• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Democratic Party has attractive positions for moderate republicians/center right voters

Axulus

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Right leaning skeptic
I would describe myself as center right on economic issues like taxes and regulations: Some amount is fine and necessary but they should be kept at reasonable levels. I do believe that Democrats want more tax, regulation, and government spending than I would like but the gap between the mainstream Democrat view and my view isn't huge.

However, the Democrats have much to offer people like me, which is why the clear choice is to vote Democrat this election and why I think Kamala Harris will ultimately win the election: There are just not enough MAGA people in the country to win on their support alone.

Here are some of the biggest ones:

Pro-Ukraine

Pro-NATO

Pro-Taiwan

Pro-legal immigration (The MAGA people want to greatly reduce not just illegal immigration but also legal immigration, especially from places that have mostly brown or black people, while many moderate republicians actually favor keeping or expanding the current level of legal immigration)

Pro-Democracy: Many moderate Republians are disturbed when Trump cozys up to dictators and think it is a "great honor" to be liked by Victor Orban. Or Trump's election lies that eventually resulted in the J6 insurrection on our capital and greatly eroded the public's belief in free and fair elections. Or his unwillingness to declare that he prefers Ukraine to win the war against Russia. Or his demonization/trashing of our core institutions like our courts.

Pro-Choice: there are some moderate republician leaning voters, like suburban women, that are much more pro-choice than the MAGA crowd. Now that Roe is overturned, the Democrats can capture some of their votes.

Pro-Vaccine

Anti-Demonization and spread of lies and hate about people living in the country. The lie about Hatians eating pets as one example.

Anti-White nationalist: Trump being friends with and apparently taking advice from Laura Loomer, as one example of MAGA's distrubing trend towards openly supporting White Nationalist viewpoints.

Pro-Separation between Church and State. A big voting constituency in the MAGA world are Christian Nationalists, led by the New Apastolic Reformation movement, the fastest growing segment of Christianity today, and other Christians who are sympathetic to the viewpoint that Christians should be in control of government and that Democracy is anti-biblical and should be dismanteled. MAGA Mike, the speaker of the house, has close ties to many leaders in this movement. A Republician win would mean giving these people more power and influence in our government.

Last edited:
I think even if you’re a Conservative/Republican who finds most/all of those policy positions abhorrent,
BUT
You want America to continue as a functional democracy (and, if you don’t, fuck off and die), Harris is still your obvious choice.
At the very least, she will preserve the Republic for either four (or eight years), AFTER which the GOP can once again compete for control, but within a democracy.
Trump is a country-killer.

She is clueless. I'll take my chances with Trump.

I have no idea what you watched, but all I heard was a normal Politian that can speak in clear, complete sentences.

Love the Chuck Taylors!

I have no idea what you watched, but all I heard was a normal Politian that can speak in clear, complete sentences.

Vice President Harris, can you tell us one or two things you would do to reduce American families costs?

Let me start with this, I grew up in a neighborhood with lush lawns.

Fuck off. (Harris, not you)

Vice President Harris, can you tell us one or two things you would do to reduce American families costs?

Meaningless neutral politco speak verses They are eating dogs... they are eating the cats... ... they are eating.. the pets.

Mr. Stable Genius couldn't come up with another pet.

She’d have been better off replying
“They’re EATING … they’re EATING THE DOGS!!!”
:hysterical:

Anti-Demonization and spread of lies and hate about people living in the country. The lie about Hatians eating pets as one example.
If you care about reality, here is an actual video of Springfield, Ohio speaking with many people in this small town all expressing frustrations with the number of migrants that have overwhelmed their small midwest city.

It should be noted this producer does many other locations and is rarely if ever political in his stance. Leading me to believe the content is real and trustworthy. It should also be noted that the lie about hatians eating dogs was probably an exaggeration but eating of cats and geese was not. It is part of their culture. And finally, it should be noted that this is only the start of what will probably be more to come in other parts of our country with a Harris presidency.

