• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The human mind

All you have said is you don't like the fact that the mind is multifaceted with more than one function.

Yet another pathetic strawman.

The brain creates the experience of “mind ordering brain to move hand to pick up cup” for the “mind” to experience.

You can’t avoid it.

The brain creates the cup for the brain to experience.

You mean for the “mind” to experience.

And the only way to pick it up is by ordering the brain to do it.

False. The brain can simply “order” the hand to do it and evidently does in your own scenario as well, as, once again, it is the brain that creates the experiences for the “mind.”

Mind ordering brain to pick up cup is an “experience.” Therefore, according to your OWN terms, it must necessarily be the brain that created that experience.

The hand will not move without the mental command.

So your brain would have your “mind” experience.

You lie if you say it will.

Oooh and will my pants catch on fire too?

The brain creates the cup for the brain to experience.

You mean for the “mind” to experience.

Yes I do.

And the only way to pick it up is by ordering the brain to do it.

False. The brain can simply “order” the hand to do it and evidently does in your own scenario as well, as, once again, it is the brain that creates the experiences for the “mind.”

Just sit there and wait for the brain to type out your next response.

Don't give any mental commands.

Have a nice life.

- - - Updated - - -

The mind is that which acts on urges.

Urges are actions. Unnecessary for an intermediary to act on actions.

Poof.

Urges are something a mind experiences.

You can't seem to separate the urge to pee from the little sphincter being stretched.

Poof!

Just sit there and wait for the brain to type out your next response.

Oh, look at that! It just did it. And there, too! And this!

Don't give any mental commands.

You mean, don’t use my brain to create the experience of “mental commands”?

Have a nice life.

Nice evasion, but that’s all it is and all it ever will be. You fucked yourself and you know it.

The brain...is creating things for the mind to experience.

The brain creates the “mind” and it creates the “things for the mind to experience.”

As previously noted, you’ve fucked yourself.

Yep.

Oh my.

A multifaceted mind.

Maybe I am fucked?

Considering nobody I'm talking to knows one thing about the mind I seriously doubt it.

Their shrill claims from ignorance are getting boring.

Nothing but wild unsubstantiated claims from ignorance.

And lies about a mental command that must be given before the hand moves to pick up the cup.

Last edited:
Maybe I am fucked?

No question about it.

Considering nobody I'm talking to knows one thing about the mind I seriously doubt it.

:thumbsup: You keep telling yourself that. Oh, sorry, you keep having your brain prepare the experience of "telling myself that."

And lies about a mental command that must be given before the hand moves to pick up the cup.

:eating_popcorn:

You made no point.

You have no point.

Except the top of your head.

You command your little fingers to type out words and don't even know you're doing it.

Ignorance is bliss.

You can't seem to separate the urge to pee from the little sphincter being stretched.

Poof!

Point is mind isn't necessary for experiencing urges so just leave it out of the conversation since using the term adds nothing to explaining experience or machine for experience.

Apparently I have to repeat myself now just for you.

Poof.

Poof!

Point is mind isn't necessary for experiencing urges so just leave it out of the conversation since using the term adds nothing to explaining experience or machine for experience.

Apparently I have to repeat myself now just for you.

Poof.

No mind = no urges.

What you mean is without a mind you still have sphinctors but no way to know anything about them.

If the brain is intelligent enough to create a "mind" to begin with and has the ability to cull and create relevant experience packets of particular information from the trillions of bits of information it processes every nano-second from all of the various sensory input devices that make up the human body for the "mind" to experience AND it has the ability to imbue the "mind" with a sense of autonomy within those virtual maps, then it necessarily follows that the brain is primary and knows more than the "mind" ever could.

The "mind" is therefore nothing more than a tool--like a robotic arm--that the brain uses. A puppet, in fact, that the brain animates and uses for various survival skills. Nothing more, nor less.

Iow:

[video]https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/embed/14149f83-b33e-481e-a99d-f6bfb30c03c1?autoplay=false[/video]

A mind is not created with intelligence.

It is created by rigid reflex.

Everything the brain does is reflexive, unlike a mind.

Thus the evolutionary advantage of having a decision making mechanism that is active and contemplative, a mind.

To not know how a reflexive brain creates a contemplative mind is miles from showing it isn't the case.

To even try to make a case proves the mind is autonomous. It is accepting or rejecting ideas based on the ideas themselves not some "programming".

A mind is not created with intelligence.

You have no idea what a "mind" is let alone how it may or may not be created.

Everything the brain does is reflexive

Evidently not if it can create a "mind," select pertinent bits of information from a stream of trillions of bits of information to prepare "experiences" for the "mind" to experience--including the experience of "autonomy"--and superimpose that analogue into the virtual maps it also makes of the external world.

Once again you fuck yourself with your own terms.

:eating_popcorn:

To not know how a reflexive brain creates a contemplative mind is miles from showing it isn't the case.

To even try to make a case proves the mind is autonomous. It is accepting or rejecting ideas based on the ideas themselves not some "programming".

Oh my.

A multifaceted mind.

Maybe I am fucked?

It is your claim that is unsubstantiated. It is you who claim that nothing is known about the mind, yet persist in claiming to know something about the mind; that it has autonomy from the brain, that the mind controls the brain.

You do that in spite of evidence to the contrary. Which you dismiss. You simply dismiss all the research, the experiments, the case studies, the analysis of experts in their field as worthless.....because you know better.

You 'know better' because you can lift your arm at will....meanwhile ignoring the means of your experience, which goes back to research, which you dismiss.

You are not in a position to mention such things as ''wild unsubstantiated claims from ignorance'' because that it your position.

It is your claim that is unsubstantiated. It is you who claim that nothing is known about the mind.......

Nothing objective is known.

But we have a rich subjective understanding of the mind because that is what we are.

Some just understand what they are and what they can do better than others.

I freely choose which ideas I accept and which I reject.

And I do it based on the ideas themselves. And ideas only exist in minds.

I do not do it because some brain mechanism forces me.

If what you say is because some brain mechanism is forcing you then you are not like me. You are subhuman.

I do not do it because some brain mechanism forces me.

If what you say is because some brain mechanism is forcing you then you are not like me. You are subhuman.

Saying that just shows that you have not understood what is being said.

Your remark still implies dualism, brain mechanism acting upon you as a separate entity, ''forcing you'' to do this or that.

That is not how it works.

Nobody has made that claim.

That is your strawman based on your own dualistic view on brain and mind, hence, a false claim.

Not the dualism shit again.

You do not know what the body is or what the mind is so your claims of dualism are merely claims of stupidity.

Back
Top Bottom