• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Olympics

So do I, after all Rio hosted the 2007 Panamerican games with plenty of water sports on the exact same waters (which were more polluted back then) nobody got sick or had any problems.

Exactly. Also, the four extra arms that all the rowers grew really helped them out in future competitions so people need to stop whining.

Last edited:
It sure does not look like a million dollars, but compared to the place they used to live...

It sure does not look like a million dollars, but compared to the place they used to live...

Many of the demolished homes were far nicer than where they are now, plus they were near their work and social circles rather than 50 miles outside of the city, plus most of them were moved into remote villages completely controlled by criminal militias that control who comes and goes and extort residents for basic utilities and access to their own homes.

There is a reason why few residents moved willingly without physical and financial threats made against them by the government.

Two things:

In watching the women's team qualifying gymnastics meets today, I am disappointed to see that the women's floor routine still includes music, so the women can dance and wiggle their asses, and the commentators can gush about them 'putting the artistic in artistic gymnastics' but the men's floor routine still does not include music. Aren't the men doing 'artistic gymnastics' as well?

Why are women having to be 'artistic' with their gymnastics AND showing strength and flexibility but the men don't have to bother showing how graceful and sexy on the dance floor they are?

It's the 21st century people!

It's like the saying, men sure do like women when they do tricks.

And I'm sorry, I know people are saying it's actually a good thing and 'history' that a Muslim American Ibtihaj Muhammad will be the first woman to compete at the elite level at the Olympics wearing a hijab. But do the people praising this realize that she was encouraged to go into fencing so she could hide her body even more?

That her parents did not like her doing other sports because she 'showed off' her body in ways her religion did not approve?

I wonder what other sports Ibthihaj might have excelled in if she wasn't told she had to hide her body as much as possible.

It's sad and nothing praiseworthy.

Last edited:
Two things:

In watching the women's team qualifying gymnastics meets today, I am disappointed to see that the women's floor routine still includes music, so the women can dance and wiggle their asses, and the commentators can gush about them 'putting the artistic in artistic gymnastics' but the men's floor routine still does not include music. Aren't the men doing 'artistic gymnastics' as well?

Why are women having to be 'artistic' with their gymnastics AND showing strength and flexibility but the men don't have to bother showing how graceful and sexy on the dance floor they are?

And I'm sorry, I know people are saying it's actually a good thing and 'history' that a Muslim American Ibtihaj Muhammad will be the first woman to compete at the elite level at the Olympics wearing a hijab. But do the people praising this realize that she was encouraged to go into fencing so she could hide her body even more?

That her parents did not like her doing other sports because she 'showed off' her body in ways her religion did not approve?

I wonder what other sports Ibthihaj might have excelled in if she wasn't told she had to hide her body as much as possible.

Actually, I think it makes sense.

The men's routines are mostly about power. The women's routines are as much about grace as power.

Well, I don't personally know what she or her parents think about her body and what to show. You don't have to be Muslim to think that girls shouldn't be showing off lots of skin like a lot of teenagers do these days. Whatever the reason she got into fencing, it's great that she excelled at it and in recognition of her excellence she got to attend the Olympics. I think that if she really didn't like fencing, she wouldn't be where she is, so it's not like her parents drove her to that excellence due to their desire for her to be more hidden from view. If she had really liked Soccer, then maybe they would have found a way for her to play it in her hijab and some tights or something to cover up.

It sounds like your issue is with Muslims who believe they should cover up a woman's body. That's a valid criticism and worthy of its own discussion, but I'd hate to see this young woman's great accomplishments be sullied by negative views of her religious decisions.

Well, I don't personally know what she or her parents think about her body and what to show. You don't have to be Muslim to think that girls shouldn't be showing off lots of skin like a lot of teenagers do these days. Whatever the reason she got into fencing, it's great that she excelled at it and in recognition of her excellence she got to attend the Olympics. I think that if she really didn't like fencing, she wouldn't be where she is, so it's not like her parents drove her to that excellence due to their desire for her to be more hidden from view. If she had really liked Soccer, then maybe they would have found a way for her to play it in her hijab and some tights or something to cover up.

It sounds like your issue is with Muslims who believe they should cover up a woman's body. That's a valid criticism and worthy of its own discussion, but I'd hate to see this young woman's great accomplishments be sullied by negative views of her religious decisions.

They had an interview with her parents. I'm paraphrasing what her mother said. It was indeed about wanting her daughter to hide her body more than other sports. Her mother said exactly that.

So no, this isn't my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Two things:

The men's routines are mostly about power. The women's routines are as much about grace as power.

Men can be graceful as well. That's what ballet is all about. So why is it men don't have to show that in gymnastics but women do?

Brazil,really.The fotbal thing was a mess.The Olympic Games this summer will be a mess.
Feces in the harbor.

I have to wonder how desperate a person would have to be to compete in an event where they'll be forced to flick turds out of the way in order to clear a path to swim. They should have moved the open water swimming events somewhere else.

