• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The FIFA Football World Cup 2018

Some analysis I've read has suggested that Argentina just isn't a very good team. They probably have higher expectations than they deserve given Messi is on the pitch, but no matter how good the guy is it's a team sport.

I haven't been able to watch as much of the cup this go around as in 14'.. just weird match times. But did catch the Mexico, Germany, and a bit of the England game on the weekend. As always I've been wanting to watch Brazil play so hopefully they escape the preliminaries and one of their matches lands on a weekend.

Whenever Mexico plays America, they are the enemy and I hate them. When they play any other team, I cheer for them because they are a blast to watch. They showed all the weaker teams around the world that sometimes you can stay in the game with nothing but sweat, tears, gumption, hustle, and a fuck-ton of physical conditioning. You can see lots of the weaker teams (America included) following this basic model.
Yeah, Mexico... can cheer for them, but their fans are a bunch of wankers. Make Philly Eagle fans look not as assholeish.

Hush you.

In addition to being genuinely fun to watch, they're a fellow CONCACAF nation, as well as our neighbor. There's nothing wrong with the enthusiasm of Mexican fans[ent]hellip[/ent] unless they're playing America. Then you're completely correct, of course.

- - - Updated - - -

England's exit coming up in their next game.

England is still in it?

Isn't this some kind of record? At least in recent decades?

I watched England demolish a lackluster Sweden and was impressed. On that performance they'll surely go further.

Belgium is good too.
Russia lost to Croatia but the game was even and Russians were playing differently from the way they played Spain. I think people were not happy about Russia vs Spain can shut up now.

France v Belgium will be epic, Croatia v England has magic mainly due to the teams fighting for a first final or first in a long while final appearance.

This has been an unique World Cup.

England defeats Ikea.[YouTube]qQlvb4HXN44[/YouTube]

The France v Belgium looks to be an entertaining match. From what I have seen in the WC so far, I would bet on either country winning the WC.

I think England v Croatia will be a bit more of a grind, and I think England has an edge on all-around quality and fitness.

The France v Belgium looks to be an entertaining match. From what I have seen in the WC so far, I would bet on either country winning the WC.

I think England v Croatia will be a bit more of a grind, and I think England has an edge on all-around quality and fitness.
All things being equal, France and Belgium will result in a team that went through hell to get to the Final, and beat among the best teams in the world. England and Croatia... not so much. So certainly the favorite. But I think any of the four teams could pull it off. The World Cup is fickle at times and sometimes it just takes a moment of brilliance to erase a game's worth of ineffectiveness. Pickford has been playing out of this world.

Thanks for stirring the mud for everybody, bilby. It's much clearer, now.

That's even more contorted than the North American situation.

Well, you don't like playing football if you don't like the mud.
EB

You forgot about England's habit of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in the knockout round. They'll find a way to choke.

Damn it, it's 11.43PM here right now, and the game won't start for another two hours! Looks like a sleepless night for me.

So far it looks like some more good goal tending.

It's getting hot here. Marseillaise and all that stuff.

The Belgian "doorman", as we like to call the goalkeeper here, is really good, but his name, Courtois, means "courteous" in French. He had to let one goal in. Fate. It's done.
EB

Back
Top Bottom