historian who traveled with him and wrote about his deeds during his campaigns? That’s right, Callisthenes of Olynthus (360–328 BCE) was Alexander’s official biographer, who wrote contemporary to his life (not half a century later). This is a piece of information that would be covered in any undergraduate course about Greek history. Oh, by the way, there were other authors, who were eyewitnesses and who wrote either contemporary to Alexander (356–323 BCE) or within a couple decades after his death. Just to name some others:

Anaximenes of Lampsacus (c. 380–320 BCE; Greek historian and contemporary)
Aristobulus of Cassandreia (c. 375–301 BCE; Greek historian and companion of Alexander)
Eumenes (362—316 BCE; companion and Greek scholar)
Nearchus (360—300 BCE; general and voyager under Alexander)

Hmm, so those are the writings of at least five eyewitnesses, three of whom were professional historians, who wrote about Alexander either contemporary to or within twenty-five years of his death (and there are more authors than just those who wrote about Alexander within that timespan). And yet for Jesus, we do not know of the writings of a single eyewitness or contemporary historian, nor do we know of any contemporary records for his life. The only known writings for Jesus within twenty-five years of his death are the non-forged letters of Paul, who was neither an eyewitness nor historian and who provides only a few biographical details about Jesus’ life

So, no, they are not anywhere near "as good" as what we have about Alexander the Great. Contemporary to vs. maybe 40 or 50 years after, not nearly "as good."

And if you believe that......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euchites

The Euchites or Messalians were a Christian sect from Mesopotamia that spread to Asia Minor and Thrace. The name 'Messalian' comes from the Syriac ܡܨܠܝܢܐ, mṣallyānā, meaning 'one who prays'.[1] The Greek translation is εὐχίτης, euchitēs, meaning the same.

They are first mentioned in the 370s by Ephrem the Syrian,[2] and Epiphanius,[3] and Jerome,[4][5] and are also mentioned by Archbishop Atticus, Theodotus of Antioch, and Archbishop Sisinnius.[6] They were first condemned as heretical in a synod of 383 AD (Side, Pamphylia), whose acta was referred to in the works by Photius.[7] Their leader was supposedly a man named Peter who claimed to be Christ.[8] Before being stoned to death for his blasphemies, he promised he followers he would rise again from his tomb after three days, and he did so in the shape of a wolf, attracting the title of Lycopetrus or Peter the Wolf.[8] Christians believed it was not him who had come out of the grave, but a devil in disguise.[9]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euchites#cite_note-9

----

But, but... Eyewitnesses!

If in doubt, confused,( more so Christians) just stick to the gospels I say.

Sticking to one source is an excellent idea, as long as you care only to keep things simple, and don't care at all about whether your simple beliefs are, in any sense, true.

If you care about reality, then unfortunately you need to accept that nothing is as simple as we would like it to be. It's a process of acceptance that I like to call 'growing up'.

Yeah, he was deliberately ignoring it...

So....

You clearly did not click on the link. If you had, you would have seen this just after funinspace's quote (emphasis in original):

Didn’t Alexander have a personal historian who traveled with him and wrote about his deeds during his campaigns? That’s right, Callisthenes of Olynthus (360–328 BCE) was Alexander’s official biographer, who wrote contemporary to his life (not half a century later). This is a piece of information that would be covered in any undergraduate course about Greek history. Oh, by the way, there were other authors, who were eyewitnesses and who wrote either contemporary to Alexander (356–323 BCE) or within a couple decades after his death. Just to name some others:

Anaximenes of Lampsacus (c. 380–320 BCE; Greek historian and contemporary)
Aristobulus of Cassandreia (c. 375–301 BCE; Greek historian and companion of Alexander)
Eumenes (362—316 BCE; companion and Greek scholar)
Nearchus (360—300 BCE; general and voyager under Alexander)

Hmm, so those are the writings of at least five eyewitnesses, three of whom were professional historians, who wrote about Alexander either contemporary to or within twenty-five years of his death (and there are more authors than just those who wrote about Alexander within that timespan). And yet for Jesus, we do not know of the writings of a single eyewitness or contemporary historian, nor do we know of any contemporary records for his life. The only known writings for Jesus within twenty-five years of his death are the non-forged letters of Paul, who was neither an eyewitness nor historian and who provides only a few biographical details about Jesus’ life

So, no, they are not anywhere near "as good" as what we have about Alexander the Great. Contemporary to vs. maybe 40 or 50 years after, not nearly "as good."
I think Lion knows that the point was that Strobel (and his 'expert') exaggerated distant history regarding Alexander to make their superman look better...but he seems to prefer jabs, spins, and deflections...sadly he's pretty good at it. Theologians like Marcus Borg or Hans Kung wouldn't spin history like that. Too bad lion doesn't actually seem to want to engage in rational discussions as he does seem pretty smart. I've even had fun discussions with a Calvinist preacher here (the old site) that was a hard core TULIP fan. But then again the preacher was forthright...

Too bad lion doesn't actually seem to want to engage in rational discussions as he does seem pretty smart.

He's very clearly disingenuous in that regard at best; an intellectual coward at worst. Much like Strobel, ironically. They both exhibit signs of being closet atheists, desperately trying to convince themselves that magic exists. Faith requires no rational thought, so the whole endeavor to concoct a bullshit artifice of "evidence" as Strobel (and all apologists) attempt just reeks of desperate atheistophobia, if you will.

Faith is, in fact, the antithesis of rational thought and deliberately so. Indeed, there are many many many passages in the NT that admonish against any such rational thinking. Paul in 1 Corinthians in particular (even though he suspiciously quoted Isaiah incorrectly).

Sticking to one source is an excellent idea, as long as you care only to keep things simple, and don't care at all about whether your simple beliefs are, in any sense, true.

If you care about reality, then unfortunately you need to accept that nothing is as simple as we would like it to be. It's a process of acceptance that I like to call 'growing up'.

The bible is made up of several sources , besides its a good source, should there be people claiming to be Christ, even one who is said to have come out of the grave shaped as a wolf:

They are first mentioned in the 370s by Ephrem the Syrian,[2] and Epiphanius,[3] and Jerome,[4][5] and are also mentioned by Archbishop Atticus, Theodotus of Antioch, and Archbishop Sisinnius.[6] They were first condemned as heretical in a synod of 383 AD (Side, Pamphylia), whose acta was referred to in the works by Photius.[7] Their leader was supposedly a man named Peter who claimed to be Christ.[8] Before being stoned to death for his blasphemies, he promised he followers he would rise again from his tomb after three days, and he did so in the shape of a wolf, attracting the title of Lycopetrus or Peter the Wolf.[8] Christians believed it was not him who had come out of the grave, but a devil in disguise.[9]

There have been a few more Christ claims since then.

Matthew 24:4,5,
“Jesus answered and said to them: ‘Take heed that no one deceives you. For many will come in My name, saying, “I am the Christ,” and will deceive many’ ”

Back
Top Bottom