• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The dangers of exaggerating the evils of Islam

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Islam is often accused of all manner of things that aren't really intrinsic to Islam. I don't think Trump style vilification of Islam is really helping. It's not making the world a better place.

So why does this matter? Understanding things is always better than being wrong. I think Islam fucking sucks. It's among the worst forms of religion and I think it's a scurge of mankind. It also seems to be good at sprouting idiot extremists due to the fact that their prophet was among other things, a general. Perhaps not the most conducive idol if we want peace on Earth. I think this is something worth discussing, and how we're to deal with it.

Islam isn't going to go away in a hurry. Our world is increasingly globalised and cosmopolitan. That's just a fact. We all will have to deal with living in a world where we have to get along with Muslims That isn't helped if we constantly accuse them of a cartoon version of Islam. It'll just increase divisions and make the world more dangerous.

Here's a couple of common erroneous statements.

1. Islam is always conservative, or that the only kind of Islam is conservative.

As evident in the Quran Mohammed himself seemed to have no problems with changing his mind about stuff. Quite soon after Mohammed's death the Umayyad dynasty was proclaimed commander of the faithful and the new caliph. The Umayyad's minted coins with Mohammed's face on them, they were famous for having lavish parties, music and dancing. Harun was famous for being gay. All this recorded in poetry from that time.

The Umayyad court was famously liberal and conservative scholars were horrified how the Umayyad court encouraged difference of opinion and dialogue. The court was open to all manner of faiths. They had Taoist, Confucian and Hindu thinkers at court.

It wasn't a fluke. The caliph's after, the Abassids kept it going. The Ottoman court did the same. Muslims have a long tradition of being liberal. Much longer than the west has.

The rise of Islamic conservatism was as a result of resistance to European colonialism. Islam became a banner under which they fought the European overlords. This is a fairly modern version of Islam. If they can become conservative they can also become liberal.

2. The Muslim immigrants will outbreed the local population and that way conquer Europe.

Islam is a belief. Essentially an opinion. Beliefs and opinions can change. There's no reason to assume that Middle-Eastern immigrants to Europe will stay Muslim. Nor that their off-spring will stay Muslim. Not does it say what type of Islam is inevitable for them to hold.

3. Islam is not liberalising.

To those of you who have slept under a rock, the liberal Islamic movements are the main engine for reform and change in the "Islamic world". It's a type of Islam that is exploding and has already had plenty of an impact on all Middle-Eastern governments. Even for the poster boy, Saudi Arabia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_and_progressive_Muslim_movements

Liberal Muslims are consistently ignored by the Western press: Obviously, because it isn't news. We consistently publish statements by obscure extremists as if they represent Muslims in general, while not giving liberal Muslims a voice. Whenever there's an act of Islamic terrorism you have to look hard to find an Imam or Mosque who doesn't issue a statement condemning it.

4. All Sunni Muslims support the Islamic state

No, they don't. First off, the Islamic state has called every other Muslim government apostates. And there's a lot of those. Even Al Qaeda has distanced themselves from the Islamic states calling them all manner of bad things. The Islamic State have failed miserably in catching the hearts and minds, even of other Jihadists. Certainly of Muslims they're ruling. Most Muslims think they're a disgrace and that they suck. Even Muslims living under hard-line Islamic rule tend to start hating them after about a year. Syria isn't the first attempt by the group to start a government. They've tried in a number of countries, each time a total disaster and they end up being chased out by the same people they claim to represent. IS in Syria is just the last in a string. If the pattern holds they'll soon get kicked out by their subjects long before Assad kills them off.

5. Islamic conservatives agree on how the sharia should be interpreted.

They agree on hardly anything. Videos of idiotic Islamic scholars are often shared making all kinds of daft claims, and it's assumed they represent a majority of all Muslims. While funny, they of course don't. The Islamic State has been absurdly creative in interpreting scripture, and in many cases over-riding the Quran. There's a rule in the Sharia about adultery. It's to be punished with forty lashes. That, somehow, doesn't apply when keeping Yazidi women as sex slaves in brothels.

Anyhoo...

Not sure where I'm going with this or what response I expected. Just thought I'd rant a bit.

