• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Global Warming Fraud

Ice cores have shown that the CO2 concentration remained below 300ppm for at least 800,000 years, fluctuating as low as about 180 or so in the ice ages. But in the last hundred years, the concentration has increased by about 50%.

Our friend would have us believe that 96% percent of this increase in atmospheric CO2 is from decomposition within the biosphere.

How many plants and animals would it take to account for a 50% increase? Do you think we would notice that much death of plants and animals?
It's one of the standard deceptions of the deniers--they look at total CO2 emissions, not considering that most of them go right back into growing plants.

Sore body like Pariah wolud ner run a car in a closed garage. Yet those kind of people think nothing about pumping pollutants into the atmosphere.

Depends on how you look at it.
Dec 20, 2018 — In the 1900s, Hungarian physicist Theodore von Kármán determined the boundary to be around 50 miles up, or roughly 80 kilometers above sea level ...

It’s not clear to me that there’s much CO2 transport above the stratosphere though so those upper layer may not be relevant.

Astros sweep the Mariners, must be global warming. Is there anything you won’t blame on global warming? Probably not. You want it to be global warming because it’s a religion for you. You’re every bit as bad as flat earthers.

TSwizzle is an atheist and therefore not a target for the Mob as non-theists like me are.
Atheist hatred runs deep and bitter.

Atheists can be as screwy as theists. Identifying as atheist does not say anything about what you do believe.

Those of us other than you two on the this thread are atheists who believe science is the primary source of physical knowledge, who acyually undertsand science and math.

Pariah again, do you understand the atmosphere around you is a thin finite volume of air? A yes or no will suffice.

Do you realize pollutants pumped into the atmosphere do not just vanish? Yes or no again.

Answer or do more hand waving.

Astros sweep the Mariners, must be global warming. Is there anything you won’t blame on global warming? Probably not. You want it to be global warming because it’s a religion for you. You’re every bit as bad as flat earthers.

TSwizzle is an atheist and therefore not a target for the Mob as non-theists like me are.
Atheist hatred runs deep and bitter.
You want a cup of coffee to go along with that victim complex?

I mean...seriously. If I walked into a Catholic church, shit on the floor, smashed some stained glass windows and demanded I be treated fairly, I'd be hauled out of the place.

I couldn't call myself "CatholicPariah."

I'd just be an asshole.

Why is what you're doing here any different?

Oh look! Pretty pictures with no source!

Anyway, on the subject of hippos, yesterday I was listening to Snap Judgement on NPR, and they had a harrowing tale of a safari guide who was nearly killed by a rampaging hippo. Shit's dangerous, yo.

Episode
I can help! It's from PragerU! The presenter is a whore named Alex Epstein, who is bought and payed for by Koch Industries. So a propaganda youtube channel owned by the fossil fuel frackers the Wilks Brothers is giving a Koch industry whore a platform to lie about fossil fuels.

I'd be pretty ashamed to accurately source it as well, to be honest.

Ice cores have shown that the CO2 concentration remained below 300ppm for at least 800,000 years, fluctuating as low as about 180 or so in the ice ages. But in the last hundred years, the concentration has increased by about 50%.

Our friend would have us believe that 96% percent of this increase in atmospheric CO2 is from decomposition within the biosphere.

How many plants and animals would it take to account for a 50% increase? Do you think we would notice that much death of plants and animals?
Apparently, human activity isn't having any effect on climate. There's nothing to worry about at all, it's just that almost every living thing on Earth is dying and rotting.

Oh wait...

Now on to the improperly named "Periodic Table."

Mendeleev published his first "periodic system," and it was renamed "The Periodic Table of the Elements," which grammatically and scientifically improper name has stuck ever since. This misnamed icon can be found in high schools, universities and laboratories all around the world - all ignorantly incorrect!

Scientific papers are carefully edited for content and grammar, while the Table remains overlooked these 150 years by tens or hundreds of millions. How so? Adjectives modify the noun immediately following them. We do not say

"The black man's eye," but rather "The man's black eye." The former is correct; the latter is not. So too The *Periodic (sic) Table*.

