• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The death of Tyre Nichols

It is truly sad state of affairs when skin colour is the determining factor in a meeting of police and civvies.
It is not. CNN is trying to stir racial divisions again, like they have been doing for years.
It's a BS article. For example, they imply that Alton Sterling was shot for being black, when in reality he was a felon with an illegal gun who threatened a homeless guy with it and then resisted arrest and went for his illegal gun.

Interesting article from the NEW YORK POST which has such a stellar reputation for its reporting.
Certainly better than some of the sources lefties on here love to post.
What you should also ask yourself is: why is NY Post one of the few who report on Candy Nicole punching NYPD officers and getting arrested? Why is NY Times silent on that? Because they want to pretend that the protests have been peaceful?
I mean, are you alleging that NY Post is lying about Nicole getting arrested for punching cops? Or what is the point of this genetic fallacy?

I wonder why they published a photo of an attractive black woman in police custody
A suspect punching NYPD officers and getting arrested is newsworthy no matter her skin color or whether you find her attractive.
candy-nicole-1.jpg

Meh. She is just average. And definitely well below the Vicky Mendoza diagonal.

But seriously: should her arrest not be covered because she is black? Or what is your point here?

rather than of the man the NYP identified as a career criminal having a violent past, including being previously charged with assaulting two women in Central Park, including a woman pushing a child in a stroller and another woman sitting nearby on a park bench? Why didn't Derek question why he wasn't jailed?
Who are you talking about? Was this mystery man you obliquely reference but do not name involved in Tyre Nichols protests/riots? If he wasn't, why should I mention him in this thread at all?

Is it too hard to understand that systemic racism results in a lot of people; deliberate racists who feel emboldened, subconscious racists who feel validated, unconscious racists who feel normalized, and non-racists who are habitualized - all to act in ways that are rooted in the systemic racism that they see?
Why assume this is due to "systemic racism" at all? After all, white people get killed by police as well, including without justification.

Police should not carry firearms.
That is unrealistic. Such a policy would lead to more dead cops, and probably more dead innocent civilians as police would be less able to respond to unfolding incidents with armed suspects.

It's long been typical of police departments to seek out and to receive military type training and military type equipment.
Define "military type training/equipment"? I have never seen a police department sporting a main battle tank or a B2 bomber.

Last edited:
I am not blind to our problems but in Australia 99.9999....% of motorists pulled over by police do not have to wonder if they will survive.
Not very different here. I understand you get a different idea if you watch CNN or MSNBC though.
In some parts of the US that figure seems to plummet greatly. And yes of course the media in Aust. tend to show, promote certain behaviours that can give a distorted view.
You hit the nail on the head with your second sentence. Our media too tends to distort. On both sides.
But you yanks have a problem. Too many motorists are being killed for no apparent reason apart from wrong location, wrong time.
The first response of far too many of your police is the gun or the baton.
No, it is exceedingly rare for a motorist to be killed just for being in the wrong place and the wrong time.
Many police killings do start with traffic stops but they escalate. The perp is not shot because of the traffic stop, but because of something he or she did during of after it. Often a perp will shoot a police officer first. Like in this case, where the cops luckily survived. The shooter got a long prison sentence at least. Or take this case. Luckily the cop survived. The perp wasn't so lucky.

I think of part of it is due to the fact that you have so many police forces with widely varying training, recruitment, pay etc.
We have too many police departments with varying standards, that is true. In my state (Georgia) alone we have over 400 police departments and over 100 Sheriff's departments.

It is however also true that too many cities and/or local DAs are hostile to their own police departments. Former NYC mayor deBlasio was not a fan of police and spearheaded a $1G (G is billion) defunding. The current mayor Adams is supportive of police, but county/borough DAs are far less so. First and foremost probably the "progressive" Manhattan DA Bragg who led with a plan to charge most armed robberies as larcenies. He let a woman who punched two cops during Tyre Nichols riots be released without bail. It is questionable whether he will prosecute her at all - he just doesn't like cops but likes extremists like Candy Nicole.

Last edited:
Interesting article from the NEW YORK POST which has such a stellar reputation for its reporting.
Certainly better than some of the sources lefties on here love to post.
What you should also ask yourself is: why is NY Post one of the few who report on Candy Nicole punching NYPD officers and getting arrested? Why is NY Times silent on that? Because they want to pretend that the protests have been peaceful?
I mean, are you alleging that NY Post is lying about Nicole getting arrested for punching cops? Or what is the point of this genetic fallacy?