The news media focused on sections of the Bay and places where no one will compete. Guanabara bay is 3 times the size of Manhattan.

Largely sensationalism. The athletes and the Olympic committee had been following the water situation for years and were asked many times whether they wanted to change the water sports to a more distant part of the coast, but they chose not to.

http://olimpiadas.uol.com.br/notici...ela-elogia-condicoes-da-baia-de-guanabara.htm

Nick Dempsey (favorite for Gold Medal in sailing) just sailed on the Bay and earlier today praised the excellent state of the water "the water was shining today"

People are very gullible to beleive the negativist reports of the irresponsible media.

Two things:

Men can be graceful as well. That's what ballet is all about. So why is it men don't have to show that in gymnastics but women do?

Men are far more able to show power. Is it any wonder their routines are more focused on that?

- - - Updated - - -

I have to wonder how desperate a person would have to be to compete in an event where they'll be forced to flick turds out of the way in order to clear a path to swim. They should have moved the open water swimming events somewhere else.

The news media focused on sections of the Bay and places where no one will compete. Guanabara bay is 3 times the size of Manhattan.

Largely sensationalism. The athletes and the Olympic committee had been following the water situation for years and were asked many times whether they wanted to change the water sports to a more distant part of the coast, but they chose not to.

http://olimpiadas.uol.com.br/notici...ela-elogia-condicoes-da-baia-de-guanabara.htm

We just had a kayaker capsize from hitting submerged junk.

Nick Dempsey (favorite for Gold Medal in sailing) just sailed on the Bay and earlier today praised the excellent state of the water "the water was shining today"

People are very gullible to beleive the negativist reports of the irresponsible media.

Yeah, you're very gullible.

Why is gymnastics in the Olympics anyway? It's not a real sport. It's glorified circus acrobatics.
Although it can be dangerous.

Why do men play baseball and women softball? Why do women play 2 won sets in major tennis tournaments and men have to play 3? There are probably differences in some other sports as well.

More or less.
tangerine-still.jpg

Even more ridiculous: hijabs in beach volleyball.
36FBD12C00000578-0-image-a-1_1470641618986.jpg

Germany beat Egypt 2:0. Score for skimpy uniforms! Althogh, the way Germany is going, how long until hijab-style uniforms become mandatory for German women?

I agree.

The water in the Gulf of Mexico was really shining after the BP oil spill. Visual inspection isn't a valid water quality test; you're only proving your own gullibility.

They had an interview with her parents. I'm paraphrasing what her mother said. It was indeed about wanting her daughter to hide her body more than other sports. Her mother said exactly that.

So no, this isn't my opinion.

Well, I guess it makes sense that they would prefer a sport that makes it easier for her to cover up, since that is consistent with how they practice their religion.

Germany beat Egypt 2:0. Score for skimpy uniforms! Althogh, the way Germany is going, how long until hijab-style uniforms become mandatory for German women?

Some may argue that bikinis are ridiculous in beach volleyball. Is this simply a way to get more men to watch women's beach volleyball?

Each side here seems convinced that they're wearing the appropriate attire for their activity. One wonders what they would choose for themselves outside of cultural influences.

More ridiculous than the those volleyball uniforms is all the athletes with cupping marks and KT tape.

I saw the athlete on Colbert's show and she said the same thing about why she took up fencing. The audience applauded and laughed, I think because it was like at least she got to do something. Yeah, but sad that her opportunities were needlessly limited.

Some may argue that bikinis are ridiculous in beach volleyball. Is this simply a way to get more men to watch women's beach volleyball?

Each side here seems convinced that they're wearing the appropriate attire for their activity. One wonders what they would choose for themselves outside of cultural influences.

Both sides are a bid ridiculous, although I would say the bikini is the more appropriate. The one on the left is giving up a slight bit of mobility and force due to her attire.

Both sides are a bid ridiculous, although I would say the bikini is the more appropriate. The one on the left is giving up a slight bit of mobility and force due to her attire.

What the Egyptian woman is wearing is little different from what some of the men wear. The men don't seem to find a loss of mobility:

men vb.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

More ridiculous than the those volleyball uniforms is all the athletes with cupping marks and KT tape.

Yeah what's up with that? Psychological assist? They've both been proven not to be effective.

- - - Updated - - -

Two things:

Men are far more able to show power. Is it any wonder their routines are more focused on that?

So can women.

I don't see why there is different treatment except for the Western patriarchal view that to 'dance and be graceful' means effeminacy or is not important in a sport.

Why is gymnastics in the Olympics anyway? It's not a real sport. It's glorified circus acrobatics.
Although it can be dangerous.

Why do men play baseball and women softball? Why do women play 2 won sets in major tennis tournaments and men have to play 3? There are probably differences in some other sports as well.

I don't know. Why don't they let women play 3 sets in tennis? Why don't they let women play baseball instead of softball?

Back
Top Bottom