In the past, the oligarchy outsourced factories to other countries. Now they want to move that same cheap labor into our country.

Last edited:

Trump mishandling of COVID sure made shit expensive because of the knock-on effect on supply chains. I needed to replace and outboard motor and a car in late 2020. Couldn’t, no chips. All those bricked F150s…stupid tariffs that made my metal roof replacement more expensive in 2019. That dumb billionaire tax cut in 2017 that ballooned the deficit and did fuck all of nothing for economic growth. Yeah, GOP policies are great. And now the dumbfucks want to add Christianism to the mix. Talk about fuck off.

A lush lawn is a sign of elitism?
I grew up in a blue collar neighborhood. Most had nice lawns. It was a matter of pride. My Dad was obsessed with our yard.

I grew up in a blue collar neighborhood. Most had nice lawns. It was a matter of pride. My Dad was obsessed with our yard.

Harris was asked to name a couple of things she would do to reduce costs for American families. She didn't answer the question, she served up a word salad.

I got rid of my lawn a few years ago. It wasn't particularly nice, lots of weeds. Lawns in Southern California are not appropriate. (y)

If you care about reality, here is an actual video of Springfield, Ohio speaking with many people in this small town all expressing frustrations with the number of migrants that have overwhelmed their small midwest city.

It should be noted this producer does many other locations and is rarely if ever political in his stance. Leading me to believe the content is real and trustworthy. It should also be noted that the lie about hatians eating dogs was probably an exaggeration but eating of cats and geese was not. It is part of their culture. And finally, it should be noted that this is only the start of what will probably be more to come in other parts of our country with a Harris presidency.

In the past, the oligarchy outsourced factories to other countries. Now they want to move that same cheap labor into our country.

So done random guy pulls up unannounced telling some people he wants to interview them for his YouTube channel —about ‘what is going on around here.’ I would definitely not be inclined to be on the internet.

It genuinely does become an issue for communities when a large number of immigrants of any color or culture settle into a community, more so if there is a language difference, particularly schools and medical facilities. But people on this video are either grossly ignorant or out and out lying. No one has $30K in EBT benefits. Immigrants are not given thousands of dollars by the US government. Schools have English as a second language programs where students who are not yet proficient in English spend the bulk of their school day.

I highly doubt that 19 year olds are enrolling as freshmen in high school. Almost certainly, young adults would be directed to GED classes with other adults. No one is just paying for immigrants to fix their homes, but it is possible that some church groups do work with families to help them get necessities and to make sure homes are up to code.

My experience with immigrants is that they are willing to live with larger groups of people than most Americans consider, share resources well, and know how to look good for cheap. It takes courage and determination to succeed to be willing to leave your native land and live some place far from anything you know.

Harris was asked to name a couple of things she would do to reduce costs for American families. She didn't answer the question, she served up a word salad.

I got rid of my lawn a few years ago. It wasn't particularly nice, lots of weeds. Lawns in Southern California are not appropriate. (y)
Well, I am with you about lawns they are a stupid waste of time and money. Don't get me started of golf courses. But, a lot of places require them, especially if you are in a HOA.

Shades of Project Veritas. I suspect the film of the supporters ended up on the cutting room floor. Perhaps he should have gone to the Haitian owned restaurants that were flooded by patrons to show their support.

It should be noted this producer does many other locations and is rarely if ever political in his stance. Leading me to believe the content is real and trustworthy. It should also be noted that the lie about hatians eating dogs was probably an exaggeration but eating of cats and geese was not. It is part of their culture.
No it's not.

Internet videos, including one reposted by Elon Musk, alleged sacrificing and eating cats and dogs was common practice in Haitian Vodou religion. Two Caribbean and Latin American ethnologists interviewed by Deutsche Welle said these allegations were myths.

And finally, it should be noted that this is only the start of what will probably be more to come in other parts of our country with a Harris presidency.