I wonder why they published a photo of an attractive black woman in police custody
A suspect punching NYPD officers and getting arrested is newsworthy no matter her skin color or whether you find her attractive.
candy-nicole-1.jpg

Meh. She is just average. And definitely well below the Vicky Mendoza diagonal.

But seriously: should her arrest not be covered because she is black? Or what is your point here?

rather than of the man the NYP identified as a career criminal having a violent past, including being previously charged with assaulting two women in Central Park, including a woman pushing a child in a stroller and another woman sitting nearby on a park bench? Why didn't Derek question why he wasn't jailed?
Who are you talking about? Was this mystery man you obliquely reference but do not name involved in Tyre Nichols protests/riots? If he wasn't, why should I mention him in this thread at all?
You did not read the article you linked in post #7?

Two others were arrested along with Nicole: Manhattan resident Katherine Stone, 34, and Argenis Rivera, 33, a career criminal with a violent past, authorities said.

Rivera was held on $10,000 bail after authorities noted his October arrest for allegedly strangling a mom pushing her 2-year-old in a stroller in Chelsea.

Two others were arrested along with Nicole: Manhattan resident Katherine Stone, 34, and Argenis Rivera, 33, a career criminal with a violent past, authorities said.

Rivera was held on $10,000 bail after authorities noted his October arrest for allegedly strangling a mom pushing her 2-year-old in a stroller in Chelsea.

Oh, you mean him. You wrote ...
Why didn't Derek question why he wasn't jailed?
... which makes no sense re Argenis Rivera, as he was definitely jailed. In fact, he is still in jail, housed in EMTC, according to the NYC Inmate Lookup tool.
rivera.png
Unlike your girl Candy Nicole, he was not released on his own recognizance, but he has to post bail.
He really should be held on remand because he violated conditions of his previous bail, but with NY bail deform laws (thanks, idiots up in Albany!) he probably won't be. And yes, I posted about the bonkers NY bail deform law previously.

Note also that while he has a more violent prior, during the riots Nicole punched two officers, i.e. two violent felony counts. That should have landed her in jail along with Rivera, and not just with a desk appearance ticket. So why did Alvin Bragg agree to release her with no bail?

As to why they published her photo and not his, who knows. Maybe the photographer did not get a good angle on his arrest. The fact is, both should be in jail. Why do you think what she did was insignificant and not worthy of being reported? And are you dropping the bit about questioning the Post's reporting on this matter?

Oh, you mean him. Note that unlike your girl Candy Nicole, he was not released on his own recognizance, but that he has to post bail. And he was not released, at least not yet. According to the NYC Inmate Lookup tool, he is currently housed in EMTC. He really should be held on remand because he violated conditions of his previous bail, but with NY bail deform laws (thanks, idiots up in Albany!) he probably won't be. And yes, I posted about the bonkers NY bail deform law previously.

View attachment 42017
Note also that while he has a more violent prior, during the riots Nicole punched two officers, i.e. two violent felony counts. That should have landed her in jail, and not just with a desk appearance ticket. So why was she released with no bail?

As to why they published her photo and not his, who knows. Maybe the photographer did not get a good angle on his arrest. The fact is, both should be in jail. Why do you think what she did was insignificant and not worthy of being reported? And are you dropping the but about questioning the Post's reporting on this matter?
I'm sure that the reason they posted her photo and not his was two fold: there were more or better photos of her, an attractive woman of color than there were of him and....she's a attractive woman of color.

I already knew about that. I was just questioning why you weren't all upset over the guy being out on bail anyway, having previous charges for violent unprovoked attacks against women.

I'm sure that the reason they posted her photo and not his was two fold: there were more or better photos of her, an attractive woman of color than there were of him and....she's a attractive woman of color.
Why are you so hung up on her supposed looks and being "of color"? Besides, Rivera is also black. Can't comment on whether you find him attractive though.

The fact is that during the Tyre Nichols riots, your girl Nicole committed the more serious crimes. Rivera broke the windshield of a cop car, Katherine Stone tried to graffiti it, but Candy Nicole was the one who hit two officers while trying to prevent Rivera getting arrested.
From a different source.
NYDN via Yahoo Sports (for some reason) said:
The three arrests all took place near Seventh Avenue and 43rd Street in Midtown around 8:15 p.m. Friday, where one of the protesters jumped on the hood of an idling NYPD police cruiser and kicked in the windshield, officials said.
Cops arrested the 33-year-old windshield stomper, identified as Argenis Rivera, charging him with criminal mischief. A second protester, 34-year-old Katherine Stone, was also grabbed for trying to graffiti the same cruiser.
As cops went in to arrest Rivera, 25-year-old protester Candy Nicole tried to shove them away, striking two cops in the face as she tried to stop the arrest, cops said. Police arrested her for assault as a hate crime for making anti-cop statements as she socked one of the cops in the nose. Neither cop was seriously injured.
3 arrested, 2 cops assaulted in Times Square protests over Tyre Nichols death, NYPD says

I already knew about that. I was just questioning why you weren't all upset over the guy being out on bail anyway, having previous charges for violent unprovoked attacks against women.
He is not out, as I have shown. And I do not think he should have been released on a smallish bond for his first crime. But at least he had to post bail.