It is the elements which are periodic, not the table. It should be renamed "The Table of Periodic Elements." It is not "the black man's eye" and it is not "the periodic table."
Actually, periodic would be an adjective to describe the behavior shown in the table. Had it been called the "Periodic Tables", then the tables themselves would be considered periodic. Seriously, is this what keeps you up at night?!

I don't even think Izzard or Carlin could even twist that verbiage above into humor, nor I.

That global temperatures are risng is an measured fact.

An imperceptible rise in temperature does not a crisis make.
It does when it messes with building codes, levees, flood levels, etc...

Our flood control systems were designed to maintain protection for a flood of some period. Some are built for the 500+ yr events, so it seems less likely those are at risk, but the 100 yrs or sooner, that is a problem. When our infrastructure (or even the geology) isn't adapted to the conditions it is exposed to, that costs money, can cost lives, can cause a lot of trouble.

Engineers are dealing with this because it is a real problem. You can call it a cult all you want. Some claims might be on the extreme side, much like doomsday preppers are hoarding awful prepacked food for armageddon, but the reality is, we are already seeing issues with climate change in the ocean and atmospheric temperatures, sea levels (melting ice isn't the only cause of rising levels... talk to South Carolina), and a piling up of historic weather events both in flooding and record high temps (ever recorded, monthly, and seasonal).

So here’s a guy spamming the board with this junk while stating that he will no longer reply to anyone. What conclusions can we draw from this?
Usually when I see these elsewhere, the conclusion I draw is "they are a preachy spammer."

So here’s a guy spamming the board with this junk while stating that he will no longer reply to anyone. What conclusions can we draw from this?
Usually when I see these elsewhere, the conclusion I draw is "they are a preachy spammer."
Elsewhere sounds like a good place for all of this troll's posts.

Elsewhere sounds like a good place for all of this [...]'s posts.
So, a word of advice, when someone is behaving in a very negative way, it is best to point out the behavior not the person, or at best point to the behavior while discussing it has a very specific source.. I could accept that eventually, this "pariah" will spam and post enough bad faith to get ejected, but it is better to let them rage and howl without being so forward as to say what they are.

They can eventually change, even if they may not change everything about themselves, at some (probably distant, if extent) point in the future.

It is best not to give a role for such people to sink into, but to present a better example.

Do I think they are behaving badly?

Absolutely.

Do I think this will result in their ejection from this place?

Absolutely.

Do I think they will have earned it?

Of course.

But that makes them no more a spammer than testicles make someone a "man". It just makes them a really shitty example of a "good citizen" or whatever they think they are being.

The problem is we have a threshold for conformity to "being a good citizen here", as arbitrary as that may be, and it includes not saying things as a one-way torrent of obtuse one-liners and spammy pictures; this is a disruptive unilateral behavior, after all and is not conducive to any kind of intelligent conversation.

To be fair that's a lot less arbitrary and capricious than what we would find if we visited one of this person's haunts.

You are confusing weather and climate.
Not confusing. Intentionally conflating.

Well, he isn't replying to anyone, just posting (spamming?) images with text on them that someone else made.

Sea rise from temperature rise is global right now.

The City of Miami Beach is raising streets in an effort to protect the city from the impending sea level rise. We all know that the Sunset Harbour and West Avenue neighborhoods of Miami Beach have been BURIED by construction over the past couple of years, but this new project all but guarantees that construction will continue for the time being. In all honesty, the construction is welcome, considering that we are all well aware that every year, we are seeing our streets flooded with more and more water. The West Avenue and Sunset Harbour areas are consistently underwater due to sea level rise, and raising them is one major aspect of the City’s solution.

March 2, 2021
Officials in Miami-Dade County, where climate models predict two feet or more of sea-level rise by 2060, have released an upbeat strategy for living with more water, one that focused on elevating homes and roads, more dense construction farther inland and creating more open space for flooding in low-lying areas.
That blueprint, made public on Friday, portrayed rising seas as mostly manageable, especially for a low-lying area with a century of experience managing water.
Climate experts, though, warned that the county’s plan downplayed the magnitude of the threat, saying it failed to warn residents and developers about the risk of continuing to build near the coast in a county whose economy depends heavily on waterfront real estate.

