• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The NFL Fumbles the Ball

Why should "domestic abuse" be lifted above all the other crimes NFL players engage in? Why is violence against women considered a bigger problem than violence against men (even though men are much more likely to be victims of violent crime)? Double standards again.
Well, this wasn't comparing 'against women' criminals to 'against men' criminals getting a double standard.
It's comparing an 'against woman' crime to a rather victimless crime of smoking a joint. It's a clear case of 'no one gets hurt' punishment vs. 'someone gets hurt but no one important gets hurt.'
It's not that she is not important, it's that she herself doesn't view it as serious enough to call off the wedding.

Well, this wasn't comparing 'against women' criminals to 'against men' criminals getting a double standard.
It's comparing an 'against woman' crime to a rather victimless crime of smoking a joint. It's a clear case of 'no one gets hurt' punishment vs. 'someone gets hurt but no one important gets hurt.'
It's not that she is not important, it's that she herself doesn't view it as serious enough to call off the wedding.

Putting responsibility in the victim is not a good idea, because people by and large aren't responsible. It's basically like saying "we're going to allow this person to get assaulted because she could have avoided it".

How about we just create rules that tend to protect people.

Putting responsibility in the victim is not a good idea, because people by and large aren't responsible. It's basically like saying "we're going to allow this person to get assaulted because she could have avoided it".

I am not blaming her for the attack (although I do not know the details) but if he really assaulted and abused her she is to blame for staying with him.

Talking about the NFL and that organization's stance on its players engaging in domestic abuse.
Why should "domestic abuse" be lifted above all the other crimes NFL players engage in? Why is violence against women considered a bigger problem than violence against men (even though men are much more likely to be victims of violent crime)? Double standards again.
The OP points out there is a double standard - the NFL punishment for smoking a joint is harsher than it is for engaging in domestic violence. As for your off point favorite hobby horse about gender equality,- the NFL endorses and encourages violence against men: it's an integral part of the game.

Talking about the NFL and that organization's stance on its players engaging in domestic abuse.

Because this particular incendent is about domestic abuse. This is not a conspiracy but about how the NFL treated this player and how this incident is not unique.

If the other other crimes and misdemeanors of NFL players vex you so, feel free at any time to start multiple threads of the topic, but you won't because you never do. Which makes one wonder if NFL criminality is what is really irking you so.

Because this particular incendent is about domestic abuse. This is not a conspiracy but about how the NFL treated this player and how this incident is not unique.

If the other other crimes and misdemeanors of NFL players vex you so, feel free at any time to start multiple threads of the topic, but you won't because you never do. Which makes one wonder if NFL criminality is what is really irking you so.

Well, if we're talking about domestic violence, then of course this is all part of a conspiracy to persecute men, because all men beat their wives, therefore complaining about men beating their wives is the same thing as oppressing men for being men. [/conservolibertarian]

I am not blaming her for the attack (although I do not know the details)...
Classic Derec comment.

Easier said than done. The psychological trauma and terror which fuels the physical abuse is paralyzing for many women.

And that is relevant to NFL policy because.......?

So, what's the general "liberal" view on how much this black union member whose union fights for his right to work (on the NFL plantation) should be punished, assuming you are the sort of liberal that thinks people should be punished at all?

Among the conservatives I have listened to on this there is a view he should have been punished significantly more. At least as much as the people who made insensitive comments about gays, anyway.

So, what's the general "liberal" view on how much this black union member whose union fights for his right to work (on the NFL plantation) should be punished, assuming you are the sort of liberal that thinks people should be punished at all?

Among the conservatives I have listened to on this there is a view he should have been punished significantly more. At least as much as the people who made insensitive comments about gays, anyway.

IOW,

dismal has nothing to add to the discussion. Since the question isn't about unions, plantations, liberals, conservatives or gays the above doesn't address the comparison of punishments issued between pot smoking and aggregated assault.

I'd really like to hear "the details" under which she could be blamed for this attack... no wait, I don't
It could be a mutually physically abusive relationship - kind of like Marissa Alexander and her ex (where the feminist Left views Marissa solely as "domestic violence victim" despite all the evidence for her being a perpetrator as well).

IOW,

dismal has nothing to add to the discussion. Since the question isn't about unions, plantations, liberals, conservatives or gays the above doesn't address the comparison of punishments issued between pot smoking and aggregated assault.
So what's new about that?

Why should "domestic abuse" be lifted above all the other crimes NFL players engage in?...
Who asked for it to be "lifted above"? Athena's comment, which you quoted, said
Smoking a joint gets you harsher penalties than beating your fiancee unconcious and dragging her limp body by the hair.

I want you to point out to me where she said she wants domestic abuse (that you put in scare quotes) to "be lifted above all the other crimes NFL players engage in". I'm serious Derec, I want you to answer this post by pointing out where she said anything like that. Otherwise, it is just your double-standards again.

I'd really like to hear "the details" under which she could be blamed for this attack... no wait, I don't
It could be a mutually physically abusive relationship - kind of like Marissa Alexander and her ex (where the feminist Left views Marissa solely as "domestic violence victim" despite all the evidence for her being a perpetrator as well).
Yeah, a tag team like thing. So honey, is it my turn or your turn to knock the other unconscious?

Lets use the criminal justice system against anyone who commits unlawful violence against anyone else, regardless of who the victim is. It doesn't look like the facts in this case are in dispute, so I do think that 2 games is too light a punishment.

Lets use the criminal justice system against anyone who commits unlawful violence against anyone else, regardless of who the victim is. It doesn't look like the facts in this case are in dispute, so I do think that 2 games is too light a punishment.

Do you think a four game suspension ffor marijuana use, even in the off season, is too harsh, too light, or just right?

Back
Top Bottom