Why is your girl Candy Nicole out on no bail despite two counts of assault against police officers, which is at least a Class D Felony in NY?

Why are you so hung up on her supposed looks and being "of color"?
Jebus Christ man! Warning before post something like that, my irony meter was right next to me when it exploded!
He is not out, as I have shown. And I do not think he should have been released on a smallish bond for his first crime. But at least he had to post bail.

Why is your girl Candy Nicole out on no bail despite two counts of assault against police officers, which is at least a Class D Felony in NY?
"Your girl"?

Why are you so hung up on her supposed looks and being "of color"? Besides, Rivera is also black. Can't comment on whether you find him attractive though.

The fact is that during the Tyre Nichols riots, your girl Nicole committed the more serious crimes. Rivera broke the windshield of a cop car, Katherine Stone tried to graffiti it, but Candy Nicole was the one who hit two officers while trying to prevent Rivera getting arrested.
From a different source.
The three arrests all took place near Seventh Avenue and 43rd Street in Midtown around 8:15 p.m. Friday, where one of the protesters jumped on the hood of an idling NYPD police cruiser and kicked in the windshield, officials said.
Cops arrested the 33-year-old windshield stomper, identified as Argenis Rivera, charging him with criminal mischief. A second protester, 34-year-old Katherine Stone, was also grabbed for trying to graffiti the same cruiser.
As cops went in to arrest Rivera, 25-year-old protester Candy Nicole tried to shove them away, striking two cops in the face as she tried to stop the arrest, cops said. Police arrested her for assault as a hate crime for making anti-cop statements as she socked one of the cops in the nose. Neither cop was seriously injured.
3 arrested, 2 cops assaulted in Times Square protests over Tyre Nichols death, NYPD says

He was out at the time the NYPost article was linked in this thread. By you.

From a different source.

Yeah, she's a full grown woman and also slavery ended a long time ago plus my family has always lived north of the Mason-Dixon so no more references to ownership of people, 'k?

I think Derec was using it as a term of endearment with snark. Black people use "your boy" and "your girl" in the same way most people use "your friend". Black people also use it to associate someone they find disagreeable with another person they find disagreeable (the person they are talking to) with the intent to insult.

Just sayin :ROFLMAO:

Why do you people hate each other so much?
Racism and class violence.
In the Tyre Nichols case? Five black men beating up another black man? Do all five black police officers hate black people, and that's why they did it? Or is their some "behind the scenes" racisim involving non-blacks to explain the situation? And if so, what is the other race responsible? Chinese? Native American? White? Pacific Islander?
Often in these cases, the terms racism and bigotry get thrown around, when "bias" is easily more accessible and accurate. Black officers don't have to be racist or bigoted to be biased against a suspect, even when a minority.

When circumstances occur, presumptions and assumptions are made, and at some point, it becomes tunnel visioned, and one forgets these were presumptions to begin with and treat them like facts. This leads to more aggressive behavior because the case no longer involves a suspect, but it is a known criminal. At some point, the critical thinking is put in the trunk and locked away, allowing potentially poor judgments to continue to cascade.

Was race involved with the death? Almost certainly. Was it because of hate. It doesn't appear to be. And this isn't contradictory.

I think Derec was using it as a term of endearment with snark. Black people use "your boy" and "your girl" in the same way most people use "your friend". Black people also use it to associate someone they find disagreeable with another person they find disagreeable (the person they are talking to) with the intent to insult.

Just sayin :ROFLMAO:
I think it's more slang than just associated with black people. Nevertheless, thanks for being my interpreter for the Boomers. :)

Yeah, she's a full grown woman and also slavery ended a long time ago plus my family has always lived north of the Mason-Dixon so no more references to ownership of people, 'k?
Ok Boomer! See gospel's post for an explanation.
But other than (willful?) misunderstanding of my use of "your girl", what do you have to say about the rest of my post?

He was out at the time the NYPost article was linked in this thread. By you.
No, he wasn't. He was arrested during the riot, and according to the NYC Inmate Lookup, he is still in jail.
I even posted a screenshot showing that. Why do I bother replying to you when you ignore everything I write?

Back
Top Bottom