Last edited:
Good points. Now, Islam is a dumb-assed belief system which adds nothing to the world and we'd all be better off if it went the way of Quetzalcoatl being given the heart of a virgin to make spring come and we don't want any Islamic thoughts or ideas having an influence on our society because they would all be a move in the wrong direction.

That being said, vilifying it the way that Trump and his dittoheads do is about as useful as crusading against Christianity because Christians can't be in favour of women's rights due to Bible passages saying that they must be subservient to men. It's unrelated to the parts of Christianity which Christians actually believe and derails the conversation away from any useful discussion of the invalid nature of what they actually do believe.

Following Donald Trump comments about Sweden, this article has recently appeared in one of the more sensationalist UK newspaper in connection to Sweden and Islam.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...PKINS-reports-Scandi-lib-paradise-Sweden.html

Is there any truth in it, interested to read your view.

We've picked apart a number of Daily Mail articles in this thread:

https://talkfreethought.org/showthread.php?6109-Europe-submits-voluntarily

Conclusion, Daily Mail is just click bait. There's very little truth in any of what they write. It's not even exaggerated. It's just made up.

Just one example,

"Rape statistics were shared and widely interpreted: either Stockholm was 'the rape capital of Europe', or the increase in sexual assaults was a mere statistical anomaly and look, if you turn the graph on its side you will see the numbers are actually falling".

Sweden does not have higher rape statistics than other countries. What Sweden does it collect statistics differently. If a woman, in let's say USA, would report a man for several rapes, that counts in the statistic as one rape. Sweden is the only country in the world where each rape is counted separately. There's a couple more differences. Sweden does this because it felt that the normal way of collecting rape statistics isn't honest. There's loads of countries where rape between a married couple is fully legal. Obviously Sweden will have a higher rape statistic there.

The Daily Mail have ignored all this, and just run with it as if Sweden really has more rapes and sexual assaults than other countries. That tells you all you need to know about their honesty. It's pure bullshit.

I think Islam fucking sucks. It's among the worst forms of religion and I think it's a scurge of mankind. It also seems to be good at sprouting idiot extremists due to the fact that their prophet was among other things, a general. Perhaps not the most conducive idol if we want peace on Earth. I think this is something worth discussing, and how we're to deal with it.

Islam isn't going to go away in a hurry. Our world is increasingly globalised and cosmopolitan. That's just a fact. We all will have to deal with living in a world where we have to get along with Muslims That isn't helped if we constantly accuse them of a cartoon version of Islam. It'll just increase divisions and make the world more dangerous.

Considering that Islam is far and away the world's fastest growing religion, and is in fact growing more than twice the speed of the world's population, I'd say you're right when you say "Islam isn't going to go away in a hurry." Pew Research predicts that Islam's growth rate will remain at this pace until at least 2050, something I am not sure how they can evaluate considering all the possible factors that could influence such growth.

DrZoidberg, I'm curious as to why you think Islam is "among the worst forms of religion and ... a scourge of mankind." You definitely know a lot more about Islam than I do based on the observations in the OP. Rest assured I really am interested in an exposition of your thinking and am not setting the scene to dispute anything you've said. But of course others may well do so.

Islam is often accused of all manner of things that aren't really intrinsic to Islam. I don't think Trump style vilification of Islam is really helping. It's not making the world a better place.

is it islamphobia good or bad for muslims? GOOD, i know it is hard to understand,

islamphobia is a SHOCK therapy for muslims to reform themselves

WE NEEDED THAT !

islamphobia is BAD for our enemies, islamphobia could bring civil war AMONG white race

Good points. Now, Islam is a dumb-assed belief system which adds nothing to the world

how can you say that once muslims were super power and when europe was third world countries?

Good points. Now, Islam is a dumb-assed belief system which adds nothing to the world

how can you say that once muslims were super power and when europe was third world countries?

Firstly, because it is a dumb-assed belief system. Secondly, while Islamic countries were once super powers, they're not now. The fact that Islamic society added something to the world centuries ago does not change the fact that there is not currently any issue where the plan of "Let's do this the way that Islamic societies are currently doing it" would be a positive development instead of a negative development.

There are things that Sweden is doing which would improve Canadian society if we implemented those ideas. There are things that America is doing which would improve Canadian society if we implemented those ideas. There are not those things from any Muslim countries. Adding Islamic ideas to society would detract from it instead of benefit it.

