• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Explanatory Impotence of Goddidit

As far as I can tell, every single use of the word 'god' can be exchanged for variations on 'I don't know', without making any significant change to the statement being made.

'God created the universe' is synonymous with 'I don't know what created the universe'.

'God commands it' is synonymous with 'I don't know if something commands it'.

It's a placeholder for abject ignorance. And it applies to ALL gods.

'Thor makes the thunder' is indestinguishable from 'I don't know what makes the thunder'.

Gods are the personification of intellectual laziness and of ignorance.

More honest to just say 'I don't know, yet'.

Ya, but it's tough to monetize that into a percentage of the congregations' earnings.

There is a difference with one that actually ' believes' and one that tries to convince others of the belief by means which would 'undermine' and contradict the belief. 'Believer' V 'Pretender' (financial gainer).

'God created the universe' is synonymous with 'I don't know what created the universe'.

'God commands it' is synonymous with 'I don't know if something commands it'.

Believers will always believe God created the universe and command it. Synonymous with believing this to be true .

More honest to just say 'I don't know, yet

I'm sure we would say "I don't know" if in the context we are asked " How does God create and commands all?"

Some atheists are just whiny and peeved because they resent anyone claiming to know stuff about which the atheist cannot (and must not) lay claim to knowing.

The biblical theist who knows that God exists is able to speak. And this is irritating to the frustrated atheist like Bilby who has to admit his own lack of knowledge.

He wants everyone else to say "I don't know" just like he must.

#lowest_common_denominator

But just because someone is ignorant doesn't mean everyone else has to be.

Some atheists are just whiny and peeved because they resent anyone claiming to know stuff about which the atheist cannot and must not lay claim to knowing.

The biblical theist who knows that God exists is able to speak. And this is irritating to the atheist like Bilby who has to admit his own lack of knowledge.

God is supposedly good, totally good, the very epitome of goodness, but revelation claims God chooses to make some elect and leave others not elect and damned.

The idea of God is self contradictory and atheists well know that.

Some atheists are just whiny and peeved because they resent anyone claiming to know stuff about which the atheist cannot and must not lay claim to knowing.

The biblical theist who knows that God exists is able to speak. And this is irritating to the atheist like Bilby who has to admit his own lack of knowledge.

Well, no. However, if someone is going to claim that they're not ignorant and has an knowledge, we ask that the foundations of that knowledge be less ... ignorant.

There's no issue with people claiming that they know stuff which we don't. I'd say that there's at least three things about the universe which I would not be considered the world's foremost expert on, so there's always room for more learned people to educate me. It's just that when they make these claims, we expect the claims to be properly backed up or the claimers should expect them to be dismissed.

Some atheists are just whiny and peeved because they resent anyone claiming to know stuff about which the atheist cannot (and must not) lay claim to knowing.
Who was the first atheist? I'll give you a hint. 0

The biblical theist who knows that God exists is able to speak. And this is irritating to the frustrated atheist like Bilby who has to admit his own lack of knowledge.

Of course it doesn't. But pretending not to be ignorant is not justified.

I want you to say 'I don't know', because YOU DON'T KNOW.

If you did know, then you could explain HOW you know. But you can't, because you don't. All you can do is make pathetic attempts to cover up your ignorance with unsound, invalid, and downright stupid arguments.

...God is supposedly good, totally good, the very epitome of goodness, but revelation claims God chooses to make some elect and leave others not elect and damned.

Revelation states that God will judge everyone AFTER not before.

Why should anyone consider Revelation to be an authority on this issue?

Statements with no support are valueless. And that applies to most of what is written in the Bible.

Cheerful Charlie.
I think he's talking to you.
Since you were the one who raised revelation.

Cheerful Charlie.
I think he's talking to you.
Since you were the one who raised revelation.

If you are going to refuse to reply to me (like a petulant child), then the least you could do is actually stick to your position. It had a kind of futile nobility, until you blew it by cheating on your own self-imposed rules. But then, that's exactly the kind of behaviour I have come to expect of Christians.

I replied to you, because I was talking to you. You are free to respond, or not. But you don't do your reputation any favours by trying to have it both ways.

...God is supposedly good, totally good, the very epitome of goodness, but revelation claims God chooses to make some elect and leave others not elect and damned.

Revelation states that God will judge everyone AFTER not before.

The whole thing was about convincing "God's creation" to do all the hard work, when "God" knew they could swoop in and take credit for all the hard work and effort in the end. It gets a bit quantized...

Revelation? Which revelation? Christianity? Islam? Mormonism? It is obvious that revelation is not trustworthy. If we has so many revelations that are obviously wrong, could it be all revelations are wrong? Yes.

Natural religion. Proving God exists with relying directly on revelation. This has never worked. It still manages to not prove anything at all.

And again, the major religions claim God has a well defined set of attributes. Which lead to self contradictions and impossible propositions showing God is not a good proposition. This is what I know.

Revelation? Which revelation? Christianity? Islam? Mormonism? It is obvious that revelation is not trustworthy. If we has so many revelations that are obviously wrong, could it be all revelations are wrong? Yes.
Or they reveal an existing, versatile universal medium that can convey more than one storyline.

Nahh... anything that doesn't agree with my personally generated classical electromagnetic interactions experience of reality must be incorrect. There is nothing outside of the box.

God is supposedly good, totally good, the very epitome of goodness, but revelation claims God chooses to make some elect and leave others not elect and damned....

Revelation? Which revelation? Christianity? Islam? Mormonism?

Back
Top Bottom