• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Olympics

Why is gymnastics in the Olympics anyway? It's not a real sport. It's glorified circus acrobatics.
Although it can be dangerous.

Why do men play baseball and women softball? Why do women play 2 won sets in major tennis tournaments and men have to play 3? There are probably differences in some other sports as well.

I don't know. Why don't they let women play 3 sets in tennis? Why don't they let women play baseball instead of softball?

Why is "doing [insert physical activity] like a girl" an insult for boys/men? We have deep-seated issues in our patriarchal societies -- some are more troublesome than others certainly, but even in the supposed 'free' countries, women still have impediments and opportunity losses due to the system.

Both sides are a bid ridiculous, although I would say the bikini is the more appropriate. The one on the left is giving up a slight bit of mobility and force due to her attire.

What the Egyptian woman is wearing is little different from what some of the men wear. The men don't seem to find a loss of mobility:

View attachment 7738

I should have put some emphasis on "slight". The effect is very small.

Why are people such douchebags?

Look jerks, NBC let you come close to the stage where they are filming live interviews with the medal winners. OK, sure, yeah, wave to mom and your buddies back home behind the person as they are being filmed.

Uh, why are you doing it again?

And again?

And again?

And you keep doing it?

Stupid drunk beeotch, why are you climbing on someone's shoulders so you can circumvent the camera angle that's trying to keep your immature behavior from being captured during the interview?

Still waving, mugging and grinning like an ape?

And again.

And again.

And again?

What are you, autistic?

Fucking stop it already. This is NOT ABOUT YOU.

Brilliant team!!!

I caught parts of both the men's and the women's all-around events. I especially love watching the beam, uneven bars, rings and parallel bars. Watching every single competitor, I think "holy shit how is that even possible".

credoconsolans said:
In watching the women's team qualifying gymnastics meets today, I am disappointed to see that the women's floor routine still includes music, so the women can dance and wiggle their asses, and the commentators can gush about them 'putting the artistic in artistic gymnastics' but the men's floor routine still does not include music. Aren't the men doing 'artistic gymnastics' as well?

Why are women having to be 'artistic' with their gymnastics AND showing strength and flexibility but the men don't have to bother showing how graceful and sexy on the dance floor they are?
I agree--the women's floor exercise is a bit of a joke compared to the men's. Just show us the flips, spins and contortions and leave the dancing for the rhythmic event where it not only looks better, but is more impressive due to the addition of the apparatus.

The Worst Predictions About Rio Haven’t Come True. That Tells Us a Few Things About Brazil and the Media.

Still, even I have to admit that Rio has made dramatic improvements in recent years. Perhaps the most dramatic is that the homicide rate, while still appallingly high, has fallen by two-thirds since the 1990s. Even after a spike in murders this year, it’s now less than half the rate in St. Louis, Missouri. And with 85,000 soldiers and police securing Rio for the Olympics, it’s probably one of the safest places in Latin America at the moment.

That is so bizarre. Every country that has ever held the Olympics in modern times has managed to keep its pools clear, clean blue. But Rio can't? I know their rich people have pools there. Perhaps the Rio Olympic committee needs to call their pool service?

- - - Updated - - -

I caught parts of both the men's and the women's all-around events. I especially love watching the beam, uneven bars, rings and parallel bars. Watching every single competitor, I think "holy shit how is that even possible".

Me too!

credoconsolans said:
In watching the women's team qualifying gymnastics meets today, I am disappointed to see that the women's floor routine still includes music, so the women can dance and wiggle their asses, and the commentators can gush about them 'putting the artistic in artistic gymnastics' but the men's floor routine still does not include music. Aren't the men doing 'artistic gymnastics' as well?

Why are women having to be 'artistic' with their gymnastics AND showing strength and flexibility but the men don't have to bother showing how graceful and sexy on the dance floor they are?
I agree--the women's floor exercise is a bit of a joke compared to the men's. Just show us the flips, spins and contortions and leave the dancing for the rhythmic event where it not only looks better, but is more impressive due to the addition of the apparatus.

Exactly.

That is so bizarre. Every country that has ever held the Olympics in modern times has managed to keep its pools clear, clean blue. But Rio can't? I know their rich people have pools there. Perhaps the Rio Olympic committee needs to call their pool service?

And yet they're dumping in so much chlorine that the athletes are complaining.

And yet they're dumping in so much chlorine that the athletes are complaining.

They need to call the professionals. Clean pools do not look green.

"On Saturday, Olympics organizers finally concluded the strange color was due to a mix-up over pool chemicals. A contractor dumped 80 liters of hydrogen peroxide into the water on the opening day of the Games, without informing them..."

OLYMPICS-RIO-DIVING-POOL-53.jpg

http://www.bakersfield.com/sports/2016/08/13/from-green-pool-to-missing-pontoon-rio-s-problems-persist.html

Clearly, the Olympic Games costs a great deal of money, that could be spent on much more useful things, and so many athletes are on dope nowadays it seems to be only a little superior to commercial wrestling. I must admit that I am prejudiced by hearing druggies called 'Olympians', which means 'gods of Olympus' and being expected to support a non-country like the UK (why not the EU, or just 'Europe'?), but the general point stands. The main BBC news is largely taken up with it, just as if it were important, and I think it is time for a bit of discipline!

Incidentally, I shall never forget trying to swim in a pool in Barcelona that seemed to be full of pure chlorine. Nearly finished me off - a right-wing Republican plot, I expect! :)

Back
Top Bottom