Now, perhaps I'm wrong about that. If you can think of some things that Islamic countries are doing which Canada would benefit from, let me know. I'd be more than happy to change my position on this matter if you can give me a good reason to.

This is absolutely hilarious. Talk about reverse logic. The very presence of theocracy appears to stunted these countries growth. Every nation around them has eclipsed them in technology and military strength while they bicker over religious arguments.

Considering that Islam is far and away the world's fastest growing religion, and is in fact growing more than twice the speed of the world's population, I'd say you're right when you say "Islam isn't going to go away in a hurry." Pew Research predicts that Islam's growth rate will remain at this pace until at least 2050, something I am not sure how they can evaluate considering all the possible factors that could influence such growth.

It's only growing if we trust the numbers from Islamic congregations. But they've always exaggerated their numbers. People who've grown up in Muslim families typically identify as Muslim even though they're atheists. This is quite common in the Middle-East and India. It's more a question of identity and your family ties than what you believe. It's a more tribal view of identity. And you can't leave your tribe. Christianity is really the only religion that only focuses on belief. The rest of them don't. Officially Islam does as well. But it's really only Christianity that does this. Compare it with Judaism. If you're born a Jew nothing can was the Jewish religion out of you. That's not how the terminology works. So asking people what religion they have, unless you're talking to a Christian or Atheist is pretty worthless information. Sorry, a bit of a tangent.

If you want to know the true number of the members of various faith, you have to ask them in depth, what they actually believe. What type of god they believe in and so on. That's much much harder.

The American religious identity survey is good. It's only for America. But what it has going for it is that the same questions have been asked for almost 30 years now. Which gives us a unique ability to track changes over time.

http://commons.trincoll.edu/aris/

What we can see is that religious identity tells us almost nothing what people actually believe. Saying that the Islamic faith is on the rise is worthless information.

DrZoidberg, I'm curious as to why you think Islam is "among the worst forms of religion and ... a scourge of mankind." You definitely know a lot more about Islam than I do based on the observations in the OP. Rest assured I really am interested in an exposition of your thinking and am not setting the scene to dispute anything you've said. But of course others may well do so.

For a couple of reasons.

1) It's monotheistic/Abrahamic. The dumbest most shallow formulation of god and religion ever devised. It's easy to explain it's popularity. It's simple. "God did it and God is all powerful". Ok, but what does that mean? It means nothing. God just is whatever each believer wants it to be as if it's some sort of cosmic Santa Claus or daddy.

2) As as a result Abrahamic theology is idiotic. Their "greatest" intellectual thinker, Thomas Aquinas took the God theory to it's logical conclusion. It's so dumb. I felt embarrassed even to have read it. And I'm not even Christian. I think Al-Ghazali deserves the prize for the greatest Abrahamic thinker. His conclusion is that nothing is knowable and we can't deduce anything since everything is the will of God. It just is so because God wills it so, only. That will always happen if you introduce an omnipotent agent into any logical system. But that also means that we can throw the Bible and Quran into the fire since we have no reason to think they apply either. But Al-Ghazali somehow neglected to take his conclusions that far. Dumb dumb dumb. The fact that there exists so many people who buy into this shit makes it embarrassing to be human

3) Abrahamic faiths focus on sacrifice, not presence or to flourish as a human. It encourages passive aggressiveness. That's being a dick IMHO. The example of Jesus is being a passive aggressive dick. That's not a good role model for anyone. I mention Jesus because Jesus also a prophet in Islam. Oh, btw, tangent. In the theology of ISIS they believe that Jesus will come back (second coming of Jesus) and lead the Muslim armies to destroy the infidels. True story.

4) They encourage blind faith over curiosity. They think faith without evidence is a virtue somehow.

5) Islam in particular had the bad luck of having a prophet who also was a great general. While Jesus is a passive-aggressive dick, he wasn't a violent aggressive-aggressive dick. That makes Islam worse than Christianity, since it's more likely to encourage violence. Sure, they're basically interchangeable faiths. But I think Islam has a slight edge when it comes to badness.

6) ...and finally, of course you're not going to Heaven when you die. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Dumb dumb dumb.