“This was a false claim. I couldn’t believe that such a high official could make such a claim,” Salomon said.

Trump’s running mate JD Vance, Elon Musk and prominent Ohio Republicans had already spread the false rumors, lying about how Haitian immigrants had been killing and eating people’s pets in Springfield, a blue-collar town of 60,000 people in western Ohio. But the rumors, leaving Salomon and other Haitians in fear of being targeted for violence and discrimination, didn’t start with them.

They were initially spread online in August on social platforms used by far-right extremists and by Blood Tribe, a neo-Nazi hate group.

Springfield officials and police say they have received no credible reports of pets being harmed by members of the immigrant community, instead suggesting the story may have originated in Canton, Ohio, where an American woman with no known connection to Haiti was arrested in August for allegedly stomping a cat to death and eating the animal.

But that hasn’t prevented Republican party politicians from scapegoating Springfield’s 15,000 Haitian immigrants as Trump and others attempt to propel immigration to the center of their fall political campaigns. In addition to Tuesday’s debate, Trump held a news conference Friday in which he rambled without evidence about how Haitians had descended on Springfield “and destroyed the place”.

When Haitian immigrants began trickling into Springfield to work in local produce packaging and machining factories in 2017, some thought the new residents could help the city regain its former vigor as a once-thriving manufacturing hub. Once home to major agricultural machinery companies in the mid-20th century, Springfield has lost a quarter of its population since the 1960s.

“They came to us for one reason: they were looking for ways to find out how to work,” Casey Rollins, executive director of the St Vincent de Paul Society’s Springfield chapter, said of those who came to the Ohio city from Haiti.

“So we got together immigration lawyers and interpreters to figure out how to help them work. We are getting them online and getting them to apply [for work permits]. We wanted workers here [in Springfield] – they want to work.”
They came there to work and it increased the cities economies greatly.

And eating geese is common everywhere. It's a traditional Christmas dinner.

Last edited:

She’d have been better off replying
“They’re EATING … they’re EATING THE DOGS!!!”
:hysterical:
Trump is so much worse than that.
"Would you condemn the bomb threats in Springfield?"
"I don't know what's going on with the bomb threats. I do know that Springfield was a beautiful town that got hit with thousands of migrants, and they're going through hell..." etc etc. (A close paraphrase of what His Orangeness said.) This asshat CAN'T EVEN CONDEMN BOMB THREATS...mostly because he and Vance caused them. Can you imagine that we'd have a Presidential election where an imbecile would double down on pet-eating? Some of that haze in the air isn't Canadian forest fires; it's the 40 deceased Presidents self-combusting in their graves. We have got to retire this clueless, sociopathic buffoon. Recent polls suggest there's a growing likelihood we can do it.

?? I'd agree that Harris hasn't been super clear on this issue. But the democratic position is out there, and it's working. Inflation is way down. Cost of gas at my local gas station is down to $3.20! Lowest in a couple years. I'm sure that you'd agree that if Biden is to blame for prices going up, then he gets credit when it goes down? The democratic position: 1) no more increase in sales taxes on consumers (Trump wants to increase it again); continue to help improve the supply chain (huge deal); lower drug prescription costs and etc. Inflation is improving. Interest rates are coming down. Things are improving. Don't be such a worry wort!

?? I'd agree that Harris hasn't been super clear on this issue. But the democratic position is out there, and it's working. Inflation is way down. Cost of gas at my local gas station is down to $3.20! Lowest in a couple years. I'm sure that you'd agree that if Biden is to blame for prices going up, then he gets credit when it goes down? The democratic position: 1) no more increase in sales taxes on consumers (Trump wants to increase it again); continue to help improve the supply chain (huge deal); lower drug prescription costs and etc. Inflation is improving. Interest rates are coming down. Things are improving. Don't be such a worry wort!
I just filled my wife's car last week at $3.15. Prices are even lower on the other side of town.

I just checked gas buddy. Lowest price in the area is $3.06.

Back
Top Bottom