Manhattan is right at sea level. My sisyer's hose on LI is about 2 feet above sea level.

Global warming is driving dangerous and disruptive flooding in underground rail systems around the world. Flooded tunnels and stations have disrupted service and stranded passengers in Boston, London, San Francisco, Taipei, Bangkok, Washington, D.C., and a host of other cities in recent years.

But the problem has taken on added urgency this summer, with multiple, high-profile subway floods driven by summer rainstorms.

Overnight, the remnants of Hurricane Ida flooded much of the New York City subway. Mayor Bill de Blasio issued a travel ban and warned residents to "stay off subways" as up to 10 inches of rain fell in some parts of the region in a matter of hours.

It is the third time New York's subways have flooded this summer and the first time the National Weather Service issued a flash flood emergency warning for the city. Heavy rain has also repeatedly swamped underground tracks in Boston.

Many Asian cities are ahead of the curve​

Many U.S. cities are a decade or more into adapting their subway systems to a wetter climate. In Boston, the transit authority has started waterproofing stations and protecting tracks that are vulnerable to sea level rise. After Hurricane Sandy flooded miles of subway tunnels, New York poured millions of dollars into flood control for the nation's largest underground rail system. In Washington, the transit authority has spent millions of dollars waterproofing leaky tunnels and plans to spend even more to keep water out of vents and station entrances.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is exploring using inflatable and expandable devices to seal subway tunnels and prevent the type of flooding that crippled the system during Hurricane Sandy, a top transit official said Monday.

I attached a show on Tokyo's flood control system.

An intricate system of dams, levees and tunnels defends the Japan’s capital. Will it be able to cope with climate change?

Cecilia Tortajada recalls making her way down a long staircase and into of one of Japan’s engineering marvels, an enormous water tank that crowns Tokyo’s defences against flooding. When she finally reached the tank’s ground, she stood among the dozens of 500-tonne pillars supporting the ceiling. In the cavernous, shrine-like cistern, she felt humbled.
“You find yourself being a tiny part of this humongous system,” recalls Tortajada, a water management expert at Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy’s Institute of Water Policy, in Singapore. “You realise how well prepared Tokyo is.”
If Japan is a pilgrimage destination for disaster and risk-management experts like her, this is one of its main temples. The floodwater cathedral hidden 22 meters underground is part of the Metropolitan Area Outer Underground Discharge Channel (MAOUDC), a 6.3 km long system of tunnels and towering cylindrical chambers that protect North Tokyo from flooding.

FAIL! The rise in temperature associated with climate change leads to a general reduction in the proportion of precipitation falling as snow, and a consequent reduction in many areas in the duration of snow cover.” — Global Environmental Change, Nigel W. Arnell, Geographer, 1 Oct 1999
Why do you call this a fail? I've lived in Michigan my enire life. We get far less snow today than we got when I was a kid. Our local ski resort had to close because the snowfall is so much less today and mechanical snow makers couldn't make up for the lack of snow from the sky.

FAIL! “Harsh winters likely will be more seldom and precipitation in the wintertime will be heavier everywhere. However, due to the milder temperatures, it’ll fall more often as rain than as snow.” — Online-Atlas of the Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft, 2010

FAIL! More heat waves, no snow in the winter… Climate models… over 20 times more precise than the UN IPCC global models. In no other country do we have more precise calculations of climate consequences. They should form the basis for political planning… Temperatures in the wintertime will rise the most… there will be less cold air coming to Central Europe from the east…In the Alps winters will be 2°C warmer already between 2021 and 2050.” — Max Planck Institute for Meteorology, Hamburg, September 2, 2008.
This is exactly what is happening here.

The climate simulations as I recall say some areas may get drier, some wetter.

Global warming does not men uniform temperature rise in all places. It means the average temperature goes up.

Unless you think the rise in sea levels is due to water cuming from nowhere, it is melting ice. How do you melt ice?

Back
Top Bottom