To wrap it up. Everything Christians and Muslims claim as a positive in their religious teachings are NOT unique. They all exist in all other religions. Due to ignorance of other religions, they often don't know this. But that's a fact. Everything good about Christianity they stole from somewhere else. The world is better off without any of the Abrahamic faiths.

and the ignorance of the faithful is often to the world's advantage since it means that Christians and Muslims are far more sensible than than would if they actually read any of their holy books or took it seriously. Which most of them obviously don't. Which is a good thing.

...anyway.. off the top of my head. But according to studies religion everywhere is dying. It's becoming increasingly weird across the board. It's never before in human history been so hard to describe human religious faith. And that's saying a lot since animists were pretty damn out there in their heyday.

Interesting thoughts, thanks for sharing. My original question came from the first few things that popped up when I used a little Google-Fu on the question "What is the world's fastest growing religion?" All that data came from Pew Research Center. Whether they are reliable or not is obviously subject for debate. I know less about them than I do about Islam, which is saying a lot.

I would think that the advent of the Internet along with the information explosion would expose more people to the opportunity to debunk faith-based worldviews. That's pretty much what happened to me; I doubt I'd ever have completely abandoned Christianity had it not been for ready access to free thought and rationalism.

But I also thought there was no way in hell Donald Trump would win the GOP nomination; that there was not even a snowball's chance he'd get elected. I've been wrong before and am fully willing to admit it when I am. One thing I've learned is that I haven't a clue what everyone else is doing or thinking.

Interesting thoughts, thanks for sharing. My original question came from the first few things that popped up when I used a little Google-Fu on the question "What is the world's fastest growing religion?" All that data came from Pew Research Center. Whether they are reliable or not is obviously subject for debate. I know less about them than I do about Islam, which is saying a lot.

Pew research on religion is just self reporting, ie "what religion do you follow?".

I would think that the advent of the Internet along with the information explosion would expose more people to the opportunity to debunk faith-based worldviews. That's pretty much what happened to me; I doubt I'd ever have completely abandoned Christianity had it not been for ready access to free thought and rationalism.

ISIS would not have been possible without the Internet. I think the Internet is different depending on the user. Sure, it led to atheism for you. But that was because you're a curious person. Other people might look for other things. Above all Internet let's us control what information reaches us. Never before has it been easier to live in all bubble.

But I also thought there was no way in hell Donald Trump would win the GOP nomination; that there was not even a snowball's chance he'd get elected. I've been wrong before and am fully willing to admit it when I am. One thing I've learned is that I haven't a clue what everyone else is doing or thinking.

It surprised me to. That tells me that I too have used the Internet to help me live in a bubble. Which doesn't make me much different than the followers of ISIS. And that is all truly horrifying thought.

DrZoidberg

internet is good for muslims, internet will reform muslims and internet will destroy ALL sects sunni, shia, wahabis, sufi, quran only, salifi and all others sects

thank to internet islam will be sects free religion very soon

i think war on muslims / islam is a good thing

some time human need kick in the ass to reform themselves

i wonder who will kick west ass to reform themselves ?

internet is good for muslims, internet will reform muslims and internet will destroy ALL sects sunni, shia, wahabis, sufi, quran only, salifi and all others sects

I think this is the first thing you've ever said that's actually backed up by evidence.

Don't know about that. But Islam is definitely being heavily reformed from inside right now. Who knows what the result will be? My money is that it'll just get weirder. All the old sects remain and we'll get a whole bunch of new ones. New one's that are more liberal and conducive to the modern lifestyles.

I don't know about "a good thing". But let's hope the Muslim backlash after ISIS has fallen will be so strong as to weaken the extremist Jihadi groups to the point of them becoming irrelevant.

Let's hope the backlash after idiot Trump is voted out of office will be the start of that?

DrZoidberg

Internet is good for muslim and bad for Islam.

What's the difference? Isn't Islam what 8Muslims make of it?
Nah. Islam is what a few want many to believe.
Muslims are persons, Islam is a religion.

Considering that almost the entire Islamic world has united in hating ISIS, I don't think it's going all that well for those few right now? The Internet is not conducive for elites dictating shit. And since Twitter seems to be Islams main pulpit... those few are not having it easy right now.

Back
Top Bottom