• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The federal government is finally making police report every time they kill someone

While it will no doubt be a better source than the current private efforts it's not going to make a big difference--despite the spin on the private sites we can clearly see most cases are legitimate.

So you are saying that in other OECD jurisdictions, where these 'legitimate' deaths don't occur, there is a dangerous surplus of living people building up?

It is very clear to me that if other nations are able to remain civilized without these deaths, then these deaths must NOT be legitimate.

I suspect that you are confusing the concept of 'convenience' with that of 'legitimacy'. It certainly requires a lot less effort to shoot dead a knife-wielding schizophrenic than it is to subdue him, disarm him, and have him placed in a secure psychiatric facility. But 'less effort' does NOT equal 'legitimate'. In jurisdictions (such as the UK) where police are not given the option to shoot people dead in such circumstances, the total rate of deaths (both of police and of suspects) is far lower than it is in the USA.

The police in those countries are more "civilized" because the populace that they police are more "civilized" in terms of willingness to use lethal force against others, as evidenced by their homicide and overall firearm-related crime rates that are a fraction of the US.

US criminals are many times more likely to be armed with a gun, so that accounts for much of the difference in death rates of suspects being apprehended.
For example, the gun-related homicide rate is about 50 times higher in the US than the UK. About 10% of US teenage males have carried a gun in their possession within the last 30 days, with that figure being over 25% in about 1 dozen US states . Given how such practices tend to vary widely be sub-region and are not evenly distributed in a state, that means there are likely districts where half of high school males carry a gun on a semi-regular basis.

Thus, US cops are up to 50 times more likely to encounter suspects that are either armed guns or suspected of having used a gun in a violent crime for which they are suspected, and to be shot at by suspects. That disparity is likely closer to 100 times when looking at only the districts where the majority of suspects deaths occur.

This is why US cops are more likely to carry a gun in the first place, be ready to or actually unholster their weapon when approaching suspects, and use their firearm due to a perceived firearm threat even when it is later determined the suspect had no firearm.

Do you have any evidence that the differences in death rates of suspects is well beyond what is predicted by the objectively greater lethal firearm threat that criminal suspects in the US pose?

Note, that merely a greater death rate of suspects that turn out to be unarmed is not the sufficient evidence you need. No country expects their cops to wait to be shot at to use their own fire arm. The high probability (in both relative and absolute terms) of encountering suspects with firearms combined with the higher relative probability of encountering suspects that have or are willing to use lethal force against others (a fact supported by the 20 fold homicide rate) would inherently result in more use of lethal force by cops in uncertain situations where a post-hoc investigation fails to show a lethal threat.

You need to show that US cops kill more unarmed suspects, after controlling for any impact (direct or indirect) of the objectively greater lethal threat that US suspects generally pose (not just to officers, but to other civilians).

Only that would show some kind of cultural problem in US law enforcement that wouldn't exist if other nations enforcement encountered the kind of uncivilized violent criminals that US cops encounter.

I am not doubting that some evidence of a problem exists. Just that the magnitude will be a tiny fraction of what you are inferring from invalid comparisons that don't control for objective threat.

That doesn't change the basic issue--a lot of police shootings are really suicides.
I don't know what you mean by "a lot". I am pretty sure that you and I disagree on what a "real" suicide means, or the actual relevance of the issue to police shootings. Are you under the impression that it is part of the duties of the police to assist suicides?

Isn't assisting suicide illegal? Maybe that is an avenue that can be used to hold some of these extra judicial killings to account.

Investigator: "Officer, why did you kill the suspect."
Officer: "It was suicide by cop, he wanted to die, I had no choice!"
Investigator: "Assisting suicide is a crime, please hand over your gun and your badge."

Ok, I got the location wrong. That doesn't change the basic issue--a lot of police shootings are really suicides.

So, for Chicago, is it "half" or "a lot"? Do you have a citation for an actual quantified determination of the number of shootings that are suicides for Chicago?

Ok, I got the location wrong. That doesn't change the basic issue--a lot of police shootings are really suicides.

So, for Chicago, is it "half" or "a lot"? Do you have a citation for an actual quantified determination of the number of shootings that are suicides for Chicago?

It's the log of "yay big" plus "as the crow flies"2.

That doesn't change the basic issue--a lot of police shootings are really suicides.
I don't know what you mean by "a lot". I am pretty sure that you and I disagree on what a "real" suicide means, or the actual relevance of the issue to police shootings. Are you under the impression that it is part of the duties of the police to assist suicides?

Percentages have been discussed, you don't need to play dumb about "a lot".

The point is that if the person is seeking to commit suicide then we aren't looking at a mistake by the cop in shooting them. The cop was shooting in response to a realistic threat. There's no way they'll be able to tell a real weapon from a fake one quickly enough and how can they even hope to recognize an unloaded one?

Can you tell them apart?

http://uniformstories.com/police/quizzes/can-you-tell-whether-a-gun-is-real-or-fake

The point is that if the person is seeking to commit suicide then we aren't looking at a mistake by the cop in shooting them.

So you ARE under the impression that it is part of the duties of the police to assist suicides.

50% is half. No one I know thinks 50% is " a lot". And that assumes the 50% estimate is valid.
The point is that if the person is seeking to commit suicide then we aren't looking at a mistake by the cop in shooting them.
The point is that the police are not in a position to know whether someone is trying to commit suicide or if the person is simply unhinged.

Apparently you do think it is part of the duty of the police to assist in real suicides.

So you ARE under the impression that it is part of the duties of the police to assist suicides.

Your understanding is 0%.

I might have missed that part of the discussion. You said 50%, so I figured you had a source for your statistic.

Your understanding is 0%.
When you post "The point is that if the person is seeking to commit suicide then we aren't looking at a mistake by the cop in shooting them." then the application of basic reading comprehension and reasoning skills leads one to reasonably conclude you are implicitly saying it is part of the police's duty to assist suicides. If there is a problem here, it is with your posts, not with anyone's ability or capacity to understand.

Isn't assisting suicide illegal? Maybe that is an avenue that can be used to hold some of these extra judicial killings to account.

Investigator: "Officer, why did you kill the suspect."
Officer: "It was suicide by cop, he wanted to die, I had no choice!"
Investigator: "Assisting suicide is a crime, please hand over your gun and your badge."

Suicide per cop seems feasible as given in wiki and referenced studies on this. It may be difficult to determine during an investigation. Someone with a death wish of some sort may well provoke police at times ending up getting shot.

Back
Top Bottom