• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Nones

ideologyhunter

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism/beatnikism
I find the term "nones" to be frustrating because it stands for such a mishmash of positions -- it includes everything from strong atheist to pantheist. Its chief importance is probably that it indicates how, in the U.S., and even more so in western Europe, the big denominations are cratering. The Washington Post ran a piece recently on a new study from the Pew Research Center which gives new details on the nones. Some of the takeways:
The nones polled at 5% of Americans in 1972, reached a high of 30% in 2022, and polled last year at 28%.
At the start of the 1990s, about 90% of Americans self-identified as Christian; now it's 60%.
Among the nones, 17% are atheist and 20% are agnostic. If I did my math correctly, just over 10% of the general population are atheist/agnostic.
Back to the nones: the other 63% are "nothing in particular", but that's a bit deceptive, as it includes respondents who say they believe in a soul, in a higher power, etc. This group has abandoned denominational Christianity for a variety of stated reasons: it "causes division and intolerance and encourages superstition and illogical thinking." However, 58% of all the nones say religion "helps society by giving people meaning and purpose."
69% of the nones are younger than 50, which is probably more bad news for traditional Christianity.
I'm heartened overall -- almost a third of Americans have no church affiliation. That would have seemed unthinkable when I was a kid (late 50s through the 60s.) I'm hoping that opposition to the assault on Roe will show us that the Christian Right has already reached its high water mark. Of course, they intend to run the country by minority rule if they can get away with it. No easy way to marginalize them -- yet.
It is easier and easier to self-identify as non-religious. That's a big plus. I started freely describing myself as atheist about thirty years ago, and it's not a big deal at all in the settings I find myself in. Also, it doesn't come up much anymore, because proselytizing is less common (again, where I live.)
It's tantalizing to wonder how these stats will come out in another twenty, thirty years. Will the U.S. become a truly secular society?

Is there a Japanese word for 'enlightened'?
I would like that.
Someone once proposed 'brights', that sounds pretentious to me.
But I could get behind the Japanese equivalent.

It should be something that forces the religionists to be a-prefixed.
Realist / Arealist
Naturalist / Anaturalist
Logist / Alogist
Empiracist / Anempiricist

AMormon
AShinto
AMuslim
AHindu

Really, the list is very long.
Tom

It should be something that forces the religionists to be a-prefixed.
Realist / Arealist
Naturalist / Anaturalist
Logist / Alogist
Empiracist / Anempiricist
An anempiricist would never want to be thought to be an empiricist. And an empiticist wouldn't want to be mistaken for an anempiricist. This could cause a lot of confusion.

Well, then, to avoid confusing or antagonistic language, a none could call him/herself a 'non-uniform synthesizer' (NUS.) A nus is simply someone who doesn't accept one orthodox explanation. And anyone who can't claim the title of nus...

Last edited:
I am a Hummanist. Not to be confused with Humanist,

Us Hummanists believe humming is a sacred way to enlightenment.

Hum..Hummmmmmmmm... hum hum.

The ranks of the nones include non-denominational 'spiritual' theists who don't identify with one distinct religion.

Yes, and again, that's why 'none' is a quirky and irritating label. It's shoe-horning a lot of disparate people together. It matters mainly when one is analyzing why mainstream congregations have shed so many members in the last quarter century.

There's a difference between "No Religious Preference" and "Prefers No Religion."
This is the rub.
All these terms are vague references to abstract concepts.
I don't care what dictionary you consider Holy Writ, nobody can say what words like God, atheist, religion, etc mean to everyone.
Tom

Ad the bottomless debate on categories and meaning ensues.

In Bohm's book on Quantum Mechanics he makes a passnig idea on an uncertainty principle of the mind.

Paraphrasing, the more you try to precisely define something the more diffuse and ill defined it becomes.

Back
Top Bottom