• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Great Conjunction

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
The Great Conjunction - What do you need to know?

What is a conjunction? A word used to connect clauses or sentences

What will happen during the Great Conjunction? Jupiter and Saturn will collide and explode.

When will the Great Conjunction happen? Impact is on December 21st.

Is there a time? Yes.

How can I see it? Using a telescope you can see it really well. Using binoculars you can see it pretty well. Using your eyeballs, you'll see it just fine if you can squint really really hard.

Has this ever happened before? Many times.

Is there any danger to Earth? Yes, but you aren't cleared to hear about it.

Hey, wait a sec! Is this Covid-19 thing just a massive conspiracy to keep people inside so they don't notice the millions of people moving into mine shafts?! Hundreds of thousands.

That is about it. So keep... looking up!
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbVpl9UYzHU[/YOUTUBE]

Looks like the 8" Newtonian we ordered will be arriving before the event! Just need to have a couple days to get it up and running... and knowing how to run it.

Now if I can just find a spot that has a clear view of the SW sky. And the clear could be the problem. Looks like overcast (in Ohio, no way!) until the 21st, where it becomes mostly cloudy and the 22nd indicates partly sunny.

Oh Christ. Don't tell me. The Trumpsters will be out looking for what's directly under the conjunction "star" -- you know, like how the wise men in Matthew found the "one" building that was directly "under" the magic star. They'll be looking for the new-born orange babe, the one prophesied in the Maga-nificat, perhaps in an outbuilding on a farm, perhaps in a 2008 Ford Taurus. They'll bring gifts of gold -- lots of gold, and sildenafil for the long haul, and myrrh, or at least a merkin. Also, more portions of gold, including coins, bars, and cold and hot water sink handles. Damien Trump, meet your world. World, meet Damien Trump.

Telescope arriving Wednesday. W00t! And I think I found a spot to use it. An hour drive, but it'd be worth it. But cloud cover will be key.

Well, cloud cover went from problematic to clusterfuck. No conjunction view within a couple hours or more of a drive. And with rain changing to snow late afternoon, driving isn't the wisest thing.

Telescope waiting for a clear sky.

Had clear skies here last night. Great sight. Used binoculars first then set up my kids’ cheap telescope (about as good as my binoculars) just outside my house. Could see the Galilean moons and also see the oblong shape of Saturn due to the rings. Got a crappy iPhone photo through the telescope.not sure how to attach it to this post.

Telescope arriving Wednesday. W00t! And I think I found a spot to use it. An hour drive, but it'd be worth it. But cloud cover will be key.

Why do you have to drive an hour away? The planets are very bright.

But low over the horizon. Trees, neighbours' houses, nearby hills and city haze can all become a thing.

I actually noticed it myself when walking without prior reading about it. Couple of days ago.
Kinda hard to miss two bright stars so close to each other.

Why do you have to drive an hour away? The planets are very bright.

Because NE Ohio has a lot more clear spots looking out to the north than to the south.

Fair enough. They are reasonably high right at sunset. I just wanted to make sure you didn't think you had to find a dark spot, like looking for a comet. Last night I first looked through binoculars through my living room window over the top of the three story townhouse across the street. Once it dipped below the roofline, I went outside and set up the telescope outside my neighbor's garage, where I had a view between buildings for a bit.

I actually noticed it myself when walking without prior reading about it. Couple of days ago.
It is a lot easier to miss it in NE Ohio... which is one of the reasons we had a military arsenal here. Had Copernicus and Galileo lived in Northeast Ohio, we'd still have the geocentric model.

Because NE Ohio has a lot more clear spots looking out to the north than to the south.

Fair enough. They are reasonably high right at sunset. I just wanted to make sure you didn't think you had to find a dark spot, like looking for a comet.
Oh goodness no. This is about line of sight. Where I am, there are a lot of narrow valleys... all pointing the wrong way. Course, the overcast makes it all irrelevant. Day after Xmas might be the first clear night, so they'll still be close-ish. I haven't used the scope yet, so I have no idea what I'll see. I need to do the math on the eye pieces.

It is a lot easier to miss it in NE Ohio... which is one of the reasons we had a military arsenal here. Had Copernicus and Galileo lived in Northeast Ohio, we'd still have the geocentric model.
Too much light pollution? everywhere?

Cloud cover.

Cloud cover.
Every day?
Yeah, didn't say that.
I once visited PA hear OH border once and it was clear and very dark sky, millions of stars can be seen.
That's wonderful! One night extrapolated to infinity!

I-80 in northwestern PA actually is a great place to check out the stars... or along many places along I-80, as it is further from population centers than I-76.

But Ohio has a cloud cover issue. It certainly isn't the worst in the world, but in Columbus, over half the days are overcast.

I really want to get up to Tobermory in the late fall, early spring, as that is the tip of Bruce Peninsula, so it is quite isolated all around. In the summer, the black flies are awful! In Ohio, skies can get dark, especially as you move from the cities, but metropolitan light pollution is nothing compared to cloud cover. Of which a two hour drive around Akron has been mostly overcast for a number of days... and will continue until at least Saturday.

Every day?
Yeah, didn't say that.
I once visited PA hear OH border once and it was clear and very dark sky, millions of stars can be seen.
That's wonderful! One night extrapolated to infinity!

I-80 in northwestern PA actually is a great place to check out the stars... or along many places along I-80, as it is further from population centers than I-76.

But Ohio has a cloud cover issue. It certainly isn't the worst in the world, but in Columbus, over half the days are overcast.

I really want to get up to Tobermory in the late fall, early spring, as that is the tip of Bruce Peninsula, so it is quite isolated all around. In the summer, the black flies are awful! In Ohio, skies can get dark, especially as you move from the cities, but metropolitan light pollution is nothing compared to cloud cover. Of which a two hour drive around Akron has been mostly overcast for a number of days... and will continue until at least Saturday.

Not one night, few nights. Even if you suffer from the lake effect you still have to have some cloudless days.

Back
Top Bottom